Harry Palmer returns

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes Hollander is a lovely bit of casting.

I know what you mean; I'm cautiously optimistic about it but there's no names involved with the production side of it which make me actually confident it'll be good, but I'm hopeful!
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I saw John Hodge as the writer and thought "Shallow Grave!"

Then I remembered all the other crap he's written. It could go either way.
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 440
    posted in error
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 440
    828dfdf1-81a6-11eb-bffb-e2c24242ffa3
    Tom Hollander as Dalby in The Ipcress File (Altitude TV/ITV)

828dfdf2-81a6-11eb-bc6d-fe76b49a5f7b
    Lucy Boynton as Jean in The Ipcress File. (Altitude TV/ITV)

828dfdf0-81a6-11eb-bf9e-ee43c31ced03
    Joe Cole as Harry Palmer in The Ipcress File. (Altitude TV/ITV)

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/joe-cole-harry-palmer-itv-ipcress-files-142848148.html
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    To celebrate Michael Caines birthday tomorrow, Sony Movies Classic UK channel 51, are showing a number of his films including...

@ 2:00pm Midnight in Saint Petersburg (1995)
    @ 5:00pm Bullet to Beijing (1995)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Which seems to slightly contradict the 'classic' in their name, but never mind! :)
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 17,241
    Love these photos. We can only hope the final product is just as good.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mtm wrote: »
    Which seems to slightly contradict the 'classic' in their name, but never mind! :)

I think the word classic is often misused, in Sony Movie Classic case here they are probably just showing the films they have in there library.
    The Ipcress Files is one of my favourite films!
    They have a lot to live up to, to match the quality if it! Can't imagine anyone but Caine as Palmer...but I shall certainly give a it a watch!
    Looking at those photos of Cole, I'm getting more of an early Elvis Costello vibe than Harry Palmer!!!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I bought Ipcress File on Blu Ray in the Network sale the week before last (together with a Blu Ray of the 60s Bond knockoff 'Deadlier Than The Male'), but due to some weird malfunction which affected quite a lot of people who bought stuff in their sale, they sent me two copies of both!
  • To celebrate Michael Caines birthday tomorrow, Sony Movies Classic UK channel 51, are showing a number of his films including...

@ 2:00pm Midnight in Saint Petersburg (1995)
    @ 5:00pm Bullet to Beijing (1995)

Not that I love these movies, but hopefully, their airing means that HD archive masters exist somewhere.
    edited March 2021 Posts: 686
    I bought Ipcress File on Blu Ray in the Network sale the week before last (together with a Blu Ray of the 60s Bond knockoff 'Deadlier Than The Male'), but due to some weird malfunction which affected quite a lot of people who bought stuff in their sale, they sent me two copies of both!

I guess you could give them away as Christmas presents.

The Ipcress File Blu-ray is so much better quality than the DVD I had previously. Mystifying to me that Funeral in Berlin isn't out on Blu, I had to make do buying a digital copy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think there is a Funeral Blu but you have to import it. I've been meaning to get it because it's my favourite.
    I think there is a Funeral Blu but you have to import it. I've been meaning to get it because it's my favourite.

Yes, there is. Not the best image quality though, it seems.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    That would be great @Torgeirtrap imagine Arnold recreating tracks like Alone in Three-Quarter Time and A Man Alone(1), (2) and (3) from Barry's magnificent The Ipcress File score :D
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    That would be great @Torgeirtrap imagine Arnold recreating tracks like Alone in Three-Quarter Time and A Man Alone(1), (2) and (3) from Barry's magnificent The Ipcress File score :D

Indeed! Arnold would have no problems delivering a modern take on those tracks.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Arguably his (and Michael Price's) Sherlock theme could be said to lean slightly towards the Ipcress theme (as well as Zimmer's Holmes music as well of course :) ) so I'd be happy to see him do it. I expect they've already got someone though.

Exactly! Arnold would do it with glee, because it's Barry.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Probably true, and calling the hero 'Harry Palmer' and putting him in glasses shows they don't mind the association with the movie so my guess would be that they'd like to use the theme. It probably comes down to money though, licensing music like that can be pricey I think.
    I remember when Doctor Who came back it was apparently up in the air as to whether they'd be able to use their own theme!
    Arguably his (and Michael Price's) Sherlock theme could be said to lean slightly towards the Ipcress theme (as well as Zimmer's Holmes music as well of course :) ) so I'd be happy to see him do it. I expect they've already got someone though.

Yeah. There are subtle Zimmer's Sherlock Holmes and Barry's Ipcress file DNA in Arnold and Price's Sherlock theme.
    Yeah, I hope Arnold does it. But like you said, maybe they already have a composer, I hope it's Arnold though :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I hope so, he'd do a good job.

Probably true, and calling the hero 'Harry Palmer' and putting him in glasses shows they don't mind the association with the movie so my guess would be that they'd like to use the theme. It probably comes down to money though, licensing music like that can be pricey I think.
    I remember when Doctor Who came back it was apparently up in the air as to whether they'd be able to use their own theme!

Yeah. My sentiments exactly.

Yes!

Good point! And yes, I imagine they got a name attached to the project. I would also be very happy to see Daniel Pemberton do it. His soundtrack for The Game is a bit Ipcress/Barry-esque.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes!

Good point! And yes, I imagine they got a name attached to the project. I would also be very happy to see Daniel Pemberton do it. His soundtrack for The Game is a bit Ipcress/Barry-esque.

Check out his theme to Dirk Gently too: very much in that ballpark!

Indeed @mtm it's certainly of that ilk :) I enjoyed it. There's a certain euphoric feel to it as well. I think Pemberton is very comfortable with sounds like this, as shown in Enola Holmes. He can be minimalistic, yet effective.

Yes!

Check out his theme to Dirk Gently too: very much in that ballpark!

Forgot about that one! Very much in the same ballpark for sure.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Indeed @mtm it's certainly of that ilk :) I enjoyed it. There's a certain euphoric feel to it as well.

Yes certainly: it's a bit more silly, because the show is quite a silly one! :) Shame they didn't make more.

It was actually the same year as the first series of Sherlock I think, and it was noticeable how the themes kind of echoed each other (and were both BBC series about unconventional detectives with big hair!).
    I rewatched The Ipcress File again the other night. Everything about it is great - the camerawork, the soundtrack, the performances, the script... it all works so well. I think it's my favourite spy movie of all time.

I then listened to the commentary for the first time, and wow, I had no idea there was such friction between the director and Saltzman. Furie was never asked back to film the other Harry Palmer films despite what a fantastic job he made of Ipcress.