NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Why is it dangerous to be in the cinema after ten pm? What happens then?

I heard corona virus is nocturnal
  • zb007zb007 UK
    antovolk wrote: »
    Which is exactly what Tenet tried.
    If they were to pull the plug and move it, we'll probably know by the first or second week in October which would be one month prior to release in the UK to my understanding.

Could they not announce that any day though
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited September 2020 Posts: 3,157

Not only that, but apparently all social network and social media posts related to After We Collided are enthusiastic and everyone mentions that they're looking forward to watching it at the movie theatre or had a blast at the cinema. Yet whenever Bond or Tener are mentioned everyone begins crying that it's an irresponsible thing to do.

So it's not just a matter of timetable, covid is more or less dangerous depending on what you're going to see.
    Different audiences and different outlooks on what's safe and what's not....
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Do we reckon they’ll wait until James Bond Day to announce another delay?
  • Why is it dangerous to be in the cinema after ten pm? What happens then?

Why is it dangerous to be in a bar or restaurant after 10 pm. What happens then?

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Seems like the UK is addressing venues where folks closely gather creating risk.

That's not how theaters are being managed now. They've addressed the risk.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Why is it dangerous to be in a bar or restaurant after 10 pm. What happens then?

As folks get drunker, there is more spit flying around. That one I can understand, but the cinema rule is arbitrary idiocy.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,690
    It is vey easy to social distance in theaters when there's barely 10 tickets sold per showing. At least from personal experience. Even on the opening night of Tenet, barely 30% seats were taken. 30% of the 50% allowed capacity, that is. Which is the must packed audience I have seen since theaters reopened in June.

The interesting question is how many cinemas still be opened by November if we have no big release for another month? Tenet's poor numbers are really hurting theaters in the US. In my local cinema attendance has gone way down again since Tenet is no longer a hot new product (has been released for 4 weeks now).
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 3,164
    jake24 wrote: »
    Do we reckon they’ll wait until James Bond Day to announce another delay?

James Bond Day is when tickets are reportedly due to go on sale so if any change in release plan happens we should know by then (unless they want a repeat of the March situation in the case something does happen)

@Thunderfinger worth clarifying that the 10pm rule doesn't apply to cinemas and theaters, performances can run past 10pm - though seemingly can't start after 10 (so there's consistency across all hospitality and entertainment)

Very bad things, you don't to want know. I heard dozen of dozen bad stories of men (and even children) was were eating some food at table, some even with forks! The legend that after 10 pm, when Big Ben ring, COVID particules suddely spread out their mouth and are not being destroyed by sun beam. Horribles stories, people who survived it told.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited September 2020 Posts: 3,157
    the cinema rule is arbitrary idiocy.

+1

Very bad things, you don't to want know. I heard dozen of dozen bad stories of men (and even children) was were eating some food at table, some even with forks! The legend that after 10 pm, when Big Ben ring, COVID particules suddely spread out their mouth and are not being destroyed by sun beam. Horribles stories, people who survived it told.

:))
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    It seems like some theaters in the USA are going to start closing on weekdays given Tenet's terrible box office numbers & the lack of new wide-releases. And this decision could be put in place as early as next week.
    In some business scenarios, you have to realise that, rather than make a profit, you are trying to make the smallest loss possible. I wonder if EON have reached this point yet? It's such a fast moving situation that it's virtually impossible to make "the right decision".
  • My prediction for NTTD box office take : 300 million. I think it will definitely be a slow rollout to theatres in different markets.
    Tenet just passed 250 million the other day, so I'm thinking by January we would hit that mark.
    My prediction for NTTD box office take : 300 million. I think it will definitely be a slow rollout to theatres in different markets.
    Tenet just passed 250 million the other day, so I'm thinking by January we would hit that mark.

$300 million would make NTTD the 24th highest grossing Bond film in the franchise, with only LTK below it. Adjusted for inflation, that is. Tenet should finish above $300 million, so I would hope NTTD will at least cross $400 million, so it can also beat AVTAK and TLD to come near the top 20 highest grossing Bond films.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    My prediction for NTTD box office take : 300 million. I think it will definitely be a slow rollout to theatres in different markets.

$300 million would make NTTD the 24th highest grossing Bond film in the franchise, with only LTK below it. Adjusted for inflation, that is. Tenet should finish above $300 million, so I would hope NTTD will at least cross $400 million, so it can also beat AVTAK and TLD to come near the top 20 highest grossing Bond films.

Whats the break even point for EON?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Another day another post from the 007 Twitter pressing on for November
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 3,164

based off purely theatrical box office:

$200m budget + by this point I wouldn't be surprised if it's near $200m P&A (marketing), I'm guessing a 2021 delay will mean that point is definitely reached, minus whatever the sponsors like Omega, Aston Martin, Nokia etc provided... say, 300-400m costs. Then roughly half the box office revenue on a global level goes to cinemas. So $600-800m.

At this point it is *definitely* about minimising losses. A 2021 could lead to more losses than taking a shot in November - that's why Mulan went on VOD. One would imagine they might break even when the film goes out on home entertainment but at this point no way it's breaking even theatrically.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 4,599
    I have no idea so just thinking, would the sponsorship contracts have clauses regarding release dates or the geographical spread of the release? Omega, Nokia etc did not have this in mind when they signed up.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    It seems like some theaters in the USA are going to start closing on weekdays given Tenet's terrible box office numbers & the lack of new wide-releases. And this decision could be put in place as early as next week.

This might actually be a very smart move.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,541
    They could re-release it when pandemic is over. That might help them. I wouldn't be surprised if they release it again for 60th anniversary.
    Black Widow delayed to May 2021; Death on the Nile delayed to December 2020.

NTTD is now the NEXT big-budget release coming to cinemas.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    patb wrote: »
    I have no idea so just thinking, would the sponsorship contracts have clauses regarding release dates or the geographical spread of the release? Omega, Nokia etc did not have this in mind when they signed up.

I do think that has something to do with it, sponsors would be forgiving of the first delay but not a second, they have marketing campaigns and activity ready to go with inventory sitting on shelves now.

Also, we have to remember that a lot of NTTD’s budget is subsidised by product placement, so a $250m budget becomes $150m if they made a lot of PP deals, which they do.

I now see Black Widow has been delayed. Will there be any cinemas left?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2020 Posts: 40,461
    Oof. I just don't see this film hitting theaters in November, unless it's incredibly limited or has a concurrent PVOD release.
    It’s all on Bond to help save theaters. It might still be delayed, but there has been a lot of advertising lately; I think they’re doing everything possible to get it out this year, at least to some extent.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Mallory wrote: »
    patb wrote: »

I do think that has something to do with it, sponsors would be forgiving of the first delay but not a second, they have marketing campaigns and activity ready to go with inventory sitting on shelves now.

Also, we have to remember that a lot of NTTD’s budget is subsidised by product placement, so a $250m budget becomes $150m if they made a lot of PP deals, which they do.

I now see Black Widow has been delayed. Will there be any cinemas left?

Possibly not. We may be witnessing the death of the megaplex.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 3,564
    It really depends on how one defines a "theatrical release." New York and California theaters are likely to not be open in November so the U.S. box office numbers will be hobbled significantly. I'm expecting a "release" to whoever is open in November, a PVOD release sometime a few weeks later, and a DVD release just in time to take advantage of Christmas gift-giving. MGM is going to do whatever they can to maximize their income (or maybe that should read, "minimze their losses") on this film, and something along these lines makes the most logical sense to the layman making these predictions. I doubt they'd have spent as much $ as they have promoting this delayed release, only to turn around and delay it again.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,343

Tenet’s is $500 million. With a slightly smaller budget and less money wasted for marketing.

NTTD is gonna be the lowest grossing Bond movie ever adjusted for inflation. This is so depressing. Everybody is delaying but for them it’s not an option anymore. After all the work, the efforts and the drama put on this film, after a forced 7 months delay that came after two “artistic” delays, the longest 007 ever will come out right in the middle of the flu season during a pandemic caused by a respiratory disease. Incredible. But if they’re fine, I’m fine.

At least the longest running franchise ever will always be remembered as the one who saved the industry too, in its darkest hour. *being sarcastic
    I would like EON to delay NTTD so I can see it in theaters. I hope that is a valid reason. The pandemic is getting out of control in France, and there is still 7 weeks until the film's release. The situation could be a lot worse by November.

If my only option is buying it on DVD in Christmas, I lose all interest in the film. It was my most hyped film for 2020. Almost everything else in my top 10 anticipated films has been delayed to 2021. I quite frankly have zero interest in NTTD if my only option remaining is to watch it at home directly on Blu Ray or Netflix/whatever.