I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I believe to add to the list, Connery sort of straightens his tie when Quarrel and Puss-Feller confront him in DN or maybe just touches it as he plots his move. Close enough.

He touches it before the fight and straightens it afterwards.
    dr_no3_s.jpg

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    This may be a well know fact to some but I only discovered the other day that in
    YOLT, Donald Pleasence as Blofeld never blinked on screen.
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 2,436
    Ludovico wrote: »
    The straightening of the tie I thought was a Brosnan gimmick, but it's actually Fleming. In goldfinger, bond does so after killing the Mexican and putting his body in the shadows. "bond picked up the body and laid it against the wall in deeper shadow. He brushed his hands down his clothes, felt to see if his tie was straight and went on to his hotel".

In the films, I think we first see it in FRWL, after the train fight? I seem to remember that Connery does it in TB as well. Moore does it, too. I doubt Brosnan has it from Fleming, but I could be wrong.

I think we remember Brosnan's more because it happens after such big action sequence.

It's more memorable because it's doing a deliberate thing - a humorous understatement after destruction with the tank chase and the same again with underwater in TWINE - even underwater in the midst of a boat chase he makes sure he looks impeccably dressed.

This understatemnt aspect was copied by Craig and his cufflinks in Skyfall after just 'changing carriages'
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,948
    Yes, it's a nice (if fairly broad) comedic touch in GE but the TWINE one is a bit too cartoonish for me. I think I probably prefer Craig's version as it's a bit more understated but still funny.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I wonder if the TWINE version was written around the tie straightening. Or if it was an improvisation from Brosnan. I seem to recall that Pierce came up with it when shooting the scene???
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,948
    I guess it depends whether they always planned that underwater shot of him or not: because you'd imagine that would have been done in the tank at Pinewood, would have taken quite a lot of setup etc. Because it looks like the shot is there for that gag of him doing the tie thing, and if it was it seems like it couldn't have been an improvisation.

I guess, playing it through in my head, that sequence probably would have needed a shot of him underwater either way otherwise he'd have vanished offscreen and we wouldn't be following him anymore; so he may well have suggested it on the day they shot it.
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,875
    If it wasn't scripted, but the shot was slated. One wonders what Pierce was expected to do in the underwater shot if not straighten his tie.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Benny wrote: »
    One wonders what Pierce was expected to do in the underwater shot if not straighten his tie.
    I believe, originally, while underwater, Brozza was to catch a salmon in his mouth. And then, upon returning to MI6, present it to Charles Robinson. I may be wrong there.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mtm wrote: »
    I guess it depends whether they always planned that underwater shot of him or not: because you'd imagine that would have been done in the tank at Pinewood, would have taken quite a lot of setup etc. Because it looks like the shot is there for that gag of him doing the tie thing, and if it was it seems like it couldn't have been an improvisation.

I guess, playing it through in my head, that sequence probably would have needed a shot of him underwater either way otherwise he'd have vanished offscreen and we wouldn't be following him anymore; so he may well have suggested it on the day they shot it.
    There is an alternate underwater shot in which Bond simply dives underneath without straightening his tie. It can be seen in the extended cut of the boat chase.
    I didn't know that @jake24 , I'll have to dig out my TWINE dvd. I think it works well as seen. I recall it got a good laugh at the cinema.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I didn't know that @jake24 , I'll have to dig out my TWINE dvd. I think it works well as seen. I recall it got a good laugh at the cinema.
    Here it is at 3:38:

When he popped up again, He could have been throwing away an old shopping trolley
    caught on the boat. :D
    I think the scene as shot is better than the deleted scene.
  • cwl007cwl007 England

QBranch wrote: »
    One wonders what Pierce was expected to do in the underwater shot if not straighten his tie.
    I believe, originally, while underwater, Brozza was to catch a salmon in his mouth. And then, upon returning to MI6, present it to Charles Robinson. I may be wrong there.

😅 Although as the chase took place on the Thames he was more likely to catch something else in his mouth rather than a Salmon!
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I prefer the GE tie fiddle of the 2 Brosnan ones. It is a little more understated and naturally humorous.
    For me the TWINE is a little more forced and looking for a laugh from the audience. Even the score knowingly delivers it.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I can see why they didn't use the extended version, but agree that the tie works better in GE
    Broz should've spun the tie underwater and use it as a propeller.
    So long as it's a Royal Navy tie ;)
    Aye!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Which I think only Roger has worn...? Prize of a biscuit to anyone who knows in which movie (without looking it up!) :)
    Is it part of his arriving in JFK airport outfit, from LALD ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Hooray!

As promised:
    hill-custard-creams-150g-x-12-clear-foodservice.jpg
    " I'll wear it so you know me next time " :D
    "And now we know what C stands for."
    Connoisseur ? ;)
    I'm not a fashionable guy and know nothing about Men's fashion or style but I think
    Moore looked fantastic in that outfit the overcoat was so well cut.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    In SF, M writes Bond's obituary. I have always wondered: What for and why?

James Bond is a Navy officer, a commander, but obituaries are published when people die that were known to some extent to the public. Since Bond is meant to be a secret agent, would he not be recognized instantly by his adversaries if he was a public figure, rather than, say, an executive from Universal Exports. He never wears a disguise, so people are likely to recognize him.

Another thought: If he was known in the public, then in what context? Did he have achievements as an officer, or was he known as an occasional playboy or gambler who made the headlines from time to time, as would make sense for Sean Connery's Bond? Craig's Bond does not seem to be the guy whose actions get covered by gossip magazines.

What are your thoughts, e.g. does the book-Bond stand in the limelight?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Anyone can get an obituary in the paper, as long as someone writes it and someone pays for it.
    The prop department also made a newspaper clipping which repeats word-for-word the full obituary, as well as a death certificate.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Just noticed, in the opening credits, that Roger Spottiswoode worked on the 1972 Steve McQueen film The Getaway.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Just noticed, in the opening credits, that Roger Spottiswoode worked on the 1972 Steve McQueen film The Getaway.

Yes, he was an editor before being a Director. He is also credited as one of the scriptwriters of Walter Hill '48Hrs'!