No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited February 2021 Posts: 3,164
    matt_u wrote: »
    Do you guys think they’re making the right decision? I mean, releasing the film this year as planned? I mean, only from a box-office perspective obviously. I still have my doubts.

Based on vaccine timelines in much of the Western world (so North America, UK/Europe - and of course not to mention Asia/Pacific already being ready and open for ages), it'll be the first proper post vaccine release (with all adults having been offered one and it being just generally available), so if anything September/October is just the right moment, and by being among the first they get it out of the way. Remember that the schedule for the next year is going to be jam packed with films that have been previously delayed - almost three years worth of blockbusters in one. Best to lead the way vs being lost in the shuffle.

And the numbers coming out of Asia/Pacific, China especially, are insane and showing that as soon as it's properly sorted and safe and the world really is into a new normal, people will want to go out.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 2021 Posts: 4,343
    antovolk wrote: »
    Do you guys think they’re making the right decision? I mean, releasing the film this year as planned? I mean, only from a box-office perspective obviously. I still have my doubts.

Based on vaccine timelines in much of the Western world (so North America, UK/Europe - and of course not to mention Asia/Pacific already being ready and open for ages), it'll be the first proper post vaccine release (with all adults having been offered one and it being just generally available), so if anything September/October is just the right moment, and by being among the first they get it out of the way. Remember that the schedule for the next year is going to be jam packed with films that have been previously delayed - almost three years worth of blockbusters in one. Best to lead the way vs being lost in the shuffle.

And the numbers coming out of Asia/Pacific, China especially, are insane and showing that as soon as it's properly sorted and safe and the world really is into a new normal, people will want to go out.

I admire you’re optimism. Unfortunately, the real mass vaccination campaign in the EU looks like it will take far longer than UK/US and that’s what worries me the most. Plus, being the first “post vaccine” release is still quite a gamble.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 3,164

I admire you’re optimism. Unfortunately, the real mass vaccination campaign in the EU looks like it will take far longer than UK/US and that’s what worries me the most. Plus, being the first “post vaccine” release is still quite a gamble.

If that ends up being the case by September I would genuinely not be surprised if the film is just specifically delayed in the continental EU, while UK and US and other countries stick. And even then I'd imagine cinemas would still be open with restrictions, just as they were last summer with Tenet, even if the vaccine hasn't been offered to everyone (which is what's gonna be happening here between May and September).

I genuinely think it all just comes down to being lost in the shuffle with everything else if it goes to 2022 - unless everything else big this autumn like Mission Impossible or Halloween or Spider-Man also goes to 2022. I get a lot of people are keeping hopes very low it sticks but until there's indication that autumn won't work (remember how Black Widow fled last November before NTTD did)...
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I don’t know. I know nothing about their business, their contracts, I know nothing about the internal discussions and the pressure they handled delaying the film. Honestly, I think a safe worldwide release date is what a film like NTTD needs, but with theaters in EU key markets likely suffering from restrictions that would expire by December/January (given how late we are compared to UK/US) they are risking a lot.
    Again, I don’t know their business etc etc, but boxoffice wise I’d choose to release the film April 2022 being certain that theaters will work without restrictions almost everywhere than being the first “””post vaccine””” release with such a lot of question marks just to release it 6 months in advance (especially after a 1.5 years delay).
    That’s what instinct tells me.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/entertainment/20210224/song-jamaican-artiste-used-no-time-die-teacha-dees-rastafari-way-gets

Seems as if No Time To Die has another song to add to its soundtrack. This to go along with the Dalida song, Dans La Ville Endormie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Only tangentially related, but it looks like they're driving the DB5 in the new series of Top Gear. Also they're recreating the Renault-in-half stunt from AVTAK! :)

• Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/entertainment/20210224/song-jamaican-artiste-used-no-time-die-teacha-dees-rastafari-way-gets

Seems as if No Time To Die has another song to add to its soundtrack. This to go along with the
    mtm wrote: »
    Only tangentially related, but it looks like they're driving the DB5 in the new series of Top Gear. Also they're recreating the Renault-in-half stunt from AVTAK! :)

Thanks for this heads up. Love the Top Gear/Grand Tour related Bond items. Clarkson drove the Valkyrie, then Vulcan, on Grand Tour and Hammond does a nice review of the Aston Martin DBS similar to Nomis in No Time To Die.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Bentley007 wrote: »

Seems as if No Time To Die has another song to add to its soundtrack. This to go along with the Dalida song, Dans La Ville Endormie.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2021 Posts: 4,548
    Nope, to be clear, this does *not* affect NTTD in any substantial way.

The film will still release in cinemas with a theatrical window of some sort (which may be as short as 30/45 days, based on the current reports for UK theatrical windows post-COVID). That decision lies solely with MGM/Universal/EON. After that point the film will be released on home entertainment (VOD, Blu-ray, DVD) - the new window arrangement for the UK which I bet will be replicated in the US too by MGM means almost definitely in time for Christmas.

Then, a few months after that, in the US, the film (in the same arrangement as other MGM titles before) heads to Epix in what's known as the "Pay 1 window", the first pay TV or SVOD availability of the film. And only then this new announcement comes in, for all of MGM's films including NTTD, Creed II, Ridley Scott's Gucci and other titles, they'll go onto Paramount+ 90 days after *that*. Some Paramount movies will be available on Epix (remember that's owned by MGM) and Paramount+ simultaneously from day 1 of that 'pay 1 window'.

Only the titles released by Paramount itself - and most specifically Mission Impossible 7, Quiet Place 2 and Paw Patrol - will be on Paramount+ 30/45 days after the first *theatrical* release.

I can't see EPIX existing for much longer in the wake of all this. It may be dead by the end of the year. If MGM is purchased, then its catalog of films go to the "highest bidder" and poof goes EPIX. And if I am reading things correctly, EON would then become free to strike new agreements with other studios. In other words, Amazon or Apple or whoever would own the streaming rights to the old catalog, but Paramount or Universal or whoever would have the newer Bond titles.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Contraband wrote: »

Awesome. So he didn t speak for nine hours. Made me laugh.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil

I thought we would have Boom Shot Dis on the soundtrack.
  • matt_u wrote: »

Based on nothing but gut feelings at this point, I'm leaning toward yes.

The COVID situation is resolving fairly well in USA, UK, and Asia - three key markets. The EU is still lagging, but that may yet turn around; regardless banking on the other three may still be enough to make a decent return in shaky times. And generally summers are a better time for transmission so I'd expect incidence to drop in the run-up to a September release even absent a vaccine.

Second, and it's been mentioned already, the recent box office figures out of China have been remarkable. If they're any indication, EON could be nailing the timing just right to take advantage of a truly historic amount of pent-up demand. How many people on this site talk about Bond movies as social experiences - bringing friends and family to see them in cinemas. It could be the right movie at the right moment.

They're trying to catch a falling knife here, but if it works out NTTD could be a home run.

I don't understand what the value of getting an English director would necessarily be.

Let us not forget that two of the most well-liked Bond films of all time were directed by a New Zealander.

Even in Bond's 1960s heyday, the star was a Scottish man reciting dialogue written by Americans.

New Zealand is part of the commonwealth of nations. Our siblings are akin to us.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Read and swipe

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Oh I listen to that pretty much every time I get in my car, @marketto007. Makes me feel great every time.

DC's films sure did have a lot of borrowed music, perhaps more so than at any time in the franchise's history.
    • QoS contained parts of "Tosca," as well as tunes from Jaime Cuadra.
    • SF included bits from The Animals "Boom Boom" and the French tune "Boum." There was also some Turkish music taken from "Konyali," which plays when Bond does a shot with a scorpion on his hand.
    • SP featured Vivaldi's "Cum Dederit," and snippets from several pieces of music, including "New York, New York."

Suffice to say, I like it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    TripAces wrote: »

DC's films sure did have a lot of borrowed music, perhaps more so than at any time in the franchise's history.
    • SF included bits from The Animals "Boom Boom" and the French tune "Boum." There was also some Turkish music taken from "Konyali," which plays when Bond does a shot with a scorpion on his hand.
    • SP featured Vivaldi's "Cum Dederit," and snippets from several pieces of music, including "New York, New York."

At least no "Beach Boys" ;)
    talos7 wrote: »

True.

And I must say, despite the flak DAD gets, Lee Tamahori did at least include The Clash's "London Calling" at the perfect moment.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 4,548
    talos7 wrote: »

True.

And I must say, despite the flak DAD gets, Lee Tamahori did at least include The Clash's "London Calling" at the perfect moment.

Addendum:

Wouldn't it be awesome if we see James Bond light up a joint, in his Jamaica house, with this Teacha Dee song playing on the speakers?????

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    No. Just say no.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Can we start like a Kickstarter for a fully licenced James Bond comedy with Craig. He clearly wants to and is capable of doing it.
    I get that Eon don't want to do it themselves, but if we scrounge together a few quid maybe we can do a direct to video thing.
    That's not a cigar. ;)

spl5084881-041-1557256670.jpg
    I was going to say, Bond should, in no way, do drugs but then again he did do drugs in the novels.
    delfloria wrote: »
    I was going to say, Bond should, in no way, do drugs but then again he did do drugs in the novels.

Alcohol is a drug, btw.

In any case, if he's gone to Jamaica to get away...you know he's gotta be smoking some ganja. LOL
    Bond should smoke weed.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Bond should smoke weed.

Well, Bond isn't squeaky clean when it comes to such things.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited February 2021 Posts: 8,000
    Bond adds Benzendrine into his drinks (champagne, coffee) that only manages to make him nearly reckless and wake up with hangovers. I'm not even sure I could survive his concoctions.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Bond adds Benzendrine into his drinks (champagne, coffee) that only manages to make him nearly reckless and wake up with hangovers. I'm not even sure I could survive his concoctions.

And yet he still manages to save the world and get the girl.
    Of course his substance use is only used in order to get the job done. It's not like he's pulling a note from his wallet, rolling it up and doing lines. Such usage works in the books only. To see it on film would be promoting the wrong idea. I guess the books appeal to a more adult audience.
    Getting off topic here now though.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited February 2021 Posts: 8,000
    Oh for sure. I think the most we've ever seen go nuts with his drinking was when he took six martinis in QOS. It's actually amazing he was able to speak coherently with only a slight slur.
    Agreed. I like the way the Benzedrine tablets are used to heighten senses etc in the novels. I don’t want to see bond rolling a massive spliff so he can kick back and watch netflix.

Alcohol is ok as it’s based on bonds taste and discerning palate. I wish they’d push that more tbh.