Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Has anyone mentioned Aidan Turner yet?
  • Has anyone mentioned Aidan Turner yet?

No, I don't think so. That lightweight, TV actor guy?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Again I really wish Christopher Abbott wasn't American :(

Possessor2.jpg
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    He looks so much like Kit Harington.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2020 Posts: 5,834
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I know right! No wonder I like them both haha, I just think (if Christopher was British) he could pull it off better than Kit. Plus Chris is taller. Maybe he could be a future Felix? :)
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I know right! No wonder I like them both haha, I just think (if Christopher was British) he could pull it off better than Kit. Plus Chris is taller. Maybe he could be a future Felix? :)

Yeah. Felix isn't a bad shout for him though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I imagine he could work as a Felix in the vein of Jack Lord but with that Jeffrey Wright edge.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I imagine he could work as a Felix in the vein of Jack Lord but with that Jeffrey Wright edge.

Aaaah! Jack Lord. That was the last time we had a 'Felix' who looked like an American Bond. Yeah, would be nice to go back to that. Although, as you say Wright has given the character so much edge. So I think the next actor would feel a bit of pressure playing him.

Quite right, that's not the one.

tumblr_o3hkf46cE61srpvwao2_500.gif
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Aaaah! Jack Lord. That was the last time we had a 'Felix' who looked like an American Bond. Yeah, would be nice to go back to that. Although, as you say Wright has given the character so much edge. So I think the next actor would feel a bit of pressure playing him.

It's too bad we only got Billy Magnussen now, and for a different role. He would have really evoked a Jack Lord Felix IMO. I do very much like Wright in the role though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2020 Posts: 5,834

It's too bad we only got Billy Magnussen now, and for a different role. He would have really evoked a Jack Lord Felix IMO. I do very much like Wright in the role though.
    Yeah I thought the same; but I'm sure Magnussen will give us those vibes with an extra new layer ;)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2020 Posts: 5,131

This looks Bondian.

@JeremyBondon what is this taken from please? I need to watch it.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think Sam Claflin is on EON's list.
    suavejmf wrote: »

This looks Bondian.

And Then There Were None, dear @suavejmf

tumblr_o3way0waTL1srpvwao5_r1_400.gif

This looks Bondian.

Thanks mate, I’ll watch it ASAP.

This looks Bondian.

Thought you already had watched it actually! You're in for a treat.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm amazed you don't know or haven't seen And Then There Were None: you've been posting of photos of him in it for months. Have you actually seen him in anything?

This looks Bondian.

Thought you already had watched it actually! You're in for a treat.

No, I’ve only seen him in ‘The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot’ and Poldark. In both I saw Bond potential.

So hopefully this will just add to that opinion.
    I thought he was superb in And Then There Were None. I should look at some of his other work.
  • Has anyone mentioned Aidan Turner yet?

Bond, James Bond. That's all that needs to be stated.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It’s gonna be interesting to see this page if he doesn’t get cast, and there’s a very high chance he won’t. Some broken hearts for sure
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    It’s gonna be interesting to see this page if he doesn’t get cast, and there’s a very high chance he won’t.
    I think the same about his chances of being the next Bond. If Bond 26 started filming soon with a 2022 release date, he would of course have been a very serious contender... But we know that's not the case and that the next installment won't be released until 2024 or 2025. Turner will be in his early 40s by this time. Turner will hardly have time to star in his third installment when he will already have reached his fifties.

Granted, we don't know what direction Eon will take for the next era, but I highly doubt that they will use the same narrative trope of the seasoned agent, especially if it is to introduce a new actor at a time when the franchise will need a fresh new boost.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    The thing with Aidan Turner for me, is that I think he can play a very good Ian Fleming in a biopic, but I'm not convinced (yet?) he's the right choice for our next Bond.
    He's indeed very good in And Then There Were None, including scenes where he lights a cigarette, sips his Scotch and stares moody into the distance. And I get that that image is very appealing to people who'd like their Bond more like Fleming wrote him. Think that cut scene of Dalton in LTK smoking and cleaning his gun, but moodier, more rugged.
    The (quote / unquote) problem I have with that is that we just had a Bond who brought a certain moodiness to the table, a grittiness, a loneliness. We're going to watch his 5th film (hopefully) soon. Make no mistake, I like Craig in the role, 2 of his films are in my top 5. But I'd like a bit of a change, a more jauntier type of Bond. A Bond that can get away with the quips, effortless. A Bond that sees his job as a joy, rather than a burden. Yes, I know, that's not who Fleming's Bond was/is. But I feel like the film franchise doesn't need to keep true to the Bond of the books all the time, he's allowed to be his own thing. And while Turner looks the part, I'm not sure he can get those quips out in a Moore-like way. Or even a Brosnan-like way.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    It’s gonna be interesting to see this page if he doesn’t get cast, and there’s a very high chance he won’t. Some broken hearts for sure

For me while I think he is the best choice he isn't the only choice. I'm even intrigued by some of then new names rarely mentioned like like Ben Starr and Tom Bateman. I think we have good candidates up and down the board from Henry Cavill to Jack Huston.
    Turner was quite good in ATTWN, that said... It's not like the role was THAT great. He plays an English stereotype in a whodunit.
  • No current actor has had a Layer Cake type role; one that makes you stand up and say, 'that guy has to be James Bond!!!'
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It's never going to happen, but Scott Adkins is still my #1.
    No current actor has had a Layer Cake type role; one that makes you stand up and say, 'that guy has to be James Bond!!!'

Never had that with Craig. I actually thought he should star as Putin in a legit Russian KGB film. Now THAT would be epic.
    Does anyone recall seeing Layer Cake back then, and, though finding it very entertaining, thinking: Daniel Craig should be James Bond ? Not saying a viewer of that film would think against it, but did it "jump out" to anyone at the time ? This question can only be honestly answered by folks who saw Layer Cake before DC was cast or even mentioned. Things like hair length and cut, style of the film, nature of the character portrayed all can lead a viewer away from observing and finding the actor role-appropriate.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I remember considering him a possible outsider based on his performance in Layer Cake, but honestly, I wouldn't have had him as the top choice.

I mean, I watched Our Friends in the North on the first run, and he would have been my fourth choice for Bond out of that cast, and that includes Gina McKee!

But as soon as he was cast you knew it meant that they were going to take it seriously because he was a serious actor, and that was pleasing to me at the time.

15 years later I don't feel quite so generous, but that's just me.