What is your favourite/least favourite Pre-Title-Sequence?

Comments

• jbohoh7jbohoh7 Jet Skiing into Atlantis
    jbohoh7 wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    The best for me is, Goldeneye, love sneaky bond, sets up the story well and probably the best stunt in the series.
    If only they introduced Piece peering round the corner out the darkness rather then, descending down the toilet.

The worst in my opinion, A View To A Kill, a really average start to a weak movie. Moore's Bond was always too slapstick and lucky for me, he never looked like an accomplished agent.
    But Sir Roger Moore was an incredible gentlemen who I have huge respect for. Rest In Peace

For me, the Goldeneye pts was great, up until he jumped off the mountain and the fake green screen of him falling and catching up with the airplane was too fake and cheap looking. Anyone with some basic video editing software and computer can recreate that now. Much prefer real-life stunts, in my Bond/action films.

I know that jump was bad but stunt was performed completely real look it in the BTS of GoldenEye.

Glad you enjoyed it.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 65
    I can't think that the bathroom fight was filmed with a mindset that we're gonna do a rip off from True Lies. Funny how if we see something similar that it is an automatic ripoff.

So,

LALD wasn't a rip off of blaxploitation movies?
    TMWTGG wasn't a rip off of Kung Fu movies?
    MR wasn't a rip off of Star Wars?
    LTK wasn't a rip off of Miami Vice?
    Craig movies weren't a rip-off of Bourne movies?

Give me a break.

Nope it's called movie trends or theme which goes on and off almost every decade. They didn't just copy it frame by frame like mi series have Done in the last 2 films from bond series and other action films.
    Moonraker first 2 hour isn't a rip-off
    LTK isn't rip off
    Neither were TMWTGG or LALD
    The only thing Craig era has ripped from Bourne series was shaky camera's in QOS and not only bond but TDK also had an influence to many films in 21st century. Understand the difference between following an on going trend and ripping off

Like I said, you can believe what you like. The fact is, the 60's Bond movies were really ground breaking and truly original in story and scope when they first came out. They really ushered in the Action Movie genre. Now they're all "trends" (as you call it)/"rip offs" of each other competing studios. Cause Hollywood is completely out of original ideas.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,541
    I can't think that the bathroom fight was filmed with a mindset that we're gonna do a rip off from True Lies. Funny how if we see something similar that it is an automatic ripoff.

So,

Give me a break.

Nope it's called movie trends or theme which goes on and off almost every decade. They didn't just copy it frame by frame like mi series have Done in the last 2 films from bond series and other action films.
    LTK isn't rip off
    The only thing Craig era has ripped from Bourne series was shaky camera's in QOS and not only bond but TDK also had an influence to many films in 21st century. Understand the difference between following an on going trend and ripping off

Like I said, you can believe what you like. The fact is, the 60's Bond movies were really ground breaking and truly original in story and scope when they first came out. They really ushered in the Action Movie genre. Now they're all "trends" (as you call it)/"rip offs" of each other competing studios. Cause Hollywood is completely out of original ideas.

It's not about believing as much as facts in case you don't know "from Russia with love" had a lot influence from " North by NorthWest" . Every film takes inspiration from somewhere either it's from books or other films.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    GoldenEye and The World Is Not Enough

So,

Give me a break.

LTK isn't rip off

It's not about believing as much as facts in case you don't know "from Russia with love" had a lot influence from " North by NorthWest" . Every film takes inspiration from somewhere either it's from books or other films.

Inspiration is good defense for the Intellectual Property rights violators.

So,

Give me a break.

LTK isn't rip off

Inspiration is good defense for the Intellectual Property rights violators.

Call it whatever you want but I just responded about what you said about 60s era having originality and others as well.

Every film takes inspiration from somewhere either it's from books or other films.

Not really, You're just too "programmed" by today's Hollywood/Media to think everything is a copy of something and that's ok, status quo, and originality is not needed. You must enjoy the Hollywood "let's remake everything". Just to keep the $'s rollin' in with the current generation. Hence your handle "Resurrection" :>)

Every film takes inspiration from somewhere either it's from books or other films.

Not really, You're just too "programmed" by today's Hollywood/Media to think everything is a copy of something and that's ok, status quo, and originality is not needed. You must enjoy the Hollywood "let's remake everything". Just to keep the $'s rollin' in with the current generation. Hence your handle "Resurrection" :>)

Comes from someone who didn't Know much about (60s which you so humbly said originality also had rip-off scenes or 90s where they shot scenes completely real) or any era of bond or action films. You said CR bathroom fight was a rip-off if that's the way Everytime someone shoot an action scene in bathroom it will be true lies rip off and had more energy to it with B & W/bond was fighting one man instead of three not much of a gunfire either/Card games were only lasted for 30 mins If you want real action films without card games then you should look for films like zero dark thirty or Jason Bourne not bond because you are looking at the wrong place anyways.

Comes from someone who didn't Know much about (60s which you so humbly said originality also had rip-off scenes or 90s where they shot scenes completely real) or any era of bond or action films. You said CR bathroom fight was a rip-off if that's the way Everytime someone shoot an action scene in bathroom it will be true lies rip off and had more energy to it with B & W/bond was fighting one man instead of three not much of a gunfire either/Card games were only lasted for 30 mins If you want real action films without card games then you should look for films like zero dark thirty or Jason Bourne not bond because you are looking at the wrong place anyways.

No need to babble on bud. Take a deep breath, and relax. Discussion has gone way off topic.
    Favourite is probably GF and least favourite TB.

No need to babble on bud. Take a deep breath, and relax. Discussion has gone way off topic.

For once I agree with you, there is no need for this.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 65

For once I agree with you, there is no need for this.

Agreed. Good sharing a difference of opinion with you. Have a great weekend.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The top trio: GF, CR and SP.

Worst is probably YOLT.
  • favourite PTSs: GF, OHMSS, TSWLM, MR, OP, TLD, GE, TND, DAD, CR, QOS, SF, SP
    least favourites: YOLT, LALD and TWINE because they should have put the boat chase after the title sequence
    Favorite: The Living Daylights
    Least Favorite: You Only Live Twice
    It changes but SP is probably my favourite PTS right now. I never tire of watching it.

Least favourite PTS changes too but probably AVTAK at the moment.

Interesting how little people seem to like YOLT’s one. I agree the shooting-in-the-bed bit is rubbish but I do quite like the capture of the spacecraft, it’s nicely eerie. I think it;s also the first time we see the trope of a big thing opening up to swallow another thing, like a snake swallowing an egg. Stromberg’s Liparus is another example but I think YOLT is the first?
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    edited June 2021 Posts: 254
    Favourite Pre Title Sequences:

1) TLD - A solid start to Dalton’s tenure. It’s not everyday you’re clinging to the roof of an out of control Range Rover that’s been hijacked with explosives in the back before parachuting to safety and landing on a yacht

2) GE - Brosnan arrives in style and gets a quip in.

3) OHMSS - "This never happened to the other fella."

4) CR - The black and white background adds a noir style atmosphere and Craig is ice cold in his execution of Dryden.

5) LTK - Dalton doing his own stunts = win.

Least Favourite Pre-Title Sequences:

1) TB - Connery didn’t look overly enthused when he put on the jetpack.

2) AVTAK - The Beach Boys? Really?

3) DAF - So basically Bond kills a fake Blofeld

4) TWINE - The boat chase is impressive, but it goes on way too long.

5) TMWTGG - No Bond!
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited June 2021 Posts: 2,002
    Favorite PTS
    GF
    OHMSS
    TMWTGG
    MR
    TLD

Least Favorite PTS
    DAF
    LTK
    TWINE
    DAD
    QOS
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 890
    Favorite PTS
    1. TMWTGG
    2. OHMSS
    3. SP
    4. GE
    5. GF

Least Favorite PTS
    1. FYEO
    2. LTK
    3. DAF
    4. LALD
    5. QOS
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Favorite PTS

1. MR
    2. TND
    3. OP
    4. GE
    5. LTK

Least Favorite PTS

- SP
    - LALD
    - CR
    - QoS
    - TB
    TSWLM is my favourite pre-title sequence - it immediately gets the plot moving, introduces some key characters, Bond skis to Bond '77, and sets up an entire new era of opening sequences with that stunner of a finish leading to an iconic theme song. I can't imagine what a high that whole sequence must've been for moviegoers at the time, after a 3-year break from Bond and the last film being TMWTGG!

DAF is my least favourite - the PTS feels like a betrayal after OHMSS, even with Connery's return.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I didn’t get to see TSWLM on the big screen in 1977, however I did see it as part of a tribute to Roger Moore along with FYEO in a double bill in 2017.
    I’ve seen Spy so many times on the small screen, to see it on the big screen was amazing.
    The sky jump got a loud cheer and round of applause. An electric Bond moment for sure.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2021 Posts: 5,921
    Why does everyone hate YOLT so much? I mean, the Barry music alone should give it a point or two. In fact, I don't think I could put any Barry-scored PTS last, not even TMWTGG or AVTAK.

My second-favorite is in one of my least-favorite films, MR. Without Jaws' flapping, that PTS would beat TSWLM.

My least is probably the Bond-less LALD, followed by the boring TND and busy DAD.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    echo wrote: »
    Why does everyone hate YOLT so much? I mean, the Barry music alone should give it a point or two. In fact, I don't think I could put any Barry-scored PTS last, not even TMWTGG or AVTAK.

My second-favorite is in one of my least-favorite films, MR. Without Jaws' flapping, that PTS would beat TSWLM.

My least is probably the Bond-less LALD, followed by the boring TND and busy DAD.

I'd guess YOLT gets crap because the fake death is so incredibly stupid. I mean, it absolutely works as a scene by itself, but once you're into the movie, and certainly upon repeated viewings, you just think "none of this makes any sense whatsoever".
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,314
    Interesting to see TWINe getting some negativity. I’ve never rated the PTS boat chase it looks so staged and sterile. The camera work is poor and it looks more like a show at universal studios. Same can be said for most of the action in TWINE. I think Vic Armstrong’s style or camera work was becoming dated here

It also makes absolutely zero logical sense for the cigar girl to be there with a machine gun.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Interesting to see TWINe getting some negativity. I’ve never rated the PTS boat chase it looks so staged and sterile. The camera work is poor and it looks more like a show at universal studios. Same can be said for most of the action in TWINE. I think Vic Armstrong’s style or camera work was becoming dated here

It also makes absolutely zero logical sense for the cigar girl to be there with a machine gun.

That's an interesting observation. I've never really thought about the action sequences like that, but I'll be on the lookout for it next time I watch.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    edited June 2021 Posts: 1,172
    I'd guess YOLT gets crap because the fake death is so incredibly stupid. I mean, it absolutely works as a scene by itself, but once you're into the movie, and certainly upon repeated viewings, you just think "none of this makes any sense whatsoever".

Totally agree re YOLT. There is no part of that PTS that can be explain in any logical way; I tried to when watching the film with my 11yr old son for the first time a few weeks ago.

- Who are they trying to fool with the bed shooting scene? There must be some reason behind putting on this act rather than simply holding the funeral.

- Who is shooting him and how do they know to arrive just at that point?

- How do the police arrive immediately afterwards?

- Why is there blood on the bedsheets?

- Why does Bond actually seem to be dead, well enough to convince the policemen?

- Why actually have Bond inside the bodybag and sent underwater at the funeral, rather than simply burying a weighted item that resembles a body?

Sorry but it really is utter rubbish from start to finish. Much like the multiple continuity errors and illogicalities in DAF, you wonder how these moments actually made it into the finished film without anyone questioning them.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited June 2021 Posts: 4,378
    @Tokoloshe2. I was aware that it didn't make much sense but reading all your questions shows that it is even worse than I realized... All these plotholes combined with the fact that I usually dislike space scenes make the YOLT PTS one of the weakest for me but the worst is by far the one from DAF.

The best? TLD or GE followed by TSWLM
  • Certain films call for greater scrutiny than others where logic is concerned. A more ambitious film that's striving for dramatic gravitas like Skyfall has less leeway to just throw silly things in for the sake of it. I'm not saying You Only Live Twice doesn't have a messy or dashed-together script, but I don't watch it for the story or the drama of it all. I watch it for the splendor of the music and its fixation on the 60s space race and the piranhas and Pleasance's kinda kooky, kinda chilling Blofeld and that volcano lair and James Bond in Japan. It wouldn't make my top 10, but YOLT's PTS does the job for me. I particularly enjoy Barry's "Capsule in Space" playing over the rather-good-for-their-time effects when Bird One leaves that poor astronaut floating untethered in space.

If I had to pick one that does the least to get me pumped for the film ahead, I'd say LALD and how it simply shows three no-name agents getting offed in not particularly exciting ways. The best of the three is probably the guy who gets pecked on the cheek by a rubber snake, still...not really what I expect of a PTS.
    HOT TAKE ALERT!

LALD's PTS was atmospheric, intriguing, and a perfect mood-setter for the oddly satisfactory supernatural tinge of the film. Bond's mysterious absence (especially while introducing a new Bond) fit perfectly well with the tone of the film. It also led perfectly into one of the best title songs of the series. I don't need to see Bond in THIS PTS for it to work.