Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

talos7 wrote: »
    One thing we know is that Hoult will age. Whether he will acquire that harder edge... that's another matter. He's got a sensitive face rather than rugged good-looks, but I do think if he doesn't get the role now, in five to ten years time we might well be seeing him in tougher roles and complaining that he was the one that got away. I remember similar discussions about Cillian Murphy on the internet way back in the early days of Craig's tenure - people said he just didn't have the toughness, and was kind of creepy - then he made his mark in Peaky Blinders and people decided he could play tough after all.

For Bond you're not picking an actor for who he is right now, you're also thinking about who he'll be in the upcoming ten to fifteen years.

Absolutely, as I’ve said, you don’t need a traffic signal to be green when you’re blocks away; you need it green when it’s time to cross that intersection.

Now is not the time for the next Bond .

Well said.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    One thing we know is that Hoult will age. Whether he will acquire that harder edge... that's another matter. He's got a sensitive face rather than rugged good-looks, but I do think if he doesn't get the role now, in five to ten years time we might well be seeing him in tougher roles and complaining that he was the one that got away. I remember similar discussions about Cillian Murphy on the internet way back in the early days of Craig's tenure - people said he just didn't have the toughness, and was kind of creepy - then he made his mark in Peaky Blinders and people decided he could play tough after all.

For Bond you're not picking an actor for who he is right now, you're also thinking about who he'll be in the upcoming ten to fifteen years.

Absolutely, as I’ve said, you don’t need a traffic signal to be green when you’re blocks away; you need it green when it’s time to cross that intersection.

Well said.

Indeed, and it should realistically be an end to all discussion on this subject matter for quite some time. Of course that won't happen but one can dream...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Well said.

Indeed, and it should realistically be an end to all discussion on this subject matter for quite some time. Of course that won't happen but one can dream...
    Mate, you're the right age to play Bond.

Discuss.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    QBranch wrote: »

Well said.

Discuss.

I'd watch that.

Well said.

Discuss.

The right age perhaps (36) but not the right look! ;)
    edited April 2021 Posts: 13,879

Well said.

Discuss.

Yes, it's the eyes. They have that crazy look.

41b31872aeb4694797e1f4b91802bd66.jpg
    edited April 2021 Posts: 17,728

Well said.

Discuss.

Yes, it's the eyes. They have that crazy look.

Yes, I see your point. He does look a little Bondian too though I've heard him described by I think @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 as an alternate reality Blofeld which is actually closer to his origins as a Dr Nikola type character called Loke Klingsor. Unsurprisingly, given his eyes, he was a mesmerist. In fact the 1927 German novel (or "roman") by Robert Kraft he appeared in was called Loke Klingsor: The Man with the Devils Eyes. My avatar is the image on the front cover.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited April 2021 Posts: 7,889
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I think it could work, @talos7.
    I think it could work, @talos7.

Yes, he's very like Roger Moore. 👍
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Oh, lovely. :))
    I'd watch that.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Ludovico wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    It's all about timing. If Dalton had stayed a bit longer, we might have gotten Clive Owen. So some wonderful 30ish actor is right at this moment missing out on the chance of a lifetime!

I never understood what people see in Clive Owen. Be that as it may and my skepticism notwithstanding, wasn't he a name often mentioned in public, but not seriously considered by Eon?

I think it was media and fan speculation mostly. Similar to Aidan Turner or Idris Elba now. I don't believe Owen ever auditioned for the part. I remember thinking at the time he might have been a stronger candidate than many of the other names tossed around who possibly did audition: the guy from the new Hawaii 5-O, the guy from Nip/Tick, etc
    I almost believe his films at the time: CLOSER, SIN CITY, DERAILED may have gotten a little extra audience attention due to his Bond hype. I certainly saw SIN CITY to see what he might be like.

I believe Croupier led to the Bond speculation.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    mtm wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Whoever is given the part, they need to have the gravitas of being believable as a Royal Navy Commander.

Whether this is a part of his history now or not I don't know, but if they keep the same background as Craig's incarnation, then he needs to have been a serving SBS officer too. I am guessing Craig's Bond was both (I think SBS teams are led by either RN Commanders or Marines from what I remember reading).

You can be relatively young and do this (early thirties I think if you work hard and talented - so Bond would fit the mark), but you do need that gravitas.

Something to remember when thinking of casting. It can't just be someone who is British and handsome.

Couldn't agree more with this, well said mate
    It's one thing I think people always forget about when they suggest potential candidates. That and the actors voice, Bond should always have a commanding voice to match his presence

Yes, voice is very important. Good point.

And to be honest, on both points I think Brosnan falls down! :) I don't buy him as a military man at all (certainly not a special forces type), plus his voice isn't really his strong point. I don't dislike him in the role though so I think there's an awful lot that a bit of straightforward movie star charisma can just make up for, but I do agree that I prefer someone who does have those aspects, like Craig or Connery (plus the charisma of course!).

I don't understand how PB's voice doesn't stand up. His voice as an actor is distinctive and he uses it very well. Now if you're saying his voice doesn't suggest he was a Commander in the Navy, well, we're now entering the realm of the ridiculous.

I think Bond is similar to Lawrence of Arabia; an outsider who doesn't seem to fit in.
    eb6f96_5a08206a972c4e74b9294c535ac93eea~mv2.jpg

If Bond were to initially appear somewhat unbelievable as having been in the Navy and Commando's, I don't think it's too much of a problem because it fulfil's that outsider quality and also helps him to blend in as a spy.

As much as I love Craig's interpretation and the change he helped bring to the franchise, I don't think its necessary for Bond to be as close as possible to a real life agent. The main thing is that he can get by on his wit and be the ruthless man of action when he needs to be- and that we believe him when he does.

I like all the Bond's for different reasons. Next time round I'd like to see a Bond who is a bit more positive, more extrovert, who smiles now and then. I think the charisma of the actor and their watchability may actually be far more important than if they tick the right boxes. Ticking boxes can be boring. I loved Craig's Bond at first, but since Skyfall I find him pretty boring. He seems constantly depressed. Talking often even seems a challenge for him.

Let's be thankful for what Craig brought to the series, but after NTTD, let's leave him on a golden beach, alone, with a bottle of Blackwells. There, as he thinks of Vesper, he may drink himself into the grave he longs for.

To those of you who deride Brosnan- I don't understand you. You may think him too slight -possibly the least important fault- but what about all his positives?? I don't see how he himself could have been any better in the films he had. He worked his arse off and did a brilliant job. How lucky we would be to have an actor of Brosnan's calibre next time round. I hope those of you who dislike Brosnan aren't also the ones suggesting Nicholas Hoult or Jack Lowden. @-)
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Still amazed by all the suggestions on here.
    Not getting it with any of them!! Hoult?? You're joking? Way too babyish looking!
    If it wasnt for NTTD delay, I really would hope Craig comes back again, as I just dont rate any of the names mentioned!

Same here really. Though I wouldn't want Craig to do another. Ready for a fresh start.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Heh! I did the same myself this morning: mine was not the best :D

Oddly I got a spookily good result with the Alexander Skarsgard one: I guess our faces are similar shapes. Sad that I didn't match up with Rog though :)
    mtm wrote: »

Heh! I did the same myself this morning: mine was not the best :D

Oddly I got a spookily good result with the Alexander Skarsgard one: I guess our faces are similar shapes. Sad that I didn't match up with Rog though :)

Lol, I do not look like Roger Moore but we have a similar facial shape; I tried one with Craig’s Bond and the results were horrific.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2021 Posts: 5,834
    I thought I'd give it a go @talos7 haha :D
    https://imgur.com/2OAxZ4h
    Very nice! That looks great!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Way better than mine. It decided I'm boss eyed! :D
    edited April 2021 Posts: 17,728
    Denbigh wrote: »

You look great there. I always thought you were female though! Thought you told me that once. Seems I was mistaken!
    Just don't call him C!
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

Well said.

We probably won't know what to do the moment we get a very serious leak about screentests let alone an actor is announced. There should probably be a separate thread discussing the actual casting so that this can stay the glorious cesspool of uninformed speculation and fabrication about our personal wishes that it is now.
    Genuinely can't wait to get into scouting British child actors for Bond actor #8 and pulling every promotional shot of Hoult in a tuxedo after he didn't get the role, shouting about how he was the better choice. It's going to be fantastic.
    Well , once NTTD is released, the speculation will really heat up. I know some expect another long hiatus but I feel that the powers that be will want to move ahead with the next incarnation with a more modest gap. I predict 3 to 5 years.
    What should the next candidate be like? Half monk, half hitman?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

You look great there. I always thought you were female though! Thought you told me that once. Seems I was mistaken!
    No not me. Although maybe that means I could be a Bond girl also haha :D

No not me. Although maybe that means I could be a Bond girl also haha :D

Ah, I see. I remember asking you once in a PM but I must've gotten my wires crossed! I remember being surprised as I'd always thought you were male up to then. It seems I was right all along then! 😀
    edited April 2021 Posts: 7,889
    Absolutely a strong contender... Yes, even without the facial hair.

He will be even more suitable in 3 to 5 years.

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

This guy will have a baby face until he's 80, no thanks.
    Don't see it...

This guy will have a baby face until he's 80, no thanks.

He'd be perfect for a gangster film then... ;)