Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Well, in a somewhat expected and yet surprising conclusion, On Her Majesty's Secret Service has trumped over GoldenEye.

Next match-up:

A View to a Kill vs. The World is not Enough
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    TWINE
    Twine for me too.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 3,494
    00Beast wrote:
    Well, in a somewhat expected and yet surprising conclusion, On Her Majesty's Secret Service has trumped over GoldenEye.

Next match-up:

A View to a Kill vs. The World is not Enough

Only surprising to fans of GE in my opinion. Nothing is wrong with the movie aside from the music, I enjoy it a lot.

Tougher call this round. Both are not great entries IMO. Both inhabit the bottom 5 of my personal rankings and neither are my ideal Bond. What makes AVTAK the better film for me is the presence of Christopher Walken and his gang of lunatics, so A View To A Kill is my vote here.

"Its a View to a Kill..."
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    TWINE, it has more drama and a great pre-titlesequence. AVTAK is a bit dull, moore is way too old for the part.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    TWINE Better movie. :D
    AVTAK.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I will vote for TWINE for its better use of a famous river, Q, a far more attractive femme fatale, a slightly less annoying lead Bond girl, its more secretive spying on Bond's lovemaking sessions and its acceptable use of geriatric actors.
    A View to a Kill

Overall, the only things AVTAK really boasts over TWINE are in the villains and the soundtrack. Everything else should go to TWINE, but because of my nostalgic feelings for AVTAK, it has to win. It's #3 in my rankings anyhow, with the other two being GE and LTK, so that speaks for itself. And besides, AVTAK is really awesome!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    TWINE by a mile.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Both are in my bottom 3 but AVTAK does benefit from John Barry's music, some Cold War atmosphere and a complete lack of pretentiousness about what it attempts to be. TWINE on the other hand comes off as a pretentious and schizophrenic combo of OHMSS and AVTAK. So for one of only two times this will ever happen for me in this contest:

AVTAK
    Meeting you with A View To A Kill. It might not be the best film in the series but unlike TWINE atleast AVTAK is fun. Not overly melodramatic with Brosnan having dellusions of grandure and thinking he can actually act. TWINE currently sits at #21 in my rankings. Take a guess as to which one film gets the honor of being worse.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I can't easily decide this one. Neither one I find that good. My gut tells me to choose TWINE, as it's a slightly better made film, but I think I'm going to go with AVTAK, because it's just a better film.
  • Meeting you with A View To A Kill. It might not be the best film in the series but unlike TWINE atleast AVTAK is fun. Not overly melodramatic with Brosnan having dellusions of grandure and thinking he can actually act. TWINE currently sits at #21 in my rankings. Take a guess as to which one film gets the honor of being worse.

Uh, DAD? :D

I'd still take TWINE over MR ;)
  • DB5DB5
    TWINE because it doesn't have that unbelievably silly "Beach Boys" theme while Bond is "surfing" down the snow bank. Btw I'm really enjoying this thread. The most avid Bond fans sharing their critical analyses and film reviews to determine a definitive "best to worst" list from #1 to #22. It seems so far we have an "A" list of FRWL, OHMSS and CR followed by a "B" list of DN, TLD and GE. Do I have this right?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    TWINE, obviously.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    AVTAK for me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    AVTAK for me.

OVER A BROSNAN FILM?!?!?! WHAAAAAAAAAA?! :-O
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I know, I'm not sure why I opted towards AVTAK. TWINE is better in my eyes, the more thought I give it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I know, I'm not sure why I opted towards AVTAK. TWINE is better in my eyes, the more thought I give it.

Hahaha, cast a re-vote, Creasy?
    00Beast wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Hahaha, cast a re-vote, Creasy?
    I still don't understand what he was thinking, choosing AVTAK of all Bond films over TWINE, which has his favorite Bond in it.
    I'm not sure, haha. I was rushed, trying to let my mom use my MacBook, and it must have switched me around accidentally. TWINE for me! Go ahead and throw in five votes.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 4,762
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm not sure, haha. I was rushed, trying to let my mom use my MacBook, and it must have switched me around accidentally. TWINE for me! Go ahead and throw in five votes.

Hahaha, that avid on TWINE over AVTAK are we?
    Meeting you with A View To A Kill. It might not be the best film in the series but unlike TWINE atleast AVTAK is fun. Not overly melodramatic with Brosnan having dellusions of grandure and thinking he can actually act. TWINE currently sits at #21 in my rankings. Take a guess as to which one film gets the honor of being worse.

Uh, DAD? :D

I'd still take TWINE over MR ;)

Right you are! I take MR over TWINE for the same reasons I take AVTAK over it. Besides before Bond gets to space MR is pretty good. And it's got maybe the best PTS in the entire series. Still can't believe they took over 80 skydives to get that fight on film.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Hmm... Not sure about this one

Both have their good points and bad ones but I'll give the edge to AVTAK. Although that kind of disappointed me the last time I rewatched it - the film feels so sleepy.
    Whaa?
    Of course, The World is Not Enough.
    AVTAK is the worst Bond film with terribly old Moore, bad henchmen, bad girl and too much not Moore stunts.
    TWINE - good start, good title song and entire music, better girls, better Bond, Zukovskij, and water chases in start and the ending.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 14,886
    Both are guilty pleasures, but AVTAK is the better film. Despite the ageing cast.
    AVTAK wins

List of rating.
    AVTAK - 18.
    TWINE - 21.
    AVTAK

The last job well done by Sir Roger Moore. O:-)