NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Mediocre ‘Tenet’ Grosses Likely Factor in Expected ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ and ‘Dune’ Delays
    https://indiewire.com/2020/09/wonder-woman-1984-dune-expected-to-delay-theatrical-release-1234584121/

The next one in play is Disney’s “Black Widow” November 6, with new rumors it might be delayed. Then comes James Bond instalment “No Time to Die” from United Artists November 20. It is expected to do 75 percent or more of its business foreign, so it seems less likely to face disruption. Speculation remains high that if Disney is happy with “Mulan,” now on Disney+ at $29.99, it might consider that route for Pixar’s “Soul,” currently set for November 20.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 631
    I’m starting to think they should just release the film in November as promised, and be done with it,

If it makes a few hundred million, that’s great.

If it only makes three pounds fifty and a bag of crisps, well, that’s great too.

They’ve filmed it, so release it, take the loss, and move on.
    I’m starting to think they should just release the film in November as promised, and be done with it,

If it makes a few hundred million, that’s great.

If it only makes three pounds fifty and a bag of crisps, well, that’s great too.

They’ve filmed it, so release it, take the loss, and move on.

This. As I mentioned before, how can they afford to keep delaying it with all the money they’ve spent on marketing? I’m really hoping this is just it and it gets released finally.
    Thinking about the long game. Bond films are screening in cinemas around the world all the time, so it's not as though NTTD's box office will end after it's theatrical run. And with Zimmer scoring, presumably it will be getting the in concert treatment as well. It might make it's target, it just wont be as soon as they would have liked. And hopefully it has more staying power, with its built in audience than Tenet does.

Or, they could always go down the Avengers route, and re-release it in cinemas (once safe) with a few minutes of new footage.
    imranbecks wrote: »
    You know, if they keep delaying all these movies, they might as well not plan to release any new movies in the foreseeable future. The world isn't what it once was. The box office won't be what it once was. Box office performances will be different now and the performances of Tenet proves that. And further delaying upcoming movies to a later date in the hopes that the pandemic would improve or be over by then is just naivety speaking. This virus isn't going to just disappear overnight or in a couple of months time. It'll be around for at least another couple of years, if we're lucky. So the way I see it, they might as well just release the movies as planned. Because it would be a very very long time before the box office gets to normalcy. The sooner movie studios realise this, the better.

Here in Singapore, each cinema hall depending on the size of the hall is only allowed 25 to 50 people for each screening, 2 or 3 seats together and spread out across the hall with safe distancing in place. So getting tickets for different timings can be tricky as each screening time will quickly be sold out due to the limited numbers of people allowed in the hall at one time. I'm sure this plays a part in affecting box office earnings as well as some people would be put off by the difficulty of getting tickets due to the limitations in place.

Here's an example of how it looks for the IMAX screening of Tenet. Red are the blocked seats. White are the available seats and grey being seats that are already booked.

50325307868_239b60eb2e_b.jpg

Agreed.The studios surely know that if they dont release these big movies to theaters starving for business that many of them will close and that will in turn hurt the studios.Its in their best interests to keep the theaters going.Yes,they will take a hit in the short term ( Im convinced that the likes of Tenet and NTTD are actually going to lose money even if they make a decent box office gross ) but it the long term it will prove to be the right thing to do.
  • NTTD may well stick to November but IMO that would be unwise here in UK. Case numbers are up exponentially, hospital admissions and intensive care admissions are lagging indicators. Older demographic continue to shield and many are unlikely to head to a cinema, regardless of NTTD. As we go into Winter, respiratory illnesses increase. Covid-19 is a respiratory illness. Anything can happen but a November release is a huge gamble for a $200 million movie.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Thinking about the long game. Bond films are screening in cinemas around the world all the time, so it's not as though NTTD's box office will end after it's theatrical run. And with Zimmer scoring, presumably it will be getting the in concert treatment as well. It might make it's target, it just wont be as soon as they would have liked. And hopefully it has more staying power, with its built in audience than Tenet does.

Or, they could always go down the Avengers route, and re-release it in cinemas (once safe) with a few minutes of new footage.

Bond has never done "real" extended cuts so I wonder if that's something entirely off the table for them or if they would be willing to do it.

Also I am very confident that No time to die has at least 10 minutes if not way more of deleted material judging by how high the clapperboards go (and some of the early runtime rumors).
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,343
    NTTD may well stick to November but IMO that would be unwise here in UK. Case numbers are up exponentially, hospital admissions and intensive care admissions are lagging indicators. Older demographic continue to shield and many are unlikely to head to a cinema, regardless of NTTD. As we go into Winter, respiratory illnesses increase. Covid-19 is a respiratory illness. Anything can happen but a November release is a huge gamble for a $200 million movie.

Yes, a film that would need $500+ millions to just break even... Since May I’ve been said that late Spring 21 would’ve been a safer slot. Let’s see what happens.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Tenet's projection for its second weekend are in: between $5.8 million to $7.4 million.

Reminder that it made just over $11 million on its opening weekend.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-box-office-forecast-what-tenet-might-have-made-last-weekend-what-it-may-make-in-its-second-frame/
  • I can't really speculate with any certainty as to whether NTTD will be pushed or not since the whole situation is currently in flux, but it's worth remembering what happened to the King's Man.

It was all set to come out this upcoming Friday with a months long marketing campaign with posters and trailer featuring the new date... right up until a few weeks ago, when it suddenly wasn't.

Every release is very fluid right now and there aren't any solid rules. Certainly, additional marketing will be expensive. But more expensive than writing off potentially $400-600 million of the worldwide box office?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,416
    Finaly Dutch Boxoffce numbers of Tenet from Boxofficemojo and those are very good. The movie starts with 2,1 million ($2,120,915) with 137 screens. That kind of number is overall standard as ''normal'' for some movies people have big expections from. Second or thirth weak wil say more. Also ''Ava'' in my opnion did a very good start with $947,399 and 88 screens. Tenet did starts a bit lower then QOS in 2008 did $2,249,196 / 135 screens.

NTTD can easly doing 2,5 million then if the promotion is better then Tenet and iam sjure the movie wil get atleast simalar screen count or mabey even closer to Skyfall (211 screens). Spectre starts with 132 screens and very high boxoffice of $3,980,760 and later get even a litle bit more screens. 007 weaks on number 1 in 2015.

Also update on Trolls World Tour (134 screens) who now did $1,931,957 after 4 weaks and Scoob! $2,849,376 / 126 screens after 8 weaks. After 5 weaks $1,368,436 / 108 screens for Unhinged.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Wonder Woman 1984 officially delayed to December 25th, 2020.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/wonder-woman-1984-delayed-christmas-1234766774/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What's it say? It's a yes or no question, that's all I got. Is it a poll inquiring as to how many people will or won't see it in theaters?
    Yes, 74% said no to seeing it in cinemas.

Damn, those are some staggering numbers. With some sentiment like that, coupled with the fact that likely not every theater is going to be open by that point (and those that are will certainly still follow social distancing guidelines, ensuring each theater isn't full and packed), it'll be bad news for NTTD's returns, unless they opt to further delay or do some sort of streaming option (though how lucrative a return that may be is unknown. I'd love to see Mulan's streaming purchase numbers.)
    "Spectre" had 7.1 million admissions in Germany.
    So with 83.1 million people living in Germany 76 million did not watch it.

With EVERY movie there are way more people who will not watch it, because they have no interest in it, not because of Corona.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Yes, 74% said no to seeing it in cinemas.

That's a low number.
    Almost no movie in Germany is seen by more than 10% in theatres.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 4,400
    MGM/Universal delay 'Candyman' reboot from October to 2021

Oh dear...The Wonder Woman decision clearly shows that faith has not returned in exhibition during the pandemic after Tenet. This is, in every possible way, the opposite of what Christopher Nolan was hoping for in pushing for Tenet's release. So much for the whole 'saviour of cinema' narrative he was pursuing.

Now cinemas have re-opened and can show new product, it's a bit heartbreaking that the studios are balking. I understand why they are moving massive blockbusters, but smaller films - like Candyman -are what they really need now.

But this does mean that MGM/Universal are now seeing 2020 as unfeasible. tenet's poor weekend performance and upcoming small projections for this weekend have cemented that feeling.

The question now is: Why blinks first Bond or Black Widow?

Either one is set to be the next tentpole going up to the slaughter....All signs point to the Widow bailing and Bond going out fighting. In their article today covering the matter, The Hollywood Reporter said: 'There are rumors that Disney and Marvel's Black Widow could vacate its Nov. 6 release date because of concerns over the state of the box office. One event pic that's determined to stay on the calendar so far is MGM's James Bond installment No Time to Die, set for Nov. 20.'

maxresdefault.jpg
    My heart cannot take another year-long delay on NTTD.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FoxRox wrote: »

I didn t see DN, FRWL or TB in the cinema until 25 years later, so I am chill about it.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

I hope the studios realise that making tons of money is impossible in the foreseeable future.

Breaking even should be the goal for big budget films IMO. Anything above that is a success.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I hope the studios realise that making tons of money is impossible in the foreseeable future.

Breaking even should be the goal for big budget films IMO. Anything above that is a success.

Yeah, this is very true of the films that had the misfortune of already being made when this all hit. A shame for them but a lesson going forward for everyone, I think. It really does make you think about how fragile this entire industry is!
    The issue here, too, is that the Black Widow film could easily take the Mulan route, whereas Bond only has the option to release in November or push the date even further, unless they do end up opting to offer a streaming purchase option.
    NTTD’s already been delayed so much, and so much advertising has already gone into it. For all we know things could stay like this for a very long time. I just don’t see the sense in delaying it more.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    FoxRox wrote: »

I didn t see DN, FRWL or TB in the cinema until 25 years later, so I am chill about it.

It's better to chill out about the nttd release.
    And join the football fantasy league here on this forum..... :)>-
    More important is to stay safe.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,686

Tenet is currently showing that reaching the break even point is impossible for a big budget film. It is likely to end its box office run over $100 million below that milestone. And NTTD’s budget is even higher than Tenet’s.
  • Bond will do better. People, more so the general audience, want to see NTTD more than Nolan's Tenet.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 12,914
    Not over yet, of course. The landscape changed from production to release. Along with delays and pressures against theater attendance, the Tenet release can go longer than tradition. It could take on more theaters to offset occupancy restrictions. It's designed for repeat viewings. Could even take on cult film type status with those repeated viewings in its original release, a first among others I think. Or it may do some or none of those things.

There is a price to pay doing the right thing, in this case reestablishing theater business. An investment in their own future. It moves forward at the first opportunity in line with regulation and science and whatever is thrown at it. Hesitation could extinguish the venue altogether, at a time when experience says it's completely manageable.

Tenet and No Time To Die.

For me, they have my support. It's a mistake to conflate what was and what happened and extinguish what can be.

And the alternative is.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 870

Tenet is currently showing that reaching the break even point is impossible for a big budget film. It is likely to end its box office run over $100 million below that milestone. And NTTD’s budget is even higher than Tenet’s.

@ShakenNotStirred is right in saying more people want to see a new Bond film than Tenet, but that still might not be enough. Why would anyone who's not a big Bond fan insist on seeing NTTD in cinema when they can watch it at home in 3 months time?

If that's the case, they can either release it in November regardless, or they can keep delaying it, but I'm pretty sure that no date in 2021 will be marked as much safer - by the end of 2021 population will not have been vaccinated, and will not have reached herd immunity. I don't see anything happening to make people want to attend public events in much larger numbers.

Perhaps there will be something - but I'm not seeing it.