Timothy Dalton's PROPERTY OF A LADY

2»

Comments

and The Property of a lady was definitely going to be the title?
  • Risico007 wrote: »

It was definitely NOT going to be the title. No title has ever been chosen and nothing in the drafts suggested any influence from Fleming's short story.
    Risico007 wrote: »

It was definitely NOT going to be the title. No title has ever been chosen and nothing in the drafts suggested any influence from Fleming's short story.

my guess is the title would of been used but that is just a guess.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    wait has more from this come out i only know if the short lik 2-4 page outline has a full draft been leaked?
    While the full draft never leaked, its overall content is briefly detailed in Some Kind of Hero, the book by Matthew Field and Ajay Chowdhury.
    The pre-title sequence is set in North Africa where, under the guise of taking part in a powerboat race, Bond parascends to a cliff top and it is revealed he is in Libya. There he infiltrates a chemical weapons facility which is guarded by a hi-tech robot. After outwitting his mechanical nemesis and Colonel Al-Sabra of the Libyan State Secret Police, Bond high dives into the water. He is berated by the young intelligence officer sent to evaluate him for failing in his mission to destroy the plant. Just then the plant explodes and the twisted remains of the robot land on the powerboat Bond arrives at MI6 headquarters in London to find Nigel Yupland, a junior defence minister, is wielding the cost-cutting axe. Moneypenny is engaged to a ‘structural engineer from Harrow’ and Q Branch is to be shut down. A mournful Q requests that Bond send him a postcard.

The plot centred on a much more cost-effective stealth fighter, the Scimitar, developed by the British and worth billions in arms sales to the economy. The fighter has been stolen while on exercise with the US Navy. Bond is sent to track it down. During his investigations, 007 learns the fighter, with its stealth technology, is to be used to launch an undetectable nuclear attack on China, causing regime change, allowing the hardline General Han to take over. Han will then grant Hong Kong to Sir Henry Ferguson, a ruthless industrialist, as his own private principality. Ferguson has an island retreat in Kowloon. Han has been supplied with hi-tech weapons developed by Ferguson and delivered via Vegas gangsters, the Vinelli brothers. When the time comes, Ferguson liquidates the gangsters to cut all ties between the weapons and him. On his mission Bond meets the attractively independent, Connie Webb. She is ostensibly a jewel thief, but there is much more to her. Webb and Bond enjoy a feisty, raunchy and amusing one-upmanship throughout the screenplay.

Other scenes were more specifically made public when a copy of this draft was sold at auction. Here are some:
    img1.jpg?_ga=2.172362659.1408424774.1602687450-1046506046.1602687450
    img2.jpg?_ga=2.268781553.1408424774.1602687450-1046506046.1602687450
    img3.jpg?_ga=2.130500367.1408424774.1602687450-1046506046.1602687450
    The other pages are accessible here: https://propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/26/lot/3381/JAMES-BOND-BOND-17-Draft-Screenplay

The PTS sounds interesting, as does the whole reasoning behind Sir Henry Ferguson’s plot to have Hong Kong as his own state.

I remember the James Bond British Fan Club newsletter at the time mentioning a rumored title: PORTRAIT OF A LADY. I imagine that rumor eventually evolved into PROPERTY OF A LADY, yet there was no real merit to any of those title rumors.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 9,730
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I remember the James Bond British Fan Club newsletter at the time mentioning a rumored title: PORTRAIT OF A LADY. I imagine that rumor eventually evolved into PROPERTY OF A LADY, yet there was no real merit to any of those title rumors.

My guess is post Licence to kill they would of gone with a short story title trying to get back to the living daylights and away from License to kill...

they should make a video game version of this
  • ChriskarrChriskarr Spain
    I hope someday we can read the script of William Davies and William Osborne.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I read somewhere that A Whisper from Hell was considered as a potential title.
    matt_u wrote: »

why not go with A whisper of hate which i am still surprised it hasn't been used

I think that was a fan created title. Though I could be wrong.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

It’s possible, I don’t know. I read this story on an Italian fan 007 site.

It’s possible, I don’t know. I read this story on an Italian fan 007 site.

Fair enough. Might need to look it up.
    its my turn to pick the movie between me and my wife can i go to an alternate reality where i can see this film
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    its my turn to pick the movie between me and my wife can i go to an alternate reality where i can see this film

• ^^^ This is a great show...and one of my favorite episodes FROM that great show.

That's a pretty good title, if nothing else.