No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• Keep going, @JoshBaker007, keep going!
    Thanks man, I will ✌
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I like it, nice and clean. But did they CGI Leo?

I didn't spot that. Oh that's a bit silly.
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes, maybe. Someone needs to make a new one of those mockups! :)

It'd be nice to see the UA logo before the gunbarrel again, just for old time's sake!

done and done

Nice work! :D
    Very nice - I guess the original Leo would have even filmed back in the c1940s. It’s quite grainy. They’re never going to film a real live lion now, but will need it for 4K so cgi is the only way really.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Can they not film a lion now? Apparently the last one was filmed in '57, and it looks like (without actually checking side-by-side) they've matched that version's movements which is I guess why they've CG-ed him.
    Still miss the main James Bond guitar rift for the gun barrel.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited March 2021 Posts: 539
    delfloria wrote: »

Yes, I'm not keen on the music playing over the logos either.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Oh I like the music drifting in over the logos, I think that’s a nice gentle buildup to that big fanfare. But I’m with delfloria on the guitar riff, it’d be nice to have that there. I do quite hope they keep Craig’s gunbarrel from Spectre, I think it’s a good one.
  • Matt007 wrote: »
    Very nice - I guess the original Leo would have even filmed back in the c1940s. It’s quite grainy. They’re never going to film a real live lion now, but will need it for 4K so cgi is the only way really.

I assumed theyd AI'd the footage to be in even more HD than it was previously- I thought that's why Leo looked so smooth- but if it is CGI theyve done a really good job imo
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Matt007 wrote: »

I assumed theyd AI'd the footage to be in even more HD than it was previously- I thought that's why Leo looked so smooth- but if it is CGI theyve done a really good job imo

I was reading that apparently they’d CG-ed his mane and ears for Quantum of Solace when they made a new version then(!). I certainly can’t spot it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    delfloria wrote: »

Yes, I'm not keen on the music playing over the logos either.

It was a nice touch for SP, but I'd rather it didn't become a regular thing. I like the sudden blast of music - it's like a shock to the system.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    There’s a small chance we are being misled by the gunbarrel music from the soundtrack. I think it’s possible they’re going for a cold open into the Norway scene, followed by the gunbarrel after that, opening up on Matera. For some reason I think the fanfare will still be played over the Universal logo as a tease of sorts but the music will come to a halt once the scene begins, then resume when the gunbarrel starts.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @jake24 I am fully onboard with your theory and I think that is what we will get. I think we will have.

- Open straight into Norway
    - MGM and Universal Logo
    - Gunbarrel
    - Matera
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Mallory wrote: »
    @jake24 I am fully onboard with your theory and I think that is what we will get. I think we will have.

- MGM and Universal Logo
    - Gunbarrel
    - Matera
    I would reverse Norway with the logos, but we’ll know for sure soon enough.
    jake24 wrote: »

- MGM and Universal Logo
    - Gunbarrel
    - Matera

I think, for impact, straight in. Make the Norway section a prologue to the main film.

- MGM and Universal Logo
    - Gunbarrel
    - Matera

I think, for impact, straight in. Make the Norway section a prologue to the main film.
    That would be interesting. Definitely open to it.
  • fadetoblack7fadetoblack7 Chicago IL
    It would certainly add to the creepiness of the scene if it was before the logos.
    Just imagine. You’re sat there in the cinema, trailers finished, rating card shown, and that silent period and the black screen, waiting for the screen to light up. And BAM. Straight in. Tracking shot over the Ice lake and towards the cabin, trees rustling, a man in a coat pushing forward.... in we go!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,548

- MGM and Universal Logo
    - Gunbarrel
    - Matera

I am no longer convinced that the film will open in Norway. There was something in the way Simon Hayes described that shoot (in the Production Sound & Vision interview) that has made me think this way. I could be wrong. But whereas I was once 100% certain that the film begin there, on the frozen lake, I am at 50-50 now.
  • I'm not sure where the rumours of the cold open were sourced and the actual legitimacy of it, but I really hope that's the case. The Craig era began with a bit of a subversive opening with the B&W PTS sans gunbarrel and I think this would be a fitting way to end it.

I think it's really important for NTTD to subvert audience expectations and opening into a creepy, Bond-less miniature horror thriller before cutting to the logos and gunbarrel would be really jarring (in a good way) and set a unique tone and mystery out the gate.
    @battleshipgreygt

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/10/no-time-to-die-opening-scene-fukunaga-it-movie-1234592157/

However, with the opening scene, Fukunaga bucks tradition in every way: It’s slow-paced, visually arresting, subtitled with dialogue in French, and entirely Bond-free.”
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    @battleshipgreygt

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/10/no-time-to-die-opening-scene-fukunaga-it-movie-1234592157/

However, with the opening scene, Fukunaga bucks tradition in every way: It’s slow-paced, visually arresting, subtitled with dialogue in French, and entirely Bond-free.”

Hot damn! Thank you for this @Mallory !!!!! Not only does this solve some mysteries, it opens another can of worms.

But the article is wrong, right? As we all know, not every 007 film features 007 in the PTS. LALD did not. TMWTGG featured a wax statue of him. FRWL featured a man in his mask.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There’s a small chance we are being misled by the gunbarrel music from the soundtrack. I think it’s possible they’re going for a cold open into the Norway scene, followed by the gunbarrel after that, opening up on Matera. For some reason I think the fanfare will still be played over the Universal logo as a tease of sorts but the music will come to a halt once the scene begins, then resume when the gunbarrel starts.

Interesting! I’d be open to that, although a part of me does say “can’t we just have one normal one?” :D
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    They might muck around with the gunbarrel all they want - beginning, end, middle, whatever (although seriously please stop - it always works best at the start).

The one thing they won't do is play the Universal or MGM logo anywhere other the start - you're sorely misguided if you believe otherwise!
  • Mallory wrote: »
    @battleshipgreygt

Now that that's confirmed, we still don't know whether the Matera sequence precedes or follows the title sequence. If Matera immediately follows Norway, that would be a 20+ minute PTS!
  • I suppose a 20+ minute PTS could make sense for NTTD given the film will be the longest Bond film to date. I would be surprised if it didn’t include the Matera stuff given the title song seems to reference it heavily, and all that action seems to make more sense for a PTS than a first act. Also the titles seem the perfect place to separate a jump in time to Bond being retired in Jamaica.
    @battleshipgreygt

If Matera immediately follows Norway, that would be a 20+ minute PTS!

And that would make it the 3rd Bond-movie in a row, where the best part of the movie is in the PTS.
    @battleshipgreygt

Now that that's confirmed, we still don't know whether the Matera sequence precedes or follows the title sequence. If Matera immediately follows Norway, that would be a 20+ minute PTS!

The song wouldnt make much sense if it was before the Matera section, which I suspect the song heavily references, given that is was Eilish was given to work with.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    @battleshipgreygt

If Matera immediately follows Norway, that would be a 20+ minute PTS!

And that would make it the 3rd Bond-movie in a row, where the best part of the movie is in the PTS.

I dunno, I think the Cuba section could be a knockout.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah, considering the themes presented in (and the overall tone of) the title song, it would be a baffling choice to have the Matera sequence after it rather than before. I think it will be a 20 minute PTS.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @battleshipgreygt

The song wouldnt make much sense if it was before the Matera section, which I suspect the song heavily references, given that is was Eilish was given to work with.

Plus Matera is set some years before isn't it? (Isn't Craig's hair dyed a bit for those scenes? Did someone here spot that? I can't remember) So, like GoldenEye or DAD, the song seems a natural point to throw forward a few years.