No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Fast 9 is on 2nd of April. THEY CAN'T RELEASE BOTH ON THAT DATE.

Hadn't even thought of that. That would be a problem.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm sure F9 will be move again then.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Knew it would happen. Now I can say that even if it got released this year, I still wouldn't go and see it. And no, this isn't being salty, I wouldn't even go to see TLD on the big screen. This hasn't exactly been the best year of my life, and going to the cinema to see any film, is low on my list of priorities. So i'm not upset by this news.

Well said @MajorDSmythe

Thank you. :)

Out of curiosity, do we know how much has been spend on advertising so far?

Even if it's around $30 million (and that's just pure speculation) it's considerably less than any potential lost revenue from a diminished box office.

Because you think It Will be bigger in April then to release on VOD today?

Really?

No because I don't have a crystal ball. Neither do you. Neither do EON/MGM/Universal. And that's the point. Nobody knows what it's going to be like in 6 months time or 12 months or 2 years from now.

And that's exactly why it's so stupid to continue spending mkt money and push forward the release. All in the same day

Because they've been hoping for the best but also planning for the worst. I'm sure they've taken a day by day approach and have now decided to act that on the balance of probabilities, November I'd just not feasible anymore.

It's not how a business Is run.
    Today nothing changed from Yesterday or the day before.
    If It was feasible the day the launched the music video (that was actually Yesterday) than It Is today.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    I can't wait for Calvin Dyson's soul to be crushed again. He was particularly upbeat about this release date, too...
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    On a sidenote love the look of the logo they used for the announcement.
    That did give me a well-needed laugh. As before, I trust the judgment of the producers reacting to the information available and the current state. Tempus fugit, the calendar days have really been flying by. I'll support the film whenever it's released.

Well at least we now have something new to discuss, especially soundtrack.
    Looking forward to Amazon delivering my (pre-paid) CD next month. Yes, sarcasm.

And by the way, releasing It on VOD it's the most intelligent thing at this time, as Mulan showed
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,961
    Knew it would happen. Now I can say that even if it got released this year, I still wouldn't go and see it. And no, this isn't being salty, I wouldn't even go to see TLD on the big screen. This hasn't exactly been the best year of my life, and going to the cinema to see any film, is low on my list of priorities. So i'm not upset by this news.

Well said @MajorDSmythe

Even if it's around $30 million (and that's just pure speculation) it's considerably less than any potential lost revenue from a diminished box office.

Really?

No because I don't have a crystal ball. Neither do you. Neither do EON/MGM/Universal. And that's the point. Nobody knows what it's going to be like in 6 months time or 12 months or 2 years from now.

And that's exactly why it's so stupid to continue spending mkt money and push forward the release. All in the same day

Because they've been hoping for the best but also planning for the worst. I'm sure they've taken a day by day approach and have now decided to act that on the balance of probabilities, November I'd just not feasible anymore.

If It was feasible the day the launched the music video (that was actually Yesterday) than It Is today.

Well clearly it is, because this is a business. It’s not a computer, huge decisions aren’t taken instantaneously.

And yes, nothing changed in the world today. No major world leaders got the virus or went to hospital with it or anything ;)
    And by the way, releasing It on VOD it's the most intelligent thing at this time, as Mulan showed

I don't think Mulan did show that.
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Fast 9 is on 2nd of April. THEY CAN'T RELEASE BOTH ON THAT DATE.

Both are Universal releases, so I’m sure the company will push Fast 9 to accommodate 007.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I can see why people think all the promotion this week was a waste, but to be honest, it's still promotion for a film that is coming out - at some point.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 554
    NTTD right now is pretty much in the same position GE was in, if GE was a direct sequel to LTK, featured the return of Pam Bouvier, and had half the plot leaked nearly a year before it was released. This might have worked in 2019, it was a risk for 2020, and it's downright ludicrous after a six year gap. Not that EON could've predicted COVID, but it's the reality we're living with.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I’ve not been following that at all: have they released any figures associated with Mulan? I know streaming companies tend not to.
    I can see why people think all the promotion this week was a waste, but to be honest, it's still promotion for a film that is coming out - at some point.

Not a total waste, no. But "at some point" really isn't reassuring and people are easily irritated. Marketing is about the big picture, after all.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 630
    mtm wrote: »

Well said @MajorDSmythe

Really?

Well clearly it is, because this is a business. It’s not a computer, huge decisions aren’t taken instantaneously.

Oh yes right. Watch Marvel, Watch Eon, find the differences.
    Marvel->how It should be run.
    Eon->how It shouldn't

As @marketto007 said, why the podcast? Why the video? What are they going to give us on JBD in 3 days? A Spectre Trailer?

Come on, get your head out of the Sand, it's a disaster. It's how not to run a business 101
    No one is a bigger Bond fan than me. This year has seen me lose a friend, relative and even a neighbour to COVID. I’ve got a 14 year old son currently isolating in his room and I had it in April and continue to suffer some ongoing nerve pain issues. As much as cinema is a pleasurable bit of escapism and a significant global business, we need to keep each other safe. We’re entering a significant second wave here in the UK. Our R number only today has been increased and I’ve just seen the news about the President. So whilst it’s understandable to be frustrated, let’s keep it proportional and let’s all try and stay safe. Love to all my fellow Bond fans across the world and fingers crossed for April 2021.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming

Well said @MajorDSmythe

Really?

It's exactly how the movie business is run. A blockbuster of this size is a supertanker. A juggernaut. It doesn't just stop and turn on a sixpence. It takes months and months of planning promotion.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Not a total waste, no. But "at some point" really isn't reassuring and people are easily irritated. Marketing is about the big picture, after all.

Marketing is about making money, bottom line, and if even die-hard Bond fans aren’t sure about going to see it, and circumstances look to be turning worse in the months to come, then holding off until you can make money takes premium over marketing.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Five. Hours. Ago.

I say again. Five. Hours. Ago.

No one knows what the hell was going on. Abysmal.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 8,034

I’ve not been following that at all: have they released any figures associated with Mulan? I know streaming companies tend not to.

It didn't do well in China or in any of its international markets and while it did bring in a good number of new subscribers to Disney+, it didn't do enough to cover the $200m budget.

Marketing is about making money, bottom line, and if even die-hard Bond fans aren’t sure about going to see it, and circumstances look to be turning worse in the months to come, then holding off until you can make money takes premium over marketing.

Yes, I worked in marketing for a long time. It doesn't negate the wasted time of the last two weeks, unfortunately. I fear they may have cut off their nose to spite their face in terms of public opinion, but only time will tell.
    No Time To Die will not go straight to VOD. No chance. If EON are this dedicated to seeing a worldwide release, and if they want to have any hope of making their budget back, it's going out in Cinemas.

Mallory wrote: »

"That's how a business Is run"
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Regarding F9

Interestingly enough, this puts No Time to Die on the same weekend with Universal’s F9. I hear that the latter is bound to move. Universal is providing no comment on that release date change.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/no-time-to-die-delayed-to-easter-2021-1234590519/
    Does this mean everything else is to be delayed? Cause I can live without the film until April (damn, that's half a year from now), but I'd appreciate it if they'd release the soundtrack, books and the bloody documentary in the aforementioned dates, as a way to keep the enthusiasm going. Besides, I really don't want to have my money dangling in pre-ordered stuff that long.

Oh well, a single word came to mind, but I can't transcribe it. How much as this film been delayed, in total? Anyone?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

It didn't do well in China or in any of its international markets and while it did bring in a good number of new subscribers to Disney+, it didn't do enough to cover the $200m budget.

Cool, thanks. Interesting that they release that and yet the number of viewers of something on something like Netflix is kept a secret, I wonder what the story is there.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

They made a decision and made it public quickly? Would it have been better to keep the decision secret for a couple of weeks?
    edited October 2020 Posts: 554
    Univex wrote: »
    Does this mean everything else is to be delayed? Cause I can live without the film until April (damn, that's half a year from now), but I'd appreciate it if they'd release the soundtrack, books and the bloody documentary in the aforementioned dates, as a way to keep the enthusiasm going. Besides, I really don't want to have my money dangling in pre-ordered stuff that long.

Oh well, a single word came to mind, but I can't transcribe it. How much as this film been delayed, in total? Anyone?
    It's the fourth public delay, by my count.

#1: November 2019 > February 2020
    #2: February 2020 > April 2020
    #3: April 2020 > November 2020
    #4: this.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

They made a decision and made it public quickly? Would it have been better to keep the decision secret for a couple of weeks?

The decision should have been made before:

- Partners launched their marketing. Omega. DHL. Nokia. Bollinger etc. All for nothing.
    - Released the music video trailer
    - Released the podcast
    - Released the first parts of the score

All of which were in the last week. Some were yesterday!
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Univex wrote: »

It's the fourth public delay, by my count.

#1: November 2019 > February 2020
    #2: February 2020 > April 2020
    #3: April 2020 > November 2020
    #4: this.

Damn!