Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Was there? I missed that luckily: seems ridiculous they'd miss the point of that joke! :)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Satire has always kinda struggled with broader audiences.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    This guy says:

If he's right about it being for Indy, it's interesting that all of the cars there are from the 1950s - no 60s ones at all that I can spot.

Also: Indy actually visiting the UK onscreen for the first time, which is nice!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Might be set in the early 60s?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Early 60s seems possible. They may just have picked old-looking cars to keep everything in that Indy style.
    It's not looking late 60s though as I would have guessed. Unless it's set over the course of several years from the 40s to the 60s - possible I guess.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It might be a flashback scene...
    Not everyone drives that year's model...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Since62 wrote: »
    Not everyone drives that year's model...

Indeed, but you'd expect to see at least one from the current decade :)
  • Can't wait to see some filming from more exotic locations.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Can't wait to see some filming from more exotic locations.

We probably won't see so much when they head into the desert - not so many camera phones there!
    chrisisall wrote: »

This is turning out to be quite an extensive flashback then.

Until we start actually seeing 60s period appropriate settings, I’m assuming they’re actually going to try to make a full fledged 1940s Indiana Jones adventure.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,927
    chrisisall wrote: »

This is turning out to be quite an extensive flashback then.

Until we start actually seeing 60s period appropriate settings, I’m assuming they’re actually going to try to make a full fledged 1940s Indiana Jones adventure.

?
    Have a look at the photo I posted up there: it's 50s or 60s.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 8,021
    If that’s supposed to be the 60s, it seems everyone is driving vehicles that are 10 to 20 years old.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If that’s supposed to be the 60s, it seems everyone is driving vehicles that are 10 to 20 years old.

If it's 'fully fledged' in the 1940s then they're driving cars which haven't been built yet! :))

None of those cars were made in the 40s, no. They're pretty much all mid-late 50s (hired from here): the earliest would appear to be the Healey on the left which is from 1951 - but I don't think they'd really worry too much on being exact on the dates with a few cars in the background.
    if it were early 60s it would be fine- any later than that and they seem a bit out of date.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    People back then didn’t purchase new vehicles every three or five years; it’s entirely conceivable that a street in the early 60’s would be filled with late 50’s cars.
    Great work @mtm ! Yep, most of the film taking place in the early 60s, just a few years after Indy 4 seems like the most likely scenario right now. I would have preferred a mid to late 60s setting, with a full-on 1960s aesthetic, but one can't have everything.
    I wonder how they'll write off Mutt and Marion if it's only a few years after.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    kenton wrote: »
    I wonder how they'll write off Mutt and Marion if it's only a few years after.

They'll go the Dallas route, and make KOTCS all a dream. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it'll be quite easy to pack Mutt off into the army or something. Just say he had a change of heart after Skull. Or he's done what Indy did and went to live around the world.

Hopefully Marion will appear in some fashion but if she gets left behind that's fine. I prefer to have a new cast.
    Btw, I am overjoyed that Mutt is not returning. Back in 2008 it seemed impossible that we would get an Indiana Jones 5 without Mutt.
    There's another reason Mutt's not returning.............

Shia has secretly been in talks with Barbara to take over from Craig. So he doesn't have time to play Mutt when he'll be shooting the new Bond movie next year .

Just kidding. He does look dashing in the proper attire, though.

Shia-LaBeouf-Venice-Premiere-Company-You-Keep.jpg
    talos7 wrote: »
    People back then didn’t purchase new vehicles every three or five years; it’s entirely conceivable that a street in the early 60’s would be filled with late 50’s cars.

I concur. As a kid I used to date movies by the cars. It was usually a ten year lag.
    mtm wrote: »
    I think it'll be quite easy to pack Mutt off into the army or something. Just say he had a change of heart after Skull. Or he's done what Indy did and went to live around the world.

Hopefully Marion will appear in some fashion but if she gets left behind that's fine. I prefer to have a new cast.

I think it would be easier to just say that Mutt actually managed to open up his own auto shop after going back to college. This whole conceit by fans worried that that he would become an adventurer like his dad just never sounded convincing. He only went out on an adventure with Indy to find his mom.

Of all the problems in KOTCS, I never understood the issue people had with Mutt or the actor. I thought he was fine for the most part.

Of all the problems in KOTCS, I never understood the issue people had with Mutt or the actor. I thought he was fine for the most part.
    Yep.

Maybe Marion died off-screen after a Nazi attack?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    There's another reason Mutt's not returning.............

Shia has secretly been in talks with Barbara to take over from Craig. So he doesn't have time to play Mutt when he'll be shooting the new Bond movie next year .

Just kidding. He does look dashing in the proper attire, though.
    Shia-LaBeouf-Venice-Premiere-Company-You-Keep.jpg
    Whoah in that image Shia LaBeouf favors Ralph Fiennes. Heavily.

Maybe they could bring him in on a Daddy theme. Connect things, even.

AND. I. AM. JUST. KIDDING. HERE.

• Labeof was awful. Don't mind the role recast and much better written.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think it would be easier to just say that Mutt actually managed to open up his own auto shop after going back to college. This whole conceit by fans worried that that he would become an adventurer like his dad just never sounded convincing. He only went out on an adventure with Indy to find his mom.

Yes he did a decent job. It could have been an extremely irritating character but it wasn’t.
    Just saw that Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was recently added on Paramount+. May finally give it a crack.
    Early 60s seems possible.
    Plenty to explore here. The Cuban missile crisis, first man in space, the Berlin Wall being built, JFK assassination, the 1st Bond movie :-)