"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

All out War!
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/04/19/jose-mourinho-facing-tottenham-sack-today-brought-talks/amp/
    Jose Sacked.
    Edited: He may have walked.
    ---
    Champions League Expanding in 2024 for what it's worth.
    ---
    Boris Johnson says breakaway European Super League plans ‘very damaging’ for football
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/european-super-league-boris-johnson-football-b1833505.html?amp
    ---

Interesting comments from Arsene.

Arsène has been talking about the possibility of a European Super League for years. Here's what he said in 2009:
    “I see more a European league developing over time rather than one team going out of the country.

“The national teams will survive but maybe in 10 years, you will have a European league.

“I’m not sure 100% that I’m right but I feel inside our game there are some voices behind the scenes coming up to do something about that, especially if the rules become too restrictive for these clubs.

“Personally, I believe only in sporting merit.

“So, if such a league is created, it has to be by transfers up and down, although that is practically very difficult to resolve and we do not want to kill the national leagues.

“Teams would have to play in both the European league in midweek and the national league at the weekend. It means all these teams have two teams.”

Wenger concluded with: “The way we are going financially is that even the money that will be coming in from the Champions League will not be enough for some clubs because they spend too much money.

“The income is basically owned by UEFA and they distribute the money to the clubs.”
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Personally I loathe the whole Super League idea. Everything about it is everything what football should not be about. If they go ahead with it though, I'd say football is better off without these 12 clubs.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Personally I loathe the whole Super League idea. Everything about it is everything what football should not be about. If they go ahead with it though, I'd say football is better off without these 12 clubs.

Indeed.

These quotes from Florentino Perez are just…ugh… :-&

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2021 Posts: 23,271
    I remember the Super League being discussed in the 90's, the comments I found interesting of Wenger's were that the deeper issue were forces trying to undermine the Premier League which is exactly what this will do, it will weaken it considerably.

Indeed.

These quotes from Florentino Perez are just…ugh… :-&

These comments are anti football.
    ---
    Boris Johnson helming round table to discuss the issue this afternoon.
    ---
    Its reported that some owners in the Big Six are getting cold feet, guaranteed it wont be Man United, Arsenal or Liverpool.
    If Perez finds the current CL not competitive enough, he could always be less greedy and respect Financial Fair Play. Stronger underdog teams such as Ajax or Porto, but also a better Valencia would make football more competitive at home and in Europe.

---
    @GoldenGun Perez et al just want an easy fix to bail themselves out of debt and accumulate more money and don't care about any other team.
    Woodward has resigned from Manchester United, this is huge.
    It's already starting to crumble. Glad that some things just can't be done without the people backing it up. Or am I being too optimistic now?
    Only just catching up with news apparently Chelsea and City have pulled out.
    ---
    EzcUc6CWQAMsH5g?format=jpg&name=small
    https://mobile.twitter.com/JHenderson/status/1384597901079371778?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
    Jordan Henderson rallied all Captains in the Premier League.
    By the looks of it this is about to turn into a pretty akward fiasco... ;))
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 17,272
    Arsenal going with the "We're so, so, sorry" angle in their statement tonight :))

Never thought the Kroenkes could become more hated within the fan base, but they sure managed to do that.
    All six Premier League Teams have withdrawn, this is ridiculous though very welcome. What did these club owners expect.

Attacking the history and tradition of English football was futile, they underestimated how deeply ingrained football is in people's heart and soul.
    vv458OAMRZyDHNdKi0jt_ex20p01_1618867423_001.png
    This sums it up perfectly.
    The last three teams in the Super League are Juve, Barca and Real everyone else has withdrawn.

Barca are rumoured to not be withdrawing lol

Each of the teams that signed up paid 8 million pounds.

If money is that important and Real have none and football will die in 2024, why have Real agreed a deal to sign Alaba on a five year contract in the summer on reported ridiculous wages :))

He needs to stop talking.

These so called big teams playing each other weekly will get dull quick, it means something when these teams cross paths years down the line renewing an old rivalry i.e. Man United v Bayern.

It means something when West Brom beat Chelsea in a high stakes game, that's the beauty of the game right there.

---

The Euro's start in 50 days :-O just occurred to me I better book some leave, I almost forgot about the competition with everything that's been going on.
    edited April 2021 Posts: 6,778
    This Perez bloke is the Gordon Gekko of football :)) Despicable rhetoric.
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 7,500
    Most of these quotes from Perez are obviously ridiculous! It is a bit baffling that he thinks this kind of rhetotic would convince the greater footballing community that a closed shop tournament is a good idea for the sport. I find this failure a bit curious, as he is usually an expert strategist and "poker player" who usually achieves everything he wants. This time though his project failed spectacularly!

But I suppose it is partly reflective of Real Madrid's and, to a slightly lesser degree, Barcelona's stanse on this as well as the general reaction in Spain. There has been a backlash to the Super League idea also in Spain, but not nearly as volatile or unanimous as in England. There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly it is more or less accepted already that Barca and Real Madrid have financial powers the rest of the league can't aspire to, and almost all Spaniards support one of the two anyway. There is also a sense of entitlement at Real Madrid, and to a slightly lesser extent at Barca, that they deserve this priviliged position. I listen to a podcast on Spanish football made by English journalists living in Spain and one of them said all his Spanish friends who are Real Madrid supporters were more or less unanimously on board with the idea. There is another factor as well in that Spaniards are far mor hostile towards UEFA than the British. Real Madrid supporters for example have convinced themselves there is a conspiracy of sorts against them and a plan to break with UEFA for good is therefore easy to sell. Barca fans are also pissed off at UEFA after they were fined for using Catalan flags during European games a couple of years ago...

Barca's new president, Joan Laporta, had made a clause in the agreement his predecessor signed with the Super League which gave the Socios (club members) a chance to vote on the matter and the club a chance to break the contract without sanctions if the Socios voted against the idea. Whether this referendum will happen now, I don't know. But although I do think the members would have voted against joining the Super League, the fact that I am not certain tells you all you need to know about the matter...
    jobo wrote: »
    Most of these quotes from Perez are obviously ridiculous! It is a bit baffling that he thinks this kind of rhetotic would convince the greater footballing community that a closed shop tournament is a good idea for the sport. I find this failure a bit curious, as he is usually an expert strategist and "poker player" who usually achieves everything he wants. This time though his project failed spectacularly!

But I suppose it is partly reflective of Real Madrid's and, to a slightly lesser degree, Barcelona's stanse on this as well as the general reaction in Spain. There has been a backlash to the Super League idea also in Spain, but not nearly as volatile or unanimous as in England. There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly it is more or less accepted already that Barca and Real Madrid have financial powers the rest of the league can't aspire to, and almost all Spaniards support one of the two anyway. There is also a sense of entitlement at Real Madrid, and to a slightly lesser extent at Barca, that they deserve this priviliged position. I listen to a podcast on Spanish football made by English journalists living in Spain and one of them said all his Spanish friends who are Real Madrid supporters were more or less unanimously on board with the idea. There is another factor as well in that Spaniards are far mor hostile towards UEFA than the British. Real Madrid supporters for example have convinced themselves there is a conspiracy of sorts against them and a plan to break with UEFA for good is therefore easy to sell. Barca fans are also pissed off at UEFA after they were fined for using Catalan flags during European games a couple of years ago...

Barca's new president, Joan Laporta, had made a clause in the agreement his predecessor signed with the Super League which gave the Socios (club members) a chance to vote on the matter and the club a chance to break the contract without sanctions if the Socios voted against the idea. Whether this referendum will happen now, I don't know. But although I do think the members would have voted against joining the Super League, the fact that I am not certain tells you all you need to know about the matter...

Still though, you'd expect that team such as Sevilla, Valencia or Bilbao have a very strong fanbase as well and they wouldn't have been happy either.

It just baffles me how Perez turns things around. First they buy all the good players with money they don't have and when they are in too much in debt because of it, they want to exclude clubs that are healthy because they didn't buy the two best players in the world on each position, making them less competitive.

What rubs me even more the wrong way is that he seems to think he's actually right. Or Real Madrid is closer to bankruptcy than we might think...
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 7,500

Still though, you'd expect that team such as Sevilla, Valencia or Bilbao have a very strong fanbase as well and they wouldn't have been happy either.

It just baffles me how Perez turns things around. First they buy all the good players with money they don't have and when they are in too much in debt because of it, they want to exclude clubs that are healthy because they didn't buy the two best players in the world on each position, making them less competitive.

What rubs me even more the wrong way is that he seems to think he's actually right. Or Real Madrid is closer to bankruptcy than we might think...

Yes, the fanbase of said teams were obviously angry. But then you have to question the intent: Was the anger based on a moral, ethical standpoint, or were they angry because they were losing out? Ten-fifteen years ago, the obvious candidates for the third spot together with Barca and RM would have been Valencia followed by Sevilla. Atletico wouldn't have been in the conversation at all...

I agree that Perez' point is hypocritical to say the least. But the reality is that many Real Madrid fans are quite arrogant and feel entitled to priviliges based on their succesful history. They see it somewhat as a natural world order if you like. Sadly I have to admit this is the case with many Barcafans as well...

Yes, the fanbase of said teams were obviously angry. But then you have to question the intent: Was the anger based on a moral, ethical standpoint, or were they angry because they were losing out? Ten-fifteen years ago, the obvious candidates for the third spot together with Barca and RM would have been Valencia followed by Sevilla. Atletico wouldn't have been in the conversation at all...

I agree that Perez' point is hypocritical to say the least. But the reality is that many Real Madrid fans are quite arrogant and feel entitled to priviliges based on their succesful history. They see it somewhat as a natural world order if you like. Sadly I have to admit this is the case with many Barcafans as well...

True, but in that case Low Country teams such as Ajax and Anderlecht should be considered as well. Maybe even Göteborg. Or what about Nottingham Forest, or Parma? I doubt if they'd agree though...

True, but in that case Low Country teams such as Ajax and Anderlecht should be considered as well. Maybe even Göteborg. Or what about Nottingham Forest, or Parma? I doubt if they'd agree though...

I'll make a case for my beloved Rosenborg! :P ;))

But you are obviously right. There are many teams both in and outside the top leagues that have at various points been powerhouses in European football. Yet they have to accept falling behind a team like Tottenham in the pecking order. It's frankly absurd...
    edited April 2021 Posts: 6,778

I'll make a case for my beloved Rosenborg! :P ;))

You would do a great job ;)

Here are some more former greats that I'd suggest:

Sampdoria
    Lazio
    Roma
    Napoli
    Torino
    Saint-Étienne
    Reims
    Monaco
    Valencia
    Sevilla
    Bilbao
    Sociedad
    Benfica
    Sporting
    Porto
    PSV
    Feyenoord
    Carl Zeiss Jena
    Magdeburg
    Red Star Belgrade
    Steaua Bucharest
    Dynamo Kiev
    Rapid Vienna
    Austria Vienna
    Malmö
    Panthinaikos
    Olympiacos
    Sparta Prague
    Slovan Bratislava
    Dinamo Tbilisi
    ... poor old Schalke 04.

You could go on and on, of course. So many former greats are struggling and it angers me a bit that those 12 teams feel entitled to their priviliges while so many others were equally impressive, but at the wrong moment in time, it seems.

• DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Perez is the most entitled and arrogant owner in history. The six English clubs who have now backed out should be fined and docked minus 20 points next season to allow the rest of the EPL a fair head start.
    @Torgeirtrap and @GadgetMan

Ray Parlour has a go at AFTV.

He needs to stop talking.

These so called big teams playing each other weekly will get dull quick, it means something when these teams cross paths years down the line renewing an old rivalry i.e. Man United v Bayern.

It means something when West Brom beat Chelsea in a high stakes game, that's the beauty of the game right there.

---

The Euro's start in 50 days :-O just occurred to me I better book some leave, I almost forgot about the competition with everything that's been going on.

Haha, yes! The best response (among many) to those comments by Perez, was this one from Gunnerblog on Twitter:

@Torgeirtrap and @GadgetMan

Ray Parlour has a go at AFTV.

Don't have the full context here, but there's no doubt AFTV as a channel do much better when the team loses. And it's a shame that that channel is presented as the voice of the regular Arsenal fan when things go bad.
    Hundreds maybe over a thousand outside Emirates protesting...

I wonder if Perez thinks this was a set up lol