Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• I’d like to see Aidan Turner take on the role. He has a great “Dalton/Fleming” style look about him, and he’s still largely unknown as an actor. I would’ve said Cavil previously, but with Superman, he may be too big a presence. Same with Clive Owen.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I’d like to see Aidan Turner take on the role. He has a great “Dalton/Fleming” style look about him, and he’s still largely unknown as an actor. I would’ve said Cavil previously, but with Superman, he may be too big a presence. Same with Clive Owen.

Not a bad call.
    Wait...are we back to discussing actors who'd perhaps be fun to watch as Bond, or will w return to "My choices are the only good choices and anything else would be stupid and anyone who disagrees with me would be just as stupid" ??? I have found those posts set up the ones which are on-topic, as it makes them rather refreshing. Opinions with passion set the teeth to gnashin', suffer a bashin', but then, after a fashion, halp the on-point comments really to cash in....yeah, that sucked at the end, eh ?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Apologies to those who are opposed but seriously every time I see the guy I can't help but feel he'd be great as our next 007. This is a look at Callum Turner in the upcoming movie, The Last Letter from Your Lover.

EINEHANDVOLLWORTE_002.jpg
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Apologies to those who are opposed but seriously every time I see the guy I can't help but feel he'd be great as our next 007. This is a look at Callum Turner in the upcoming movie, The Last Letter from Your Lover.

Not seen him in anything but he has a bit of a George Lazenby look about him.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Maybe we can cast him in a proper YOLT follow up to OHMSS...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I'm getting it more and he does seem to be getting a decent amount of work, I guess I need to see him in some more things.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    mtm wrote: »
    I guess I need to see him in some more things.
    My fingers are crossed that he gets a bigger role in Fantastic Beasts 3.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 17,729

That would be nice, wouldn't it? That novel is crying out for a faithful film version to be made of it. To my kind it's one of Fleming’s best novels. It was long said to be unfilmable as far as the Eon Bonds were concerned but perhaps the Craig era has made people more accepting of a more diverse type of Bond film again? Here's hoping anyway!
    edited December 2020 Posts: 7,518

That would be nice, wouldn't it? That novel is crying out for a faithful film version to be made of it. To my kind it's one of Fleming’s best novels. It was long said to be unfilmable as far as the Eon Bonds were concerned but perhaps the Craig era has made people more accepting of a more diverse type of Bond film again? Here's hoping anyway!

There was just so much potential for bringing Draco back too. A scorned crime lord, father-in-law of Bond anti-hero? Two men bent on revenge, perhaps exploring different ways to obtain it? It could have been amazing. If you were to ask me which is my favourite Bond novel, it'd have to be YOLT. I think about it all the time.

I wonder who could be cast as a modern day Marc-Ange?
  • Dragonpol wrote: »

There was just so much potential for bringing Draco back too. A scorned crime lord, father-in-law of Bond anti-hero? Two men bent on revenge, perhaps exploring different ways to obtain it? It could have been amazing. If you were to ask me which is my favourite Bond novel, it'd have to be YOLT. I think about it all the time.

Most likely somebody of Italian heritage. I think the real interesting question would be; who would they cast as Blofeld and Bunt?

Most likely somebody of Italian heritage. I think the real interesting question would be; who would they cast as Blofeld and Bunt?

Might be a fun thread: Who would you cast in these roles in a modern YOLT followup to OHMSS?:
    Bond (Lazenby-esque):
    Tracy (Flashbacks):
    Draco:
    Bunt:
    Blofeld:

Maybe even Screenwriter / Director as well for those who know more about those things than I do.
  • Most likely somebody of Italian heritage. I think the real interesting question would be; who would they cast as Blofeld and Bunt?
    Or French considering the nationality of the character, I suppose.

Regarding Blofeld, it depends on which iteration of the character we are talking about: if this is to take inspiration from the character as played by Telly Savalas, Tom Hardy is the first name that would come to mind:
    5b6b19db190000140350168a.jpeg?ops=scalefit_630_noupscale

However, if the inspiration comes rather from the literary version of Blofeld seen in the OHMSS novel, with his silver hair, my choice would have been Daniel Day Lewis, if he had not retired.
    phantom_thread_2017_20_0.jpg?itok=0Lm84irf

As for Bunt, Tilda Swinton would be perfect for the part.
    Or French considering the nationality of the character, I suppose.

Regarding Blofeld, it depends on which iteration of the character we are talking about: if this is to take inspiration from the character as played by Telly Savalas, Tom Hardy is the first name that would come to mind:
    5b6b19db190000140350168a.jpeg?ops=scalefit_630_noupscale

However, if the inspiration comes rather from the literary version of Blofeld seen in the OHMSS novel, with his silver hair, my choice would have been Daniel Day Lewis, if he had not retired.
    phantom_thread_2017_20_0.jpg?itok=0Lm84irf

As for Bunt, Tilda Swinton would be perfect for the part.

Absolutely great suggestions, and I was thinking Tilda as well! D Day would make a brilliant literary Blofeld, but Hardy would work well because they could make him up to look a lot like Savalas did, and the reveal (as in the novel) that Shatterhand is Blofeld would be very satisfying.

Might be a fun thread: Who would you cast in these roles in a modern YOLT followup to OHMSS?:
    Bond (Lazenby-esque):
    Tracy (Flashbacks):
    Draco:
    Bunt:
    Blofeld:

Maybe even Screenwriter / Director as well for those who know more about those things than I do.

Bond; Callum Turner (stolen from earlier in the thread)
    Tracy; Emily Blunt perhaps?
    Draco; I’m completely stumped. If I was to be completely lazy, I’d say DeNiro.
    Blofeld; Christian Bale would be interesting
    Bunt; Cate Blanchett

Bond (Lazenby-esque):
    Tracy (Flashbacks):
    Draco:
    Bunt:
    Blofeld:

Bunt; Cate Blanchett

Bale seems like he'd be a left-field choice for something like this, but it's also so clear he could knock it out of the park. Blanchett is a nice call as well. Equally stumped about Draco! Ferzetti was perfect for the role. In a different world, maybe Giancarlo Giannini could have done it? Maybe Ray Abruzzo? Never seen him in anything but came up in a quick search:
    MV5BMDM0ZjNlYTAtM2VlYS00OGE1LTg0ZjUtYWEwZjVjMmRmNTc4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI2Mzg5MjI@._V1_.jpg
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 2,010

Bond (Lazenby-esque):
    Tracy (Flashbacks):
    Draco:
    Bunt:
    Blofeld:

Bunt; Cate Blanchett

Bale seems like he'd be a left-field choice for something like this, but it's also so clear he could knock it out of the park. Blanchett is a nice call as well. Equally stumped about Draco! Ferzetti was perfect for the role. In a different world, maybe Giancarlo Giannini could have done it? Maybe Ray Abruzzo? Never seen him in anything but came up in a quick search:
    MV5BMDM0ZjNlYTAtM2VlYS00OGE1LTg0ZjUtYWEwZjVjMmRmNTc4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI2Mzg5MjI@._V1_.jpg

For some reason it’s easy for me to picture Bale as Blofeld, way easier than seeing him as Bond. I think Bale would tap into the unhinged lunacy of the Blofeld in the YOLT novel, but could also picture him as the relaxed, subdued and mysterious Blofeld of FRWL/TB.

I agree it’s hard to picture anyone else but Ferzitti in the role. That was the genius of Peter Hunt, he knew what picks would be perfect for Majesty’s.

Yes, well Raymond Benson did that of course in his continuation Bond novel Never Dream of Dying (2001). His making Draco a villain out for revenge there was rather controversial with fans but Benson pointed out that Draco was still the head of a criminal organisation (the Union Corse) and that it would be natural that he would blame Bond for his daughter Tracy's death.

Yes, well Raymond Benson did that of course in his continuation Bond novel Never Dream of Dying (2001). His making Draco a villain out for revenge there was rather controversial with fans but Benson pointed out that Draco was still the head of a criminal organisation (the Union Corse) and that it would be natural that he would blame Bond for his daughter Tracy's death.

Oh, cool, I’ve not read that. I’ll have to get to it.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think we should ask Barbara who she has in mind.
    Go for it.

She’d tell you Daniel Craig.

Bond (Lazenby-esque):
    Tracy (Flashbacks):
    Draco:
    Bunt:
    Blofeld:

These are my choices under the circumstances as you mentioned here
    Bond (Lazenby-esque)-Ben Starr
    Tracy (Flashbacks): Eleanor Tomlinson
    Draco:Anotonio Banderas
    Bunt: Kathy Bates
    Blofeld: Anthony Carrigan
    Hah Bates is a good call, brilliant actor
    Go for it.

She’d tell you Daniel Craig.

They need to get a room. :P
  • Has anyone ever suggested Edward Holcroft? He is best known for his role as an antagonist and then a villain in the two Kingsman movies. He is 33 and still looks younger, an asset in view of the fact that Bond 26 would probably not go into production before a few years from now. Here are two photos, one from a few years ago where he is dressed in the Bondian way I may say, and another more recent.
    hqdefault.jpg
    816662-800w.jpg
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Has anyone ever suggested Edward Holcroft? He is best known for his role as an antagonist and then a villain in the two Kingsman movies. He is 33 and still looks younger, an asset in view of the fact that Bond 26 would probably not go into production before a few years from now. Here are two photos, one from a few years ago where he is dressed in the Bondian way I may say, and another more recent.
    hqdefault.jpg
    816662-800w.jpg

He has a good handsome face, manly. How it should be. Nice.
  • Has anyone ever suggested Edward Holcroft? He is best known for his role as an antagonist and then a villain in the two Kingsman movies. He is 33 and still looks younger, an asset in view of the fact that Bond 26 would probably not go into production before a few years from now. Here are two photos, one from a few years ago where he is dressed in the Bondian way I may say, and another more recent.
    hqdefault.jpg
    816662-800w.jpg

I haven’t seen the Kingsmen films...but I like the look of him. How impressive is he physically speaking?
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 890
    I haven’t seen the Kingsmen films...but I like the look of him. How impressive is he physically speaking?
    It's hard to say. He has his fair share of action scenes in the second Kingsman installment, but most of them rely heavily on CGI. So it is difficult to form an opinion. You can always try with this scene. Nevertheless, I think he deserves a screen test.

He could maybe do.
  • I haven’t seen the Kingsmen films...but I like the look of him. How impressive is he physically speaking?
    It's hard to say. He has his fair share of action scenes in the second Kingsman installment, but most of them rely heavily on CGI. So it is difficult to form an opinion. You can always try with this scene. Nevertheless, I think he deserves a screen test.

Well he’s got that wild look in his eyes, can’t say that CGI is impressive though. I actually like this choice, more than my (unoriginal) choice of Aiden Turner. I’m sure he’ll bulk up. If I correctly recall, it’s not like Daniel Craig was the biggest guy before he was cast as Bond, and look what happened when he was cast? He’s big enough to pop someone’s head off in between his biceps.