Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I don’t think so @Pierce2Daniel, and actually the fanbase are excited for Battinson, it’s just the hardcore Ben Affleck fans that are still against him unfortunately, mainly because they like to throw their toys out of the pram.

I also think if The Batman doesn’t work out, I highly doubt he would then sign up for another franchise. Anyway, as much as I think Pattinson would be perfect, I’m loving what I’m seeing from his Batman and wish all the best for that film.

Also, the film seems to perfectly encompass what is successful when it comes to DC. The darker, edgier look at the word that lead to the success of Nolan’s trilogy and Joker, so I think it’ll be fine.

Honestly, I personally believe Callum Turner is the next best thing after Pattinson, but I’d also be interested to see Jackson-Cohen’s take on the character.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Jackson-Cohen could work. A bit Dracula-ish, but that's never a bad thing. Some are Dracula-ish, others are wimpy-twilight vampire-pattison-ish. I prefer the former. Just don't cut his hair in a spiky hay, makes him look ridiculously tall and, well, ridiculous. He looks better when stylised to look like he's in the 50s. Which works well nowadays too, IMO. Minus the watch and chain, that's how I dress daily, so I reckon it can work in 202...

e3174ed515338b65ec1e9bc92816a16e.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Actually, you just reminded me @Univex. The first thing I saw him in was that Dracula series, which unfortunately wasn’t that good at all.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Actually, you just reminded me @Univex. The first thing I saw him in was that Dracula series, which unfortunately wasn’t that good at all.

Wait, what Dracula series, the one with Claes Bang? EDIT: The one with Rhys Meyers, I see. Yes, that one sucked (pun intended).

Good memory, @Denbigh, I'd forgotten about that show. Didn't know were the pic I posted was from ;)

5b94beb42608fc36b7e2b793e5d190e6.jpg
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395
    How old Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don’t think so @Pierce2Daniel, and actually the fanbase are excited for Battinson, it’s just the hardcore Ben Affleck fans that are still against him unfortunately, mainly because they like to throw their toys out of the pram.

That's not even remotely true.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    That's not even remotely true.
    Which bit? If you mean about the Batfleck fans, it’s certainly somewhat true from what I’ve seen on Twitter especially. I’m sure there are some Batfleck fans that are happy to see what Pattinson’s gonna offer, but too many are ready to boycott just because it’s not Affleck.
    You Twitter fellas, how do you manage it? I mean, watching other people short and mostly unthought tirades all day long. I'd go mental. I can hardly cope here, I've admitted as much. But reading virulent splutters one after the other, and mass manipulated reactions that can almost remind me of the sieg heils screamed by the crowds at the olympics in Berlin back in 1936. I'd go effin mental. Anyway, hardly the place to rant about the social media. But fan bases on twitter must be insane, and this is just speculation by an uninformed party.

About Rhys-Meyers, @MSL49, he's 43 now, but I think he's back on the trouble wagon. He had some alcohol issues some years ago. Not the sort of thing EON want on their project, I assume.

• MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Univex wrote: »
    You Twitter fellas, how do you manage it? I mean, watching other people short and mostly unthought tirades all day long. I'd go mental. I can hardly cope here, I've admitted as much. But reading virulent splutters one after the other, and mass manipulated reactions that can almost remind me of the sieg heils screamed by the crowds at the olympics in Berlin back in 1936. I'd go effin mental. Anyway, hardly the place to rant about the social media. But fan bases on twitter must be insane, and this is just speculation by an uninformed party.

About Rhys-Meyers, @MSL49, he's 43 now, but I think he's back on the trouble wagon. He had some alcohol issues some years ago. Not the sort of thing EON want on their project, I assume.

Was he tested last time around?
    MSL49 wrote: »

Was he tested last time around?

Don't know, @MSL49. I reckon he was at some point.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 554
    Considering he was in Mission Impossible III the same year as CR, mayhaps EON might have seen him as a rival rather than a potential Bond.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131

I agree. Never been on Twitter and never will.

Jackson-Cohen might be worth a screen test.

Rhys-Meyers is a good actor.He was great in The Tudor’s and has screen presence. But he seems to be very troubled with substance abuse, if the press is to be believed.

I have absolutely no interest in seeing Pattison as Bond personally. DC and the Batman franchise can keep him.
    Jonathan Rhys-Myers 5' 9 3/4"...Too short, as you can see in any of his roles. Aside from height: As I understand it, his ship sailed some time ago in terms of consideration for Bond.
    Since62 wrote: »
    Jonathan Rhys-Myers 5' 9 3/4"...Too short, as you can see in any of his roles. Aside from height: As I understand it, his ship sailed some time ago in terms of consideration for Bond.

Ah right. Too short, I agree.
    Coincidentally -- Rhys-Myers and Henry Cavill appeared together in the TV show The Tudors
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland

I think Craig's height is the starting point for Bond actor.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,970
    I’m not arguing that 5’9 3/4 is too short, but does anyone really believe that Daniel is 5’10”? There are several scenes throughout his tenure that give away his actual height, one being the Body Worlds in CR and in QoS he reportedly wore lifts in several scenes.
    If I were a betting man I would wager that he is more in the 5’ 9” territory.
    Coincidentally -- Rhys-Myers and Henry Cavill appeared together in the TV show The Tudors

Yes that’s right. Rhys-Myers played King Henry VIII and Cavill played his friend the Duke of Suffolk. Great show....not exactly historically accurate, but very entertaining.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131
    talos7 wrote: »
    I’m not arguing that 5’9 3/4 is too short, but does anyone really believe that Daniel is 5’10”? There are several scenes throughout his tenure that give away his actual height, one being the Body Worlds in CR and in QoS he reportedly wore lifts in several scenes.

Yes I believe it based on press conference and red carpet events. He just looks average height on film. I never thought he looked short or tall. Which makes sense as 5ft 10in is UK average height for a man.

Honestly, I don’t think EON would have employed him if he was shorter.
    If -- with good reason since some overstatement in this category is traditional for actors and athletes shorter than 6' - you think the stated height for D Craig is taller than reality, then J Rhys-Myers might be even shorter than 5'9 3/4". In his roles, he does not seem at all tall. At any rate -- his moment of being "hot" and "on the rise" (no pun re: height intended) in his career, such that he might have been considered, passed. I recall his name being bandied about, but I think that was more by fans.

Of course, I'd be happy to be as tall and as handsome as many of the actors being named on these pages. However -- many of them look...rather...bland...Not distinctive, and, for some, not particularly handsome. I suppose this may invite some other commenters to jump and raise the ol' "James Blonde" and "James Bland" comments which were tossed by some "fans" of the films when Daniel "Craggy" Craig was named. But, really, he has a distinctive appearance and is handsome, in his comparatively craggy way. What I am trying to say about some of the young guys named on these pages is that they look somewhat run-of-the-mill. This is awfully subjective, and awfully superficial, but perhaps the following comparison is telling: Think of how John Gavin -- a replacement considered for DAF, known for his part in Psycho -- compared with Sean Connery. Gavin was a classically handsome gent. Somewhat reminiscent of Rock Hudson. But...not as distinctive as Connery, nor as charming as Moore. Fortunately, Gavin was a real, complete person and served his country and heritage well after acting. These ruminations usually lead me to thinking that the next actor to portray Bond might well be someone no one saw coming, so to speak.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Yes I believe it based on press conference and red carpet events. He just looks average height on film. I never thought he looked short or tall. Which makes sense as 5ft 10in is UK average height for a man.

Honestly, I don’t think EON would have employed him if he was shorter.

Well we can never know for sure; Barbara was/is very fond of him. Her clout helped him beat out Cavill and perhaps Julian McMahon, both taller actors. Even if a shade under 5'10" I think his acting prowess, and her being enamored, would compensate for 3/4 of an inch.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,947

It just doesn't matter to me either way. I don't think you can tell how tall someone is (especially not down to a quarter of an inch) when they're being projected twenty foot high. Some folk here are saying a guy is too tall when he's just an inch taller than Dalton- and if you ask me Dalton doesn't even look that tall in his Bond films. (Although weirdly in Hot Fuzz I think he does). It's the movies.

If Connery was being suggested we'd have a load of people saying how he's too tall, not English enough and too bald.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    And can't do an English accent! And those tattoos! Plus he's coming from a Disney film!
    As far as height there is obviously a cutoff point in both directions; both a 5’ or 7’ Bond would be ludicrous . The right pair of shoes can very realistically add 2 to 3 inches to an actor’s height; so, if the average height in the UK is 5’10, then even a talented 5’9 inch actor could convincingly pull it off.
    On the other end of the spectrum, anything over 6’4” would stat to be awkward.

With all of that said, I do think a taller actor is more suitable, with the sweet spot being
    5’11 to 6’’3”.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I met John Glen once and asked him who he thought should be the next Bond (this was during the Brosnan era). He said he thought Russell Crowe would be the best choice. I said he was too short. Glen answered that the solution was a shorter leading lady.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is he short? I have never once got that impression. I honestly don't see the fascination with height. And no, I'm not short; I'm slightly above average height.
    He's 5' 9 I think.

I am 6'2, and many of my closest friends just happen to be the same height. So anyone shorter than 6' seems short to me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Only if you stand next to them, surely?
    A quick google says he's 5'10.5" - obviously I've no idea if that's accurate but it hardly seems short. It's just the size of a man.

I remember being amazed when I saw Paul Merton and Jonathan Ross in the flesh somewhere (actually I think Ross was at the John Barry concert I went to!) to discover they're both very tall- I thought that never really came across on the telly.
    mtm wrote: »
    Only if you stand next to them, surely?
    A quick google says he's 5'10.5" - obviously I've no idea if that's accurate but it hardly seems short. It's just the size of a man.

I remember being amazed when I saw Paul Merton and Jonathan Ross in the flesh somewhere (actually I think Ross was at the John Barry concert I went to!) to discover they're both very tall- I thought that never really came across on the telly.

That's literally the point I am making.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Why the producer's never tested Moore for the parth?