Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited September 2020 Posts: 395
    mtm wrote: »
    Roger Moore didn't really have any of the qualifications apart from being an old school handsome leading man, but he was a natural star so he made it his own.
    Pierce Brosnan fit's in that too. I think they should take that direction with next Bond.

Denbigh wrote: »
    I know this won't matter to some, but according to Grace Randolph, who had checked with some of her sources, the Tom Hardy rumours are not true. Again, I know this won't be deemed worthwhile by some.
    For too many, research and cross checking ain't worth a candle to what they heard.
    I know Hardy wont be bond but since he was one of my top 5 choices I figured why not enjoy the rumor for a bit
    I know this won't matter to some, but according to Grace Randolph, who had checked with some of her sources, the Tom Hardy rumours are not true. Again, I know this won't be deemed worthwhile by some.

Did she say she liked it that it wasn't true? Cause if she did, I'm considering changing my feelings towards Grace. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Univex wrote: »
    Did she say she liked it that it wasn't true? Cause if she did, I'm considering changing my feelings towards Grace. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship ;)
    Haha not really she just said she didn't think they were true before she checked with her sources because they're not gonna cast the role while Craig is technically James Bond, and that she'd prefer someone like Henry Cavill if he's not gonna be Superman again.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Julian Glover.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 6,677
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Julian Glover.

...is 85 years old.

He was already old when he played Aristotle Kristatos.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Univex wrote: »
    Julian Glover.

...is 85 years old.

He was already old when he played Aristotle Kristatos.

I mean even before he played Kristatos.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Charles Dance.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Charles Dance.
    Should be a villain or a future M.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Charles dance said he turned down James Bond, after Moore left.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 15,801
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    This Tom Hardy rumour is making me believe Waller-Bridge has already written Bond 26.

Me, too. Fukunaga is set to come back and filming begins in January for a November 2021 release. Title to be announced during the end credits of NTTD.

Damn that would be nice.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    This Tom Hardy rumour is making me believe Waller-Bridge has already written Bond 26.

Me, too. Fukunaga is set to com back and filming begins in January for a November 2021 release. Title to be announced during the end credits of NTTD.

Damn that would be nice.

Very rare dream, indeed :)
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Me, too. Fukunaga is set to com back and filming begins in January for a November 2021 release. Title to be announced during the end credits of NTTD.

Damn that would be nice.

it's The Hildebrand Rarity.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England

As much as I like Tom Hardy, he’s more at home being the bad guy. The whole him playing Bond rumours made it to that comic tabloid the Daily Star.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited September 2020 Posts: 7,314
    As much as Barbara loves Craig, I'd think she'd still ask him back if NTTD was a huge success! If anything, just out of the respect she has for him, I wouldn't think she'd upstage him two months before his swansong by casting his replacement.

Of course, if they have already come to an agreement that this is absolutely, positively curtains for DC, then maybe they have secretly auditioned Hardy behind the scenes and it leaked to their chagrin. Perhaps that's why they are so adamant about the November release date. It's got me thinking.

I don't prefer Hardy as Bond, and I still don't think this is true, but there are far worse choices out there.
    Not long ago -- in terms of the number of films -- at the end of the film, M asked Bond whether Bond was ready for a mission. That moment seemed to me at the time, and even now, though not followed, a declaration that the stories to come would return to the one-adventure-at-a-time-without-such-strong-continuity-between-the-films model. I think they may go back to that with the new actor in the role. Not that they'll go back to the level of humor and silliness evident in the Pierce Brosnan films and, moreso, the Roger Moore films, but I think they'll go back to the "one-at-a-time" stories. They need not do what some call a "hard reboot." They would not necessarily be following the Craig stories, either. I think they'll just do what they used to do -- new Bond, new film. That's it. Nothing complicated. Nothing to explain. Even if they do a "hard reboot" they need not connect the stories to each other for that actor in one-long-story-arc way, either. All this is set forth to support the idea that the next set of films may be a return to a somewhat-more-lighthearted (say, to the tone of the first four Connery films) tone and approach. People might think that if Hardy were to portray Bond, it would be a heavy, serious, brooding Bond. I even like the idea of a semi-villainous Bond. Could Hardy do a "fun-Bond" ? Of course ! Venom was a goofy, fun movie, even with the violence. Not that I know, but I think that as part of the change I've described above they will get back to tall, dashing and handsome. The reason I think Cavill -- who was last week's "sure thing", you may recall, having supposedly been chosen "by AI", so please don't lay any large bets on this week's "sure thing" -- will not be chosen is that he already took a shot at this sort of role. (In fact -- The Man From UNCLE was an Ian Fleming idea. He even proposed character names, as well as devised an organization, in UNCLE, that is rather SPECTRE-like, except they're the good folks) I enjoyed The Man From UNCLE film, a LOT, but it seems I was not joined by millions of other folks. You didn't see a second one made, did you ? I don't think it was Cavill's fault, nor anyone else in the SUPERB cast. (Personally, I think: A-It was too realistic, and you may recall the TV show was fun very much because it was fantastical, not realistic B-it was too dark and dreary, literally -- in much of the lighting. This goes along with "too realistic." C-It was weak as far as failing to present a clearly identifiable, in-charge Lead Villain. They should have put E Debicki's character squarely in charge and ramped up her villainy...in fact -- maybe have her survive or leave it vague enough to be plausible, yet have Napoleon Solo drawn to her, despite what he knows about her.)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've been wondering if there was any real meat to these rumors or it was more of the same posturing and unlabeled "inside sources" dictating a non-story. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Hardy as Bond, though he's already nearly in his mid-40s so there's no way his era would last long if they can't crank these out every other year like they've failed to do since 2008.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,934
    Since62 wrote: »
    Not long ago -- in terms of the number of films -- at the end of the film, M asked Bond whether Bond was ready for a mission. That moment seemed to me at the time, and even now, though not followed, a declaration that the stories to come would return to the one-adventure-at-a-time-without-such-strong-continuity-between-the-films model. I think they may go back to that with the new actor in the role. Not that they'll go back to the level of humor and silliness evident in the Pierce Brosnan films and, moreso, the Roger Moore films, but I think they'll go back to the "one-at-a-time" stories. They need not do what some call a "hard reboot." They would not necessarily be following the Craig stories, either. I think they'll just do what they used to do -- new Bond, new film. That's it. Nothing complicated. Nothing to explain. Even if they do a "hard reboot" they need not connect the stories to each other for that actor in one-long-story-arc way, either. All this is set forth to support the idea that the next set of films may be a return to a somewhat-more-lighthearted (say, to the tone of the first four Connery films) tone and approach. People might think that if Hardy were to portray Bond, it would be a heavy, serious, brooding Bond. I even like the idea of a semi-villainous Bond. Could Hardy do a "fun-Bond" ? Of course ! Venom was a goofy, fun movie, even with the violence. Not that I know, but I think that as part of the change I've described above they will get back to tall, dashing and handsome. The reason I think Cavill -- who was last week's "sure thing", you may recall, having supposedly been chosen "by AI", so please don't lay any large bets on this week's "sure thing" -- will not be chosen is that he already took a shot at this sort of role. (In fact -- The Man From UNCLE was an Ian Fleming idea. He even proposed character names, as well as devised an organization, in UNCLE, that is rather SPECTRE-like, except they're the good folks) I enjoyed The Man From UNCLE film, a LOT, but it seems I was not joined by millions of other folks. You didn't see a second one made, did you ? I don't think it was Cavill's fault, nor anyone else in the SUPERB cast.

I have to agree with Kermode's assessment of the cast to be honest:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/aug/11/the-man-from-uncle-review-style-paired-with-deathly-boring-substance

"And the two male leads, Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer, are fantastically dull and uncharismatic, with all the sexy danger of a pair of M&S men’s underwear models, easily upstaged by their cheerfully pert co-star Alicia Vikander. And in fact all three are entirely outclassed by an airy cameo from Hugh Grant as the dry British intelligence chief Waverly, giving one-and-all an object lesson in scene-stealing."

Cavill is a bit dull in it for my tastes. I think Hammer is a little better but they're still not a hugely impressive pair, and as Kermode says, blown off the screen by Grant. You can't Bond being upstaged by M. Compare to Guy Richie's buddy leads in his other big blockbustery series Sherlock Holmes, and you can see that one has proper movie stars in and the other has a couple of good looking guys there, moving their lips a bit.

I liked the film for taking a little of the flavour of Italian 60s spy movies though, you don't see many doing that.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,869
    God I wish Christopher Abbott was British haha :D

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-10.26.12.jpg?fit=894%2C472
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Again, my vote is for Madden, Richard Madden.

50374635082_fd642bd6fd_b.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's a good photo of him, even if I'm not sure about the dyed hair! :)

He wasn't offered the role, but an audition, which he turned down.

ColonelSun wrote: »

Yeah, true.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,352

I wonder how many actors have had a audition or been considered for bond since 1962.
    100's ?
  • Stick a goatee on Madden and we've our new Hugo Drax.

I wonder how many actors have had a audition or been considered for bond since 1962.
    100's ?

Eon's casting directors throw out a wide net. Many years ago, when I was just 20, I was an assistant editor on a big TV series, Paradise Postponed, and one of the supporting actors, a good looking chap (can't recall his name now) was asked to do an audition on tape. I remember he was so pleased, he bought the producer flowers and the entire editing team fish and chips lunch because we had supplied Eon with some footage of him from our show. Sadly, for him, he didn't advance further in the auditioning process. So, to answer your question, yes, they turn over every stone and audition dozens, if not hundreds (over time), for the role of Bond.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,934

100's ?

Eon's casting directors throw out a wide net. Many years ago, when I was just 20, I was an assistant editor on a big TV series, Paradise Postponed, and one of the supporting actors, a good looking chap (can't recall his name now) was asked to do an audition on tape. I remember he was so pleased, he bought the producer flowers and the entire editing team fish and chips lunch because we had supplied Eon with some footage of him from our show. Sadly, for him, he didn't advance further in the auditioning process. So, to answer your question, yes, they turn over every stone and audition dozens, if not hundreds (over time), for the role of Bond.

That's really interesting, do you remember when that was? I'm curious if that was in one the times where a Bond actor had finished and they needed a new one or whether they're always looking. Sounds like it must have been for Living Daylights? I'm going to guess it was maybe Dominic Jephcott?
    mtm wrote: »

100's ?

That's really interesting, do you remember when that was? I'm curious if that was in one the times where a Bond actor had finished and they needed a new one or whether they're always looking. Sounds like it must have been for Living Daylights? I'm going to guess it was maybe Dominic Jephcott?

Yeah, it was for TLD. Not long after, I was having lunch with my boss, editor John Shirley (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, LALD, TMWTGG) at a pub near Pinewood Studios when Tony Waye, who knew John and was TLD line producer, came over and told us Pierce Brosnan had been cast as Bond. About a week later this news was announced in Screen International, but, as we know, it was not to be - at that time. I went on to later assist editor John Grover on LTK, and several other films with him after that.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Great- thanks, fun story. :)

Yes I think they looked at an awful lot more actors for Bond 15 than we've heard about: I remember Michael Praed a couple of years ago saying he got pretty close to it (although obviously that's his version of events), and he doesn't appear on many of the lists of candidates we knew of. Plus, as you say, there are all of the guys they just made enquiries about and went no further.