Will EON Blow it?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Love the sarcasm @Getafix. Hard to spot in text and all, but I am able to pick it up just fine.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    the action scenes in QOS were obviously influenced by Bourne.... why else would they hire Dan Bradley, when it was evident the Bourne-comparisons would start ?
    Love the sarcasm @Getafix. Hard to spot in text and all, but I am able to pick it up just fine.

Whatever gave you that impression? I think you've completely misread me.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,310
    I think EON already 'blew it' with Quantum of Solace. Expectations were extremely (and perhaps unrealistically) high after CR, and to the best of my knowledge QOS was a failure in that regard. (It also failed to be a superior Bond movie, IMO, as well.)

Oh, what could have been with QOS...well...I guess that's for another day.

Everything seems to be going right for EON and James Bond in 2012. It's the 50th anniversary, an Oscar friendly cast and crew, 007 at the Olympics etc. I don't think EON and Skyfall will blow it. I think it will be a great film.

Edit: Forgive me for breaking up the concurrent conversation. :P
    I happen to be one of the few lunatics who actually thought QoB was actually pretty good.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SJK91 wrote:
    I think EON already 'blew it' with Quantum of Solace. Expectations were extremely (and perhaps unrealistically) high after CR, and to the best of my knowledge QOS was a failure in that regard. (It also failed to be a superior Bond movie, IMO, as well.)

Everything seems to be going right for EON and James Bond in 2012. It's the 50th anniversary, an Oscar friendly cast and crew, 007 at the Olympics etc. I don't think EON and Skyfall will blow it. I think it will be a great film.

To the best of your knowledge?
    :-/
    SJK91 wrote:

Well based on critics' reviews, comments on this board and opinions of people I know (Bond fans and casual fans alike). It's not really much to go on, but I'm saying that Quantum of Solace seemed to underwhelm for most people, you know?
    SJK91 wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:

Well based on critics' reviews, comments on this board and opinions of people I know (Bond fans and casual fans alike). It's not really much to go on, but I'm saying that Quantum of Solace seemed to underwhelm for most people, you know?

I don't pay attention to what others think though. That's what opinions are for.
    SJK91 wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:

I don't pay attention to what others think though. That's what opinions are for.

Agree. QoS is definitely going to one of those films that grows in popularity over time, a bit like OHMSS. Underrated now, but eventually it will be given the due respect it deserves.

And those filthy Bourne rumours will be quashed as well of course.

Who ever heard of Bond ripping off another movie?! Daft idea.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    I feel like the movies are a dependable road. You know where are you going, when you will get there, and how the ride will be. Despite this, we sometimes take another road (OHMSS, LTK, QOS) just to see what it will be like. Some prefer it to the normal ride, while others never want to go that way again.

OHMSS - Brilliant
    LTK - so so
    QoB - Even too bad to fit in the Bourne trilogy.

How dare you suggest there is any similarity between QoS and the Bourne trilogy?!

Apart from the editing, action, fight scenes, underlying story and ending there is nothing in common at all!

You lunatic!

Isn't that like....2/3 of the movie though? All that's left is character.

But his argument is also faulty, so it's most unreliable.

I'm agreeing with you. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that QoS was in the slightest bit influenced by Bourne. At all. Absolutely. Nothing in it whatsoever. Lunatic idea.

Aside from the fact that the second unit director was Dan Bradley who had worked on the Bourne films and the fight between Bond and Slate was filmed in a Bourne-esque way.

QoS isn't as bad as some say BUT its no where NEAR OHMSS quality wise. The action, the music the STORY are all superior in Majesty's.

I saw CR and QoS back-to-back the other day. The latter is still pretty mediocre. The action is at best average and the story is thin. Its a shame because there is some good stuff in there but compared to CR and OHMSS its utterly flat.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    I feel like the movies are a dependable road. You know where are you going, when you will get there, and how the ride will be. Despite this, we sometimes take another road (OHMSS, LTK, QOS) just to see what it will be like. Some prefer it to the normal ride, while others never want to go that way again.

OHMSS - Brilliant
    LTK - so so

How dare you suggest there is any similarity between QoS and the Bourne trilogy?!

Apart from the editing, action, fight scenes, underlying story and ending there is nothing in common at all!

You lunatic!

I'm agreeing with you. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that QoS was in the slightest bit influenced by Bourne. At all. Absolutely. Nothing in it whatsoever. Lunatic idea.

Aside from the fact that the second unit director was Dan Bradley who had worked on the Bourne films and the fight between Bond and Slate was filmed in a Bourne-esque way.

You're speaking nonsense BAIN! Can't you SEE that it wasn't influenced by Bourne? At all!

You will never learn!

Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

OHMSS - Brilliant
    LTK - so so

You lunatic!

You're speaking nonsense BAIN! Can't you SEE that it wasn't influenced by Bourne? At all!

You will never learn!

When I first saw that fight in the cinema I thought "thats like Bourne" :p
    Bottom Line: Bond is bringing in the cash. Therefore it's a success. Some like the direction it's headed, others don't. You can't please everybody and naturally, the series will move farther and farther away from the time and place of it's original creation, that it will be impossible to really capture the 'essence' of that place. THere's frankly no way they can blow it with SF. It's already succeeded, with DC's Olympic feat, the advertising, the Jubilee, the 50th anniversary. Bond is safe and sound.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 3,494
    QOS, QOb, whatever, don't give a rat's arse personally. Bond has influenced and been influenced. After 50 years, it has to be fairly difficult to not repeat yourself or borrow from someone else.

After CR, artistically of course, expectations were going to be high. After TWINE (subpar) and DAD (unmitigated disaster), I'm sure many thought the series was back on track. Then we got a writer's strike, which resulted in a script that didn't develop the minor characters and left the viewer yearning for more and with perhaps one question too many. The Bourne comparisons obviously resulted from not having the foresight to either not hire them in the first place, or to make sure they were altering their style to fit Bond. That has to fall back on the producers and Forster, but again with the endless rewrites and time crunch, I'm sure they were doing the best that they could under the circumstances.

Financially, no question that the series has not suffered from poor box office since 1989.

Some may think my stance is apologist in nature, and that's fine. Some people here and in the general public saw the QOS product and made up their minds they don't like something or other about it. They don't care about circumstances and often don't look very deeply at that point for anything positive, because it might cause them to rethink their position. And yet, there are positives about the film, which leads to my next sentence. The better, and most important questions in hindsight should be, did QOS successfully wrap the story of Bond and Vesper and introduce QUANTUM properly as an organization who could be a world wide threat in the same way SPECTRE was? If the answer is yes, which for me is largely the answer, then the rest is pretty much nitpicking. Yes, it's far from one of the series' great entries in my opinion, but it has value and I think Getafix makes a solid point when he says that it may be one of those films that may increase in popularity as time marches on. OHMSS suffered from the same level of criticisms and even more for years afterwards until a new generation of fans rescued it from the proverbial bargain bin.

Bottom line for me is, while QOS was a tad disappointing, it did not "blow it". DAD had an extra year, zero limitations and was awful in comparison. So with 4 years and no limitations on how good it can be, yet alone what we've seen and what has been teased, only a complete pessimist would truly think SkyFall will "blow it".

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    There were always high and low points in these 50 years of Bond. Saying that EON will blow it is makes no sense at this moment. First because we haven't seen the film yet, second because everything seems to indicate we are going to have a great Bond film.
    I'd like to add that I like QoS more and more everytime I see it. It's now firmly in my top 3, believe it or not. Even with all the obvious flaws there is something special about it and I believe it is going to be one of those entries that will grow on fans as years go by. Maybe one day in the future fans will be talking about how underrated it was at the time of release.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

OHMSS - Brilliant
    LTK - so so

You lunatic!

You will never learn!

When I first saw that fight in the cinema I thought "thats like Bourne" :p

Stop! Now!

I don't care what you think you 'saw'! Just because they made DC jump across the street in exactly the same way as Bourne, DOES NOT mean they were ripping Bourne off. Stop it now with this lunacy.

And remember, no one involved in making QoS has ever publicly stated that they completely and utterly ripped off the Bourne franchise. Remember that. It's very important and certifiably proves I'm insane my point.
  • Nice reply Sandy. Indeed, QOS is the OHMSS of the previous decade. I've liked QOS more and more after each viewing because it's a real sequel, something the series sorely missed and failed to capitalize on after OHMSS. Then again, unlike Craig, most people including the producers wanted to forget about George. QOS just seems better if you watch it immediately after CR as a companion piece rather than as a standalone. Still trying to get used to it that way because the plot holes tend to stick out just a little bit more.
    QOS just seems better if you watch it immediately after CR as a companion piece rather than as a standalone. Still trying to get used to it that way because the plot holes tend to stick out just a little bit more.

I did that just the other day. It's still pretty average.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I usually watch it standalone and have no problems with it. I think it works well that way too.
  • I understand that Bain. I'm not a huge fan of QOS and think it an average Bond adventure that had potential to be a lot better, obviously. But then I could say that about several films in the series. Bottom line for me, there are several entries that are far worse than QOS and less watchable.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Sandy wrote:
    I usually watch it standalone and have no problems with it. I think it works well that way too.

It still leaves me wanting more in certain aspects. It just feels incomplete. I thought that leaving the theater in 2008 and still do. I kind of come down in the middle, not a top 10 but certainly easily better than #22 with the likes of DAD, MR, DAF, and to a lesser extent TWINE. I think the movie has far more value than those and much more bang for the buck in enjoyment.

• when I made my comment I did not know it was cause an argument about Bond and the Bourne series.
  • when I made my comment I did not know it was cause an argument about Bond and the Bourne series.

It shouldn't, but apparently comparisons are inevitable and the first thought that comes to mind of aficionados of both series. Bond is better than Bourne any day IMHO.

It shouldn't, but apparently comparisons are inevitable and the first thought that comes to mind of aficionados of both series. Bond is better than Bourne any day IMHO.
    I agree with your humble opinion.

After 50 years? NAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2012 Posts: 4,043
    EON can only hope to emulate the quality & consistency that Nolan has with the Bat Trilogy so far, seriously Burton's Batman films look ridiculous next to Nolan's as for Schumacher's the less said the better.

Nolan has emulated the blockbuster to heights not seen before whether you don't like dark serious films or not you can't deny he hasn't, we hardly got thoughtful Hollywood films he changed that with Batman and Inception.

If Skyfall echoes Nolan's films than I'm happy, they have a quality rarely seen in Hollywood these days.

Please stop denying QOS was not influenced by Bourne, it's silly just admit it and deal with it, I like the film but QOS suffered by trying to emulate these films, they even used the same second unit director, CR had it's own feel and I hope SF strikes out with a similar tone but Solace was trying to be Bourne, so many saw it, it's just sore Bond fans who can't admit it, try and talk themselves into thinking it isn't so but I'm afraid it is.

As for Skyfall I believe we'll get the film we hoped QOS would be and 2012 Bond will own Bourne.
    QoS had the same 2nd unit direction as Bourne, so yes, a lot will look familiar, but that's where the similarities end. As for the shaky cam, do you all think only the Bourne films use it? Tons of films do.
    There might be some similarities with Bourne just recently, but stuff all that, this is the James Bond series, I'm concentrating on that, we can make comparisons but they're different franchises, it's as simple as that, it's where it stops and ends for me. I go to theaters to see James Bond not Bourne, I wouldn't even want to watch the latter if I'm being honest

There is a lot of hype for this upcoming release later this year, a lot of expectations and I don't think we will be overly disappointed. People will be aware QOS was a bit of a let down, they will want to give something back to the viewing public. It's the 50th anniversary, half century event, a lot of time and trouble has gone into this, people maybe are getting their hopes up a little too much before the finished product, but that's fair enough. Judgments can be properly made at, and after, the time arises, but for now, some people are expecting great things, I can appreciate that. We can only wait and see, I think it should be a successful event
    skyfall is gona be awesome, sam mendes has made terrific movies , most especially American Beauty and I have total faith in him with SKYFALL. plus Daniel and Sam have a great relationship and that definitely brings more chemistry to the film.

I was reading a few days ago Christopher Nolan wanted to direct a bond film and honestly I hope he doesn't, I have a feeling he would definitely bring too much action and fluff to bond, maybe im wrong but thats how I feel about that.
    "Nolan" and "too much action" in the same sentence? Qué?