NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    mtm wrote: »
    Will Universal release it too dubbed? Probably next days?

It'll be interesting to see if Bond refers to Nomi as 007 again in the Italian one! Let us know! :)

I can confirm that the Italian one now refers to Nomi as a generic “double 0”…
    HD version of the US trailer (with the green band and without the NTTD logo in the corner at the start) from Apple:
    https://trailers.apple.com/movies/mgm/no-time-to-die/no-time-to-die-final-trailer_h1080p.mov
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    matt_u wrote: »

It'll be interesting to see if Bond refers to Nomi as 007 again in the Italian one! Let us know! :)

Same in Spanish :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The only qualm I have is QOS (unsurprisingly) being shortchanged of the callbacks to the Craig films. Just the one tiny bit. With stuff like that and the fact Greene wasn’t on the wall in Spectre like Bond’s other past “demons,” it definitely feels like they don’t care much for it :( shame, because I love it and find it plenty worthy.

Was he not on the wall? I thought I remembered him being there: maybe I just filled that memory in myself! :D

Interesting!! So if she is 007 I'm now totally confused if their marketing department wants us to know that or not! :D
    The only qualm I have is QOS (unsurprisingly) being shortchanged of the callbacks to the Craig films. Just the one tiny bit. With stuff like that and the fact Greene wasn’t on the wall in Spectre like Bond’s other past “demons,” it definitely feels like they don’t care much for it :( shame, because I love it and find it plenty worthy.

Was he not on the wall? I thought I remembered him being there: maybe I just filled that memory in myself! :D

Interesting!! So if she is 007 I'm now totally confused if their marketing department wants us to know that or not! :D
    My guess is with those versions of the Sept 2020 trailer (Spain, Italy, Ukraine) they just lifted the dialogue from the near-final dubs which likely did refer to her as 007 in that scene of Bond on the phone. (While most places either got the voice cast to re record or cleverly edited out)
    antovolk wrote: »
    HD version of the US trailer (with the green band and without the NTTD logo in the corner at the start) from Apple:
    https://trailers.apple.com/movies/mgm/no-time-to-die/no-time-to-die-final-trailer_h1080p.mov

Thanks a lot that’s better.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    For all of you trailer music fans, here's the music from today's trailers with all of that pesky talking surgically removed (sound effects intact though I'm afraid). The US one worked a bit better than the International one.

NO TIME TO DIE _ Final US Trailer audio - speech removed

NO TIME TO DIE _ Final International Trailer - speech removed
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

Not on the wall, but he shows up on Q's laptop when they're analysing the ring and discussing 'who links them all'. And Q mentions 'Quantum' as part of one big organisation

For those of you with VR units, the trailer looks GREAT on a forty foot screen.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    delfloria wrote: »
    For those of you with VR units, the trailer looks GREAT on a forty foot screen.

A moth just came flying out from my wallet...

:(
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    w2bond wrote: »

Not on the wall, but he shows up on Q's laptop when they're analysing the ring and discussing 'who links them all'. And Q mentions 'Quantum' as part of one big organisation

Ah maybe that’s what I was thinking of, thanks!
    Okay, yesterday we got not one but two different trailers.

None of them was able to really hype the web.

Except for Bond fans you can’t imagine how many people I know or I interact with in other forums as well that felt it was nothing special if not kinda boring. Why? Because that’s been two years since the first trailer and they keep showing always the same old stuff. Mixed differently, with some new glimpse in and there, but always the same old stuff people already saw and got used to it. For some felt dated.
    When the first trailer came out there was another level of excitement and that’s kinda worrying since we’re about just one month away from release.
    I believe they made some kind of mistake. The good thing is that it shows how confident they are with the final product, but to me it looks like they’re just marketing the film as COVID wasn’t a thing…
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited September 2021 Posts: 2,057
    I hope someone does trailer edits of Connery, Moore and Brosnan as per the US trailer and the retrospective at the beginning.

Except for Bond fans you can’t imagine how many people I know or I interact with in other forums as well that felt it was nothing special if not kinda boring. Why? Because that’s been two years since the first trailer and they keep showing always the same old stuff. Mixed differently, with some new glimpse in and there, but always the same old stuff people already saw and got used to it. For some felt dated.
    When the first trailer came out there was another level of excitement and that’s kinda worrying since we’re about just one month away from release.
    I believe they made some kind of mistake. The good thing is that it shows how confident they are with the final product, but to me it looks like they’re just marketing the film as COVID wasn’t a thing…

I get what you mean. My wife just said: "Isn't it the same one? It's the same footage again and again. It's just not engaging anymore." And she's right.

I'm just hoping the final product will blow these trailers out of the water.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I can't really worry too much about what other people thought of them, that's not my job. I just know that I enjoyed them.
    Univex wrote: »

I get what you mean. My wife just said: "Isn't it the same one? It's the same footage again and again. It's just not engaging anymore." And she's right.

That’s the thing.

For a film that’s been delayed 5 times (3 because of the pandemic) imo they need more than just a trailer remixing the same old stuff to genuinely pump up the level of excitement. As I said last week, they should just drop that clip of the chase they showed at the Con. Given how enthusiastic was the reception it would makes sense to me to show it in advance to the public. That would prove without any, any, doubt that the movie is really worth a trip to the theater, skyrocketing the hype, because after all this time their current promotion feels… dated. Desperate times call for drastic measures.
    My wife just said: "Isn't it the same one? It's the same footage again and again. It's just not engaging anymore." And she's right.

Many fans here on the board ask for no more new footage ("I don't want to see any new scenes. I feel like I know everything already.")

Now they listen to the fans, and that's wrong again.

If they'd had released a trailer with lots of new footage, people would have cried about too much spoilerish footage.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    My wife just said: "Isn't it the same one? It's the same footage again and again. It's just not engaging anymore." And she's right.

Many fans here on the board ask for no more new footage ("I don't want to see any new scenes. I feel like I know everything already.")

Now they listen to the fans, and that's wrong again.

If they'd had released a trailer with lots of new footage, people would have cried about too much spoilerish footage.

It’s not about listening to the fans. It’s about hyping all the others and convince them to go see the film in a theater during a pandemic. Those two trailers kinda missed that. NTTD is in an unprecedented situation and this conservative marketing approach seems too soft for me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

That’s the thing.

For a film that’s been delayed 5 times (3 because of the pandemic) imo they need more than just a trailer remixing the same old stuff to genuinely pump up the level of excitement. As I said last week, they should just drop that clip of the chase they showed at the Con. Given how enthusiastic was the reception it would makes sense to me to show it in advance to the public. That would prove without any, any, doubt that the movie is really worth a trip to the theater, skyrocketing the hype, because after all this time their current promotion feels… dated. Desperate times call for drastic measures.

No I don't think that's a good idea. It'll be the biggest launch of a film this year, it'll do fine.

That’s the thing.

No I don't think that's a good idea. It'll be the biggest launch of a film this year, it'll do fine.

That will be Spider-Man. Anyway, marketing a film like it wasn’t delayed for a year and a half is kinda disappointing to me. Come on… they basically remixed the trailer that came out one year ago…
  • That will be Spider-Man. Anyway, marketing a film like it wasn’t delayed for a year and a half is kinda disappointing to me. Come on… they basically remixed the trailer that came out one year ago…

So, just as Twitter isn't real life, I fear that sometimes we conflate YouTube views or social media 'trends' with how the vast majority of people who aren't online all day long react to things.

Honestly, I think Marvel movies are experiencing a slump that is going to last awhile; Endgame was a such a huge event, and the movies that have followed have been all about cleaning up loose ends while trying to start building towards a new arc and I'm not sure that there are many non-core audience fans who are ready to get back into that, at least so soon. So while many TikTok and Twitter people may have been going nuts for the Spiderman trailer, they're also much younger, 'woker' and not at all indicative of the wider public.

Meanwhile, as said above, Bond has been off screens for six years, but it has such an established history behind it AND people know that unlike Marvel movies, there aren't four films a year. This is an *event*, not just the next installment between the next TV show, so I think the trailers are going to serve their purpose over the next month. I shared the trailer on my FB yesterday and I can't tell you how many of my friends over 35 years of age were going crazy for it. There is excitement for this movie, even if the millennials aren't talking about it, and to be honest, I've stopped caring about them at all.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,961

That’s the thing.

That will be Spider-Man. Anyway, marketing a film like it wasn’t delayed for a year and a half is kinda disappointing to me. Come on… they basically remixed the trailer that came out one year ago…

I don’t think so: Spider Man isn’t going to make the front pages of newspapers etc. It’s just another superhero film. It basically depends how many superhero fans you follow on Twitter which defines your perception of how hyped people in general are.
    And exactly: you’re saying that the trailer is disappointing to you- it sounds like you just want to see more of the film. Which is fair enough, but it doesn’t mean it’s a bad marketing strategy.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 4,343

That’s the thing.

I don’t think so: Spider Man isn’t going to make the front pages of newspapers etc. It’s just another superhero film. It basically depends how many superhero fans you follow on Twitter which defines your perception of how hyped people in general are.
    And exactly: you’re saying that the trailer is disappointing to you- it sounds like you just want to see more of the film. Which is fair enough, but it doesn’t mean it’s a bad marketing strategy.

Well yes if you put it this way I obviously agree.

My point is it feels underwhelming that after a 1.5 year delay they’re still showing us one month before release always the same old stuff. If they wanted to completely avoid the feeling of NTTD being kinda dated for the GA, well, imo they missed it. Closing the final trailer with the same old scene of Bond and Nomi flying that thing? After it was the highlight of the Super Bowl spot that came out ages ago? Really? How about that past films opening montage? I saw fan made stuff far better that that.

To me it looks like they’re marketing this film like COVID isn’t a thing and NTTD wasn’t delayed for such a long time. There’s something missing in those trailers and I frankly believe they could’ve done way better.

They even dropped it two hours before and then removed it. Come on…
    Does the continued use of a very narrow set of clips for the trailers indicate that there is much footage they cant use as it will cause major spoilers?
    It'll be the biggest launch of a film this year, it'll do fine.

That will be Spider-Man.

Maybe in the US.

But in the UK, Germany and most european countries Bond will be bigger than Spider-Man.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I'm just hoping the final product will blow these trailers out of the water.

I have noticed from my own small pool that there hasn't been as much discussion about these trailers as there were about the previous ones. A lot of it seems to be down to general public worry that it will be pulled again last minute, combined with the footage being mostly the same as before. It's understandable, even if it's not a fair reflection of how the film itself will go down when it's released.

It's just an unfortunate double-edged sword at this stage: release too much new stuff and nobody will have anything to be surprised by. Release too little and you'll end up with some of those conversations like the above happening.

For me, personally, I think they got it just right. I wasn't blown away by either of the trailers yesterday but I was obviously going to be there on Day 1 anyway; however if I wasn't 100% sold on it then they released just enough to seal the deal. It's a losing battle trying to market a repeatedly delayed film during a pandemic at this stage. They've done their best under the circumstances - I imagine another new poster or a small clip between now and release, combined with the usual interviews and marketing stunts will serve them well. It'll all add up, and then if the film gets good reviews and word of mouth is strong, well......that's all you can ask for!
    edited September 2021 Posts: 4,343
    and then if the film gets good reviews and word of mouth is strong, well......that's all you can ask for!

Let’s just hope it will achieve both. Frankly, and I don’t want to say it out too loud, I’m pretty sure it will.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It's understandable that there's not as much hype, with covid and the delays. The great thing with a Bond movie is that it sells itself, the gold standard for action films, that can only be experienced in cinemas
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,961

That’s the thing.

Well yes if you put it this way I obviously agree.

My point is it feels underwhelming that after a 1.5 year delay they’re still showing us one month before release always the same old stuff. If they wanted to completely avoid the feeling of NTTD being kinda dated for the GA, well, imo they missed it. Closing the final trailer with the same old scene of Bond and Nomi flying that thing? After it was the highlight of the Super Bowl spot that came out ages ago? Really? How about that past films opening montage? I saw fan made stuff far better that that.

To me it looks like they’re marketing this film like COVID isn’t a thing and NTTD wasn’t delayed for such a long time. There’s something missing in those trailers and I frankly believe they could’ve done way better.

They even dropped it two hours before and then removed it. Come on…

Well that was an accident, I'm not sure what you're complaining about there.

They're new trailers but they're for the same film, it's not like it's a limitless source of material they can pull from. And they don't want to spoil it. Without having seen the film you can't exactly state for sure that some other imaginary version of the trailer would have been better.
    A friend of mine who isn't a fan texted our group to say he was, um, 'horny' for the film having seen it, so this is all just anecdotal. 'My wife wasn't interested' etc. Bond will be a bigger launch than Spider-Man, in Europe especially where it's huge every time. I don't get what you're worrying about. People will go and see the film, it's okay.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 3,279
    My initial reaction for the trailers was slightly underwhelmed, not sure why. Some of the dialogue and scenes made me cringe slightly (particularly Bond throwing the guns over to Paloma for her to start shooting at the baddies), and the feeling that we are re-treading old ground again, with Bond once again `going personal'.

Some of the clips felt a bit like what we have seen before in SF and SP. It's personal - again!

Having said all that, I get why they are showing these high octane clips, and why the trailers are cut the way they are. It is to get bums on seats, which it obviously will, and I too will be there on opening night.