Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited September 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Is anyone talking about Paul Mescal? He's young, buzzy, and popular. He's certainly looking more and more Bondian each time I've seen him. I've only seen a brief clip of him in Normal People and he seems like a good actor, and I've seen him in interviews where he is charming.

gettyimages-1275867674.jpg
    Ehj625-XgAA0gNY.jpg

Also, though I do acknowledge is a little more 'out there' but Harry Styles has become a very buzzworthy actor. He's booked two big projects for next year. He's probably too big a name to be Bond. But he was considered for Han Solo. So perhaps it's not that crazy a suggestion. He's filming a Bond-esque music video in Italy at the moment....He has a look of a young Leonardo DiCaprio.

MV5BZjc2OGZiZmEtMmU5ZC00MDU2LTlhMzYtMTc2YjQxYzU1OTEzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExMjE5OTM@._V1_.jpg
    EioOA9hXYAEeOgQ?format=jpg&name=900x900
    EipNeaeWkAA_9-B?format=jpg&name=medium
    EipNeadXgAId8B2?format=jpg&name=900x900
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,869
    @Pierce2Daniel I think the problem with both is that they're too young. Paul is only 24, and Harry is only 26. Although I don't think they'll ever consider Harry Styles, for obvious reasons. Yes, he's getting into acting, (can't wait to see him opposite Florence Pugh and Dakota Johnson), but I think he'd need to fully abandon his music to become James Bond, which I doubt will happen. I can't them having a huge music star play James Bond.

Paul is really good in Normal People, but is only just getting his foot in the door acting wise, and is and looks really young. I mean I'm only older than Paul by a few of months and I really can't see EON going for anyone our age.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited September 2020 Posts: 395
    I think he is too young and unexperiensed.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Is anyone talking about Paul Mescal? He's young, buzzy, and popular. He's certainly looking more and more Bondian each time I've seen him. I've only seen a brief clip of him in Normal People and he seems like a good actor, and I've seen him in interviews where he is charming.

gettyimages-1275867674.jpg
    Ehj625-XgAA0gNY.jpg

Also, though I do acknowledge is a little more 'out there' but Harry Styles has become a very buzzworthy actor. He's booked two big projects for next year. He's probably too big a name to be Bond. But he was considered for Han Solo. So perhaps it's not that crazy a suggestion. He's filming a Bond-esque music video in Italy at the moment....He has a look of a young Leonardo DiCaprio.

MV5BZjc2OGZiZmEtMmU5ZC00MDU2LTlhMzYtMTc2YjQxYzU1OTEzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExMjE5OTM@._V1_.jpg
    EioOA9hXYAEeOgQ?format=jpg&name=900x900
    EipNeaeWkAA_9-B?format=jpg&name=medium
    EipNeadXgAId8B2?format=jpg&name=900x900

No thanks - Harry Styles is overrated.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    @Pierce2Daniel I think the problem with both is that they're too young. Paul is only 24, and Harry is only 26. Although I don't think they'll ever consider Harry Styles, for obvious reasons. Yes, he's getting into acting, (can't wait to see him opposite Florence Pugh and Dakota Johnson), but I think he'd need to fully abandon his music to become James Bond, which I doubt will happen. I can't them having a huge music star play James Bond.

Paul is really good in Normal People, but is only just getting his foot in the door acting wise, and is and looks really young. I mean I'm only older than Paul by a few of months and I really can't see EON going for anyone our age.

At this rate they might have the right age when a new Bond is cast.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Just watched The True History of the Kelly Gang and now would put Nicholas Hoult as my favourite out of all the contenders. He's British, 6'2, has some bulk, can act, has a profile that's not too big or too small, he'll commit to a franchise (X-Men), is handsome, looks like Fleming's Bond enough, is likeable, but can play it cold, can do arrogance.

He's young looking. But people look younger these days. If we want Bond to look like he's got some age to him, then we are going to have to accept that it's only likely to be actors in their forties that can do that.

It was The Kelly Gang film that swing it for me, because in that he is cold and arrogant and doesn't come across as young. There is a manly maturity about him.
    Yep, Nic Hoult is one of my favs as well.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Just watched The True History of the Kelly Gang and now would put Nicholas Hoult as my favourite out of all the contenders. He's British, 6'2, has some bulk, can act, has a profile that's not too big or too small, he'll commit to a franchise (X-Men), is handsome, looks like Fleming's Bond enough, is likeable, but can play it cold, can do arrogance.

He's young looking. But people look younger these days. If we want Bond to look like he's got some age to him, then we are going to have to accept that it's only likely to be actors in their forties that can do that.

It was The Kelly Gang film that swing it for me, because in that he is cold and arrogant and doesn't come across as young. There is a manly maturity about him.

He's the one I'd possibly say is the most likely, yes, mostly because of his film experience.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 6,677
    To think that Marcus of About a Boy could very well be Bond. What a world, eh? Hey, I'm all for it. And he's worked with Tom Ford, so the passing of the suits would work out nicely ;)
  • Hoult ticks all the boxes - dashing looks, great experience across a variety of movie genres and directors, holds the screen opposite powerhouse actors, can play both polished and unhinged, and is a genuinely likeable fellow.

I'd say he's the best candidate from the under-30 bunch, and should be considered for Bond 26, unless of course some other big franchise grabs him for a leading role in the next few years.
    Hoult ticks all the boxes - dashing looks, great experience across a variety of movie genres and directors, holds the screen opposite powerhouse actors, can play both polished and unhinged, and is a genuinely likeable fellow.

I'd say he's the best candidate from the under-30 bunch, and should be considered for Bond 26, unless of course some other big franchise grabs him for a leading role in the next few years.

Although not actually under 30, but 30, which for me is actually the minimal acceptable age considering the film won't be happening anytime soon, but probably not that distant that we should look at under-30s. One really important aspect, that Craig doesn't have and that's ok because he's Craig, is eyebrows, and Hoult has them in spades. And he has a good voice as well, as long as he's not singing Killing me Softly.
  • Univex wrote: »
    Hoult ticks all the boxes - dashing looks, great experience across a variety of movie genres and directors, holds the screen opposite powerhouse actors, can play both polished and unhinged, and is a genuinely likeable fellow.

Although not actually under 30, but 30, which for me is actually the minimal acceptable age considering the film won't be happening anytime soon, but probably not that distant that we should look at under-30s. One really important aspect, that Craig doesn't have and that's ok because he's Craig, is eyebrows, and Hoult has them in spades. And he has a good voice as well, as long as he's not singing Killing me Softly.

I suppose Craig does not tick all the boxes!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,928
    And as I posted last time his name came up, this perfume ad has him doing the usual perfume ad things which overlap quite a bit with Bond style things: posing, looking confident, romancin', suit-wearin', sportscar drivin':

Considering we know he's a very good actor who can easily hold his own in big movies, I think he's got to be right up towards the top of the list.
    Univex wrote: »

Thing is, he doesn't have to. Charisma trumps it. Although that particular verb just doesn't sound right these days, does it? To "trump" something. Quite the opposite in fact. But I digress :D
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited September 2020 Posts: 395
    I think Theo James had made some ad's too.
    MSL49 wrote: »

And he's got a brilliantly low voice. And good eyebrows ;) But somehow he reminds me of Rupert Everett. Must be the long face. Still, not a bad choice.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Thing is, he doesn't have to. Charisma trumps it. Although that particular verb just doesn't sound right these days, does it? To "trump" something. Quite the opposite in fact. But I digress :D

+1.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    MSL49 wrote: »

And he's got a brilliantly low voice. And good eyebrows ;) But somehow he reminds me of Rupert Everett. Must be the long face. Still, not a bad choice.

But not the best either.

i dont care he is in i guess 60's 70's the man needs to be bond in one film dam it!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don't think that'll happen; as you mention too old - but also incredibly problematic. I'm sure people haven't forgotten his controversial statements.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't think that'll happen; as you mention too old - but also incredibly problematic. I'm sure people haven't forgotten his controversial statements.

Not really that problematic. If they were, he wouldn't still be leading mid-budget actioners.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Not really that problematic. If they were, he wouldn't still be leading mid-budget actioners.
    Problematic enough to get backlash as Bond though I think. Mid-budget action is easy to go over people’s heads these days.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Risico007 wrote: »

i dont care he is in i guess 60's 70's the man needs to be bond in one film dam it!

I was watching a 1991 film of his last week where he plays a 50's Brighton private eye (Under Suspicion) which was pretty fun, and I did think about whether he should have done Bond at the time. He's a pretty good star so I think he'd have been very decent at it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Problematic enough to get backlash as Bond though I think. Mid-budget action is easy to go over people’s heads these days.

What statements?
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Risico007 wrote: »

Congrats to Liam for getting the role.
    Irish eyes are smiling............. :)>-
    As ridiculous as it sounds I'd probably actually prefer Neeson now as an older Bond for one outing than most of the names mentioned on this thread.
    I feel modern era Neeson could easily annihilate Timothee Chalamet .
    No doubt. It would be like Connery taking on Truman-Lodge.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    As ridiculous as it sounds I'd probably actually prefer Neeson now as an older Bond for one outing than most of the names mentioned on this thread.

Neeson is a big dude. 6' 4" (1.93 m) according to imdb.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

We've already got a film with an older Bond out for one more outing. It's just that we haven't seen it yet.

We've already got a film with an older Bond out for one more outing. It's just that we haven't seen it yet.

That's right!

I think after a full era of novice to retired Bond, I'd like the next era to simply be Bond in his prime. Have him start mid to late thirties and continue for a decade with a new film every 2 years.