NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’m perfectly willing to wait til Nov 2021.
  • What if it ends up being delayed again beyond that? And so on and so forth?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    None of us are making the decisions. None of us are releasing a $200 million budget film hoping to make a profit. So these what if’s are meaningless. Coronavirus doesn’t care about us or EON. If a delay is inevitable, there’s nothing we can do about it.
    What if it ends up being delayed again beyond that? And so on and so forth?

Then we’ll keep waiting and be patient like adults.
  • Of course I’d prefer to see NTTD for the first time on the big screen and it’s going to be pretty weird not to, but @moneyofpropre2 raises good points: no one else in the theater to potentially ruin your experience checking their cell phone during a dark scene or narrating the movie to their seat partner or letting their kid kick the back of your seat, and you could play it all right back if you wanted to or watch it again the next night. Or replace your Spectre beer coaster, which must be pretty scuffed up by now, if it turns out not to be to your taste. It’ll be a different experience, that’s for sure, but perhaps not an entirely unwelcome one.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming

^ This
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 3,164
    There's valid arguments both for and against either option - sticking with November and delaying until later. And that's the thing. With NTTD specifically it really is a 50/50 thing (at the moment). But the tipping point is really gonna be if UK and Europe goes offline.

@DaltonCraig007 I would really suggest reading this re: the staggering release thing. A lot of people in the international exhibition industry have pushed this for Tenet and no doubt will push that narrative once more for Bond (as long as cinemas are open) https://www.screendaily.com/news/screendaily-talks-uk-exhibitors-urge-us-studios-to-release-their-films-in-worlds-open-cinemas/5151464.article You might not agree that's the right approach to "save cinemas" but there is a valid argument for it.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Bingo
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @antovolk A staggered release for NTTD would make a lot more sense than for Tenet - Bond is much more pure blockbuster entertainment, and is a very international-heavy franchise. My main (& only worry) is what will be the pandemic situation in November. Especially in Europe where Bond is very popular.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    antovolk wrote: »
    There's valid arguments both for and against either option - sticking with November and delaying until later. And that's the thing. With NTTD specifically it really is a 50/50 thing (at the moment). But the tipping point is really gonna be if UK and Europe goes offline.

This. EoN made a huge gamble, hoping for UE markets to keep stay open. Imagine if the pandemic spread in key markets will lead to theaters closing like one week before release, or even worse, one or two weeks after the film release. Catastrophic. Still, that’s a possibility. Governments doesn’t care about NTTD, obviously.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Not forgetting Universal now has a “three weeks to digital post cinema” arrangement, so the wait for VOD wont be long.
    Mallory wrote: »
    Not forgetting Universal now has a “three weeks to digital post cinema” arrangement, so the wait for VOD wont be long.

That's not likely gonna be a factor in play, this deal has only been struck specifically with AMC in the US (whether they've reached the same agreement with their international chains eg Odeon here in the UK is still unknown) and remember that MGM is the one releasing NTTD Stateside, not Universal.

But if the UK goes offline last minute (after tickets go on sale October 5).... I think they'll just plough on and pivot to PVOD where cinemas are closed in all honesty. Now is the time to delay, before tickets go on sale again, if they of course are planning to delay. But past that point the optics at the very least don't look good.

Can they? They may be handling the international distribution of the film, but it’s not really their film like FAST & FURIOUS 9 is.

Can they? They may be handling the international distribution of the film, but it’s not really their film like FAST & FURIOUS 9 is.

If the deal was reached for international territories with AMC, and more crucially the other major chains were on board (Cineworld has publicly decried the deal), then it's absolutely an option that they will likely take - though they aren't allowed to announce until week 2 of release.

The first film reported to go down this route is coming out in the US this weekend - Kajillionaire. A smaller speciality release like this can get away with the current deal effectively saying only AMC (out of the big chains who insist on the traditional theatrical window) can show it if they want to exercise the PVOD option. If it performs well, they drop the PVOD plan and expand to the other major chain cjnemas.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Each to their own. If someone wants to see it in the cinema, fine. If someone wants to see it at home, fine. I'm not going to judge either way or say someone is less of a fan or not. That's ludicrous.

Personally, I'm all for seeing it in the cinema and was planning to, but with the current resurgence if they insist on releasing it in November I'll be avoiding it until it goes on bluray. There's too much for me to risk with underlying health conditions and living with those that would potentially be hospitalised. Couple that with being a glasses wearer having to sit there with a mask and fogged up glasses for a couple of hours sounds like a miserable experience.

At this point I really don't care about waiting. I have other things in life to occupy myself with.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    00Heaven wrote: »
    Each to their own. If someone wants to see it in the cinema, fine. If someone wants to see it at home, fine. I'm not going to judge either way or say someone is less of a fan or not. That's ludicrous.

Agreed, enough with the gatekeeping. If someone says they're not interested in watching a Bond movie if it comes out straight on PVOD/streaming/Blu Ray it's totally up to them.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,247
    James Bond Day isn't far-off any more. It should tell us a lot about November.
  • I wasn't suggesting that the film still come out in November (although I obviously want it to the most out of all these situations.) My suggestion was starting from possibly January and going through the year from there - I know this is all just a hypothesis but it's what I came up with.
  • Personally I don't care to see it in cinemas : I be rather at home, with no people who do noise like by eating popcorn & with no mask that prevent me to see what on the screen cause the mist on the glasses. And the fact I could see it unlimited times, pause the movie to go toilet, pause the movie to analyse a shoot.

Regardless of whether NTTD opens in November or not, for me the cinema experience has diminished because of the behavior of some cinemagoers. Talking, rustling, fidgeting, eating, checking phones, come in with a pint of beer....surprise, surprise off to the toilet before the movie ends.

I still have some positive experiences at the cinema but increasingly one or more of the above issues reduces the enjoyment.

• SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Personally, at this point I feel safe in german cinemas and will, if it will be out in November, go and see it in the theater. But everything is so much in flux right now, nearly daily the government adds new „high risk areas“ and so on - so right now it‘s unpredictable what the situation will be in November.

I saw Tenet but it was sad to see how empty the cinema was. If I were EoN or MGM I would not risk it to be honest. The only encouraging factor really is that everything else was moves out of the way for NTTD have a long run and - if cinemas are open like currently they are here - many screens (more than usual) to show the movie.
    I don‘t envy them at all having to make that decision.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,690
    The cinema experience has actually greatly improved for me since the post-Covid-19 reopening.

There's barely 5 other cinemagoers at whatever film I've seen. So the popcorn munching & loud talkers have completely deserted theaters; from my personal experience.

This summer I've been able to see Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Mississippi Burning, No Country for Old Men, Django Unchained, Deadpool, The Avengers, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Guardians of the Galaxy, La Haine, Memento, The Prestige, Dunkirk, Inception, Moonrise Kingdom, Akira and BlackKklansman. And each time I was basically alone, apart from a few other spectators.

I wonder how long EON can financially afford to postpone it
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I think it‘s more MGM who are in trouble here. Afaik (please correct me if I am wrong) EoN got all money for actually producing the movie. So no loss there but maybe less income from less boxoffice. But they still participate in DVD/VoD/BluRay sales. So maybe they make less money - but if if my understanding is correct, MGM is the party in deep trouble here.
    its why I wish the film came out November last year because then we would just wonder if there
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 631
    Cinemas cannot wait indefinitely.

Now that Tenet appears to have failed to bring in the huge audiences that people were hoping for, cinemas are even more desperate for ticket sales to keep them afloat.
    Cinemas cannot wait indefinitely.

Now that Tenet appears to have failed to bring in the huge audiences that people were hoping for, cinemas are even more desperate for ticket sales to keep them afloat.

Was Tenet's BO disappointment due to the pandemic, or the fact that it's too complicated? or has poor word of mouth?

I would rather watch NTTD in cinemas. But if they want to release it on time via streaming. I'd watch it.
  • I would rather watch NTTD in cinemas. But if they want to release it on time via streaming. I'd watch it.
    That's my position on this (though more on the DVD side than streaming).
  • Cinemas cannot wait indefinitely.

Was Tenet's BO disappointment due to the pandemic, or the fact that it's too complicated? or has poor word of mouth?

Probably all those factors and more.

Tenet’s disappointing box office means that cinemas do not have as much money in the bank as they had hoped. Which means (a) the bankruptcy of some chains is ever so slightly closer, and (b) forthcoming movie releases have to be even more successful than anticipated, in order to make up for the shortfall caused by Tenet.

Let’s say I’m in a business where I make widgets. I have to make a set amount of income from sales of widgets or I go bust. My hopes are riding on two new blockbuster widget products. I release widget A, hoping for success, but the market gives a resounding ‘meh.’ What does that mean?

Well it means widget B now has to be an even bigger success than I had planned, in order to make up for widget A’s failure, or I go bust.

This is the situation that I think many cinemas are in. Tenet hasn’t saved them so they are desperate now. Cinemas need NTTD and they need it now
    00Heaven wrote: »

Personally, I'm all for seeing it in the cinema and was planning to, but with the current resurgence if they insist on releasing it in November I'll be avoiding it until it goes on bluray. There's too much for me to risk with underlying health conditions and living with those that would potentially be hospitalised. Couple that with being a glasses wearer having to sit there with a mask and fogged up glasses for a couple of hours sounds like a miserable experience.

At this point I really don't care about waiting. I have other things in life to occupy myself with.

Im a glasses wearer too but i avoided that problem by wearing my contact lenses the night i went to see Tenet.As it happens i didnt really need to as masks off were allowed during the show ( Masks were worn entering and leaving the theater ).
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Glass wearer here, I use cotton masks and I have no problems. Though I do get a headache if I wear it for over 3 hours.