Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

MELODY (1971)
    Watched this two nights ago, and have just learned of the death of Alan Parker, whose scripting debut this was.
    A delightful film, reteaming child actors Jack Wild and Mark Lester of 'Oliver' fame. A tale of schoolkids, and particularly a young boy (Lester) who falls in love with a girl called Melody (Tracy Hyde) and aided in their attempt to be together by their rambunctious friend Ornshaw (Wild)
    Quirky and funny, the scenes of kids at play and at school is wonderfully depicted, and a great score by the Bee Gees no less, and Crosby, Stills and Nash!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    HELL OR HIGH WATER

heftige-en-waanzinnige-western-hell-or-high-water-vrijdagavond-op-canvas.jpg?w=730&watermark%5Btext%5D=Bron%3A+The+Searchers

One of the best films I've seen in a long time. Could be Pine's best performance to date. Bridges and Foster are awesome too. The screenplay is a work of art. Magnificent film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,690
    @DarthDimi That film blew me away. One of the best films of the 2010's IMO. You should check out Wind River if you haven't already. Kind of an unofficial trilogy, with Sicario and Hell or High Water. Taylor Sheridan wrote the script for all 3, and also directed Wind River.
    I saw them all, @DaltonCraig007. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @DarthDimi That film blew me away. One of the best films of the 2010's IMO. You should check out Wind River if you haven't already. Kind of an unofficial trilogy, with Sicario and Hell or High Water. Taylor Sheridan wrote the script for all 3, and also directed Wind River.

Sicario was a masterwork of suspensse, but HOHW just bored me.

Sicario is great, indeed. Hell Or High Water is a different sort of film, but boring? Now, that I disagree with. :)
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Sicario is great, indeed. Hell Or High Water is a different sort of film, but boring? Now, that I disagree with. :)

We cannot all enjoy the same. I won t deny it is a clever film, technically speaking.

We cannot all enjoy the same. I won t deny it is a clever film, technically speaking.

Too true, mate, we cannot all enjoy the same. ;-)

I found every moment with the cast members in HOHW electrifying.

Too true, mate, we cannot all enjoy the same. ;-)

I found every moment with the cast members in HOHW electrifying.

All right. That is how felt watching Sicario. Interesting plot, characters, the dynamics between them and unfurling of events. I didn t get much of that from HOHW.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Sicario 2 is great too.
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Sicario 2 is great too.

It sure was. The way it ended, there could definitely be another cooking.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Sneakers

One of my favorite movies. Robert Redford leads a cast that couldn't be more amazing if they tried. The film balances a light, yet tense tone, not something many other films are capable of. Ben Kingsley, who has sadly never played a Bond villain, turns in a perfect performance as the villain, though his American accent could maybe use more work.

This is one I don't think anyone should miss out on.
    Sneakers

One of my favorite movies. Robert Redford leads a cast that couldn't be more amazing if they tried. The film balances a light, yet tense tone, not something many other films are capable of. Ben Kingsley, who has sadly never played a Bond villain, turns in a perfect performance as the villain, though his American accent could maybe use more work.

It has a Mission Impossible feel to it. I loved it when it came out, but seeing it again a few years ago, it wasn t all that great.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    C'era una volta il west.
    ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

Best western ever.
    Sneakers

It has a Mission Impossible feel to it. I loved it when it came out, but seeing it again a few years ago, it wasn t all that great.

Theres a movie called 'Micmacs' (2009) by director Jean Pierre Jeunet (Amelie, Delicatessen) which does a Mission Impossible style film better than it. Agree with re Sneakers, enjoyed it in the cinema but didnt hold up to repeat viewing!
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    C'era una volta il west.
    ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

Best western ever.

Agree
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Rambo Last Blood i liked the PTSD thing.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Sicario 2 is great too.

It sure was. The way it ended, there could definitely be another cooking.

I really liked Sicario 2 until the last twenty minutes or so. The ending was very weak.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2020 Posts: 23,347
    scarface_13.png
    Scarface 4K tour de force from Pacino, one of De Palma's Masterpieces. I watched this when it was first released on home video back in the 80's and bought every Pacino film since in the genre, arguably the greatest actor.

terminatortwouhd15018.jpg?ssl=1
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day 4K Easily one of the best 4K restorations I have seen, this film looks amazing.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Sneakers

I love the scene where Redford "defeats" the door keypad with great ingenuity.

And "be a beacon".
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 1,639
    "Ferris Bueller on the other hand i detested from my first viewing. He's such an obnoxious, Know it all character"

Just ask sgt Toomey :D

Tongfather 4/6 , cop busting up opium ring , fairly entertaining
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2020 Posts: 13,894
    I spent some time in the company of 'The Chairman of The Board'

19760_2_large.jpg
    ^ I love the soundtack to this. It's soo laid-back cool, with a hint of danger, especially
    the track 'The Shark'. I know that he covered the Bond theme, but I would have liked Hugo Montenegro to have scored a Bond film. The cool factor would have been off the scale.

and

latest?cb=20110821150610&path-prefix=es
    ^ One of The Chairmans less showy performances, and in turn, one of his best.
    Both very good, @MajorDSmythe.
    FIRST BLOOD (1982)
    The original, and still far and away the best of the Rambo films. This blu ray version is really excellent, Andrew Laszlos cinematography comes across really well, particularly the scenes in the mine! Ted Kotcheffs direction is taut and the set pieces thrilling (Rambos first escape from the police station, picking off the posse in the storm!)
    Jerry Goldsmith provides the memorable score.
    The sequels dont come close! One of my favourite thrillers.
    I spent some time in the company of 'The Chairman of The Board'

19760_2_large.jpg
    ^ I love the soundtack to this. It's soo laid-back cool, with a hint of danger, especially
    the track 'The Shark'. I know that he covered the Bond theme, but I would have liked Hugo Montenegro to have scored a Bond film. The cool factor would have been off the scale.

and

latest?cb=20110821150610&path-prefix=es
    ^ One of The Chairmans less showy performances, and in turn, one of his best.

Watched both of these recently, as well as Tony Rome. All great films, and Montenegro's score for Lady in Cement is a treat!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I finally watched Top Gun for the first time.

I completely love this move. It is the most 1980's thing I have ever seen.
    TWILIGHTS LAST GLEAMING (1977)
    Robert Aldrichs gripping thriller, tells the story of a bitter ex Air Force General, (Burt Lancaster) , who, along with 3 convicts, takes over a nuclear missile site, to force the U.S. President (Charles Durning) to reveal on live T.V. the real reason behind the Vietnam War!
    Rather overlooked, this is one of director Aldrichs best films. He uses split screen effectively and orchestrates nail biting sequences, particularly the assault by General McKenzies (Richard Widmark) team on the base, and a tense finale, Jerry Goldsmith providing the sterling score! An all star cast are excellent, including Paul Winfield, Burt Young and Richard Jaeckel, but its Durning as the vulnerable decent President who's out of his depth politically, that gives the most affecting performance! Well worth seeing!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    u1IgN.png
    Watchmen: Ultimate Cut Really enjoyed this watch, despite the long running time 3 hours 35 minutes I get so engrossed in what is going on the time fly's by. In the Top five films of the genre for me.
    u1IgN.png
    Watchmen: Ultimate Cut Really enjoyed this watch, despite the long running time 3 hours 35 minutes I get so engrossed in what is going on the time fly's by. In the Top five films of the genre for me.

I'm so glad you like this film, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Too much hate was spewed for this one, and the Alan Moore fan crowd is ridiculously fickle.

LXG --> film is TOTALLY different from book: we hate!
    V4V --> yeah, not close enough to the book: we hate!
    Watchmen --> it's EXACTLY like the book (except for the climax): we hate!

Look, Watchmen is one of the greatest achievements in adapting a comic for the big screen, a film that not only honours the story and characters, but also the aesthetics.

But hey, since it's always been "cool", I guess since "300", to dismiss Snyder as a hack, haters will always hate. Good movie made by--OMG, ZACK SNYDER!--nah, BAAAAD movie, BAAAAD movie!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    HELL OR HIGH WATER

heftige-en-waanzinnige-western-hell-or-high-water-vrijdagavond-op-canvas.jpg?w=730&watermark%5Btext%5D=Bron%3A+The+Searchers

One of the best films I've seen in a long time. Could be Pine's best performance to date. Bridges and Foster are awesome too. The screenplay is a work of art. Magnificent film.

One of my favorites of the last many years, a brilliant neo-western that's as exciting as it is emotional.