SKYFALL: Is this the best Bond film?

Comments

Ironically, given TC's age, I wonder if there is room for his own "SF" within the series. Ethan seems to have limitless confidence and seeing that dented/questioned by maturity (or his superiors) would be an interesting angle IMHO
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    patb wrote: »
    Ironically, given TC's age, I wonder if there is room for his own "SF" within the series. Ethan seems to have limitless confidence and seeing that dented/questioned by maturity (or his superiors) would be an interesting angle IMHO

It’s ironic that he keeps on ‘spying’ as he gets shafted by his superiors and Country in every film!!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It’s fair to say that “ going rogue” has been overdone throughout the entire spy genre.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 5,131
    talos7 wrote: »
    It’s fair to say that “ going rogue” has been overdone throughout the entire spy genre.

Agreed. And every time it’s portrayed as a ‘new idea’, or ‘breaking the formula.’
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2020 Posts: 7,526
    I don’t really see how it’s always portrayed as a new idea or breaking the formula necessarily, but it is done to death for sure.

Similarly to ‘the villain is ex-MI6” or associated with MI6 somehow.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,947
    suavejmf wrote: »

Agreed. And every time it’s portrayed as a ‘new idea’, or ‘breaking the formula.’

When is it portrayed as that?

I think that's an issue (and probably more prevalent in MI than JB) because it's a way of keeping it non-political and without portraying another country (or religion) as an enemy but still on the side of vaguely believable without going to super-rich supervillains on private islands.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 5,131
    mtm wrote: »

I think that's an issue (and probably more prevalent in MI than JB) because it's a way of keeping it non-political and without portraying another country (or religion) as an enemy but still on the side of vaguely believable without going to super-rich supervillains on private islands.

In the press releases and press conferences @mtm.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cultofmac.com/329967/james-bond-goes-rogue-to-catch-his-spectre/amp/
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 1,394

I am fairly shocked by the amount of people who proudly say things like "I couldn't tell you the plot of the Mission: Impossible films" as if it's a reflection of the films and not the people themselves. They're incredibly straightforward and efficient films.

Agreed.Those who say that the MI films are great just because of Cruise are unaware how crucial MCQ was to the success of the last two films.The guy is a great storyteller and when hes paired with Cruises ability to do crazy action scenes and youve got gold.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Rogue Nation was pretty good. Fallout was a snoozer. I’m not a fan of MCQ becoming the main director, as I really liked the original format of a different director coming in to bring their own take on the franchise. It made the films feel diverse.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited November 2020 Posts: 554
    I preferred Fallout to Rogue Nation. Granted, I really liked both.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I preferred Fallout to Rogue Nation. Granted, I really liked both.

Same here. Both excellent.
    MI is nothing, nothing compared to Bond! If anyone fits Fleming's description of a 'glamorized stuntman' it's Tom Cruise...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cultofmac.com/329967/james-bond-goes-rogue-to-catch-his-spectre/amp/

Not in that link, no.
    You're saying every time they say him going rogue is a new idea and breaking the formula? They don't do that, no; it doesn't happen.

jobo wrote: »
    MI is nothing, nothing compared to Bond!

No, it's excellent. I probably prefer Bond but the MI films have been superb this decade. I don't see it as a competition and I get to enjoy both.
    MI is nothing, nothing compared to Bond! If anyone fits Fleming's description of a 'glamorized stuntman' it's Tom Cruise...

I disagree strongly; Bond is a longer running, more iconic franchise, no doubt; but MI is an incredibly well done series wit top level talent across the board. While Tom Cruise adds immensely to it by doing his own stunts , he is also an A-List , top tier actor who’s more subtle acting contributions help separate it from other spy franchises.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Not in that link, no.
    You're saying every time they say him going rogue is a new idea and breaking the formula? They don't do that, no; it doesn't happen.

No, it's excellent. I probably prefer Bond but the MI films have been superb this decade. I don't see it as a competition and I get to enjoy both.

I prefer Bond, and it's because of DC. And though many do not like it, EON's strategic move to make Bond a little more human and relatable, with an acknowledged backstory, has been huge. Sure, EON was taking a page out of the Marvel playbook, but it's a step in the right direction. I think it's important that we care a little bit about Bond--that despite being a blunt instrument, there's a some psychology to investigate. The word association in SF captured this brilliantly. I'm not sure fans have an emotional investment in Ethan Hunt. Or Jason Bourne. Or any of the F&F characters.

But they do the Avengers, as there wasn't a dry eye in the house at the end of Infinity War.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Yes. The MCU accomplished what they set out to do with those films, and, by many measures of success, succeeded with flying colours.

Mission Impossible rules, but I like it for different reasons than Bond. And of course I prefer Bond. I think a lot of it has to do with the depth of the character of Bond. I don’t feel like people are invested in Ethan Hunt in the same way they are with Bond, but they’re really entertaining movies. Rogue Nation did a better job at being a cohesive film with an arch villain than Spectre did.
    TripAces wrote: »

Not in that link, no.

I prefer Bond, and it's because of DC. And though many do not like it, EON's strategic move to make Bond a little more human and relatable, with an acknowledged backstory, has been huge. Sure, EON was taking a page out of the Marvel playbook, but it's a step in the right direction. I think it's important that we care a little bit about Bond--that despite being a blunt instrument, there's a some psychology to investigate. The word association in SF captured this brilliantly. I'm not sure fans have an emotional investment in Ethan Hunt. Or Jason Bourne. Or any of the F&F characters.

But they do the Avengers, as there wasn't a dry eye in the house at the end of Infinity War.

I've said this before and will again: I cared about Bond long before the trend to psychologically investigate. It hasn't given me any deeper appreciation for the character or the series. Was it not okay to watch the character doing what he did best and enjoy it immensely? Doing a word association didn't do a thing for me to make me like the character or enhance that film. I have the works of Fleming if I want to tap into that side of Bond.

Same with Ethan Hunt. Take me on a great ride for a couple of hours and make me want to watch this adventure over and over again.
    As I’ve said, Bond is a more iconic character but I think Hunt is a more 3 dimensional character.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited November 2020 Posts: 16,330
    I couldn't care less about Bond's inner psyche or if he's emotionally traumatized. I find that incredibly boring and not fun to watch. Now a man who seems to be two steps ahead of everyone else who has a good sense of style and a taste for the finer things, who gets the job done efficiently is someone I can watch again and again. Bond was a 3 dimensional character long before Craig came around.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    Murdock wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about Bond's inner psyche or if he's emotionally traumatized. I find that incredibly boring and not fun to watch. Now a man who seems to be two steps ahead of everyone else who has a good sense of style and a taste for the finer things, who gets the job done efficiently is someone I can watch again and again. Bond was a 3 dimensional character long before Craig came around.

Seconded. I just watched Thunderball over the weekend; Sean Connery just oozes so much style and confidence that you can’t help but fix your eyes on him every time he appears on the screen. There’s a sophistication, a ruggedness to how he played the character that was never boring.

Though I do appreciate what Daniel Craig has brought to the role, I do believe the delving into James Bond’s psyche was a little much, bordering into inconsequential territory. It’s JAMES BOND: he drinks, he’s a bit of a loner, he gambles, has good taste (in women and the finer things) and, most important of all, saves the world.

At the end of the day, the less we know about him, the more compelling of a character he becomes.
    Tom Cruise is a stuntman. That's it... He has never been a convincing actor. It is impressive to see all the acrobatics he can do in MI, but the character of Ethan Hunt is as boring as a splodge of wet concrete. What are his defining character traits apart from being an infallible trick artist? Nothing. There is nothing interesting about him at all! Were he a female, people would bash him for being a "Mary Sue"...
    Murdock wrote: »

Seconded. I just watched Thunderball over the weekend; Sean Connery just oozes so much style and confidence that you can’t help but fix your eyes on him every time he appears on the screen. There’s a sophistication, a ruggedness to how he played the character that was never boring.

Though I do appreciate what Daniel Craig has brought to the role, I do believe the delving into James Bond’s psyche was a little much, bordering into inconsequential territory. It’s JAMES BOND: he drinks, he’s a bit of a loner, he gambles, has good taste (in women and the finer things) and, most important of all, saves the world.

At the end of the day, the less we know about him, the more compelling of a character he becomes.

Thirded. I'm done with Bond's inner psyche, personal angst, family backstories that have very little do with what Fleming wrote.

Let's get back to a Bond that feels emotions yes, but doesn't go overboard anymore in that direction. A straightforward mission with no personal angles, against a villain who is just a villain because he is. Give me someone like Goldfinger over any of the villains (from GE right the way through to SP) any day of the week.

And no more double crosses or secret agents or villains in disguise either. It's become tired and boring as hell.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 8,034
    Tom Cruise is a stuntman. That's it... He has never been a convincing actor.

Let's not get carried away, here. ;)

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    TripAces wrote: »

Not in that link, no.

I prefer Bond, and it's because of DC. And though many do not like it, EON's strategic move to make Bond a little more human and relatable, with an acknowledged backstory, has been huge. Sure, EON was taking a page out of the Marvel playbook, but it's a step in the right direction.

Surely Eon had headed down this path before Marvel movies started?

Don't be silly. He's a very well-established movie star (since before quite a few people on this board were born! :) ) for a good reason.

Not getting carried away. I have yet to see a single performance by him which has impressed me. It might be a matter of taste, obviously... But to claim "he is a movie star, therefore he has to be a great actor" is pure nonsense!
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I have never considered tom to be a great actor, although he is a great entertainer.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Not getting carried away. I have yet to see a single performance by him which has impressed me. It might be a matter of taste, obviously... But to claim "he is a movie star, therefore he has to be a great actor" is pure nonsense!

You said he wasn't convincing, which you're entitled to think but you're in a very small minority there :) People who aren't good at their job at all don't tend to become amongst the most famous people in the world with 40 year careers at the top.

Also I'm not sure who you're quoting there- this thread seems to be full of a lot of made-up quotes at the moment!
    I have never considered tom to be a great actor, although he is a great entertainer.

I think he can be excellent and has given some very strong performances, but not for a while for some reason- he's been sticking to action movies for the last few years. Maybe he'll go back to character stuff at some point.

Cruise may be excellent at running away from explosions, but he’s just as adept at wringing wild and riveting performances in such daring fare as Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia and Vanilla Sky. Add that to his iconic on-screen moments, from his Ray Bans-and-briefs shimmying in Risky Business, his leading Maverick in Topgun, to his courtroom showdown in A Few Good Men, and his career becomes an essential component of modern cinema. He’s an Icon.
    Tom is an excellent actor who is also exceptionally good at physical acting and stunts, a perfect combination for a spy franchise.

No, but him being a great actor is what makes him a great actor. He just has a star quality to him that elevates a lot of his projects further. He certainly has predominantly focused on the action oriented stuff later in his career, but just look at some of the stuff that dots his filmography: Born On The Fourth Of July, The Color Of Money, A Few Good Men, Magnolia, Collateral, Eyes Wide Shut etc. Just look at the names of some of the directors of those projects, for perspective. You don't work with the best of the best, consistently, without having the talent to attract them to you. It certainly is a matter of taste, but describing him as a "stuntman" is more than a bit unfair.

I think Craig, to me, has similar qualities as a performer - it's just unfortunate that his non-Bond films generally have not clicked with audiences. At least not yet.

But anyway, to bring it back to topic...

Skyfall is a prime example of why Bond is unique in pop culture. Is it a perfect film? No. Is it the best Bond film? No, I don't think so. Top ten though, for sure. However, something about it tapped into the connection that people have with the character and they went out in droves to see it. It gave the brand some serious momentum that unfortunately, as we know, was not capitalised on properly, for reasons both creative (the dud that is SP) and legal.

Hopefully NTTD can round it off as best as it can.