Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• edited July 2021 Posts: 5,818
    Today, I put Godzilla Vs. Kong in my BR player, and enjoyed it. Yes, it's mindless fun, but rather well done. And we'll certainly hear from Kaylee Hottle in the future. Still, I wonder why it went DTV in France, instead of being released in the theaters. Puzzling, that.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Tonight (or make that last night, it's past midnight) I watched CHINATOWN again...mainly with the intention to watch the sequel THE TWO JAKES soon, but before catching up on the original. I saw CHINATOWN at least twice since the mid-70s but as usual forgat most about it in the meantime. That being said, I think it's a decent film-noir with great acting and a plot that I am starting to understand (I suppose) after having watched the movie for at least the third time. But even if I didn't understand everything that this movi was about (and come on, these doubts are inherent in film noir, think THE BIG SLEEP that couldn't have made sense to anyone!), I enjoyed it a whole lot, and I am looking forwared to watch the sequel shortly.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Tonight (or make that last night, it's past midnight) I watched CHINATOWN again...mainly with the intention to watch the sequel THE TWO JAKES soon, but before catching up on the original. I saw CHINATOWN at least twice since the mid-70s but as usual forgat most about it in the meantime. That being said, I think it's a decent film-noir with great acting and a plot that I am starting to understand (I suppose) after having watched the movie for at least the third time. But even if I didn't understand everything that this movi was about (and come on, these doubts are inherent in film noir, think THE BIG SLEEP that couldn't have made sense to anyone!), I enjoyed it a whole lot, and I am looking forwared to watch the sequel shortly.

I watched CHINATOWN the other day as well.
    I agree with you that it's a decent film but i think it is over rated.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Chinatown is a Masterpiece in cinema IMO, admittedly I have watched it hundreds of times.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Chinatown is a Masterpiece in cinema IMO, admittedly I have watched it hundreds of times.

Did you like the ending ?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Did you like the ending ?

The plot to me is secondary to the tone and how well the film is shot for me, the cinematography is stunning. Though it is a good Noir story.
    Some recent watches:
    Hellraiser III
    Cry the Beloved Country
    (1995)
    Exit Wounds
    Nobody's Fool
    King of New York
    Dangerous Minds
    (great song!)
    Happy New Year

The last one, Happy New Year, is from 1987 and stars Peter Falk. It's a lighthearted crime/romance film, and a remake of a French film which I haven't seen, but one can sense its French origins, as the story doesn't follow the usual path of a Hollywood film. The relationship stuff at the end is refreshingly different. Tom Courtenay has a supporting role as the manager of the jewelry store Falk wants to rob. After meeting with him for the first time, Falk decides he is a "phony weasel". That set me up to expect him to be revealed as a classic "jerk" character, especially considering he is introduced as being so polite to his customers, that it would be typical to have the character reveal a different side when not dealing with them. But to my delight, that moment never comes. He's shown to be an okay guy whether talking to customers, employees, even to Falk after he holds up the store. And there's never any hint of rotten behavior on his behalf. Once again, I found this terrific.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Some recent watches:
    Hellraiser III
    Cry the Beloved Country
    (1995)
    Exit Wounds
    Nobody's Fool
    King of New York
    Dangerous Minds
    (great song!)
    Happy New Year

The last one, Happy New Year, is from 1987 and stars Peter Falk. It's a lighthearted crime/romance film, and a remake of a French film which I haven't seen, but one can sense its French origins, as the story doesn't follow the usual path of a Hollywood film. The relationship stuff at the end is refreshingly different. Tom Courtenay has a supporting role as the manager of the jewelry store Falk wants to rob. After meeting with him for the first time, Falk decides he is a "phony weasel". That set me up to expect him to be revealed as a classic "jerk" character, especially considering he is introduced as being so polite to his customers, that it would be typical to have the character reveal a different side when not dealing with them. But to my delight, that moment never comes. He's shown to be an okay guy whether talking to customers, employees, even to Falk after he holds up the store. And there's never any hint of rotten behavior on his behalf. Once again, I found this terrific.

Exit Wounds? :-D I'm always pleased to see some love for our favourite action star turned living hamburger Steven Seagal, a controversial figure nowadays but nevertheless a fun topic of conversation.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    “Extraction” , starring Chris Hemsworth. I absolutely loved this film. The plot, a mercenary sent to recover a kidnapped child, is not revolutionary, but it’s execution is brutally energetic, with touches of pathos and a very effective score. There is a seemingly single take car chase that is exceptional.
    I hope to see more of this character
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed @talos7 I watched this some time ago but really enjoyed it and hope the Director a former stunt man gets to make a lot more movies.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Some recent watches:
    Hellraiser III
    Cry the Beloved Country
    (1995)
    Exit Wounds
    Nobody's Fool
    King of New York
    Dangerous Minds
    (great song!)
    Happy New Year

Exit Wounds? :-D I'm always pleased to see some love for our favourite action star turned living hamburger Steven Seagal, a controversial figure nowadays but nevertheless a fun topic of conversation.

I think that was his last decent film.
    From Beyond the Grave : The last of Amicus "Portmanteau movie", with Peter Cushing as an antique dealer whose clients (with one exception) suffer horrible fates when trying to cheat him. As usual, a great cast (Donald and Angela Pleasance first and foremost), and some inventive shock endings.

frombtg2.jpg
    Gerard wrote: »
    Today, I went back to the cinema (after almost a year-long dry spell, to see Black Widow, and I enjoyed it very much.Excellent casting (Florence Pugh shines, but so does Rachel Weisz), good action scenes, and even a tribute to James Bond (with a nice Chekov's Gun near the end). and (Spoiler Alert) :
    You will have trouble recognizing Olga Kurylenko.

Black Widow an excellent spy fantasy thriller in which women lead the way, mrs Craig is doing a great job and even Good ole Roger 007 Moore gets his moment. Great fun and a lot tighter than these Avenger movies. I hope we get one more Widow movie out of the actress playing her, she does a great job.
    the-tomorrow-war-movie-review-1.jpg
    Dumb though decent summer 90's style sci fi blockbuster, there were quite a few unintentional hilarious moments.
    FIRST MAN

taglioAlta_001260-1000x400.jpg

Very good film that tells the story about the events--the failures and successes--leading up to the landing on the moon. Ryan Gosling plays Neil Armstrong.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Some recent watches:
    Hellraiser III
    Cry the Beloved Country
    (1995)
    Exit Wounds
    Nobody's Fool
    King of New York
    Dangerous Minds
    (great song!)
    Happy New Year

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth is one of my all time favorite horror movies. That whole finale scared me so much as a kid.
    Broadway Melody of 1940. I've always been a fan of Fred Astaire, and here, he's paired with the loveliest tap dancer of the day, Eleanor Powell. A winning combination, even if we don't get a conclusion to the movie's love square. Still, worth watching. And the cartoon on the Blu-Ray version is charming.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 6,747
    Some recent watches:
    Hellraiser III
    Cry the Beloved Country
    (1995)
    Exit Wounds
    Nobody's Fool
    King of New York
    Dangerous Minds
    (great song!)
    Happy New Year

A fun topic indeed! I liked this movie. The fight scenes are over-the-top but boy they're fun. Highlights include the nightclub fight (that flip Seagal does when the other guy lifts him up...), Seagal beating the crap out of the bad guys while handcuffed to a moving van, Seagal jumping over a car... he even gets to ride a bike which I don't think he'd done before. And he even gets hit a few times, and choked with a chain! He shouldn't have been so stubborn about that in his career. To see the protagonist struggle adds to the enjoyment.

And he gets some solid comedic scenes, like the anger management therapy ("this is a happy face") and that brilliant jump cut from Seagal regretting he arrested an undercover cop, to Seagal directing traffic. Reminds me a little of Lethal Weapon 3 with Riggs and Murtaugh being demoted to patrolling the streets, but it's funnier here!

That thing DMX does with the shotgun is fun, too. He also has a brief, but cool fight scene with Isaiah Washington. Love his physical acting when he unloads the magazine of the gun at the end, to make it clear he doesn't want to harm the other guy. DMX is fairly relaxed and natural on the screen.

During the scene in which Seagal interrupts the robbery of the impounded drugs, I noticed that at times he held the gun in an unusual way, closer to his body than you would usually see in films. I don't know if it's good gun-handling technique but it's interesting to see.

After watching the film I read the corresponding chapter of Vern's book, Seagalogy. Hilarious stuff. There is recurring type of joke that he includes in the book-- here's an example involving DMX:

"He also bangs a guy’s head against a ceiling sprinkler. After killing him he does a slow motion turn and closes his eyes as the sprinklers drench him – you’re not sure if it’s supposed to be a badass look or a Shawshank Redemption-style cleansing of the human spirit."

I love how he offers these theories about certain scenes in Seagal's films having profound meanings --say, about what Seagal is thinking while staring off into the distance-- and then goes "...or maybe he was just tired", or words to that effect.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    Some recent watches:
    Hellraiser III
    Cry the Beloved Country
    (1995)
    Exit Wounds
    Nobody's Fool
    King of New York
    Dangerous Minds
    (great song!)
    Happy New Year

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth is one of my all time favorite horror movies. That whole finale scared me so much as a kid.
    It's a good film. Doug Bradley's dialogue is terrific, and he delivers it very well. The nightclub scene in which everyone dies is scary and grotesque. After watching the film I read about it in Paul Kane's book, The Hellraiser Films and Their Legacy. He talks at length about how the script evolved over time (they considered ending the film in a different, darker way), and how the film's story is built on the idea of war and its consequences, which we see both through Capt. Spencer and Joey. He also points out there is an immediate, unspoken respect and appreciation when the two characters meet, in part because Spencer is offering Joey a task to prove herself, which she has been denied in her profession. Astute observations there.

I also found the hospital scene delightfully surreal; everything dark and quiet until the paramedics come rushing in. The climactic scenes have a bit of that dreamlike touch too.

I enjoyed that moment where the priest tells Joey that demons are just metaphors-- I thought that betrayed a paradoxical lack of belief in the supernatural (at least in part).

This was the first Hellraiser film I watched. I'm going to see 1, 2, 4 and possibly the one with the detective protagonist (5?). Clive Barker's prose in The Hellbound Heart is fantastic, from what I've sampled, so I'll probably read that too.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It's been a while since I watched any of the Hellraiser films (I haven't seen the more recent two), but they fall off a cliff after the first four.

13365235084_61a06c17b6_b.jpg

My personal favourite entry in Hammer's Frankenstein series.
    It's been a while since I watched any of the Hellraiser films (I haven't seen the more recent two), but they fall off a cliff after the first four.
    I remember watching, many years ago, the scene when the twins come across Pinhead in the fourth film. Creepy.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    MV5BNWYxNzIxOTEtZWQyNS00OWY3LTgwNmMtMTI1MjI1MTE5OTZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwMzI2NzU@._V1_.jpg

I have seen this film so many times. It's one of my favorites, but not necessarily because of the film's famous car chase. In fact, for an "action" film, there is little action here. McQueen draws his gun and fires it only at the very end. That's it.

What draws me in is Steve McQueen's icy coolness, which may explain why I enjoy Bond films so much. Gotta love how the character remains calm; there are times when Frank Bullitt should smack Robert Vaughn's Chalmers, but doesn't. He just remains composed. There is a scene in particular when Bullitt takes a phone call and gets an earful from Chalmers; he is under pressure. Yet he manages to keep this away from girlfriend Jackie Bissett (who never looked more gorgeous than in this film). When she asks if he wants breakfast, he cooly replies "just coffee." He doesn't skip a beat. Love it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I remember watching, many years ago, the scene when the twins come across Pinhead in the fourth film. Creepy.

I quite like Bloodlines, and I live in hope that we might one day see the full cut of the film. After all, we have the Producers Cut of Halloween 6 (albeit on USA region BR, which is of no use to me).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2021 Posts: 40,492
    Oh that's great, @mattjoes, I didn't notice it was your first experience with the series. The first four are the only ones I ever find myself returning to, the third being my favorite, but the first two are really fantastic and there's some fun moments in Bloodline, even if it's cheesy shlock at times and took the series into space way too early.
    Another classic today : Monty Python's Life of Brian. Still as funny and relevant as it was some 40 years ago. My, how time flies ! And why wasn't this singer chosen to do a Bond song ?

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Another classic today : Monty Python's Life of Brian. Still as funny and relevant as it was some 40 years ago. My, how time flies ! And why wasn't this singer chosen to do a Bond song ?

Do you know that the singer of the theme song, Sonia Jones, was all of 16 years old when she recorded it, and the theme was deliberately modelled on James Bond themes?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Life of Brian, a classic :D

Do you know that the singer of the theme song, Sonia Jones, was all of 16 years old when she recorded it, and the theme was deliberately modelled on James Bond themes?

No I didn't. Nor did I know that the actress playing Judith ended up as the mayor of a welsh town which had banned the movie way back in 1979, and that she ended the ban in 2009. Funny, isn't it ?

No I didn't. Nor did I know that the actress playing Judith ended up as the mayor of a welsh town which had banned the movie way back in 1979, and that she ended the ban in 2009. Funny, isn't it ?

Now, that's a new one for me! Anyway, it seems it's never too late to learn. Just today, there was a report of a "Life of Brian" musical to be performed in Munich soon, and there were still posters who complained that apparently one could make fun of christianity but no other religions. In other words, even more than more than forty years after, people completely miss the point.
    THE BFG

thebfg03.jpg

I'm a huge Spielberg fan... and this is the first Spielberg film so far to have let me down. Its worst sin? Boredom, absolute boredom. Not a big Dahl fan either. But the big issue I have with this film is that it has nothing going on. It tries to thrive on its amazing visuals, CGI magic and other examples of technical genius. The problem is that this is 2016, several years post-Avatar, right in the middle of stunning Disney Star Wars and Marvel adventures which, by the way, actually have a story to tell. You know, the old "things are happening" trick, which THE BFG somehow managed to neglect as a necessity in a near-two-hour film.

I love DOOM 3 THE BFG edition. I love me a Big Framboise Gelato. But the Big Friendly Giant commits the inexcusable sin of being Boring, Flat and Goofy. Sorry Steven, I am a Big Fan with Gratitude for everything you've given me so far, but I wish you hadn't made this disaster piece. A Bad Film with nothing but Garbage. Yeah, I can keep going. Let's just leave it at this Spielberg fan being severely disappointed.

1/5
    THE BFG

thebfg03.jpg

I'm a huge Spielberg fan... and this is the first Spielberg film so far to have let me down. Its worst sin? Boredom, absolute boredom. Not a big Dahl fan either. But the big issue I have with this film is that it has nothing going on. It tries to thrive on its amazing visuals, CGI magic and other examples of technical genius. The problem is that this is 2016, several years post-Avatar, right in the middle of stunning Disney Star Wars and Marvel adventures which, by the way, actually have a story to tell. You know, the old "things are happening" trick, which THE BFG somehow managed to neglect as a necessity in a near-two-hour film.

I love DOOM 3 THE BFG edition. I love me a Big Framboise Gelato. But the Big Friendly Giant commits the inexcusable sin of being Boring, Flat and Goofy. Sorry Steven, I am a Big Fan with Gratitude for everything you've given me so far, but I wish you hadn't made this disaster piece. A Bad Film with nothing but Garbage. Yeah, I can keep going. Let's just leave it at this Spielberg fan being severely disappointed.

1/5

I beg to differ entirely...ok, not 5/5, but 4/5. I enjoyed THE BFG immensely, while not having had the slightest temptation to watch any of the latest Marvel or Disney Star Wars stuff (the dismal prequel trilogy gave me the rest already). I was not in the least extent bored by THE BFG (though I admit I often enjoy slower movies and never prefer a shorter cinematic version over a longer director's cut).

I still haven't watched all Spielberg movies although I own them on Blu-ray. I kept procrastinating on some films that I expect to be rather too melodramatic and/or romantic for my taste. Think ALWAYS, THE COLOR PURPLE, and WAR HORSE. But I have yet to see a bad Spielberg movie, and THE BFG is no exception at all.