SKYFALL: Is this the best Bond film?

Comments

• Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited November 2020 Posts: 554
    I still don't understand why they (as in, the writers) didn't just leave M and Tanner unaware of Silva's incoming attack on the parliment. Having them aware of it in advance just makes Dench's M look even worse than she already does at this point in the film.

That was the point.
    Yes, but as much as I like SF, it's stupid. Really, really stupid, especially coming from the head of MI6. The other decisions she made throughout the film could be justified from M's POV. This one was just ludicrous.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I still don't understand why they (as in, the writers) didn't just leave M and Tanner unaware of Silva's incoming attack on the parliment. Having them aware of it in advance just makes Dench's M look even worse than she already does at this point in the film. You'd need to contrive an explanation for why MI6 can't get a message out, but it'd have been better than what we got.

Silva had been performing digital sorcery, much of requiring quite some suspension of disbelief, for the entire film up until that point; they could easily have explained it away by saying Silva created some no-comms bubble around MI6 while he was in there escaping.

I don't think the point of that scene was to make M look like a dumbass. Just to create some more tension.
    I still don't understand why they (as in, the writers) didn't just leave M and Tanner unaware of Silva's incoming attack on the parliment. Having them aware of it in advance just makes Dench's M look even worse than she already does at this point in the film. You'd need to contrive an explanation for why MI6 can't get a message out, but it'd have been better than what we got.

Silva had been performing digital sorcery, much of requiring quite some suspension of disbelief, for the entire film up until that point; they could easily have explained it away by saying Silva created some no-comms bubble around MI6 while he was in there escaping.

I don't think the point of that scene was to make M look like a dumbass. Just to create some more tension.
    I agree with you, it's just I think the same tension could've been achieved if the audience was aware of Silva before M was. 'the bomb under the table' and all that.

I agree with you, it's just I think the same tension could've been achieved if the audience was aware of Silva before M was. 'the bomb under the table' and all that.

I agree with you; the bolded part was in response to a different post.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Did they fully know that Silva was going to come straight for M?
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Did they fully know that Silva was going to come straight for M?

That’s what I was was wondering too; I think it’s heavily implied. “He’s coming for M. Get her out.” Or something like that.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I still don't understand why they (as in, the writers) didn't just leave M and Tanner unaware of Silva's incoming attack on the parliment. Having them aware of it in advance just makes Dench's M look even worse than she already does at this point in the film.

That was the point.
    Yes, but as much as I like SF, it's stupid. Really, really stupid, especially coming from the head of MI6. The other decisions she made throughout the film could be justified from M's POV. This one was just ludicrous.

No ones denying that it is ludicrous, the movie is explicitly aware of her bad decision making during that scene. This is why scenes later she’s saying “I f***ed this up, haven’t I?” It’s why she wanted to involve no one else during the climax because it’s a mess she’s willing to clean up even if it means giving her life.

Even Bond failing to save her from dying is part of the point. Of course, it’s not surprising Bond fans don’t want to see these characters fail at something, make poor decisions like any human being would. Well, I guess that’s what we have AVTAK for.

Funnily, this discussion is reminding me a lot of THE LAST JEDI, another movie where one of the heavy themes is about failure, and a bunch of fans hate the film because they don’t want to see characters failing at things.

That was the point.

No ones denying that it is ludicrous, the movie is explicitly aware of her bad decision making during that scene. This is why scenes later she’s saying “I f***ed this up, haven’t I?” It’s why she wanted to involve no one else during the climax because it’s a mess she’s willing to clean up even if it means giving her life.

Even Bond failing to save her from dying is part of the point. Of course, it’s not surprising Bond fans don’t want to see these characters fail at something, make poor decisions like any human being would. Well, I guess that’s what we have AVTAK for.

Funnily, this discussion is reminding me a lot of THE LAST JEDI, another movie where one of the heavy themes is about failure, and a bunch of fans hate the film because they don’t want to see characters failing at things.

Good point. The Bond in the novels or early films was never infallible. That was never the appeal of the character, just like he is no saint like superhero either. The Bond of the novels and early films repeatedly makes rash, reckless desicions, gets outsmarted, lets women, romance and pride get in the way of his profesionalism, gets captured or called out on numerous occations. His heroism lies in how he deals with the critical situations he has often created for himself.

If Bond is not infallible I am not sure why M should be, or why her making some errors make her or him less of an appealing character. James Bond is a modern spy series, not a cartoon for children...

That was the point.

Ah here, if I didn't ever want the characters to fail I would hate OHMSS, or CR, or criticise the myriad of other poor decisions in SF. My issue here is that I think staying at the inquiry goes beyond an understandable mistake that's in her character and verges into 'because the plot can't have her evacuate'. Again, the idea of the head of the service doing something as utterly insane as this is just a bridge too far compared to the rest of the film for me.

And I'm not even going to touch TLJ.
    It’s more for story than plot.
    There is no doubt that, given the forensic inspection of the plot, it is full of holes. (the whole building hosting the enquiry could have been locked down via one phone call, the Police at the reception desk seem to have no idea whats going on) but, of course, we need that to see Bond running, the poetry and then Bond rescuing M from the building. So three major scenes rely on that hole. Bottom line is, you either like it whilst you are watching it or you don't. All of these plot issues are there and always will be but I love the movie and always will.
    patb wrote: »
    There is no doubt that, given the forensic inspection of the plot, it is full of holes. (the whole building hosting the enquiry could have been locked down via one phone call, the Police at the reception desk seem to have no idea whats going on) but, of course, we need that to see Bond running, the poetry and then Bond rescuing M from the building. So three major scenes rely on that hole. Bottom line is, you either like it whilst you are watching it or you don't. All of these plot issues are there and always will be but I love the movie and always will.
    That's the struggle I have with this set of scenes; I love them outside of the foundation, and it really gets at me whenever I watch the film.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Also, I'm happy to sacrifice logic for the poem sequence; it was great, and still gives me chills when you hear M reading it over Bond running through London.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Also, I'm happy to sacrifice logic for the poem sequence; it was great, and still gives me chills when you hear Bond reading it over Bond running through London.

Yep. This to me is filmmaking. Sometimes you sacrifice a bit of bulletproof logic for storytelling. You want substance, but you also want a bit of goddamned style.
    See, this is where we differ. The insane logistical leap actively undercuts my enjoyment of the otherwise wonderful Tennyson speech.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 7,526
    It’s a bit of a catch 22 because without the leap in logic there would be no Tennyson speech you enjoy so much.
    For me, if I want perfect logic and everything happening the way it should, I’ll turn off films and go outside. Live life and all that. I watch film to feel. As Nolan says, “you don’t have to understand it; you just have to feel it.“

Go watch some CinemaSins; I highly recommend them, very enjoyable videos. But they prove you can pick apart the logic in any films, even those categorically decided to be great.
    Funnily enough, I dislike CinemaSins for various reasons.

Again, from my perspective, if the emotion is built on nonsense, I can't get completely invested in it. I think it would've been quite possible to rewrite the film so that the same events occurred in a more logical way. Furthermore, I'm of the mindset that looking at film criticism from the lense of "but how did it make you feel?!" above all else is far more reductive than trying to judge the writing from a more balanced view.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 8,025

Again, from my perspective, if the emotion is built on nonsense, I can't get completely invested in it. I think it would've been quite possible to rewrite the film so that the same events occurred in a more logical way. Furthermore, I'm of the mindset that looking at film criticism from the lense of "but how did it make you feel?!" above all else is far more reductive than trying to judge the writing from a more balanced view.

Then you pretty much constrict yourself taking that approach.

But I don't blame anyone when it comes to Bond films. The franchise is largely plot driven, so SF putting more emphasis on story/character regardless of plot logic is not something fans are used to.

Actually the nitpick that makes my eyes roll is when fans over-examine the presence of the DB5. Like trying to reconcile it with the DB5 featured in CR by suggesting Bond merely converted it to a left driver vehicle, trying to figure out how the same car from GF somehow made it's way into Craig's timeline. That it's "universe breaking".

In my head it's all rather simple. The DB5 is not the same car from CR. Also given that SP added that the car was lended to Bond by Q, it would make more sense that it's a car that was possibly used by 00 agents from the 1960s, way before Craig Bond's time. There. Not a very complicated explanation.
    But I don't blame anyone when it comes to Bond films. The franchise is largely plot driven, so SF putting more emphasis on story/character regardless of plot logic is not something fans are used to.

Actually the nitpick that makes my eyes roll is when fans over-examine the presence of the DB5. Like trying to reconcile it with the DB5 featured in CR by suggesting Bond merely converted it to a left driver vehicle, trying to figure out how the same car from GF somehow made it's way into Craig's timeline. That it's "universe breaking".

In my head it's all rather simple. The DB5 is not the same car from CR. Also given that SP added that the car was lended to Bond by Q, it would make more sense that it's a car that was possibly used by 00 agents from the 1960s, way before Craig Bond's time. There. Not a very complicated explanation.
    Oh, the DB5 is something I've never had an issue with. I think that reveal is fantastic, even if it's obvious fanservice.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,961

I think it can be the CR car, just because if MI6 happened to have identical cars in the 60s it would just be a bit of coincidence. I think Bond wins the car, but with company money while he's on a mission, so it's actually Her Majesty's property: so MI6 ships it back. Because he's friendly with someone in Q Branch (and maybe because M actually feels a bit sorry for him after's Vesper's death) he persuades them to convert it to RHD for him and sprinkle in a few gadgets from some old Q car they have laying around and basically get exclusive use of it. Hence in Spectre we see Q fixing it up and referring to it like it's a company car rather than Bond's personal motor- because it isn't. At the end of the film he just steals it but they turn a blind eye.

But that's only if I feel like playing it and figuring out how it could happen as a little game for myself. In the film I don't actually care: he just has that car because he's James Bond, and that's enough for me.
    mtm wrote: »

I think it can be the CR car, just because if MI6 happened to have identical cars in the 60s it would just be a bit of coincidence. I think Bond wins the car, but with company money while he's on a mission, so it's actually Her Majesty's property: so MI6 ships it back. Because he's friendly with someone in Q Branch (and maybe because M actually feels a bit sorry for him after's Vesper's death) he persuades them to convert it to RHD for him and sprinkle in a few gadgets from some old Q car they have laying around and basically get exclusive use of it. Hence in Spectre we see Q fixing it up and referring to it like it's a company car rather than Bond's personal motor- because it isn't. At the end of the film he just steals it but they turn a blind eye.

But that's only if I feel like playing it and figuring out how it could happen as a little game for myself. In the film I don't actually care: he just has that car because he's James Bond, and that's enough for me.

I like this as well. For me, Andrew James Bond was Sean Connery, and he decided to retire after DAF and move to Skyfall with Monique (and the DB5), where they had Andrew James Bond II (Daniel Craig). Both of which, of course, used their middle name in the service. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I like this as well. For me, Andrew James Bond was Sean Connery, and he decided to retire after DAF and move to Skyfall with Monique (and the DB5), where they had Andrew James Bond II (Daniel Craig). Both of which, of course, used their middle name in the service. ;)

Heh! :) You know I'm trying to think of something which contradicts that, but there's actually not much! Them both getting the 007 number in the exact same department is a bit of a massive stretch of credulity, but otherwise his love of the high life and martinis and all that he could have inherited from his dad I guess.
    The most major issue only appears in the film after when Blofeld pops up! :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Yeah I mean given the time between QoS and SF, it makes sense that the Aston could've been modified for Bond. It would have been worse in another universe if SF was somehow the sequel to Casino Royale, but here it makes perfect sense to me, and as @mtm points out, it's just so matter-of-fact that it's not even worth explaining.

Heh! :) You know I'm trying to think of something which contradicts that, but there's actually not much! Them both getting the 007 number in the exact same department is a bit of a massive stretch of credulity, but otherwise his love of the high life and martinis and all that he could have inherited from his dad I guess.
    The most major issue only appears in the film after when Blofeld pops up! :)

Lol for sure, the Blofeld (as well as other issues) is a major gap. My feeling is it's documented that Bond was good with languages etc. because of travelling the world with his parents as a child, and then Carte Blanche (lol), through Operation Steel Cartridge, indicates the possibility Bond's parents were also spies.

About the number, my feeling is that when Bond the junior became a 00, it only made sense for the department to give him his father's number. And Bond the junior becoming a secret agent in the same department was only inevitable, given his life and upbringing. "I suppose I never really had a choice."

But like you said, it's a fun game to try and tie things together / explain things, regardless of how futile! At the end of the day, my belief is the DB5 in SF was pure fan service for the 50th anniversary and nothing more. But the theories are fun too.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 8,025
    But as I’ve pointed out, it’s revealed that the car was lended to Bond by Q, so I don’t think it’s the same one from CR. Bond likely just sold it after CR.
    But as I’ve pointed out, it’s revealed that the car was lended to Bond by Q, so I don’t think it’s the same one from CR. Bond likely just sold it after CR.

Yep, either way, it doesn’t make sense that it’s the car from CR.

Also Q’s joke “I told you to bring it back in one piece, not bring back one piece” does literally indicate that it’s MI6 property, but it’s not a stretch to imagine he was just saying this to make a good joke and isn’t 100% conclusive that it’s MI6 property.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The odd thing there is that Bond didn't know who Q was until they met in the art gallery so unsure of when that interaction took place? And when Q would've given it to Bond?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

But don't forget in CR he wins the car by gambling while he's trying to trace the bomber's associates, and even though he had gone AWOL at that point, M herself and the rest of MI6 turn up in the Bahamas to reassign him onto the case, so you can bet that anything he'd done while on that mission retroactively became official company business, and that includes anything he'd won becoming company property- he is freed from police custody in Miami very quickly so we can assume they told them he was acting as an MI6 agent. Hence the DB5 in CR was MI6 property.
    And besides, Q doesn't actually say it belongs to him in Spectre- he's just making a joke about it. He obviously didn't say "bring it back in one piece" because Bond was never sent on a mission with it. If it did fully belong to Q Branch then why was Bond keeping it in a private lockup? It seems to be a bit of a looser arrangement and that Bond has persuaded Q Branch to work on 'his' car in the same way he persuades Q to let him disappear.
    lol good point about the CR DB5 being MI6 property, given that he won it while on the job.
    Although the money Bond won at Blades in Thunderball wasn't MI6 property; M had strong suggestions on what to use it for, but ultimately it was Bonds.
    Still, I don't believe the SF and CR DB5s are the same. There's just no sense in making it RHD from LHD. And it being in a random storage locker instead of Q Branch where all the other Astons are. And Bond complaining about company cars immediately before it's reveal.
    It's a personal car that exists outside of real explanation, except as fan service for the 50th anniversary.

But don't forget in CR he wins the car by gambling while he's trying to trace the bomber's associates, and even though he had gone AWOL at that point, M herself and the rest of MI6 turn up in the Bahamas to reassign him onto the case, so you can bet that anything he'd done while on that mission retroactively became official company business, and that includes anything he'd won became company property- he is freed from police custody in Miami very quickly so we can assume they told them he was acting as an MI6 agent. Hence the DB5 in CR was MI6 property.
    And besides, Q doesn't actually say it belongs to him in Spectre- he's just making a joke about it. If it did fully belong to Q Branch then why was Bond keeping it in a private lockup? It seems to be a bit of a looser arrangement and that Bond has persuaded Q Branch to work on 'his' car in the same way he persuades Q to let him disappear.

Yes, yes, and yes. See my posts above and below also. ;)