Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Univex wrote: »
    Luke Evans will always be the “should have been Bond” for me. Watching “The Alienist” just reinforced that belief. He’s the only one I could image kicking Dan’s proverbial derriere in a fight, and had the style and presence to go with it. Furthermore, he’s Welsh, just like my previous favourite. Oh well, it’s so sad that we now live in a time when being 41 makes you too old to play Bond. That’s ridiculous.

Mine as well. Mentioned it before, but I can even picture him when reading the books.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Luke Evans will always be the “should have been Bond” for me. Watching “The Alienist” just reinforced that belief. He’s the only one I could image kicking Dan’s proverbial derriere in a fight, and had the style and presence to go with it. Furthermore, he’s Welsh, just like my previous favourite. Oh well, it’s so sad that we now live in a time when being 41 makes you too old to play Bond. That’s ridiculous.

Mine as well. Mentioned it before, but I can even picture him when reading the books.

Yeah, me too.

lukeevans-621x354.jpg
    WEBSITE-IMAGE-4b7b7e9dc9.jpg

I'm going through The Alienist now and agree - Luke Evans would be great as a suave, experienced Bond. He's featured in enough blockbusters, so has the cinematic clout but is not as exposed as say, Cavill or Hiddleston. And he can easily do a trilogy while he's in his 40s.

And a trilogy would be quite enough if they bring on the production quality from the Craig era. If we were in 1995, he'd be the front runner with only 41 years old.

Bond is a man, an experienced civil servant. One who has a penchant for doing things with style and panache. Not a kid, a green agent who fails constantly. So I hope they don't go for this, and understand that we live in precarious times, and that we need a one good film at a time approach, with no continuity, and a stellar actor as a lead.

Yeah, me too.

lukeevans-621x354.jpg

That's James Bond right there!

Yeah, me too.

lukeevans-621x354.jpg

That's James Bond right there!

2a6ec8f71ec90bc5ff17192d8a3b01bc.jpg
    7cfa721b9257d7f1cbb1a7a6f94f8a5e.jpg

A bit of 70's Roger Bond vibes in that last photo, @Univex!

Double-Breasted-Chalkstripe-Suit-2.jpg

Yep.

luke-evans-los-angeles-premiere-beauty-beast-held-el-capitan-theatre-hollywood-usa-march-87644532.jpg

Yep.

luke-evans-los-angeles-premiere-beauty-beast-held-el-capitan-theatre-hollywood-usa-march-87644532.jpg

Very much so.

1495547865-golden-gun-suit.jpg

Completely off topic, but does anyone else immediately think of The Saint when you see that round light in the ceiling, right above Roger's head?
    Yes, and his expression is spot on. On a side none, Maud was really beautiful.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Whoever EON choose, I trust them to get it right. We have always had the right Bond at the right time (maybe Lazenby, aside). I've never been Craig's biggest fan, but when you consider that Clive Owen and Julian McMahon where the alternative's ? Be glad for what we have had.
    McMahon would have been a more traditional choice than Craig and he was Michael Wilson's first choice too.
    Yes, and his expression is spot on. On a side none, Maud was really beautiful.

My favourite Moore era Bond girl actress. I really like both roles she played.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Luke Evans looks a little too much like an MMA fighter for my liking. Not quite right in my opinion.

Now, it seems to be Bond has also been keeping it on the down low due to Covid. He certainly has adopted the Corona look, incognito if you will. A trip to the barber will do the trick I reckon.

30830136-0-image-a-31_1594889611630.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Now, it seems to be Bond has also been keeping it on the down low due to Covid. He certainly has adopted the Corona look, incognito if you will. A trip to the barber will do the trick I reckon.
    His names Aiden ;) not Bond yet mate
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Whoever EON choose, I trust them to get it right. We have always had the right Bond at the right time (maybe Lazenby, aside). I've never been Craig's biggest fan, but when you consider that Clive Owen and Julian McMahon where the alternative's ? Be glad for what we have had.
    McMahon would have been a more traditional choice than Craig and he was Michael Wilson's first choice too.

He would have been a horrible. An average actor at best, with a weak voice and stiff mannerisms. He literally does not tick any box..
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He really seemed to disappear too: one of those who they seemed to want to be a star but failed to take.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Well, spending most your time on TV will do that for you. I think Nip/Tuck really pigeonholed him in terms of roles that he got. He's not the best actor in the world, but he's still capable enough and I think he's got a pretty decent presence on camera.

He does have his own Dick Wolf show now, so he hasn't really disappeared either.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah okay, I don't know much about US TV.
    Luke Evans looks a little too much like an MMA fighter for my liking. Not quite right in my opinion.

Is that from the Leonardo show that Bond is doing?
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    parkert5 wrote: »

Is that from the Leonardo show that Bond is doing?

Indeed Bond has some psychological issues as of late, the man thinks he is da Vinci reincarnated. Let's give him some time to get out of the Corona funk he seems to be in. ;)
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland

He would have been a horrible. An average actor at best, with a weak voice and stiff mannerisms. He literally does not tick any box..
    But he wasn't too famous movie star, like Owen.

• RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom

Owen wasn't really a big star then, and he would have been a pretty poor choice too.
    Other than those two, the only other names I recall seeing in the press, at the time, where Craig, of course, Henry Cavill (far too young at the time) and Eric Bana.

Now, Bana, if he could pull off an English accent, would have been interesting.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,091
    Bana's an interesting thought, I like him. Maybe he could.
    He's another who seems to have fallen off the map a bit in relation to where he was in the mid/late 00s.
    mtm wrote: »
    Bana's an interesting thought, I like him. Maybe he could.
    He's another who seems to have fallen off the map a bit in relation to where he was in the mid/late 00s.

Currently in Netflix in a very poor show with Connie Britton. From A-lister to...whatever this Fox wannabe show is. Painful to watch Bana doing this, specially because he doesn't seem to have aged a day.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What’s happened there? He never set the world on fire maybe but he was always decent and likeable and could do some impressive stuff too. Someone like Russell Crowe is about the same vintage, and maybe a slight step higher, but still leading movies.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland

Owen wasn't really a big star then, and he would have been a pretty poor choice too.
    Other than those two, the only other names I recall seeing in the press, at the time, where Craig, of course, Henry Cavill (far too young at the time) and Eric Bana.

Now, Bana, if he could pull off an English accent, would have been interesting.

Martin Campbell saw Cavill's potential.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 395
    Bana was already Hulk in 2003.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 395
    Sam Worthington was a rising star back then.
    What’s happened there? He never set the world on fire maybe but he was always decent and likeable and could do some impressive stuff too. Someone like Russell Crowe is about the same vintage, and maybe a slight step higher, but still leading movies.

The guy was a lead in many A-star films. He was Henry VIII, Hector, Hulk,... (btw, those are many Hs, coincidentally). Maybe he was never any director's Robert De Niro, like Russel Crowe was to Ridley Scott for a while.

I'd say he's too good of a person to be a real star, but I don't know a thing about him ;)

That being said, I do recognise that disappearing act pattern in the art industry. It happens, and sometimes for the right reasons too. Who knows?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,091
    Don't forget Munich too: can't be too bad if you're starring for Spielberg. Odd to fade away so quick.
    Don't forget Munich too: can't be too bad if you're starring for Spielberg. Odd to fade away so quick.

That's true. Great movie. Great acting all around. Love Craig's character too. "Papa was a Rolling Stone..."

munich_600.jpg
    Eric Bana I think had too soft a face for Bond. That's why I'm spite of his size I thought he played a convincing Bruce Banner: he looks mild mannered and vulnerable. Very good actor and completely undeserving of the obscurity he fell into. But not quite James Bond.