Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited September 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Univex wrote: »
    Everything's up in the air right now. Who knows? Who knows if theatres will remain a viable option in coming years? Who knows how studios will cope? What formats will arise? What kind of productions will see the light of day? These are troubled and undefined times, and no decision is set in stone as of yet, and won't be for some time.

That's the way I see it anyway.

Yeah man, what if this is the end.

Well, for many things it has been already. I'm not being hyperbolic here, just facing the facts. I'm sure Bond and films will survive. I'm just not sure we're in a position to say exactly how. And seriously talking about casting a new Bond when the new film isn't even out there is, to put it mildly, being very naive.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If we are going to have a 43 year old playing Bond for the first time (45 by the time he does it, most likely), I would rather it be Fassbender.

Am I missing something?
    Moore, Dalton and Brosnan were all in their 40 for their first movies. Moore was 46. Except for Lazenby, every actor has done at least one movie at the age of 43 or older.
    Given the production time of the movies nowadays, I agree that he is very much at the upper end of the possible age range and I would personally prefer someone younger. But it's not like Hardy would be some unprecedented senior citizen in the role...

The responses to you were the reason I highlight his age as an issue. The gaps between the films are too long.

I have said before that what I would prefer them to do is immediately cast a safe pair of hands and commit to making 3 films in 6 years starting with one in 2022. That way, the older actors such as Fassbender, or even Hardy, could have a nice little story arc and still only be 50ish by the time their tenure has finished.

Yeah, even ignoring that it's Bond, I think any studio that makes a blockbuster film where it's even remotely possible that a sequel may happen signs their star to a three-film contract, don't they? I don't see a one-off Bond as possible at all unless the films stop production.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Univex wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I've spoken to @peter about this and both of us find it very strange that on the eve of releasing a new film that EON would make a move to cast a new actor to take the series forward and that leak.

Surely something like this if it was true would derail all the publicity for NTTD, just they start doing interviews the interviewers will be asking about Hardy being the new Bond rather than talking about NTTD.

It is a very strange move if it is true, I'm inclined to paraphrase Sir Rog's Bond here and say "there is a usual 4 letter word and this rumour is full of it"

Lucidity. How wonderful ;) Been waiting for it. Where have you guys been?
    Really really don’t want Hardy. I think he’d be a joyless, charmless thug made of granite. BORING. I’d take Cavill over him, and I don’t want Cavill at all.

+1
    If we are going to have a 43 year old playing Bond for the first time (45 by the time he does it, most likely), I would rather it be Fassbender.

+1

@Univex I'm still around my friend just lurking, popping in and out, this recent rumour needs treated with the treatment it deserves.

I must admit I'm getting sick to death of seeing lazy journalism spinning this into something it clearly isn't and surprise surprise Idris gets dragged into the mix again.

@FatherValentine I couldn't agree any more if I tried, indeed they are going for that age and experience, Fassbender would be a no brainer in my book.

I would gladly get on board with that, Hardy is a terrific actor but I've never got this idea of him being Bond. I'm not bowled over by Turner but I get it, I can see how others would but Hardy, as a Bond fan for over 4 decades I just can't see however people try and explain it.

I find a lot of the people championing this are casual fan who don't get the character at all. I know some here who aren't like the idea but Hardy is only being seen as right for the role because what Craig has done with the character.

If they hadn't gone down the route they did with Craig and stuck to the same model as previous, the likes of Hardy wouldn't even be considered.

Craig was the game changer, the type of actor who could be considered or who would consider themselves right for the part has changed now but that doesn't explain why this would happen.

Come on guys, I know things have changed in the world but does this strike you as something to really take seriously?

Unless the Broccoli's have sold up secretly and someone has the property and they want to start their run with a name and Hardy is it. If not EON just wouldn't do this, pandemic or no pandemic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I really don't see any issue with -hypothetically- Hardy doing it at all. I can't see anything he's missing to play it, plus he's an actual movie star which is a huge plus point. Roger Moore didn't really have any of the qualifications apart from being an old school handsome leading man, but he was a natural star so he made it his own.

Could I buy Hardy being a confident, tough spy? Easily: he's done loads of both. He's done smooth and charming, he's done rough and dangerous, he's done gags. He's been the lead in many films... I can't see any issue with him doing a good job of it. I just don't happen to buy this story.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    As said previously, I think the respective Hardy/Elba/Cavill ships sailed as soon as Craig announced he was coming back for a fifth film, regardless of what one thinks about their suitability.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,945
    Yeah if they made one with him today it'd be fine, or a couple of years back ideally, but it might not be great now.
    But then: they seem to be making more Venom (although I guess it's probably only got one more in it) and are hoping Mad Max comes back too, so who knows.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    I remember rumours going round that Craig returned to the role when he heard Hardy was waiting in the wings. Craig apparently doesn't like Hardy. Is this a ploy to have Craig come back for one more? If it is Hardy, I'm buzzing. I don't want Aidan Turner or Henry Cavill. Hardy is an electric performer. He has the gravitas, depth, presence and acting chops to follow Craig.

This is what I'm thinking, which makes sense regarding my earlier post regarding overhearing Hardy 'being cast' as Bond about three years ago...

I really don't want Hardy as Bond..

The likeliest candidates for me are Turner and Cavill. Both look the part, particularly Turner when you see him in photos from the Christie series. However, Fassbender for me would have been an incredible Bond and still could be?

The truth is I'm reluctant to see ANY actor take on Bond because I'm an actor myself... and certainly an unknown at that...
  • I'm also an actor - only amateur though (worked in 2 groups over the last 9 years plus 2 college courses).
    Funnily enough, when I first thought that I'd love to act as a career (when I was about 11 or 12), I really did actually want to play James Bond in a future film.
    Now I'd just love to be in a Bond film in a small part or even as an extra really!
  • Univex wrote: »
    Everything's up in the air right now. Who knows? Who knows if theatres will remain a viable option in coming years? Who knows how studios will cope? What formats will arise? What kind of productions will see the light of day? These are troubled and undefined times, and no decision is set in stone as of yet, and won't be for some time.

That's the way I see it anyway.

Yes that's how I see it. The new world post Covid may look very different to the one we see now, and as we remembered it before 2020.

Big blockbuster Hollywood flicks may not get the green light anymore, due to cinema and filming restrictions, and may have to settle for more modest budget films that appear for a short while in selected cinemas, and then end up quickly on streaming platforms.

Which leads me to believe someone like Hardy could be a shoe-in for a one-off movie to keep the franchise alive, ensuring it gets greenlit for Bond to at least get another outing. It may even include Nolan to as director, as the only way to guarantee it gets financially backed, but this focus will be very short term.

Once a vaccine comes out (who knows when), and the world tries to return back to normal, then maybe we will see Bond return again in a more regular fashion (although I think every 2 years is now pushing it).

• I'm also an actor - only amateur though (worked in 2 groups over the last 9 years plus 2 college courses).
    Funnily enough, when I first thought that I'd love to act as a career (when I was about 11 or 12), I really did actually want to play James Bond in a future film.
    Now I'd just love to be in a Bond film in a small part or even as an extra really!

Wouldn't we all. Get back to the back of the queue mate. ;)
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 3,279
    QsCat wrote: »
    QsCat wrote: »
    Hi guys. I had a message from a friend a few days ago, as I'm sure many of you did, saying that Tom Hardy was confirmed as the next Bond. Obviously, looking this up I found that it was unconfirmed BS, which was a RELIEF.
    But you might be interested to know that 2/3 years ago I worked at a cafe/bar in Clerkenwell, London. We often hosted corporate gatherings. At one of these I overheard two guys chatting about the next Bond. One of them announced to his friend that Hardy was going to be the next Bond. He was certain about it. This was not based on an article he'd read (I say this only because of the way he spoke) but because he had inside knowledge. I didn't believe it myself, but as you can imagine it was quite shocking to hear! And he really should have been more careful of who might be listening..

2 to 3 years ago is a long time in the film business. 2 to 3 months is a long time. So whatever you heard 2 men say way back then, I doubt very much it is an accurate picture of what is happening right now. Had you heard this 2 to 3 days ago, it may hold a bit more weight.

So the three people who have responded to this have responded with negativity. Why is that? I thought it may be of interest, here on a page where many members go crazy over a simple photograph.
    I dont mention this now because I think it proves the recent 'news'. No, I know three years CAN be a long time in the film industry. All I'm saying is what I heard at the time. If it were true, it would add some validity to Hardy being considered. We know that in the Bond world, actors who are considered at one point can often be offered the job years later. I didn't hear two men talking in a pub, as you imagine, I heard it at a corporate event in London. I can't remember the name of the company, but it was film/PR related. I didn't mention it at the time because I refused to believe it could be true and I also thought it was very unprofessional of the guy to blabber such news so publicly.

To someone else who commented something along the lines of 'those who know don't tell', I would alter that to "some of those who know don't tell". If you knew, would you say? Some would.

Problem with this is, the film business is an ever-changing, evolving beast, and anything that gets decided on 3 years ago would end up looking very different once the film has finally been financially backed, greenlit and ready to go. Scripts change, trends change, ideas change, the world changes (as we all well know in 2020).

3 years ago NTTD was still in its early stages, so I seriously doubt during that time there was serious discussion going on about about Hardy (or any actor) to replace Craig. The focus will have been around NTTD trying to get made - and nothing else!

• imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Watching Tom Hardy in Legend, he wears nothing but suits and tux in that movie...Naturally.

50369855428_9cc8ed10ac_b.jpg
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I remember rumours going round that Craig returned to the role when he heard Hardy was waiting in the wings. Craig apparently doesn't like Hardy. Is this a ploy to have Craig come back for one more? If it is Hardy, I'm buzzing. I don't want Aidan Turner or Henry Cavill. Hardy is an electric performer. He has the gravitas, depth, presence and acting chops to follow Craig.

Hardy is a great actor. But a Bond actor cannot be 5ft 8in tall. Far too short.

Promoting the film with Bond girls towering over him....?🤣.

Daniel Craig at 5ft 10in was the minimum and that’s only because it’s UK average height. Anything below is short......Bond isn’t short.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Alex O'loughlin, only year older than Hardy.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Hmmm...

50370249143_5529debd4f_b.jpg
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    He kind of looks like what the stripper version of Bond would be. Poundland Bond anyone?

Or shall we keep it at modern Bond, revised, renewed and reimagined?
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,247
    This Tom Hardy rumour is making me believe Waller-Bridge has already written Bond 26.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It’s possible she might have written the screenplay for Bond#26, but there is no way Hardy has been cast. With the uncertainty of the release of NTTD still hanging over then, there is no way they would further add to what they have in their plate by casting the next actor so soon.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,247
    It’s possible she might have written the screenplay for Bond#26, but there is no way Hardy has been cast. With the uncertainty of the release of NTTD still hanging over then, there is no way they would further add to what they have in their plate by casting the next actor so soon.

Yeah, me too. I'm not sold on the Hardy News. Waller-Bridge just came to mind, that she might have written Bond 26. Although, I have to admit that the reaction to this Hardy news has been relentless for the past couple of days. My friends who are casual Bond fans are still rejoicing, even when I told them it looks like a rumour.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    imranbecks wrote: »
    Hmmm...

50370249143_5529debd4f_b.jpg

He looks like Reggie Kray, as he’s supposed to here. The Kray’s were short too.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 686
    @Univex I'm still around my friend just lurking, popping in and out

Really good to know, my friend.

I find a lot of the people championing this are casual fan who don't get the character at all.

That seems to be the norm these days, even around here. But I'll get an earful for saying that, I'm sure, as "no fan is more of a fan than another", and "everyone's entitled to their opinion", and "there are no facts in this green turf" 8-| This is the intrinsic reason why journalism is dead in the water nowadays.
    Unless the Broccoli's have sold up secretly and someone has the property and they want to start their run with a name and Hardy is it. If not EON just wouldn't do this, pandemic or no pandemic.

And we both know they didn't and won't, because someone with a good source ;) told us so, and we actually know who's preparing to take over the reigns and keep up the family work one way or another ;)
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    The Bond rumours we have had since the internet years, most of which made it to the newspapers...

Avatar the name of Brosnan's second film
    Catherine Zeta Jones signed on as a Bond girl
    Catherine Zeta Jones is going to be Bond
    Colin Salmon signed on as Bond
    Bill Clinton having a cameo in the next film
    Beyond the Ice

There's dozens more. It used to be that papers would print any Bond rumour to sell copy, now people do it to get traffic to their web pages/YouTube sites/Social Media. It's just got to be ignored until we see it with our own eyes.

The Bond rumours we have had since the internet years, most of which made it to the newspapers...

Beyond the Ice

There's dozens more. It used to be that papers would print any Bond rumour to sell copy, now people do it to get traffic to their web pages/YouTube sites/Social Media. It's just got to be ignored until we see it with our own eyes.

Exactly. Oh, and we should make a full list of those rumours. There are some that are really cringeworthy, and still got traction at the time, just like this Hardy one is getting.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I don't think he'd do it anyway. He's married with children, and Venom 2 is out next year. Wasn't Craig's wife a bit iffy with all the female attention he got.

What does that have to do with anything?
    Sean Connery, Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan were all married with children, when they played Bond.

Beyond the Ice

I miss the days of the next bond film is Risico no wait The Property of a lady nope Risico

Sigh
    imranbecks wrote: »
    Tom Hardy? He is everywhere in the news and they're all saying he is replacing Craig. It's definitely more than just a rumour :-?

He isn't my first choice though.

50367539282_5e0c605dbd_b.jpg
    50367539317_721edd535a_o.jpg
    50366683558_2d0f35f73e_o.jpg
    I'm not convinced that they would finalise a deal before the new film is out.

I would prefer him to, say, Richard Madden or James Norton, though.
    My thoughts exactly. And I definitely would prefer Richard Madden.

It's most likely just a rumour. Robbie Williams was once all over the news as Brosnan's successor. I believe Clive Owen and that guy from Nip/Tuck were also all over the news. Didn't happen.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I know this won't matter to some, but according to Grace Randolph, who had checked with some of her sources, the Tom Hardy rumours are not true. Again, I know this won't be deemed worthwhile by some.