Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

I think the QoS titles holds up favorably with Kleinman's recent work.

I like the opening shimmer that resolves into Bond's silhouette, the latitude/longitude lines that recall Binder's work in YOLT, the visual metaphor between the sand dunes and a woman's body, the mandala of female silhouettes, and the images of Bond falling that forecast the Skyfall titles.

However, there's a little too much of Craig walking around aiming his gun and the opening/closing images of the bullet flying through space drag somewhat.

Another thing to praise MK12 for: its creative director Ben Radatz wrote a superb and highly informative history of Bond titles sequences in 2012, which remains the best resource on the subject--"James Bond: 50 Years of Main Title Design."
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I love the MK12 sequence and the song too. I need to re-watch the video game version, I remember it being similarly good.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It's interesting, I like the title sequence for Quantum of Solace but the song so much, and I like the video game song, but not the title sequence so much, even though the little car chase intercuts are cool :)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Okay that got my interest and was a nice watch as well.

James Bond - Quantum of Solace - (Game) Intro - HD.mp4
    Mallory wrote: »
    The only thing I dislike is the boring font choice, same old Arial. Give us something a bit snazzier.

Perhaps that is why I like MK12’s custom font for QoS

I would argue that the "Quantum" typeface is the ONLY good thing about the MK12 title sequence :)) I've said it a million and a half times, but it's the worst of the series by about ten miles from whatever comes 23rd. Hell, the Never Say Never Again title sequence is better and that's just a bunch of 007's zooming in towards the screen! :)) :)) :))

Why?

I think it's ugly. Even though CGI has been utilized in the title sequences since GoldenEye, I never feel that I'm watching something ultra-artificial and plastic with any of Kleinman's sequences whereas I'm consciously thinking about how I'm watching CGI when I see the QoS sequence.

I don't like the colour palette at all, it's so brown and black and tan. I don't like the way Bond looks in it, or the overall effects of the bullets and whatnot. I don't like the spider web-like strands that streak in the background (this happens in the music video as well, which is even POORER looking, and I'm not even going to get into how godawful AWTD is), and as @MakeshiftPython noted above, it's unbearably repetitive.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The images in the background represent the lines of latitude and longitude around a globe, quite fitting considering the films' themes and logos.
    I don't dislike the QOS title sequence, but I find it the weakest of the Craig Bond movies. The others are imo the very best of the series.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't dislike the QOS title sequence, but I find it the weakest of the Craig Bond movies. The others are imo the very best of the series.

CR and SF are exceptional sequences, the Spectre one is really meh, no cohesiveness in the design, just a load of stuff thrown together.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I agree @Ludovico QOS is in my opinion the weakest of the Craig title sequences.
    Mallory wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »

CR and SF are exceptional sequences, the Spectre one is really meh, no cohesiveness in the design, just a load of stuff thrown together.

I still like it a lot. Love the octopus and the call back to previous films.
    I find something , I don't want to say disgusting but unpleasant about all the tentacles wrapping around the bodies in the titles.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    That all said, “Another Way to Die” is an atrocious song that should have been outright rejected.
    :)) agreed @MakeshiftPython
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Oh, new controversial opinion then: AWTD is easily my favorite of the Craig era. It's my ringtone. The opening bars are my favorite 20 seconds of Bond music ever.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2021 Posts: 17,727
    Oh, new controversial opinion then: AWTD is easily my favorite of the Craig era. It's my ringtone. The opening bars are my favorite 20 seconds of Bond music ever.

It's very reminiscent of TMWTGG for me. I like it as something very different from the more normal type of Bond theme and I think that it works on that level.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Like Writing's on the Wall, I listen to the instrumental a lot. All of my problems with it disappear when you take away the lyrics and respective performances. :))
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Another Way to Die is ok in my book. It just happens to be sandwiched between two of the best songs and title sequences in the series. CR is amazing all around SF is perfect.

Like Writing's on the Wall, I listen to the instrumental a lot. All of my problems with it disappear when you take away the lyrics and respective performances. :))

I can totally get not liking the performances, absolutely. But I find the lyrics quite good. A very cool, rock and roll description of what it is to be Bond.
    AWTD has grown on me quite a bit through the years. It is not very Bondian in style, but it's quite a decent song.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 8,009

I can totally get not liking the performances, absolutely. But I find the lyrics quite good. A very cool, rock and roll description of what it is to be Bond.

Yeah, maybe I'm being unfair to the lyrics as written. I've actually never heard a cover of AWTD; perhaps one that hits the mark for me in terms of performance would have me look upon it more favourably.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 1,664

Yeah, maybe I'm being unfair to the lyrics as written. I've actually never heard a cover of AWTD; perhaps one that hits the mark for me in terms of performance would have me look upon it more favourably.

You probably know Q the Music. Their version isn't a duet, it's a female vocalist doing all of it, and it's much better than the original.

I think everything works in the song except the singer. Have Adele sing the exact same song and you've got something very different.

You probably know Q the Music. Their version isn't a duet, it's a female vocalist doing all of it, and it's much better than the original.

Yeah, that's definitely more like it. The song sounds great when given the big brass band treatment, too! Thanks for sharing, @ProfJoeButcher :)
  • Gav007Gav007 Norfolk
    edited June 2021 Posts: 1
    I prefer Bond on a bike than in a car. There, I said it.

Few belting memories here: https://www.bikesure.co.uk/bikesureblog/2021/04/james-bonds-greatest-motorcycling-moments.html

I reckon we'll see plenty of two-wheel stuff when No Time To Die comes out too
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Gav007 wrote: »
    I prefer Bond on a bike than in a car. There, I said it.

Few belting memories here: https://www.bikesure.co.uk/bikesureblog/2021/04/james-bonds-greatest-motorcycling-moments.html

I reckon we'll see plenty of two-wheel stuff when No Time To Die comes out too

There are so many mistakes in that piece, I just stopped reading.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2021 Posts: 5,921
    I think it’s ugly and repetitive.

“Oh great, another bullet firing in sand.”

And brown.

I hope Kleinman doesn't give away the plot in the NTTD titles, like he did with SP and to a lesser extent SF. I prefer the more "thematic" titles, like TSWLM and CR and even GE.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    echo wrote: »

And brown.

I hope Kleinman doesn't give away the plot in the NTTD titles, like he did with SP and to a lesser extent SF. I prefer the more "thematic" titles, like TSWLM and CR and even GE.

That's what bothers me about the Mission impossible title sequences. They are giving away good parts of the movie in them, especially with Fallout
    Controversial opinion:
    I like the title sequences to ALL the Bond films including NSNA.
    Actually, the CR spoof has a very entertaining title sequence.

Always found it interesting Kleinman chose to use the poster art font when the actual title appears on his Bond films.
    I imagine he'll keep this tradition alive with the NTTD Love Boat font.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

And brown.

That's what bothers me about the Mission impossible title sequences. They are giving away good parts of the movie in them, especially with Fallout

Mission: Impossible had done that from the very beginning, with the TV show having a different intro showing bits of the episode in the opening sequence. I’ve tended to look at those bits as “trailer footage” rather than something genuinely spoilery. I think the second film is the only one to veer away from that tradition.

And brown.

Mission: Impossible had done that from the very beginning, with the TV show having a different intro showing bits of the episode in the opening sequence. I’ve tended to look at those bits as “trailer footage” rather than something genuinely spoilery. I think the second film is the only one to veer away from that tradition.

The third film also abandons that style and sticks simply with a burning fuse.