What and when was your first experience of 007 ?

12346»

Comments

• Gerard wrote: »
    I don't kno if I said it on this thread, but my first experience with Bond was in Germany. More precisely in West-Berlin, where my father was stationed as part of the French Forces in Germany. More precisely in this theater :

large.jpg?1440708984

At the time, it was the one place we could see movies in french (too far from France for french TV in those pre-satellite days). And I was a frequent customer when I was allowed to go there (which means (mostly) matinee showings). I saw two Bond movies there : TMWTGG and LALD.

That's very cool, wish my first experience of Bond was as interesting
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I read a James Bond Agent 007 comic magazine in the early 70s, RIVER OF DEATH. I might have been 4 years old, it belonged to my dad. On page two there was a picture from the latest film, OHMSS that looked really cool. George Lazenby in a car threatened with a knife by Draco s thug.

Finally got hold of this magazine again.
    1970_1.jpg
    Looks like a good one.

Dragonpol wrote: »
    I read a James Bond Agent 007 comic magazine in the early 70s, RIVER OF DEATH. I might have been 4 years old, it belonged to my dad. On page two there was a picture from the latest film, OHMSS that looked really cool. George Lazenby in a car threatened with a knife by Draco s thug.

Finally got hold of this magazine again.
    1970_1.jpg

That's one of the comics that Dr Cat features in, isn't it? It's good that you found it again as that's where it all began with Bond for you.
    Yep. Dr Cat was a cool villain.

I've never read any of the comics he was in but I've read about them. I believe he appeared in two Bond comics.

I only know about his appearance in ROD. What is the other?

As well as River of Death, Dr Cat also appeared in the comic strip Flittermouse (1983).

Thanks. I think I have read that at some point many years ago, but had forgotten about it.

I believe "Flittermouse" was Dr Cat's way of referring to his bats as it is an archaic term for bats.

We still use it in Scandinavia and Germany.

Really? That's interesting. We have small bats where I live that look just like a mouse with wings and I sometimes hear them flitting about a night. I think they stay in my neighbour's outhouses through the day. I don't have any bats in the belfry just yet though. ;)
    Just a quick comment, working in a few South Pacific locations I learned the (much larger) fruit bat is referred to as a flying fox. Seems more appropriate for those.

hero-rodrigues-fruit-bat-300x169.jpg
    4raO.gif
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Remember seeing The Spy Who Loved Me once during a ski holiday, and Diamonds Are Forever on German television.

But the first time I consciously saw a Bond film must have been when my brother got The World Is Not Enough on VHS for his 16th birthday.
    I first became aware of Bond when I was a kid, living in Amsterdam at the time and just before moving to Canada. I recall GoldenEye advertising at the Tuschinski theatre, and then Tina Turner's music video was constantly on MTV. But my interest in Bond really took off around 1997-1998 when I saw Austin Powers at the cinema, and TBS had their "15 days of 007" marathon. I managed to record all the films from DN to LTK on VHS (roughly 3 movies per cassette, in a non-chronological order) and saw GE and TND on VHS first as well. It took me some time to figure out the chronology and order of the actors. Between Bond, Austin Powers, and M:I, I was in an espionage nirvana at that time. Then my dad bought me used paperbacks of Fleming's novels (the Pan editions), and those opened up a completely other side of 007 and left a lasting impression on my 10-year old self!
    Live and Let Die on cable. Probably 1988?
  • My first experience with Bond was, I believe, in 2000/2001 (I was about 6 or 7). They were showing Bond films weekly on network television and I happened to see Goldeneye as my first Bond film.

From the opening dam jump to the fight on the satellite dish I was in absolute awe, and the rest was history.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    For me my first Bond experience was seeing TSWLM on tv in 1982. Then in 1983 my dad took my brothers and me to see OP at the local cinema. That had a big effect on me without really knowing it at the time. Then later that year I was taken to see NSNA. It didn't entertain me as much as OP. But I was still hooked. This was followed by MR on tv, and many trips to the local video store to rent whatever Bond films they had. I saw all the Connery films, but was more of a Roger Moore fan as a kid. OP got a lot of rentals from my parents.
    It's amazing that a fictional character in print and on the movie screen can have such an impact on our lives. I can't even think what my life might have been without James Bond.
    Benny wrote: »
    For me my first Bond experience was seeing TSWLM on tv in 1982. Then in 1983 my dad took my brothers and me to see OP at the local cinema. That had a big effect on me without really knowing it at the time. Then later that year I was taken to see NSNA. It didn't entertain me as much as OP. But I was still hooked. This was followed by MR on tv, and many trips to the local video store to rent whatever Bond films they had. I saw all the Connery films, but was more of a Roger Moore fan as a kid. OP got a lot of rentals from my parents.
    It's amazing that a fictional character in print and on the movie screen can have such an impact on our lives. I can't even think what my life might have been without James Bond.

Real close to my first experiences with Bond. My folks to me to see MR in the cinema and my dad and I watched TSWLM on cable. When a Bond aired on ABC we'd watch it.
    However, I didn't get hooked until an airing of DR NO on ABC in '83 followed by my folks taking me to see OP, then later NSNA.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sounds like we had a pretty good childhood experience with Bond @ToTheRight
    And it's certainly never had a negative effect on my life.
    Benny wrote: »
    Sounds like we had a pretty good childhood experience with Bond @ToTheRight
    And it's certainly never had a negative effect on my life.

Same here. Great time to become a fan.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 3,564
    My first experience with 007 was in a toy commercial on Saturday morning TV circa 1964 or so. In the middle of cartoons featuring Popeye and Mighty Mouse, suddenly I was mesmerized by a commercial for the 007 attache' case -- or at least, the toy version of same. And to illustrate the properties of said case, the commercial showed brief snippets of FRWL... Desmond Llewellyn giving Bond his case for the first time... Bond and Kerim Bey using the sniper rifle... Bond turning the tear gas capabilities of the case against Red Grant...what can I say? I was hooked! Never did get one of those darned toy attache cases but I could probably be induced to spend several hundred dollars on one now...
  • Whirlybird_FanWhirlybird_Fan Sydney, Australia
    1985; I was either 11 or 12.

It was a late Friday night and my parents, older brother and I sat down to watch DN on the TV. The moment Ursula Andress emerged from the sea, I was totally hooked.
  • Bueno1694Bueno1694 My James Bond Games' Playthroughs: linktr.ee/Xtreemo
    It was GoldenEye from the N64 like many of us around here. I played the game, liked it, then I heard about the movie and I loved it even more.

All this was circa 2000 or 2001. I was 6-7 years old back then.

And I'm a Bond fan since then.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Crazy how the second half of 1997 is largely responsible for the large proportion of a generation of Bond fans. How many people got GoldenEye between it's August release date and December, motivated them to convince parents to rent GoldenEye, then see Tomorrow Never Dies that December? Hook, line, sinker.

Makes me worry how the Eon family is planning to connect on a similar level for next generations. Hopefully that new video game is a belter...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I wish we went back to the days when the "hook" was releasing a new Bond film every year.

Just like trips to the Moon, they knew how in the 60s, but the knowledge has been lost.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    That regular as clockwork 2 year cycle from the early days must have been amazing to experience as a Bond fan. I'm old enough to remember it from TLD-LTK and then GE-DAD. Prior to that is was just discovering them on VHS for the first time.
    My first was TSWLM on TV when I was about 10 years old, around 1986 ish. So exited to be told that there were more of these films. The enjoyment of perusing the local video rental shop to borrow them is a fond memory. Different times!
    I vividly remember ITV here in the UK promoting the TV premier of AVTAK in 1990. It felt like an event,I hadn't seen it before. I also remember being very disappointed in it and it remains very bottom for me alongside DAF.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 3,333
    cwl007 wrote: »
    That regular as clockwork 2 year cycle from the early days must have been amazing to experience as a Bond fan. I'm old enough to remember it from TLD-LTK and then GE-DAD. Prior to that is was just discovering them on VHS for the first time.
    My first was TSWLM on TV when I was about 10 years old, around 1986 ish. So exited to be told that there were more of these films. The enjoyment of perusing the local video rental shop to borrow them is a fond memory. Different times!
    I vividly remember ITV here in the UK promoting the TV premier of AVTAK in 1990. It felt like an event,I hadn't seen it before. I also remember being very disappointed in it and it remains very bottom for me alongside DAF.
    It was great being part of a 2-year cycle of Bond releases. Even 1-year with the release of TMWTGG. The biggest disappointment was the long delay over TSWLM followed by the absence of Harry Saltzman. That said, nothing can describe seeing and discovering an early teaser at your local cinema for the next Bond movie amongst the future coming attractions. Of course this was the only way of knowing what the next Bond movie would look and feel like, minus the actual score. Then closer to the release you'd get the proper full trailer that would reveal more of the movie, including sometimes Barry's soundtrack if he was the composer on that movie. I can still recall what little fanfare "All Time High" sung by Rita Coolidge had upon its initial release in the UK. First time I knew of its existence was when I happened to be in the original HMV store in Bond Street (1983) and see the picture cover sleeve for the 45 behind the checkout counter. Of course, I snapped it up immediately, eager to take it home and give it a proper listen. Sadly, it was an "All Time Low" for me when I stuck it on the turntable. Not one of Barry's finest songs, IMO. Shortly afterwards I heard it played on the radio a few times, but it didn't really get that much airplay in the UK.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I know this will make me sound like an old fart but I miss those more analogue days. Having to go hunt for tit bits of pre release information was fun. Trailers were only in the cinema or bolted on to the front of VHS releases , TV spots were just that and only on TV when the schedulers decided. Trawling the newsagents for articles in magazines, it all seemed very exciting. The concept of spoilers wasn't even a thing because there was a slim to non chance of finding enough to spoil a film in the first place!!
    Although wistful nostalgia aside, things are so much better these days for fans, yeah, sod the old days.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    You can’t be too old if you grew up with VHS. That didn’t exist until I was in college. You had to wait for ABC to air a film (maybe once every two years per film, and that didn’t even ) or catch it in a rerelease showing.

You must have had difficulties catching a OHMSS screening in those days, given the lukewarm reception of the film back in the day, when the brilliance of it wasn’t yet public knowledge.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    You can’t be too old if you grew up with VHS. That didn’t exist until I was in college. You had to wait for ABC to air a film (maybe once every two years per film, and that didn’t even ) or catch it in a rerelease showing.

You must have had difficulties catching a OHMSS screening in those days, given the lukewarm reception of the film back in the day, when the brilliance of it wasn’t yet public knowledge.
    You're not entirely wrong there @GoldenGun. I only had my first viewing of OHMSS in 69 at the cinema to call upon, until it was shown again on ITV in 1978. I spoke with another Bond fan I used to work with and he said he saw it as a double-bill with LALD in 74, but my local cinema must have skipped this double-bill pairing as I'm totally unfamiliar with it. Had I known, I would've sought it out. For the record, my friend also loved OHMSS when he first saw it on the big screen and it became a firm favourite of his right up til we first met. The lasting and positive impression OHMSS had left on me after only one viewing is a testament to its style and true brilliance.
  • cwl007cwl007 England

Thank you sir. I'm 43 and 7months old but you have just made me feel younger. 😉
  • cwl007 wrote: »

Thank you sir. I'm 43 and 7months old but you have just made me feel younger. 😉

At 43 you SHOULD feel young!

My first time actually seeing Bond films in the theater was in 1966, late in TB's original run, at the age of 12, when I caught a one-day-only TRIPLE BILL of TB, DN & GF! When YOLT came out I held off on seeing it alone, waiting for a double bill of YOLT and FRWL. That fervently-desired double bill never happened. The next time I saw a Bond film in the theater, it was a double bill of LALD and TMWTGG. What can I say, I was a thrifty young sprite! (I won't get into my free viewing of DAF at the drive-in where some friends & I just sorta walked in surreptitiously...)
    cwl007 wrote: »
    I know this will make me sound like an old fart but I miss those more analogue days. Having to go hunt for tit bits of pre release information was fun. Trailers were only in the cinema or bolted on to the front of VHS releases , TV spots were just that and only on TV when the schedulers decided. Trawling the newsagents for articles in magazines, it all seemed very exciting. The concept of spoilers wasn't even a thing because there was a slim to non chance of finding enough to spoil a film in the first place!!
    Although wistful nostalgia aside, things are so much better these days for fans, yeah, sod the old days.

I do have a nostalgia for the analog era. I miss scouring movie magazines for info, and admiring my VHS movie collections. I miss actually going into a video store to browse, and walking away with something cool.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I miss actually going into a video store to browse, and walking away with something cool.

Same here. It was a fun family ritual. I'm sure in some years, when films are downloaded directly into our brains, people will be missing the classic Netflix experience.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Nice posts all, find myself smiling reading those. 👍