No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2021 Posts: 7,969
    Tough.

You’ll all have to wait and be patient. It’s not like there’s anything else you can do.

You should run EON PR department. Just the man they're looking for.
    Since62 wrote: »
    Something else to do ?
    Watch the Derek Flint film series...dang, there's just two. From the days when others copied Bond, and not the other way around.
    Has anyone read the That Man Flint comic books ? I've not yet figured out how many comprised the series, or where to find them.

Have you seen Black Panther? It's a remake of Skyfall.

Tom Cruise's Mission Impossible films rip off one Bond stunt after another.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Someone wrote: »
    Something else to do ?
    Watch the Derek Flint film series...dang, there's just two. From the days when others copied Bond, and not the other way around.
    Has anyone read the That Man Flint comic books ? I've not yet figured out how many comprised the series, or where to find them.

Have you seen Black Panther? It's a remake of Skyfall.

Tom Cruise's Mission Impossible films rip off one Bond stunt after another.

Indeed, and all Westerns rip off the first Western because they feature horses.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Tough.

You’ll all have to wait and be patient. It’s not like there’s anything else you can do.

You should run EON PR department. Just the man they're looking for.

Good news for you: They won’t make another Bond film until Sam Mendes agrees to come back for another film. It could take years, but whatevs.
    If they're going to start up with another Bond actor the next time out after NTTD, won't Martin Campbell be legally, constitutionally, morally, ethically, heroically, happily, gratefully and contractually bound to direct the next re-Bond (new word I just coined in place of "soft re-boot" or "hard re-boot", especially since "who knows ?", to cover the gamut of "just carry on" through to "starting all over" for new Bonds) ? He has, you know, gotten quite good at it.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yeah maybe the third time would be the charm, @Since62.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’m sure if he got the gig there would be no fans complaining... none whatsoever...
    I’m sure if he got the gig there would be no fans complaining... none whatsoever...

That is for sure!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited May 2021 Posts: 2,036
    New Jeffery Wright interview

https://www.starburstmagazine.com/features/jeffrey-wright-interview

Edit: sorry, its not new, just republished, my bad.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    If they're going to start up with another Bond actor the next time out after NTTD, won't Martin Campbell be legally, constitutionally, morally, ethically, heroically, happily, gratefully and contractually bound to direct the next re-Bond (new word I just coined in place of "soft re-boot" or "hard re-boot", especially since "who knows ?", to cover the gamut of "just carry on" through to "starting all over" for new Bonds) ? He has, you know, gotten quite good at it.

This has come up before, and I think there is a separate thread for would-be/could-be directors, but my feeling is: No way. He's not only long in the tooth, but his work on CR has not aged well, imho. The script and DC's performance made that film. Much of it looks amateurish--in the production design and camerawork. The shot of Bond and Vesper in the shower is one of the few highlights.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Just wanted to pop in and say that while somewhat suppressed due to the current five-month wait, my excitement for this film continues and I think it's going to be quite the experience!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'm interested in how much the MI6 regulars factor in this story, I mean Bond is retired, I doubt will see any M, C or Moneypenny scene with Nomi. So will that mean that won't happen till later on in the film?
    Will Bond be going rogue hunting down Safin or will be there to assist Nomi?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Some of that's revealed in one of the trailers plus publicity photos, isn't it.

True spoilers below.

notimetodietrailer3.jpg
    screen-shot-2020-09-03-at-12-04-21-1599132624.jpg?resize=480:*
    B25_24872_C.jpg?itok=fE8le2QW
    MV5BMTkxM2IxNDYtY2NlMy00ZjhmLWIxY2YtYTdkOWM2MGMwMDNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyMTcwMDY1._V1_SY1000_CR0012041000_AL.jpg?fit=1204%2C1000&ssl=1
    Is she about to shoot his knee...... the one that works?
    Some of that's revealed in one of the trailers plus publicity photos, isn't it.

True spoilers below.

notimetodietrailer3.jpg
    screen-shot-2020-09-03-at-12-04-21-1599132624.jpg?resize=480:*
    B25_24872_C.jpg?itok=fE8le2QW
    MV5BMTkxM2IxNDYtY2NlMy00ZjhmLWIxY2YtYTdkOWM2MGMwMDNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyMTcwMDY1._V1_SY1000_CR0012041000_AL.jpg?fit=1204%2C1000&ssl=1

Cheers mate, it's been months since I've watched the trailer, I couldn't remember
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2021 Posts: 5,834
    I can't wait for the whole Bond/Nomi interaction in Jamaica.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    edited May 2021 Posts: 469
    Denbigh wrote: »

I hope it resembles something like a 'Lethal Weapon' foe to friendship. They say that they're trying to go for a buddy cop spin, and I also suspect that Nomi will be the first non sexual female buddy of Bond's - she might even fill in a sort of Felix role.

What I don't want though is Nomi becoming a 'statement' character and falling into the recent trend of flat Mary Sues that can do nothing wrong because of a misguided sense of empowerment. That would do nothing but make her an obnoxious, unlikable character and I don't wish that on Lynch because she knows how to act and can definitely bring a convincing and well rounded character, given a good script that respects writing.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    What I don't want though is Nomi becoming a 'statement' character and falling into the recent trend of flat Mary Sues that can do nothing wrong because of a misguided sense of empowerment. That would do nothing but make her an obnoxious, unlikable character and I don't wish that on Lynch because she knows how to act and can definitely bring a convincing and well rounded character, given a good script that respects writing.
    Yeah, I can understand that. The more frustrating thing for me is those people who already see and will only see a statement character, even if the film and her character especially impresses most of us. I just think a lot of fans who are calling Nomi out for the character she is, have already made their mind up...

...also who cares about that if we enjoy it right? :D
    I also think it's a shame, for example, that Nomi's character is gonna have to work ten times harder than say Paloma who for a lot of fans just needs to be hot.

I hope it resembles something like a 'Lethal Weapon' foe to friendship. They say that they're trying to go for a buddy cop spin, and I also suspect that Nomi will be the first non sexual female buddy of Bond's - she might even fill in a sort of Felix role.

Given Phoebe Waller Bridge was brought onboard to re-write the female characters, you would hope that she cleverer that just reverting to type.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes that will be interesting. I guess you could say that Eve and Camille were both in that role to some extent, but he absolutely tried it on with Eve, and even Camille got a little kiss; but given the age gap (which they will actually be playing up I would imagine) I think it's likely there's no sexual dimension to Bond and Nomi's relationship.
    We'll see of course!
    I also think it's a shame, for example, that Nomi's character is gonna have to work ten times harder than say Paloma who for a lot of fans just needs to be hot.

Indeed.
    edited May 2021 Posts: 469
    Mallory wrote: »

Given Phoebe Waller Bridge was brought onboard to re-write the female characters, you would hope that she cleverer that just reverting to type.

I'm very worried about PWB.

Her writing is decent - it captures you, but her jokes and humor fall flat to me. At their worst, they are basically the female version of frat boy toilet humor. Especially if you watch Fleabag - the drama and her breakdown in the last few episodes is written fantastically but everything before is just dull sexual humor and laughing at cringe/awkwardness. Killing Eve is better by a small margin and the dynamic between the two leads has potential, but again the comedy is just boring to me - just 'look at this gender-based thing I experience wow! Isn't it funny?!'

Sorry to fans of her, but I see her humor as a higher class female version of Adam Sandler humor; mostly based around sex, bodily functions and social failure.
    Yeah, I can understand that. The more frustrating thing for me is those people who already see and will only see a statement character, even if the film and her character especially impresses most of us. I just think a lot of fans who are calling Nomi out for the character she is, have already made their mind up...

...also who cares about that if we enjoy it right? :D

I think in general, people have become very in tune to that kind of lazy writing, and when something even shows hints of that being a possibility we immediately recoil away from it and mark it with a big red flag. I agree that, especially given that Nomi is nowhere near as conventionally attractive as Paloma her character will have to be incredible to be able to sway some people's minds.

Lazy, shallow writing mocked up as apparent empowerment has honestly done so much harm to women and minority portrayals in media, especially with that ugly trend of replacing well-known characters with what are basically Mary Sues found on fanfiction websites written by power tripping idiots. I really hate that instead of being interested and excited for a female/minority agent as it used to be in the early 2000s, we are now jaded and wary thanks to all these aforementioned screwups.
    One of the things I like about Bond films are beautiful women ; I also love strong women, like Vesper. When it comes to Nomi, I’m very open to a character who is a bit at odds with Bond.

That said, I just don’t find her the least bit attractive; before someone brings up race, I have seen endless Black/African American women who are incredibly beautiful and many who are strong actors,
    Naomie Harris being one.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2021 Posts: 7,969

Why are some fans always pointing to an imagined double standard?

One character is supposedly to take the 007 mantle from Bond, whilst the other isn't. That's all there is to it.

One character is supposedly to take the 007 mantle from Bond, whilst the other isn't. That's all there is to it.

And I think this is why a more overtly attractive woman was not cast. If they had wanted to do so, a Black actress whose beauty equaled or even surpassed Paloma could have been cast.

• DenbighDenbigh UK

One character is supposed to take the 007 mantle from Bond, whilst the other isn't.
    But is it really "taking the mantle" if it's for one film and won't be taken any further than that one film? She's still taking it, but not to end 60 years of history, but to create a realistic character and situation out of the narrative they've found themselves in, for again, one story:

Bonds out, a new agent in. Happens to be a black, female agent. She could've been a ginger Scotsman, but she isn't because it's a clever and new way to introduce a new Bond badass girl, and changes nothing about James Bond, apart from a codename that on its own changes nothing about who James Bond is and how important he is to the franchise...

...because again James Bond will be 007 again in Bond 26, so just enjoy the mix-up for one movie.

Also, it's impossible to be attracted to every Bond girl there's been.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Skyfall red carpet Madrid 2012 with a certain Ana De Armas on the guestlist.

gtvc3Iz.jpg

I'm excited for the Jamaica sequence to see Bond relaxing (most probably bored) trying to live a normal life. It's something we rarely see in Bond films in recent years
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I'm excited for the Jamaica sequence to see Bond relaxing (most probably bored) trying to live a normal life. It's something we rarely see in Bond films in recent years
    Too many great looking moments to discuss. I think the entire Cuba sequence is going to be a real highlight...

Three competent MI6/CIA agents, two of which are in formal attire, carrying out an action-filled mission during a possible SPECTRE meeting at an extravagant party in Cuba? Um... yes please.
    @Denbigh Likewise, I suspect the Cuba sequence will be the highlight of the film. The whole set up and looks screams classic 60’s Bond.