No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Even if Apple does indeed acquire MGM, that would not mean NTTD is going to streaming.

Very true.

But there wouldn't be near as much value in the deal for them in the short term if they weren't going to try and use it primarily to drive subscriptions to their streaming services or generate PVOD sales.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Only just watched the NTTD Bridge Clip, I absolutely love what I am seeing and hearing 'Its all in the little details' this film is going to be great.
  • tonesmalones09tonesmalones09 Minneapolis
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    Even if Apple does indeed acquire MGM, that would not mean NTTD is going to streaming.

Very true.

But there wouldn't be near as much value in the deal for them in the short term if they weren't going to try and use it primarily to drive subscriptions to their streaming services or generate PVOD sales.

The purchase of MGM would not be a short term investment. NTTD is just one asset that would be part of that purchase. Of course they could opt to put it on Apple TV+ and make a fraction of the possible returns NTTD would bring in a theatrical release in 2021, but that seems doubtful.

I think it's a mistake to compare this to other PVOD purchases. Apple would not be buying NTTD. They're buying an entire company with multiple films on the horizon. Not apples to apples.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 28
    Also the short term upside of Apple buying MGM, for Apple, would be to dump MGM's back catalog (or what is left of it they still have control of) onto Apple TV+, a service that severely lacks a back catalog. THAT seems to me to be the short term benefit and a way to see a quick but small return on investment.

I can't imagine a film the size of NTTD being dumped on an exclusive streaming service just to drive subscriptions. That would spell a dark future for the franchise imo.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    So Apple just launched the iPhone 12 with...you guessed it...playing in the background as the reveal music.

Zero chance of coincidence.

I can't, for the life of me, fathom a branding reason for doing this. It has to be a super on-the-nose declaration of their interest or possibly even an overt hint that a deal is actively being worked on.

Either way, it's clear something's in motion and the recent MI6-HQ article about the Bond 25 rollercoaster being far from over was indeed prescient.

I foresee two possibilities: another push of the film to (at least) November 2021 to facilitate all the (significant) machinations involved in such a large acquisition, or...

...the possibility that I'm overestimating their ability to bring it to market quickly via streaming platform after such a deal is/were struck. And we could be watching NTTD in our living rooms much sooner than you'd think.

Also possibly not a coincidence: Amazon invested $125 million this afternoon to acquire Eddie Murphy's "Coming to America 2" from Paramount for distribution on their Prime Video streaming platform. Is this a demonstration of their interest, as well? Or a countermove that reflects they know something we don't about their being out of the running for Bond?

AFAIK, it's the largest single film acquisition to date in the COVID era by a streamer, from a studio.

Exciting times, for all the wrong reasons. ;)

Why didn't they use the Mission Impossible theme? I mean, there are fans on here arguing that MI become more relevant than Bond. So... :-?

Very true.

The purchase of MGM would not be a short term investment. NTTD is just one asset that would be part of that purchase. Of course they could opt to put it on Apple TV+ and make a fraction of the possible returns NTTD would bring in a theatrical release in 2021, but that seems doubtful.

I think it's a mistake to compare this to other PVOD purchases. Apple would not be buying NTTD. They're buying an entire company with multiple films on the horizon. Not apples to apples.

I agree completely with this, as well. But I just think they'll want to maximize value in both the short- and long-term scenarios, obviously. Particularly if they're shelling out $8 billion to make this happen.

No doubt it's a purchase made with the longest-possible-term eye. And I wouldn't bet on NTTD being exclusively streaming, either. But if enough cinemas are open next April to make it viable, I could see simultaneous physical + streaming release around the world, depending on where/how people are comfortable watching it.

Disney made a huge note of consumer demand driving their (massive) streaming pivot this week. Amazon just bought a theatrical release for $125 million. Warners and AT&T just laid off a massive number of people today as part of their own restructuring.

It just seems that the digital shift is really, rapidly rounding the corner this week. And each interested party will want to seize the moment(s) for all they're worth.
    Also the short term upside of Apple buying MGM, for Apple, would be to dump MGM's back catalog (or what is left of it they still have control of) onto Apple TV+, a service that severely lacks a back catalog. THAT seems to me to be the short term benefit and a way to see a quick but small return on investment.

I can't imagine a film the size of NTTD being dumped on an exclusive streaming service just to drive subscriptions. That would spell a dark future for the franchise imo.

I wouldn't call it a "dump" at all. Likely offered as PVOD with some contingent upsell connected to the subscription package.

It would be a marquee turning point, frankly, in the shift from live viewing to streaming. Brands don't get much bigger, or conventionally cinematic, than Bond. Being the first major studio release of that caliber to get a streaming treatment would be a landmark cultural event.

Very true.

I agree completely with this, as well. But I just think they'll want to maximize value in both the short- and long-term scenarios, obviously. Particularly if they're shelling out $8 billion to make this happen.

No doubt it's a purchase made with the longest-possible-term eye. And I wouldn't bet on NTTD being exclusively streaming, either. But if enough cinemas are open next April to make it viable, I could see simultaneous physical + streaming release around the world, depending on where/how people are comfortable watching it.

Disney made a huge note of consumer demand driving their (massive) streaming pivot this week. Amazon just bought a theatrical release for $125 million. Warners and AT&T just laid off a massive number of people today as part of their own restructuring.

It just seems that the digital shift is really, rapidly rounding the corner this week. And each interested party will want to seize the moment(s) for all they're worth.

I think this is all very possible, just not anytime soon. Big studios with big properties will still want to wait to see the theatrical landscape in 2021 before dumping marquee films on exclusive streaming sites. If, for example, November 2021 is still not an option for NTTD then I could see it landing on streaming. But that's just me.
    If Disney is successful in releasing mcu movies at Disney plus and turning a profit, expect the rest of Hollywood to suddenly drop their films at streaming. Here’s hoping.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Bond says YES to apple.

craig_oct10.jpg
  • I really hope this happens, because I don't see NTTD coming out in cinemas in April of next year. I want to see the film. Cinemas aren't what they were anyway. Pre-Covid they were full of noisy people sat on their phones. I'm kind of praying for the death of cinema, and I'm a huge film fan. I've got a beautiful, large screen TV in my lounge. I can eat my own food, have tea and coffee, and pop to the toilet whenever I want. Cinemas are looking increasingly archaic.

Very true.

I think this is all very possible, just not anytime soon. Big studios with big properties will still want to wait to see the theatrical landscape in 2021 before dumping marquee films on exclusive streaming sites. If, for example, November 2021 is still not an option for NTTD then I could see it landing on streaming. But that's just me.

My gut feeling is that Nov '21 is that absolute drop dead date it would never push later than, without pivoting to digital.

One could make the argument, from a brand equity/hype perspective, April '21 is already pushing it farther than you'd think possible. This Bond film will have been in end-stage marketing for 15 months by that point. Unprecedented.
    Here’s hoping Souls is successful. And black widow gets a streaming release. If they work, bye bye cinema. Good riddance.
  • Here’s hoping Souls is successful. And black widow gets a streaming release. If they work, bye bye cinema. Good riddance.

Amen. 🙏🙏

I wouldn't call it a "dump" at all. Likely offered as PVOD with some contingent upsell connected to the subscription package.

It would be a marquee turning point, frankly, in the shift from live viewing to streaming. Brands don't get much bigger, or conventionally cinematic, than Bond. Being the first major studio release of that caliber to get a streaming treatment would be a landmark cultural event.

I know people like us would rush to subscribe to Apple TV+ and pay w/e rate they choose to charge us, but Apple TV+ is a pretty lowly streaming service today. Low subscriber count, not available on all platforms, etc. I just think that would signal the streaming service's desperation for content rather than Bond's need for the service.

Also - don't forget MGW and BB's press release when the film was delayed. They want the film to be released in cinema's worldwide. They still have a say in all this.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited October 2020 Posts: 1,329
    I really hope this happens, because I don't see NTTD coming out in cinemas in April of next year. I want to see the film. Cinemas aren't what they were anyway. Pre-Covid they were full of noisy people sat on their phones. I'm kind of praying for the death of cinema, and I'm a huge film fan. I've got a beautiful, large screen TV in my lounge. I can eat my own food, have tea and coffee, and pop to the toilet whenever I want. Cinemas are looking increasingly archaic.

I’m torn between this and really pining to see that beautiful cinematography and those imax sequences on the biggest screen possible. Like you I’ve had my last handful of cinema trips ruined by selfish ‘c u next Tuesday’s ‘ and it’s infuriating!
    Streaming has so many advantages to cinemas. No annoying people, you can eat your own snacks, which are both healthier and less expensive that what cinemas offer, you can pause and do your business without having to worry about missing bits of the film. It’s a win win win.

DCisared wrote: »
    I really hope this happens, because I don't see NTTD coming out in cinemas in April of next year. I want to see the film. Cinemas aren't what they were anyway. Pre-Covid they were full of noisy people sat on their phones. I'm kind of praying for the death of cinema, and I'm a huge film fan. I've got a beautiful, large screen TV in my lounge. I can eat my own food, have tea and coffee, and pop to the toilet whenever I want. Cinemas are looking increasingly archaic.

I’m torn between this and really pining to see that beautiful cinematography and those imax sequences on the biggest screen possible. Like you I’ve had my last handful of cinema trips ruined by selfish ‘c u next Tuesday’s ‘ and it’s infuriating!

Cinematography isn’t a problem if you have a decent telly. In fact, 4K, 65 inch tellys are cheaper than ever.

As for sound, get a pair of good headphones. You can replicate the aural power of a cinema.
    Streaming has so many advantages to cinemas. No annoying people, you can eat your own snacks, which are both healthier and less expensive that what cinemas offer, you can pause and do your business without having to worry about missing bits of the film. It’s a win win win.

Except for people that prefer theaters.

For me, when a movie comes out I know I will always be able to see it again at home. But seeing a movie in a theater, on the big screen with great picture and sound can't be replicated at home. And even if theaters were struggling before the pandemic, they were far from the brink of collapse. The pandemic have severely hurt them but that doesn't mean cinemas were dying or deserve to die.
    Theatrical releases aren’t dead. Hollywood has yet to find a streaming model that can replace the lost revenue. Disney’s restructuring is preparation for the future, not a pivot for the present. Studios will most likely release less movies in theaters but there’s not really long term incentive—yet—to cut-off massive blockbusters at their knees. People are not at the psychological point where paying $30.00+ to see a SFX extravaganza on a 55-inch flat screen is justifiable. Mulan’s VOD release made about as much as Tenet’s theatrical run but Tenet can still sell VOD/TV/Blu Ray. There’s still way more money in the theatrical model.
    Lol. My 65 inch 4K OLED is better than most cinemas. And before you say it, size isn’t everything. In terms of colour reproduction, clarity, black level, and high dynamic range, it betters most non-IMAX cinemas.

As for sound, use a headphone.
    Lol. My 65 inch 4K OLED is better than most cinemas. And before you say it, size isn’t everything. In terms of colour reproduction, clarity, black level, and high dynamic range, it betters most non-IMAX cinemas.

As for sound, use a headphone.

Oh I guess I'm wrong about what I prefer./s

I too have a 4k OLED tv and love it. I still prefer to see movies in the theaters and so do lots of people. Sorry! If the pandemic has done anything it's made me long for more communal experiences and a time when I could get out of the house whenever and see whatever's playing at the local theater.

If you prefer to watch stuff at home you always can and you always will. So why cheer for the death of something you're not interested in anyways? If it's just to see new things a few months earlier I think that's a shame.
    Because I don’t want to wait for four months to get it? Cinemas can die and I get to watch it day 1 on stream. Or they can offer a choice to have both available atf en same time. Which will just kill cinemas anyway.
    Because I don’t want to wait for four months to get it? Cinemas can die and I get to watch it day 1 on stream. Or they can offer a choice to have both available atf en same time. Which will just kill cinemas anyway.

Pretty short sighted but okay!
    It's a very individual thing.

I love the cinema experience and will be gutted if it goes the way of the dinosaur. It's a wonderful, exciting, beautiful thing. Some of the best memories of my life are there.

But it's just not feasibly safe right now, or in the foreseeable future. And there's no guarantee it will be.

Ultimately, it seems to be a question of what matters more to us personally: the content (film), or the context (experience). And this is where I'm torn.

Because I don't want the cinematic experience to die, and yet there's no question for me personally, the content is dramatically more important to me, now, for No Time to Die.

That's just me personally. I've been waiting for this thing forever and now, with so much disrupted and so many other things put properly into perspective by the crisis, I just simply wouldn't care if I watched it at home. I just want to watch it.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,518

I’m with you here. Maybe some independent theatres in town will show it at some point as well, but big box cinemas are free to go.
    It's a very individual thing.

I love the cinema experience and will be gutted if it goes the way of the dinosaur. It's a wonderful, exciting, beautiful thing. Some of the best memories of my life are there.

But it's just not feasibly safe right now, or in the foreseeable future. And there's no guarantee it will be.

Ultimately, it seems to be a question of what matters more to us personally: the content (film), or the context (experience). And this is where I'm torn.

Because I don't want the cinematic experience to die, and yet there's no question for me personally, the content is dramatically more important to me, now, for No Time to Die.

That's just me personally. I've been waiting for this thing forever and now, with so much disrupted and so many other things put properly into perspective by the crisis, I just simply wouldn't care if I watched it at home. I just want to watch it.

I totally understand this within the context of this film. We've all been waiting a long time to see it and the multiple marketing ramp ups have teased it more than we're used to. If they put it on streaming tomorrow I'd gladly pay w/e they charged me to see it.

But that's obviously coming from a place of privilege and as a diehard Bond fan. Whoever buys MGM, along with EON, are not going to make that decision based on how many people on a Bond forum would pay to see it now. This movie could make a lot of money in a potential theatrical run whenever that does become safe and appetizing for the masses. As @Burgess said Tenet made some money from the box office and will still make plenty streaming and on VOD. They can always put it on streaming if the theatrical option is off the table, but until it is I don't see them handicapping their revenue in that way.
  • I used to love going to the cinema. You'd get the occasional noisy tw@t, but generally folk would want to watch a movie and appreciate all its immersive glory. Phones have killed the experience. Much like gigs too. People struggle to be present and appreciate the moment. Cinemas were literally magical places. Not now. Give me streaming and binge viewing. Let me consume media at my convenience.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I believe theatres won't die. When this pandemic is completely over people might be desperate to go to cinemas for film's like bond, marvels & fast & furious. But it will be a long time when that happens.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,518
    I used to love going to the cinema. You'd get the occasional noisy tw@t, but generally folk would want to watch a movie and appreciate all its immersive glory. Phones have killed the experience. Much like gigs too. People struggle to be present and appreciate the moment. Cinemas were literally magical places. Not now. Give me streaming and binge viewing. Let me consume media at my convenience.

And don't forget independent theatres, which here in Vancouver anyways always have a more respectful audience, no one constantly eating snacks and texting, and a more comfortable environment. They'll never replace the box office of big box theatre chains, of course, but maybe if they can sort out piracy, a combination of VOD and indie theatres could build their way up.

It's a strange time, but I don't see big theatre chains surviving. Even pre-CoViD.