Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2021 Posts: 5,921
    That's true. The first Bond film for each actor is often the best of their tenure, when it's fresh.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    (Nicholas Holt would be good but man being older then the actor playing bnd weirds me out a bit)

Holt and Jack Lowden are my top choices, but yeah, it would be weird to be finally older than James Bond.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Was always gonna happen one day.
  • Mr_Beach wrote: »
    Holt and Jack Lowden are my top choices.
    Agree, especially if, following their takeover of MGM, Amazon is eager to produce new contents. Although I don't prefer to make any assumptions about the possibility or not about spin-offs, I think the hiatus that will follow NTTD release will be shorter than if Amazon had not acquired MGM, making Lowden and Hoult credible candidates in this context.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    Holt and Jack Lowden are my top choices.
    Agree, especially if, following their takeover of MGM, Amazon is eager to produce new contents. Although I don't prefer to make any assumptions about the possibility or not about spin-offs, I think the hiatus that will follow NTTD release will be shorter than if Amazon had not acquired MGM, making Lowden and Hoult credible candidates in this context.

MGM's constant financial issues were the major impediment to more films being produced during DC's time. I don't think Amazon will "push" anything; instead, I think their financial stability and backing will allow EON to make films every three years, which is optimal.
    To Cornwall.

sbbif12b.jpg
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    To Cornwall.

sbbif12b.jpg

YES!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That’s Ireland! :)
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    To Cornwall.

sbbif12b.jpg

Still the most convincing photo of a potential Bond candidate I've seen.
    Not sure if Turner's time has past, but he definitely has that intense Dalton look
  • My hunch is the producers will move away from the pugilistic 'blunt instrument' Craig era and go for something more cerebral and they'll aim for a Bond whose first choice of weapon is his brain rather than his fists.

I'm a huge fan of the Craig movies and I think he's the best actor to have taken the role. He's second only to Connery when it comes to magnetism and brute force, however I think what he brings to the whole is now becoming dated and he's made the correct decision to move on.

The producers will also have to navigate a post-covid world where cinema will not exist in the same way it has before and budgets may well be slashed. They'll therefore have to focus more on great story-telling and less on expensive set-pieces etc.

If my hunch proves correct, I'd love them to cast one of the following, in order of preference:

1) Joe Alwyn
    2) Tom Hughes
    3) Nicholas Holt

Worst case scenario is they bypass acting ability altogether and go back to the dark days of Brosnan by casting a gormless wardrobe like Henry Cavill or Sam Heughan.

• Given the knowledge that Barbara Broccoli and Cary Fukunaga had spitballed ideas about future Bond actors and the fact that both would be open to his return (provided NTTD is successful which I'm sure it will be), I wonder if it makes Luke Evans a more likely candidate. He stars in The Alienist, which is produced by Fukunaga and, in my opinion, has the most suitable look for the part. I haven't seen a ton of his work, but I think he has suitable chops and isn't too much of a household name/movie star at this point.

15042182_10150788859154963_2709737463001598302_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=973b4a&_nc_ohc=XwRa4rGn0s8AX-DkWac&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc2-1.fna&oh=1bff53b06af5ca7173848588e2fbf93d&oe=60FA4331
    luke-evans-uk-premiere-dracula-untold-01.jpg
    fast-and-furious-6-luke-evans-2-1280x853.jpg

• I just can't imagine anyone playing Bond after Craig. It will obviously happen but whoever it is is going to have to be a hell of a good actor to get in the same ballpark..
    I just can't imagine anyone playing Bond after Craig. It will obviously happen but whoever it is is going to have to be a hell of a good actor to get in the same ballpark..

If their debut film is as good as CR was, and the actor smashes out of the ballpark, Craig's tenure will be forgotten just as quickly as Brozza's was. It's human nature. Onwards and upwards.

But that debut film has a hell of a lot to live up to, that's for sure.

• Given the knowledge that Barbara Broccoli and Cary Fukunaga had spitballed ideas about future Bond actors and the fact that both would be open to his return (provided NTTD is successful which I'm sure it will be), I wonder if it makes Luke Evans a more likely candidate. He stars in The Alienist, which is produced by Fukunaga and, in my opinion, has the most suitable look for the part. I haven't seen a ton of his work, but I think he has suitable chops and isn't too much of a household name/movie star at this point.

15042182_10150788859154963_2709737463001598302_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=973b4a&_nc_ohc=XwRa4rGn0s8AX-DkWac&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc2-1.fna&oh=1bff53b06af5ca7173848588e2fbf93d&oe=60FA4331

Evans would be another excellent choice. As an openly gay actor it would be interesting to see how he was dealt with by the tabloids.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 3,273
    Given the knowledge that Barbara Broccoli and Cary Fukunaga had spitballed ideas about future Bond actors and the fact that both would be open to his return (provided NTTD is successful which I'm sure it will be), I wonder if it makes Luke Evans a more likely candidate. He stars in The Alienist, which is produced by Fukunaga and, in my opinion, has the most suitable look for the part. I haven't seen a ton of his work, but I think he has suitable chops and isn't too much of a household name/movie star at this point.

Evans would be another excellent choice. As an openly gay actor it would be interesting to see how he was dealt with by the tabloids.

Without trying to sound too narrow minded or homophobic, I don't really think a gay actor is suitable for the role of Bond. Not saying Evans (or anyone else) doesn't have the acting chops to pull this off, its just that Bond is a unique, legacy role which goes beyond what the actor does on screen.

The most successful actors playing Bond carry the macho, sexy, suave, inherent charisma in real life too, not just on screen. Its one of the few roles left in Hollywood where the actor in real life needs to embody the main characteristics of the character too.

It's what Cubby and Harry saw in Connery, and something they have looked for ever since when casting every actor that followed, and Barbara carried on this trend when casting Craig.

Casting an actor to play Bond goes beyond RADA acting chops and good looks, and I doubt that will ever change, as long as the franchise keeps going.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Given the knowledge that Barbara Broccoli and Cary Fukunaga had spitballed ideas about future Bond actors and the fact that both would be open to his return (provided NTTD is successful which I'm sure it will be), I wonder if it makes Luke Evans a more likely candidate. He stars in The Alienist, which is produced by Fukunaga and, in my opinion, has the most suitable look for the part. I haven't seen a ton of his work, but I think he has suitable chops and isn't too much of a household name/movie star at this point.

Without trying to sound too narrow minded or homophobic, I don't really think a gay actor is suitable for the role of Bond. Not saying Evans (or anyone else) doesn't have the acting chops to pull this off, its just that Bond is a unique, legacy role which goes beyond what the actor does on screen.

The most successful actors playing Bond carry the macho, sexy, suave, inherent charisma in real life too, not just on screen. Its one of the few roles left in Hollywood where the actor in real life needs to embody the main characteristics of the character too.

Seems a bit odd to think that a gay man can't be macho, sexy and suave.

These guys don't play Bond off screen, only on screen. That sort of thinking leads to this kind of rubbish:

daniel_craig.jpg
    mtm wrote: »

These guys don't play Bond off screen, only on screen. That sort of thinking leads to this kind of rubbish:

daniel_craig.jpg

A gay man can be macho, sexy and suave. But the inherent sexuality of the character is hetrosexual, and needs to have that sexual animal magnetism towards the opposite sex, and vice versa.

In any other film or character, I don't think this would be an issue for a gay person to play a straight role, or vice versa. But with a huge legacy like Bond, the actor needs to tick every box under the sun to be universally acclaimed by fans and critics alike, otherwise he will be eaten alive by the media. That's the stark reality, which may sound hard to take in the modern PC correct world we now live in.
    I think Evans is too old, and I am still completely against Turner. He looks too Mediterranean to play Bond. He looks like someone who should play Zorro, not Bond, My top choices are still Nicholas Hoult and Jack Lowden, and now I am adding Joe Alwyn (thought he was American until now, thanks for the suggestion @shortlightandugly ).
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 1,215

daniel_craig.jpg

A gay man can be macho, sexy and suave. But the inherent sexuality of the character is hetrosexual, and needs to have that sexual animal magnetism towards the opposite sex, and vice versa.

In any other film or character, I don't think this would be an issue for a gay person to play a straight role, or vice versa. But with a huge legacy like Bond, the actor needs to tick every box under the sun to be universally acclaimed by fans and critics alike, otherwise he will be eaten alive by the media. That's the stark reality, which may sound hard to take in the modern PC correct world we now live in.
    Im not sure if you've seen any of Evans work but I can assure you there is no issue with heterosexual animal magnetism and he has played many "macho" hetero roles in the past.

Perhaps it's counterintuitive, but I feel like if anything it works in his favor. There will likely be some pressure from the studio or otherwise to make a push for some sort of diversity casting. I can envision a lot of groaning from the general public if we wind up with another white male, but a white gay male may play to that segment of the public. We're no longer in the days of Harry and Cubby and I believe that if Barbara felt that the right man for the job happened to be gay in real life, she'd still pull the trigger without hesitation.

daniel_craig.jpg

Im not sure if you've seen any of Evans work but I can assure you there is no issue with heterosexual animal magnetism and he has played many "macho" hetero roles in the past.

Perhaps it's counterintuitive, but I feel like if anything it works in his favor. There will likely be some pressure from the studio or otherwise to make a push for some sort of diversity casting. I can envision a lot of groaning from the general public if we wind up with another white male, but a white gay male may play to that segment of the public.

Maybe, then again maybe not. With billions of dollars of franchise cash at stake, I doubt Hollywood execs would be so bold to take gambles like that if they can help it.

If there are literally no white straight actors out there who can play Bond, then you may be onto something. As for the general public moaning that another white straight guy has been given the role, you can't even begin to imagine the backlash from the very same general public if a gay actor lands the role.

daniel_craig.jpg

Perhaps it's counterintuitive, but I feel like if anything it works in his favor. There will likely be some pressure from the studio or otherwise to make a push for some sort of diversity casting. I can envision a lot of groaning from the general public if we wind up with another white male, but a white gay male may play to that segment of the public. We're no longer in the days of Harry and Cubby and I believe that if Barbara felt that the right man for the job happened to be gay in real life, she'd still pull the trigger without hesitation.

Barbara chose Craig for the exact same reasons why Cubby and Harry chose Connery all those years ago. Instant sex appeal to the opposite sex. I really don't know if a gay guy carries off that same subconscious animal magnetism and universal appeal to the opposite sex because -

a) I'm not gay
    b) I'm not a woman
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2021 Posts: 14,861

daniel_craig.jpg

They're pretending though. Daniel Craig doesn't actually have sex with any of those women, and they most probably don't want to shag him as much as they seem to in the movies. Some of them probably aren't attracted to him at all, and vice versa. That's just how it works.
    So pretending to have magnetism would be no more of a problem for one guy than it is another. It's all pretend.

Well let's not blame the 'PC correct world' when it's not something which has actually happened, and in fact the 'PC correct world' would actually be all for it, not against it, if you're following that logic.
    What we actually see is prats like Piers Morgan calling Craig 'emasculated' for carrying his child around. These people are to be ignored.

daniel_craig.jpg

Perhaps it's counterintuitive, but I feel like if anything it works in his favor. There will likely be some pressure from the studio or otherwise to make a push for some sort of diversity casting. I can envision a lot of groaning from the general public if we wind up with another white male, but a white gay male may play to that segment of the public.

Maybe, then again maybe not. With billions of dollars of franchise cash at stake, I doubt Hollywood execs would be so bold to take gambles like that if they can help it.

If there are literally no white straight actors out there who can play Bond, then you may be onto something. As for the general public moaning that another white straight guy has been given the role, you can't even begin to imagine the backlash from the very same general public if a gay actor lands the role.

I honestly can't imagine there being a backlash. You'd get some alt-right weirdos on Twitter, and perhaps some dumb right wing idiots like Morgan trying to attract some attention, but otherwise everyone will be for it.
    Everyone will have an opinion on the next Bond, no matter who it is. He'll be too short/young/posh/tall/old/skinny no matter what. There will be tiresome noise, but I genuinely don't imagine there being much issue about sexuality because I think most people know it's not real.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

daniel_craig.jpg

Barbara chose Craig for the exact same reasons why Cubby and Harry chose Connery all those years ago. Instant sex appeal to the opposite sex. I really don't know if a gay guy carries off that same subconscious animal magnetism and universal appeal to the opposite sex because -

a) I'm not gay
    b) I'm not a woman

If you don't know, there's no reason not to think he's suitable then.

daniel_craig.jpg

a) I'm not gay
    b) I'm not a woman

If you don't know, there's no reason not to think he's suitable then.

What the hell do I know about what women find sexy and attractive in men anyway? Connery is a prime case in point. A balding man with a tache in his 60's gets voted the sexiest man alive, and women go on the record to confirm as such.

I'm not gay and not a woman so I don't know what that appeal is. But I'm guessing that X factor, that hidden unknown appeal is what producers are looking for when choosing the part of Bond.

And again, I really don't know if a gay guy carries that same appeal to women. If he does, and there are actors out there that prove this is the case, then so be it. Bring on the gay guy as the next Bond.
  • MakeItWorkforYouMakeItWorkforYou originating out of Belarus.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 20
    I hope they will put the franchise on ice for at least ten years - come back with a fresh idea that everyone will love. Get everyone salivating for another Bond, but don't give it to us for ten years. They just need some more time at the drawing board. I would prefer a younger bond, smoother faced not so rough as Dan. Luke Evans is too brutish for my taste, we need to go in a new direction. The gaps can be filled in with high quality novels, and videogames.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,382
    I've always wanted Taron Egerton to play the role. Yes, I know he's done Kingsman but I think by the time the next film comes out, he'd be the right age.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I've always wanted Taron Egerton to play the role. Yes, I know he's done Kingsman but I think by the time the next film comes out, he'd be the right age.

He's a great actor from what I've seen of him in Kingsman. The only thing he lacks is the harder edge to him, required to play Bond, perhaps that will come with age though
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Jordo007 wrote: »

He's a great actor from what I've seen of him in Kingsman. The only thing he lacks is the harder edge to him, required to play Bond, perhaps that will come with age though

I watched the critically panned Robin Hood last night that he starred in and there was some edge to him. I believe Connery never starred in any edgy films prior to Bond. That sort of thing can be learned and coached prior. He's gone on record saying that if offered, he would accept in a heartbeat
    Jordo007 wrote: »

I watched the critically panned Robin Hood last night that he starred in and there was some edge to him. I believe Connery never starred in any edgy films prior to Bond. That sort of thing can be learned and coached prior. He's gone on record saying that if offered, he would accept in a heartbeat

It won't be him. Kingsman is too close the franchise.

The next actor will be a relatively unknown name - and white, and male, and not gay - despite certain parts of the fanbase or public clamouring for such an actor. Sorry to break the bad news early.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat my hat.