How do you listen to music?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2020 Posts: 23,102
    thedove wrote: »
    My music and how I listen is diversified. :)

Spotify for around the house. I love to create playlists and listen to some of the content on there. I have a premium subscription since I was listening to it so often.

CD's for Elvis deep back catalogue. I am a huge Elvis fan and many of the hard to get tracks and rarities are released on CD. I don't have a ton but a healthy collection.

Albums and 45's. I was smart or dumb enough to save my vinyl collection. I don't listen to them often but they are there when I need them.

Love to listen to music!

I got rid of hundreds of Vinyl singles and Albums years ago and many collectors edition's. In my youth for a number of years I was a Collector/Dealer, I did Antique Fairs, Car Boot Sales, Table Tops and found some rare items.

I regret throwing them all away, though to be honest I have no idea where I would store it all now.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited July 2020 Posts: 3,497
    Ok so...

I've decided to stop buying CD's after my collection is complete. I still need to buy about 30 albums...The only exceptions will be AC/DC & Metallica, everything else will be bought on Itunes. (except maybe for some boxsets haha)

Spotify will continue to be used as a "discovery of new bands/music" tool and to listen to artists that I won't buy.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Ok so...

I've decided to stop buying CD's after my collection is complete. I still need to buy about 30 albums...The only exceptions will be AC/DC & Metallica, everything else will be bought on Itunes.

Spotify will continue to be used as a "discovery of new bands/music" tool and to listen to artists that I won't buy.

I do the same now, music I buy is from Amazon Music, I only buy CD's if its something rare or I cant find a digital copy. The convenience of purchasing an Album and it automatically downloading to all devices is great.

I often listen to music on my PC though I also have several Echo devices in every room, its great I can just say Play John Barry Playlist Everywhere and that's exactly what I get.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 17,241
    My wireless sport headphones have had there day so treated myself to some Bluetooth 5.0 Earpods at sale price, I must say the noise cancellation is excellent, just listening to The End To The Aston Martin now very impressed. The touch sensor controls are spot on, fit very securely in ear and the magnetic charging case is a bonus. I should have bought some of these sooner.

Late reply to this:

I've been thinking about getting myself some airpods as well, but haven't got around to reading up on the various models that are out there. How long does the batteries last on these, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns?

The only time I have used them for a long time was for several hours whilst walking, the ear phones themselves were in the mid 80% range after use and the case still had 100% charge.

I very rarely charge the case so a very good battery life. If the pods drop to 80% when back in the case they charge right back up to 100% very quickly.

Interesting! If I get around to buying a pair, I definitely need one that has good battery life. I guess that's not really much of a problem now that airpods have been around for a while, but it's still a factor to have in mind when buying. Some brands and models are quite pricy.
    thedove wrote: »
    My music and how I listen is diversified. :)

Spotify for around the house. I love to create playlists and listen to some of the content on there. I have a premium subscription since I was listening to it so often.

CD's for Elvis deep back catalogue. I am a huge Elvis fan and many of the hard to get tracks and rarities are released on CD. I don't have a ton but a healthy collection.

Albums and 45's. I was smart or dumb enough to save my vinyl collection. I don't listen to them often but they are there when I need them.

Love to listen to music!

You and me both, @thedove! I have too many playlists at this point, but I don't think I can delete many of them, haha!

I have a few Elvis albums on vinyl. They've been handed down to me, but they look to be in good condition. I rarely sit down to listen to vinyl these days (I'm hoping to do something about that), but listening through those albums is on my to-do list. I have Hound Dog on 78rpm, too.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 23,102
    @Torgeirtrap The Ear pod's I bought were a Lightening Deal on Amazon, I tend to check what's selling every few days or so to see if I can find a bargain. I know the prices are exaggerated though on the face of it I had £50 knocked of the cost.
    And yes, I listen to everything from Haim to Slayer. ;)
    @Torgeirtrap The Ear pod's I bought were a Lightening Deal on Amazon, I tend to check what's selling every few days or so to see if I can find a bargain. I know the prices are exaggerated though on the face of it I had £50 knocked of the cost.

Wasn't even aware that there was something called Lightening Deals on Amazon, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns – I'll have to keep an eye out for deals like that! I tend to just use Amazon for books and films/TV Shows, but it might be worth having a look at deals for tech as well.
    Ok so...

I've decided to stop buying CD's after my collection is complete. I still need to buy about 30 albums...The only exceptions will be AC/DC & Metallica, everything else will be bought on Itunes. (except maybe for some boxsets haha)

I'm sort of in the same boat, @JamesCraig. There aren't many albums I need to have on physical formats – and in particular CD, anymore. iTunes and Spotify covers a lot of my music "cravings". But as every music lover knows, there will always be the odd album/collection release that must be bought on a physical format.

Wasn't even aware that there was something called Lightening Deals on Amazon, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns – I'll have to keep an eye out for deals like that! I tend to just use Amazon for books and films/TV Shows, but it might be worth having a look at deals for tech as well.
    Ok so...

I'm sort of in the same boat, @JamesCraig. There aren't many albums I need to have on physical formats – and in particular CD, anymore. iTunes and Spotify covers a lot of my music "cravings". But as every music lover knows, there will always be the odd album/collection release that must be bought on a physical format.

Myeah, I guess so.
    :-?

Ok so...

Myeah, I guess so.
    :-?

A lot of bands offer high quality downloads of their releases though, so you can sometimes avoid having to buy a physical format release. On a couple of occasions I have bought vinyl releases which also included digital downloads of the same release, which is fantastic.
    JAMJAMT wrote: »
    I still use this one-SanDisk Clip Jam MP3 Player to listening Spotify music.I still have tussled how to play music from Spotify on my MP3 player. Actually, many users are out for answers on how to go about this business. now I got it .I can download Spotify music to MP3​​​​​​​ then add music to my MP3 player easily.

My MP3 player is limited I just use a SD card and play all my music through that, I still use my MP3 player when out walking etc as it is very compact, otherwise I listen to Spotify and Amazon music on my Mobile Phone.
    It's interesting to see that several of us still use our good old MP3 players, even with the access to Spotify, iTunes etc. on our phones.
    613xRVXsMzL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    Just bought another Smart speaker, so I have 6 smart speakers now scattered around my home. It was a Limited Time deal £80 cheaper than usual, great sound I have put it in my gym room with two other smart speakers.
    Just bought another Smart speaker, so I have 6 smart speakers now scattered around my home. It was a Limited Time deal £80 cheaper than usual, great sound I have put it in my gym room with two other smart speakers.

Do you have the ability to connect all these speakers, or do they belong to separate ecosystems?
    edited August 2020 Posts: 23,102

Do you have the ability to connect all these speakers, or do they belong to separate ecosystems?

Seperate and the same eco system, so if I say play Goldfinger soundtrack Everywhere the score will play simultaneously through every speaker in every room. If I say play Goldfinger soundtrack in Lounge the score will only play on Lounge speakers and so on. Or I can ask individual speakers to play different music from each other.

You can pair speakers also if the speakers are the same.

Seperate and the same eco system, so if I say play Goldfinger soundtrack Everywhere the score will play simultaneously through every speaker in every room. If I say play Goldfinger soundtrack in Lounge the score will only play on Lounge speakers and so on. Or I can ask individual speakers to play different music from each other.

Interesting! That's what I would aim for too, if I were to get a multiroom setup – most likely with speakers within the same ecosystem. I've had the opportunity to listen to the Sonos One lately, so I could see myself getting a pair of those in the future.

Interesting! That's what I would aim for too, if I were to get a multiroom setup – most likely with speakers within the same ecosystem. I've had the opportunity to listen to the Sonos One lately, so I could see myself getting a pair of those in the future.

The Echo Plus is the best smart speaker I have bought so far, I did buy a Echo Studio at sale price though when I received it the box was empty. By the time I had returned it and got my money back it was no longer at sale price. The Echo Studio has Dolby Atmos many reviews say it rivals the Sonos. I will definitely get one when the price drops again.

techdetails_es-_cb452481835_-jpg.43342
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 17,241

The Echo Plus is the best smart speaker I have bought so far, I did buy a Echo Studio at sale price though when I received it the box was empty. By the time I had returned it and got my money back it was no longer at sale price. The Echo Studio has Dolby Atmos many reviews say it rivals the Sonos. I will definitely get one when the price drops again.

Empty? And that was a brand new one?

I really like the size of these speakers. The Echo, the Sonos One, Beoplay etc all look to perform way beyond their sizes. And for someone with limited space to spare, these are really interesting. It's just a shame I've already filled that space with other kinds of speakers, turntables and amps! :))

I also like the look of the speakers made by the Danish loudspeaker brand Vifa.

20141215_vifa21698_72-dpi.jpg

vifa_oslo_pebble_grey_49202_72dpi.jpg
    vifa_home_copenhagen02_mountain_blue_7.jpg

As a fan of minimalistic design, these are just…

a7031e8ce4a66c2aaafd87aca298290a.gif

I really like the size of these speakers. The Echo, the Sonos One, Beoplay etc all look to perform way beyond their sizes. And for someone with limited space to spare, these are really interesting. It's just a shame I've already filled that space with other kinds of speakers, turntables and amps! :))

Speakers that dissappear into the decor are good, two of my smart speakers have screens so you can see what albums are playing or you can ask to see your albums to flick through them.

Yeah I had the Echo Studio sent to a Amazon Locker as was working, I was furious when the box was empty. Surely the driver must have known or just did not care lol

Speakers that dissappear into the decor are good, two of my smart speakers have screens so you can see what albums are playing or you can ask to see your albums to flick through them.

Yeah I had the Echo Studio sent to a Amazon Locker as was working, I was furious when the box was empty. Surely the driver must have known or just did not care lol

Indeed. You want speakers to blend in with the interior, or stand out. I don't like it when a speaker pair is just "there", or in the way. Having the ability to see what albums you're playing is a nice feature. Does those screens just show you want track/album is being played, or do you see the album artwork as well?

Was the package open or something? Or was it a packaging error from Amazon?
  • 613xRVXsMzL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Always been amazed at the bass those Echo speakers are able to produce for such a small speaker.

Indeed. You want speakers to blend in with the interior, or stand out. I don't like it when a speaker pair is just "there", or in the way. Having the ability to see what albums you're playing is a nice feature. Does those screens just show you want track/album is being played, or do you see the album artwork as well?

My place is cluttered despite my best efforts to be minimalistic lol I collect way too much memorabilia or have done over the years.

Its was in a key coded locked locker, the box was open and empty so it must have gone missing in the factory or transit. The code we use to open locker is one time use only. I was more irritated as it was a birthday gift to self also.

Always been amazed at the bass those Echo speakers are able to produce for such a small speaker.

Even the Echo Dot's are pretty good for sound and cheap when at sale price, the base on the Echo Plus is good and the sound fills the room effectively.

My place is cluttered despite my best efforts to be minimalistic lol I collect way too much memorabilia or have done over the years.

Its was in a key coded locked locker, the box was open and empty so it must have gone missing in the factory or transit. The code we use to open locker is one time use only. I was more irritated as it was a birthday gift to self also.

Same here! I'm working towards downsizing everything I own, but it's a gradual process. I hope to do another big clear out sometime this autumn.

That's strange, and very annoying of course! I've had few issues with purchasing from Amazon. One item came a bit later than expected, and another one was damaged in transport, which led Amazon to cancel the order, have it returned to wherever they shipped it from and refunding me before it came to my address. Other than that, every order have been delivered on time and undamaged. I hope you won't have another package delivered empty!

Same here! I'm working towards downsizing everything I own, but it's a gradual process. I hope to do another big clear out sometime this autumn.

That's strange, and very annoying of course! I've had few issues with purchasing from Amazon. One item came a bit later than expected, and another one was damaged in transport, which led Amazon to cancel the order, have it returned to wherever they shipped it from and refunding me before it came to my address. Other than that, every order have been delivered on time and undamaged. I hope you won't have another package delivered empty!

I have had items go missing from Amazon in the post a few times though to be fair they have always refunded me, I deleted my eBay account as I had numerus bad buying experiences I just had enough.

When I on leave I may box a load of things up and put in storage and try to reclaim my home lol

I have had items go missing from Amazon in the post a few times though to be fair they have always refunded me, I deleted my eBay account as I had numerus bad buying experiences I just had enough.

When I on leave I may box a load of things up and put in storage and try to reclaim my home lol

That's strange. At least it's good that Amazon have refunded you for those purchases! I'm generally cautious about what I buy online, and that has kept me from using Ebay. I might still give Ebay at try at some point, but I'll rather look elsewhere for the more expensive items.

I've never tried putting things in storage before. How does it work? Is it some sort of storage facility you pay monthly deposits to?

That's strange. At least it's good that Amazon have refunded you for those purchases! I'm generally cautious about what I buy online, and that has kept me from using Ebay. I might still give Ebay at try at some point, but I'll rather look elsewhere for the more expensive items.

I've never tried putting things in storage before. How does it work? Is it some sort of storage facility you pay monthly deposits to?

Sorry my storage involves putting things in large plastic boxes and stacking them in a room I don't use.

Sorry my storage involves putting things in large plastic boxes and stacking them in a room I don't use.

My bad! I often put things in plastic and/or cardboard boxes too, but it really just move the storage issues from one room to the other, haha! I plan to order 15-20 white cardboard media boxes from Ikea sometime next week (maybe a few plastic ones too). They look a bit nicer than the regular plastic/cardboard boxes I use, so even if they take up the same amount of space, it will look a bit more planned and organised.

My bad! I often put things in plastic and/or cardboard boxes too, but it really just move the storage issues from one room to the other, haha! I plan to order 15-20 white cardboard media boxes from Ikea sometime next week (maybe a few plastic ones too). They look a bit nicer than the regular plastic/cardboard boxes I use, so even if they take up the same amount of space, it will look a bit more planned and organised.

I have a few plastic boxes in my lounge and hidden not particularly well lol

That's the issue I'm having with them too – they're difficult to hide!

This is partly why I like how new speakers and music gear in general can be so tiny in size, yet have so much "punch" and clarity. Take portable speakers for example; the ones that came out, say 10-15 years ago, that were of similar size to speakers of the same size that are available now; it's like two different worlds. Not to mention the functionality you have with speakers nowadays.

This is partly why I like how new speakers and music gear in general can be so tiny in size, yet have so much "punch" and clarity. Take portable speakers for example; the ones that came out, say 10-15 years ago, that were of similar size to speakers of the same size that are available now; it's like two different worlds. Not to mention the functionality you have with speakers nowadays.

Having a smart home and Smart speakers is so convenient, often when training I don't have to mess about with changing CD's or going to my PC. In the middle of a set I can just say play which ever album or playlist I have, adjust volume by voice etc.

I also have camera's installed so even if hundreds of miles away I can view my camera's on my mobile phone, switch my lights on or off or randomly play music in any room as a deterrent.

Admittedly I do like my gadgets and watch many Tech channels on YouTube lol that's why I am broke :))

Modern Tech is great as long as it is not deskilling, also its great as Assistive Technology.

Having a smart home and Smart speakers is so convenient, often when training I don't have to mess about with changing CD's or going to my PC. In the middle of a set I can just say play which ever album or playlist I have, adjust volume by voice etc.

I also have camera's installed so even if hundreds of miles away I can view my camera's on my mobile phone, switch my lights on or off or randomly play music in any room as a deterrent.

Admittedly I do like my gadgets and watch many Tech channels on YouTube lol that's why I am broke :))

Modern Tech is great as long as it is not deskilling, also its great as Assistive Technology.

It's interesting to see how "smart" speakers and other types of tech has become. The fact that you can easily play any playlist, album, song or whatever by voice command is incredible when you think about it. But it doesn't come cheap of course!

I don't have any smart speakers (yet), but really it's just about bad timing: I bought a Marshall Stanmore bluetooth speaker some years ago, as I needed a speaker that I could easily connect with my iPhone, iPad and Macbook. But had I waited a year or so (if I remember correctly), I would have been able to buy the second generation of Stanmore speakers, that has the Google Assistant built-in. I can't justify getting another speaker now, and I can't see myself selling a speaker I'm completely happy with, so smart speakers will have to wait for now.

How large are those cameras? Personally, I think I would have been uncomfortable having cameras installed in my home!