No Time to Die production thread (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Someone wrote: »
    Nomi has a scooter?

Interesting, haven't seen this before yet. Could it mean she appears in Cuba with it?

See my previous post..
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    We would all be happier if they just released this on streaming.

I would be happier having seen the film but understand that for the health of Bond it is better that it is not released straight to streaming without a serious partnership to replace MGM.

We agree on that. Selfishly, I'd love to watch it tonight. But from the looks of things the streaming model would be a massive loss of money for the franchise - and despite what some have said, you can't just "write off" 9-figure losses. People would really hurt over that kind of result, and EON and the fans would lose out in the long term.
    I've just decided for myself that I'm not going to get my hopes up for a release before 2022. 2021 isn't looking great, even November, and the 60th anniversary must be a tempting tie-in.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm not worrying too much about it, it's only a film and it'll come when it comes.
    Which isn't to say I'm insinuating that there's anything wrong with folks who want to see it more than I do: it's a thread about the film on a fansite, I totally get that.
    At this point I don’t even care anymore. I made peace with the notion of waiting indefinitely for seeing NTTD. Obviously I want to see it badly, but as a fan I also want NTTD to be successful commercially so, as I said last summer, if this mean waiting another year, I’ll wait. It’s their money, it’s their product, they know better than any of us.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe "I need a year off" Craig
    edited January 5 Posts: 7,293
    They'll probably hold off until 2022 at this point, unless mission impossible moves its date. The 60th anniversary is too alluring, and remember the last time they celebrated an anniversary with a new film it was a smash hit.
  • edited January 5 Posts: 337
    Just remember that the 60th anniversary isn't until October 2022!
    Be careful what you wish for.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    matt_u wrote: »
    At this point I don’t even care anymore. I made peace with the notion of waiting indefinitely for seeing NTTD. Obviously I want to see it badly, but as a fan I also want NTTD to be successful commercially so, as I said last summer, if this mean waiting another year, I’ll wait. It’s their money, it’s their product, they know better than any of us.

Yes I certainly disagree with people who want to tell them what to do and say we 'deserve' the film and all that stuff: it's very easy to tell someone else what to do with their hundreds of millions of dollars!

As you say, let them do what they think works for them, I'll give them my twenty quid at some point in some way.
    mtm wrote: »

Yes I certainly disagree with people who want to tell them what to do and say we 'deserve' the film and all that stuff: it's very easy to tell someone else what to do with their hundreds of millions of dollars!

As you say, let them do what they think works for them, I'll give them my twenty quid at some point in some way.

Agreed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Same here.
  • edited January 5 Posts: 2,361
    If M:I-7 keeps it's November slot would it be that much of a disaster if NTTD went up against it? Recent Bonds take more than the Mission Impossibles - a large number of the audience would go to both being similar types of films - surely a different proposition than releasing at the same time as say a Star Wars film.
  • edited January 5 Posts: 322
    If M:I-7 keeps it's November slot would it be that much of a disaster if NTTD went up against it? Recent Bonds take more than the Mission Impossibles - a large number of the audience would go to both being similar types of films - surely a different proposition than releasing at the same time as say a Star Wars film.

I think the argument against it is not that Bond won't be the winner, so much as it runs the risk of cannibalizing each other's very similar audiences in a very uncertain period for the market and thus, losing potential profits.

But even so, I agree with you that this is basically a non-issue as there's no reason why NTTD should necessarily move to November and likewise, no reason why MI:7 will stay there.

NTTD is a finished movie, after all, while MI:7 will still be filming until well into May and that's if it doesn't suffer any more production delays. It has a much greater chance of being moved to 2022 than NTTD does.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Are the schedules really so full that they can't be out at different times? Are they still making films at the same rate they were 18 months ago?
    Are the schedules really so full that they can't be out at different times? Are they still making films at the same rate they were 18 months ago?

Imo a mid/late October release for NTTD would work perfectly fine, in between Dune coming out October 1st and M:I7 November 19th, even tho Cruise has the best window for the US box office.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 5 Posts: 3,733
    Yesterday there showing some of standard footage from first trailer in a quize where the three people must give vijf ansers from what there see or known. First given and correct: James Bond, Uitgesteld (Delay) and Daniel Craig. The other two No Time To Die and 25 not be given. Billie Elish, 007, Shaken Not Stired, Astin Martin and Q be given. 1,9 million tv views this episode have and will be repeat.

Last episode of this season be on 13 or 20 January so be nice to see some promotion there.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I am thinking two scenarios:

1. Push back to late summer (August, perhaps)
    2. Streaming
  • Either way seems like it’s gonna be loss for them. But could MGM even survive 2021 without posting any sort of profits? I think they will eventually make a deal with some other company and do some sort of hybrid theater/streaming release this year.
    Either way seems like it’s gonna be loss for them. But could MGM even survive 2021 without posting any sort of profits? I think they will eventually make a deal with some other company and do some sort of hybrid theater/streaming release this year.

Didn't really work out for Wonder Woman though.

MGM is going under which is probably why they are desperate for a sale.

Once Bond 25 is released, theres going to be a lot of background reconfiguration before he returns.
  • Either way seems like it’s gonna be loss for them. But could MGM even survive 2021 without posting any sort of profits? I think they will eventually make a deal with some other company and do some sort of hybrid theater/streaming release this year.

Once Bond 25 is released, theres going to be a lot of background reconfiguration before he returns.

Then I guess MGM selling itself completely to a streaming service is more likely than a hybrid release?
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Either way seems like it’s gonna be loss for them. But could MGM even survive 2021 without posting any sort of profits? I think they will eventually make a deal with some other company and do some sort of hybrid theater/streaming release this year.

There's option B, and that is that MGM doesn't get bought by any major player in the media landscape like Apple, Disney or WB; but that some private investors (in the entertainment industry) buy stock and MGM survives, but with new management But like their previous bankruptcy in 2010, I agree that Bond probably will dive underground before a return. This time, there's more at stake however: the passing of the torch to a new Bond makes it even more complicated. If a party like Apple buys MGM, you bet they want to be around that negotiating table with EON.
    Yes, EON calls the shots creatively, but every party involved wants to push their view. Look at Sony boss Amy Pascal who wanted Idris Elba if Craig called it quits.

It all comes down to timing. The negotiations appear to be very early days, so I don't expect a major deal (like with Apple) to be struck before the end of this year, if we compare it to Disney's acquisition of Fox. With a bit of luck, NTTD releases as an MGM film in the States, before the company switches owners.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

There's option B, and that is that MGM doesn't get bought by any major player in the media landscape like Apple, Disney or WB; but that some private investors (in the entertainment industry) buy stock and MGM survives, but with new management But like their previous bankruptcy in 2010, I agree that Bond probably will dive underground before a return. This time, there's more at stake however: the passing of the torch to a new Bond makes it even more complicated. If a party like Apple buys MGM, you bet they want to be around that negotiating table with EON.
    Yes, EON calls the shots creatively, but every party involved wants to push their view. Look at Sony boss Amy Pascal who wanted Idris Elba if Craig called it quits.

It all comes down to timing. The negotiations appear to be very early days, so I don't expect a major deal (like with Apple) to be struck before the end of this year, if we compare it to Disney's acquisition of Fox. With a bit of luck, NTTD releases as an MGM film in the States, before the company switches owners.

Perhaps the behind the scenes styff is why they havent announced a further postponement. Maybe there is a scenario where they release in certain areas in Cinema and are negotiating with a buyer for the rest of the world to have a digital release. Would have to be an Apple or Netflix level streamer in this case as they offer multiple countries their content.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    The significance of the 60th Anniversary is way overblown. NTTD will arrive mid to late 2021. Announce the new Bond on James Bond Day 2022 for the 60th Anniversary.

no but there's just this backlog of delayed tentpoles....
    antovolk wrote: »

no but there's just this backlog of delayed tentpoles....

And it keeps getting bigger...
    If it comes out at 2022 I wonder if people would even remember Spectre and who Madelyn Jackson is. I hope they do a good job of reintroducing her.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    If it comes out at 2022 I wonder if people would even remember Spectre and who Madelyn Jackson is. I hope they do a good job of reintroducing her.

I don’t think people would have even remembered in April 2020. It’s a massive mistake of the film to try and be a sequel to Spectre.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 5 Posts: 4,022
    It looks to me like it will be a pretty standalone experience. Moreso than Quantum of Solace (at least all characters here are alive and accounted for). As long as they don't reference White.

For all intents and purposes it looks like they're basically ditching the stepbrother angle. We don't really need much of the backstory from Spectre.

And as for the Spectre woman, trust me, it won't matter that she's appeared in both. That's something for only the superfans.
  • Yeah I really don’t think there’s going to be an issue with continuity — at least this time the recurring characters are all played by the same actors unlike Blofeld and Leighter constantly getting wildly different performers. Even going back one film I don’t think Mr. White coming back for Spectre was too much continuity for audiences to swallow.
  • BondLLCLawyerBondLLCLawyer Here and there mate- owning an LLC takes you there and back.
    edited January 6 Posts: 10
    No one and I mean no one cares about the character of Madelaine, if they do, then like Hank Hill says that boy aint right! Big mistake to tie this into mythology. Barbara, EON? Where the hell is the movie. You no longer have any excuse as to why NTTD is not out there and being enjoyed. They really need to clean house at EON after this. They're finished. Would Cubby be smiling down upon you right now, Barbara? There could potentially be legal grounds for class action lawsuits down the road.
    Along these lines.................will NTTD start feeling dated by the time it releases if it contains too many current references or elements?