No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited October 2020 Posts: 8,024
    belleswann wrote: »
    I really didn't like Ana saying how great paloma is and calling past bond girl's two-dimensional, it's just not true.

While I doubt she's saying that all past Bond girls were two-dimensional, she's absolutely right when it comes a lot of the Bond girls that were not the lead actresses. I mean, is there really much to describe about Manuela in MOONRAKER? The actress' IMDB profile pic is her being disrobed by Roger Moore. I think that's the kind of role Ana didn't want to take a part in.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Contraband wrote: »

Anton posted the link/locked article but the PDF came from me.

@MattiaDeVarti007 posted the PDF originally. It's two comments above yours.
    Since62 wrote: »
    OK, here's an idea...they've had the gunbarrel at the beginning for years. In Craig's films they've played around with it. How aboooouuuut -- MULTIPLE gunbarrels per film !??! Beginning, after the PTS, maybe again after the opening song and credits...put in an intermission for the first time and have one after that. Then, again, at the end, before the credits...and again after the credits. Here's how to keep it fresh -- come in from the other side of the screen, too ! Hey ! How 'bout that !??! Cue the complaining and moaning when at least one person now takes me seriously and asks what I'm on what I'm drinking, and picking apart the "idea." Look. They've been making these films for a long time. Changing some things up is quite reasonable to expect and even to enjoy ! I can just hear the Tradition song from Fiddler on the Roof coming up now...

It's an inspired deal. Eon gets what they want: chaos among Bond fans, and the residuals to the Maurice Binder estate increase many times.
    Brilliant.
    And I posted it last because I missed the first two and saw Creasy asking what the WSJ thing was all about.

I still deserve credit.

>:)
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Shoes: 007 James Bond x Adidas Ultra BOOST 20

https://houseofheat.co/adidas/adidas-rename-yeezy-releases/

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,944
    mtm wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    TheBondFan wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I like my gunbarrel right at the beginning but I'm a fan of cold opens, too. Hopefully it plays out well.

I must have missed something. Is it not at the beginning?

It seems like it may be between the opening Norway sequence and Matera.

Oh dear god. Just leave the gunbarrel at the beginning. And stop with the Bond-inspired studio logo music. Pure vanity. Nobody cares.

So far, there has not been a valid reason for moving it. All four films could have opened up with the gun barrel. Are they randomly picking times in each film to put the gun barrel in? I can’t wait for the film where it appears at 37 minutes and 25 seconds into the film. ;))

I think CR had a proper reason and it worked really well- it actually explained what that circle is (lots of people won't know) and in a way gave us an origin of the actual sequence. SF's reason was purely aesthetic and although I think they could have just planned around it it's sort of fine (although I do agree pretty unnecessary). QoS's is the worst I feel: there really is no reason, and what's worse is that they stuck it on the end so they could just repeat the 'Bond, James Bond' ending of CR because they had nothing better.
    @MakeshiftPython I'm guessing the Cary article came from my original post?

Antovolk posted it didn't they? And MattiaDeVarti007 posted the pdf.

@Contraband MattiaDeVarti007 posted the PDF before you did- you actually said in your post that you'd taken it from Dropbox, where Mattia had posted it. It's a bit silly to get proprietorial about who posted which thing taken from a magazine! :) You're very much appreciated around here for the stuff you bring us but you can't claim everything :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I really didn't like Ana saying how great paloma is and calling past bond girl's two-dimensional, it's just not true.

While I doubt she's saying that all past Bond girls were two-dimensional, she's absolutely right when it comes a lot of the Bond girls that were not the lead actresses. I mean, is there really much to describe about Manuela in MOONRAKER? The actress' IMDB profile pic is her being disrobed by Roger Moore. I think that's the kind of role Ana didn't want to take a part in.

I think what's quite interesting about that article regarding Paloma is that she's described as a bit of a rookie too, which I think is new information about her..?
  • belleswannbelleswann britain

But that's the part she has taken except with guns, she has like twelve minutes screentime but take that away I feel like in every interview she criticizes the past bonds and talks of how strong her character is in order to justify her being a part of one now.
    echo wrote: »
    TheBondFan wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I like my gunbarrel right at the beginning but I'm a fan of cold opens, too. Hopefully it plays out well.

I must have missed something. Is it not at the beginning?

It seems like it may be between the opening Norway sequence and Matera.

Oh dear god. Just leave the gunbarrel at the beginning. And stop with the Bond-inspired studio logo music. Pure vanity. Nobody cares.

So far, there has not been a valid reason for moving it. All four films could have opened up with the gun barrel. Are they randomly picking times in each film to put the gun barrel in? I can’t wait for the film where it appears at 37 minutes and 25 seconds into the film. ;))

I think CR had a proper reason and it worked really well- it actually explained what that circle is (lots of people won't know) and in a way gave us an origin of the actual sequence. SF's reason was purely aesthetic and although I think they could have just planned around it it's sort of fine (although I do agree pretty unnecessary). QoS's is the worst I feel: there really is no reason, and what's worse is that they stuck it on the end so they could just repeat the 'Bond, James Bond' ending of CR because they had nothing better.
    @MakeshiftPython I'm guessing the Cary article came from my original post?

Antovolk posted it didn't they? And MattiaDeVarti007 posted the pdf.

@Contraband MattiaDeVarti007 posted the PDF before you did- you actually said in your post that you'd taken it from Dropbox, where Mattia had posted it. It's a bit silly to get proprietorial about who posted which thing taken from a magazine! :) You're very much appreciated around here for the stuff you bring us but you can't claim everything :)

Fight fight fight!! :D

But that's the part she has taken except with guns, she has like twelve minutes screentime but take that away I feel like in every interview she criticizes the past bonds and talks of how strong her character is in order to justify her being a part of one now.

You haven't seen the movie yet.
    May I present some new production stills from Matera..

UdSge9b.jpg
    PQKLZRj.jpg
    AvUFXcv.jpg
    Omega NTTD spot. Not sure if this is a new one. It has a different edit

By her own admission her part is a cameo and i think the reason they keep showing the same footage of her over and over again in all the trailers is because that's all there is.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    edited October 2020 Posts: 469

Exactly.

I think she will probably be like one of the Brosnan Bond girls such as Wai Lin with her stunts and gunplay but she won't be anything exceptional - I'm always sceptical when actors try to pump up their characters so much with random buzzwords because it's often a red flag that the character really isn't that deep, and that rather than being written as a proper character they were born from a few words and molded around nothing else but that. The words 'stong' and 'funny' have really lost their meaning to me regarding the female characters as in pretty much 90% of material flogging the girls they've been thrown around again and again. Not to mention that most of PWB's current repoitre of jokes come down to 'character awkward/mouthy, now laugh' - she really is not that funny in my eyes.

I personally think Nomi will fit more of a role in between Jinx and pre-betrayal Alec Trevylan, being a rival to Bond initially but then becoming a close friend to him but likely without any sexual tension - she'll act more like an associate of Bond's such as Zukovsky.

Exactly.

I think she will probably be like one of the Brosnan Bond girls such as Wai Lin with her stunts and gunplay but she won't be anything exceptional - I'm always sceptical when actors try to pump up their characters so much with random buzzwords because it's often a red flag that the character really isn't that deep, and that rather than being written as a proper character they were born from a few words and molded around nothing else but that. The words 'stong' and 'funny' have really lost their meaning to me regarding the female characters as in pretty much 90% of material flogging the girls they've been thrown around again and again. Not to mention that most of PWB's current repoitre of jokes come down to 'character awkward/mouthy, now laugh' - she really is not that funny in my eyes.

I personally think Nomi will fit more of a role in between Jinx and pre-betrayal Alec Trevylan, being a rival to Bond initially but then becoming a close friend to him but likely without any sexual tension - she'll act more like an associate of Bond's such as Zukovsky.

I think that about Nomi as well and that Madeleine will be the one with the most interesting story.

By her own admission her part is a cameo and i think the reason they keep showing the same footage of her over and over again in all the trailers is because that's all there is.

That doesn’t refute my point.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 35

I really don't mean to sound snarky so apologies if it comes across this way but what is the point you are making.

I really don't mean to sound snarky so apologies if it comes across this way but what is the point you are making.

That Paloma is likely more infused with character than the other cameo type roles like Manuela. That example from MR is what I mean as a character with little to no personality, whereas I’m confident Paloma will be more memorable due to the writing and performance of the actor. A good example of how it’s done elsewhere is X-MEN DAYS OF FUTURE PAST where Quicksilver was basically a cameo, but he’s such a memorable part of the film despite his short running time.

That Paloma is likely more infused with character than the other cameo type roles like Manuela. That example from MR is what I mean as a character with little to no personality, whereas I’m confident Paloma will be more memorable due to the writing and performance of the actor. A good example of how it’s done elsewhere is X-MEN DAYS OF FUTURE PAST where Quicksilver was basically a cameo, but he’s such a memorable part of the film despite his short running time.

Understood 🙂 I just meant that plenty of bond girl's have been brilliant and some even with limited screentime like Severine made a true impact and you felt like you knew her character so having three dimensional bond girl's that really make an impression in the bond film's is nothing new.
    Certainly. Severine and Solange are pretty excellent recent examples of short term characters that you get to know about in a short amount of time. I can understand who they are, what their circumstances are, and what their motives are. Hopefully Paloma is more along the lines of them rather than bad examples like Strawberry Fields, who just feels like she’s only there to give Bond to sleep with and be a sacrificial lamb in the most minimal sense.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Certainly. Severine and Solange are pretty excellent recent examples of short term characters that you get to know about in a short amount of time. I can understand who they are, what their circumstances are, and what their motives are. Hopefully Paloma is more along the lines of them rather than bad examples like Strawberry Fields, who just feels like she’s only there to give Bond to sleep with and be a sacrificial lamb in the most minimal sense.

Unfortunately, this is mostly the case. But Fields is also a fascinating study, whose presence in QoS is open to great interpretation, and I like that. We just have to start with the trenchcoat, in a part of the country that is in the midst of a drought. As Alice once said, "Curiouser and curiouser." I have my ideas on this but they're best saved for a different thread. ;)
    The Spy Command posted a Wall Street Journal article which pretty much spoiled the PTS.
    Fukunaga apparently screened the PTS for the Wall Street Journal article. Major spoiler I wish I hadn't read.

So why did you read the thing while the article containt spoiler alert warning inside ?
    New stills from Total Film's James Bond special issue out on friday

dchYE9Z.jpg
    cLoFZFj.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Great images. Lashana looks so cool in that shot as well :)
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Thanks @Contraband They're great images and @Denbigh is right Lashana looks bad ass there and I love the spiral staircase in the other shot. It reminds of the third man and those original concept drawings for Spectre and Blofled's lair
    New interview in a french magazine where Fukunaga defined himself like the "main writer" of the movie : https://www.commander007.net/2020/nttd-le-point-sur-la-promotion-15/
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Great images. Lashana looks so cool in that shot as well :)

And DC looks like he's taking a nap. LOL
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's fun. Do they have two cameras running on the plane shot there? I wonder if they're CGing in the canopy there or it's just not shut yet :)
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 820
    So Apple just launched the iPhone 12 with...you guessed it...playing in the background as the reveal music.

Zero chance of coincidence.

I can't, for the life of me, fathom a branding reason for doing this. It has to be a super on-the-nose declaration of their interest or possibly even an overt hint that a deal is actively being worked on.

Either way, it's clear something's in motion and the recent MI6-HQ article about the Bond 25 rollercoaster being far from over was indeed prescient.

I foresee two possibilities: another push of the film to (at least) November 2021 to facilitate all the (significant) machinations involved in such a large acquisition, or...

...the possibility that I'm overestimating their ability to bring it to market quickly via streaming platform after such a deal is/were struck. And we could be watching NTTD in our living rooms much sooner than you'd think.

Also possibly not a coincidence: Amazon invested $125 million this afternoon to acquire Eddie Murphy's "Coming to America 2" from Paramount for distribution on their Prime Video streaming platform. Is this a demonstration of their interest, as well? Or a countermove that reflects they know something we don't about their being out of the running for Bond?

AFAIK, it's the largest single film acquisition to date in the COVID era by a streamer, from a studio.

Exciting times, for all the wrong reasons. ;)
  • tonesmalones09tonesmalones09 Minneapolis
    Even if Apple does indeed acquire MGM, that would not mean NTTD is going to streaming.