NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    GadgetMan wrote: »

I don't know if this have been posted before. I don't know if it's from the actual score though or fan-made. But it's so good. Especially towards the end. From 01:41 there are subtle hints of the Bond theme from Barry's TLD.

Pretty good stuff for fan-made! I really like how it feels almost like the Bond theme done for a high fantasy setting, as if it’s scoring Bond in Middle-earth or something (now there would be an odd mashup). I think it’s the whimsy in the woodwinds and the mystery and promise of adventure in the horns and strings. The part from 1:10-1:35 actually sounds rather similar to Danny Elfman’s Alice in Wonderland. Things get a bit more traditionally Bondian when the percussion kicks in.

Yeah. The track's so good. Fans are turning into composers these days.
    It’s crap. It’s no different than what the REAL composers are doing these days with the series. I miss the good old days of a proper blasting of the Bond theme to knock your socks off! Tired of this sissy Bond theme hinting and toying that we’ve been getting forever now.

Yeah. I know what you mean. But I like it. About the proper blasting of the Bond theme, Zimmer and Marr are very much likely to do that, but still create fresh sounds that still very much sounds Bondian. So we're in safe hands.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I hope they don’t blast the theme, just so it

I don't know if this have been posted before. I don't know if it's from the actual score though or fan-made. But it's so good. Especially towards the end. From 01:41 there are subtle hints of the Bond theme from Barry's TLD.

Pretty good stuff for fan-made! I really like how it feels almost like the Bond theme done for a high fantasy setting, as if it’s scoring Bond in Middle-earth or something (now there would be an odd mashup). I think it’s the whimsy in the woodwinds and the mystery and promise of adventure in the horns and strings. The part from 1:10-1:35 actually sounds rather similar to Danny Elfman’s Alice in Wonderland. Things get a bit more traditionally Bondian when the percussion kicks in.

It’s crap. It’s no different than what the REAL composers are doing these days with the series. I miss the good old days of a proper blasting of the Bond theme to knock your socks off! Tired of this sissy Bond theme hinting and toying that we’ve been getting forever now.

“Sissy”? Are you a 12 year old American or something?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I heard some of Dan Romer's score for Pixar's Luca on the radio on the weekend, remember him? :)
    I’d love to hear the work from his suite sessions.

You don’t have to be 12 to want to hear a proper blasting of the Bond theme. I guess you have to be old school. That’s what I am. I don’t go for the modern crap “touchy feely” music.
    I sometimes think the composer's of recent Bonds are almost embarrassed by the fact they're scoring Bond movies. Certainly Newman but also Arnold's last couple of scores barely featured the Bond theme. But these are not run of the mill action movies they're BOND movies, so let them sound like BOND movies. Come on Zimmer let's have the sound of Bond back
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @cooperman2 Given Zimmer’s enthusiasm in multiple interviews, I think he is (was) truly excited to do Bond, and that will be reflected in his score.

Zimmer composition perhaps? Maybe lifted from NTTD.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    I sometimes think the composer's of recent Bonds are almost embarrassed by the fact they're scoring Bond movies. Certainly Newman but also Arnold's last couple of scores barely featured the Bond theme. But these are not run of the mill action movies they're BOND movies, so let them sound like BOND movies. Come on Zimmer let's have the sound of Bond back

I don’t think it’s embarrassment so much as it’s the composers learning from CR’s score that “less is more”. They saw that the Bond theme is effective in limited quantities. In fact, even Barry learned that too, but many tend to overlook that. It’s really Arnold that overused the theme in the Brosnan era to a ridiculous degree.

You don’t have to be 12 to want to hear a proper blasting of the Bond theme. I guess you have to be old school. That’s what I am. I don’t go for the modern crap “touchy feely” music.

So you’re 50 right?
    Always feels like they are embarrassed to use the full Bond theme to me as well. Even the new Zimmer score does not seem to embrace it so far. His gun barrel sequence is missing the main guitar riff.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @MakeshiftPython so you have to turn that into a knock against Americans? Why don't you resist as there are many of us on here.

Don’t we deserve it?
    All is well!
    delfloria wrote: »
    Always feels like they are embarrassed to use the full Bond theme to me as well. Even the new Zimmer score does not seem to embrace it so far. His gun barrel sequence is missing the main guitar riff.
    This!

And when they do use the Bond theme it’s always just the beginning of the theme and then it’s like they get cold feet to continue into the main chorus of the theme. Really sick and tired of this. Give me the full theme in its entirety during an action scene! I mean in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE they blared the full theme in its entirety of just Bond checking into a hotel. Here we have prolonged action scenes that are just begging for the FULL Bond theme and instead we get some generic action scoring with maybe just a hint of the Bond theme sprinkled in somewhere in there. You can barely make it out. Or just the first opening notes of the Bond theme. I hate that. Leave the generic action scoring to the likes of Brian Tyler and give us the Bond theme!!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited July 2021 Posts: 8,009
    It's funny you should mention Brian Tyler as being generic in the context of using a title theme, considering any time he has taken the reigns on a franchise he has rarely shown too much restraint when using the associated theme and would like do the same with Bond. See: the last two Rambo films or AVP.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    This!

And when they do use the Bond theme it’s always just the beginning of the theme and then it’s like they get cold feet to continue into the main chorus of the theme. Really sick and tired of this. Give me the full theme in its entirety during an action scene! I mean in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE they blared the full theme in its entirety of just Bond checking into a hotel.

Which is mildly ridiculous, to be fair.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,247
    I think it's the style of film scores these days. Not just Bond films. Composers don't just blast famous themes anymore. It all about snippets and weaving it around tracks, then blasting it during the end credits. Maybe David Arnold started it all with CR.

Although, with Zimmer one can expect him to blast the Bond theme fully in the film's finale or a major moment, as evident in The Lone Ranger when he blasted William Tell's The Lone Ranger theme in the film's finale, even if he added some of his own ideas. As long as Zimmer has agreed to use a famous theme, he makes good use of it. And the fact that him and Marr are doing the score with guitars, means when the Bond theme is absent, a stellar track would step in for it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    As long as Zimmer has agreed to use a famous theme, he makes good use of it.

Hmmm... Mission Impossible 2 begs to differ! :D
    I'm sure there was a movie where he refused to use a really famous (and brilliant) theme too, but it's gone from my mind.
    mtm wrote: »

I'm sure there was a movie where he refused to use a really famous (and brilliant) theme too, but it's gone from my mind.

Lol. But he used it in the finale....the stylish bike chase scene.

Yeah, he did not want to use the famous Batman and Superman themes. But Bond is different and he knows it.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @GadgetMan With Supes and Batman, they intentionally didnt reference the music because they wanted a clean break from the previous interpretations of the characters.
    Mallory wrote: »
    @GadgetMan With Supes and Batman, they intentionally didnt reference the music because they wanted a clean break from the previous interpretations of the characters.

Yeah. Because the new version of the characters were grittier.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Lol. But he used it in the finale....the stylish bike chase scene.

But horribly.
    Yeah, he did not want to use the famous Batman and Superman themes. But Bond is different and he knows it.

I don't know if it's that: making his own for those was fine.
    I feel like he may have even been up for Mission Impossible 1 but wanted to rewrite the theme... memory's a bit faded!
    Well, @mtm maybe because he went for a Rock Music style with it. But I thought it went well with the leather jackets and bikes, helicopters, jeeps and explosions. I think John Woo made Zimmer to approach it that way.

Yeah. I can't really remember that myself. Looks like it was always Danny Elfman for Mission Impossible 1, but I'll have to read up on that.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah. I can't really remember that myself. Looks like it was always Danny Elfman for Mission Impossible 1, but I'll have to read up on that.

Not always: Alan Silvestri actually recorded a few chunks of his score before he left the movie.

Not always: Alan Silvestri actually recorded a few chunks of his score before he left the movie.

Oh. He did? I didn't know that. I've never read about the score's history. Probably because I've never liked Elfman's Mission Impossible score, apart from what he did with Lalo Schifrin's original theme. And of course, U2's Adam Clayton & Larry Mullen's take on the theme. The rest of the score to me, lacks thematic materials.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    M:I-2 is a great Zimmer score in the same way that the film a great John Woo movie. They both came in and did their thing in the way that they were used to doing at the time and did it pretty well - it was just a horrible match with the Mission: Impossible concept. I don't think either really "got" what Mission: Impossible was. The second film sticks out like a sore thumb aesthetically.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    This!

And when they do use the Bond theme it’s always just the beginning of the theme and then it’s like they get cold feet to continue into the main chorus of the theme. Really sick and tired of this. Give me the full theme in its entirety during an action scene! I mean in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE they blared the full theme in its entirety of just Bond checking into a hotel.

It feels like the gunbarrels have gotten shorter (and the theme truncated), like the filmmakers feel a faster pace is necessary than in the '60s-'80s.
    This!

You might find it mildly ridiculous but THAT is my Bond. Big, brassy and in your face.
    I could never understand why anyone would make a film of The A-Team and not even use a note of one of the most famous TV themes of the eighties. At least the Mission Impossible films use the main theme
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    This!

You might find it mildly ridiculous but THAT is my Bond. Big, brassy and in your face.

Well yeah, hitting the big bebop part of theme as Bond dramatically... hangs his jacket up(!) has always seemed a bit silly to me. You can't use the theme when he's doing literally anything.
    I know that's not Barry's fault, the music editor thought the Dr No theme would go well there for some reason.

Oh. He did? I didn't know that. I've never read about the score's history. Probably because I've never liked Elfman's Mission Impossible score, apart from what he did with Lalo Schifrin's original theme. And of course, U2's Adam Clayton & Larry Mullen's take on the theme. The rest of the score to me, lacks thematic materials.

Yeah, here's a bit:

M:I-2 is a great Zimmer score in the same way that the film a great John Woo movie. They both came in and did their thing in the way that they were used to doing at the time and did it pretty well - it was just a horrible match with the Mission: Impossible concept. I don't think either really "got" what Mission: Impossible was. The second film sticks out like a sore thumb aesthetically.

Yeah. Woo and Zimmer simply made it a Broken Arrow sequel.