Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    If cases are rising across the world again, do we blame all world leaders for it? Or do we only blame Trump for the USA rise in cases?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If cases are rising across the world again, do we blame all world leaders for it? Or do we only blame Trump for the USA rise in cases?

The former. It is clear that politicians across the board are grossly incompetent, apart from a select few.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia

The former. It is clear that politicians across the board are grossly incompetent, apart from a select few.

GadgetMan wrote: »

This vaccine could be at least 5 months away.

Hopefully something is found earlier than that to combat this basterd of a virus.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Hopefully something is found earlier than that to combat this basterd of a virus.

I share your hopes but we're half a galaxy away from "5 months". Think at least a year, and having a vaccine doesn't mean you and I will be getting one soon.

If something can be found to treat the symptons, meanwhile, yes, that would be awesome!
  • TripAces wrote: »

About half the voters want trump, about half the voters don't. The others are non voters.

You and I disagree entirely and that's okay. Reasonable people should be able to disagree reasonably. But I do want to correct you on this point. According to current polls, about 1/3 of the voters are still supporting Trump and 2/3 are not. His response to the COVID-19 crisis has been just that bad.

I try not to think about it. But here we are, 4 1/2 months into this, and things are worse, not better. The main problem is the fragmented approach to this crisis and the fact that the 1/3 you mention are bat shit crazy. They don't want masks. They think our doctors are part of a deep state trying to undermine their supreme leader. They are quoting and listening to quacks who think sex with aliens is a medical condition. They have begun calling the virus the Communist China Virus.

Ok. I have said enough. My head is about to explode. Back to thinking about something else. LOL

The whole "alien DNA and sex with demons" thing is their newest and craziest bit yet. That signpost up ahead is a warning -- our next stop is the Twilight Zone.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,975
    This is what years of de-funding education gets us in the US. At least 40% of our country lacks an understanding of (or ignores) basic science: how viruses work, etc.

And I also blame Rupert Murdoch for his news organization's decades-long assault on the minds of the gullible and uneducated. Shame on our government for doing away with the fairness doctrine back in the '80s.

DarthDimi wrote: »

I share your hopes but we're half a galaxy away from "5 months". Think at least a year, and having a vaccine doesn't mean you and I will be getting one soon.

If something can be found to treat the symptons, meanwhile, yes, that would be awesome!

Maybe no vaccine in our lifetime ?

Antibiotics that are used for the flu don't even work.

Some other treatment might be found soon hopefully.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Berlin, a couple of hours ago. 15.000 German conspiracists protesting against coronavirus lockdown shouting "I want my life back". I won't comment.

AFP_1W5980-kwIE-U32001190640421e3B-656x492@Corriere-Web-Sezioni.jpg?v=20200801162958
    matt_u wrote: »
    Berlin, a couple of hours ago. 15.000 German conspiracists protesting against coronavirus lockdown shouting "I want my life back". I won't comment.

AFP_1W5980-kwIE-U32001190640421e3B-656x492@Corriere-Web-Sezioni.jpg?v=20200801162958

Yes, this is yet another sign of foolish we here in the so-called civilised West can be. They even have a DJ over there. I mean, if you're going to fail, you might as well do it like a boss.

Meanwhile, America's about to ban TikTok, so all our problems will soon be over. Again,, if you want to fail...
    I love America and the people. San Francisco is one of my favourite cities to visit. But come November you have a choice between one doddery old man and another doddery old man. Oh or Kanye West!!! Your country is well and truly f*#ked
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,690
    The USA have recorded 1,123 deaths yesterday, marking the first Saturday above 1,000 fatalities since May 30th. Saturdays and Sundays have always had the lowest weekly death-toll in the US since the pandemic began. Since July 4th, every Saturday has seen an increased in deaths compared to the previous week.

Yesterday was the USA's 5th consecutive day above 1,000 deaths.
    matt_u wrote: »

Idiots like this are the ones spreading the virus.

We had a protest about a month ago, now we are in lock down again here in melbourne.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    I love America and the people. San Francisco is one of my favourite cities to visit. But come November you have a choice between one doddery old man and another doddery old man. Oh or Kanye West!!! Your country is well and truly f*#ked

False equivalency. One is a lot better than the other.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    echo wrote: »

You're right; Kanye is head and shoulders above even George Washington himself.
  • Agent_One wrote: »

How about, "one is a lot better than the other two, who are both about due for an asylum or some other form of institutionalization"?
    Agent_One wrote: »

I've said it before but what's with these old dudes? Look, I respect the elder, who are usually also the wiser, and they have people surrounding them who give them advice and whatnot, but surely a slightly younger, more energetic and clear-headed bloke who is not afraid of, well, basically everything that was introduced post-2000, of youngsters, of changing morals -- or of "change" of any kind -- and who can do some thinking for himself, including in the ways of science (Corona being the prime example right now) is the better option? But for some reason, people seem to like the cute grandpa type. :)
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

Agreed 100%!

At the risk of being overtly political (yet again! 😊):

While both presidential candidates too old for my tastes, what’s at stake in the November 2020 presidential election is nothing less than the very future of the US as a democratic nation. And I’m not resorting to exaggeration.

On one hand, we have a candidate that (according to some) is past his “sell by date”, and on the other, we have a man that represents (for people across a wide spectrum of political views) a clear and present danger to the very country itself.

As if to remind us that he has a flare for the dramatic, on Thursday (7/30), he actually floated the notion that he would delay the election. And although he doesn’t have the constitutional authority to do that, many believe that there is a good chance that he may seek legal loopholes to remain in power. Even during the most divisive chapters in our nation’s history, the peaceful transfer of power has been one of the hallmarks of our history. And should that come to pass dear friends, the US will be plugged into the worst constitutional crisis in the nation’s history. Let me put it another way: if these rumors are true, the release date of NTTD will be the least of my concerns.

And about that “change in tone” many claimed was evident two weeks ago; said individual spent the last week either (re) complaining about “too much” COVID-19 testing, or prompting the medical advice of a quack doctor (one that ranks about alien DNA, the physical effects of having sex with witches and demons in your dreams, and of course, the benefits of hydroxychloroquine).

As for the larger age concern, given the youthful nature of the “up and comers”, I hope that in 2024 we will see a younger and more energic group vie for office. But for now, the “not perfect” is still better than the alternative.

Rant over!
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    Agent_One wrote: »

I've said it before but what's with these old dudes? Look, I respect the elder, who are usually also the wiser, and they have people surrounding them who give them advice and whatnot, but surely a slightly younger, more energetic and clear-headed bloke who is not afraid of, well, basically everything that was introduced post-2000, of youngsters, of changing morals -- or of "change" of any kind -- and who can do some thinking for himself, including in the ways of science (Corona being the prime example right now) is the better option? But for some reason, people seem to like the cute grandpa type. :)

I'm old enough to (barely) remember when a young man with the initials of JFK was President. Eight years later, we got a (still vaguely youngish) fellow by the name of Nixon. Twelve years later we went for the grandfatherly Ronnie Reagan. I guess we were just traumatized by the young guys and lulled into a sleep by the old guy. Obama seemed relatively young in 2008 -- have you seen him recently? I think the job just ages one heavily and we've collectively decided we might as well get somebody who's already attained geezerhood. At least that way we know what we're getting...
    Dwayne wrote: »

Agreed 100%!

At the risk of being overtly political (yet again! 😊):

While both presidential candidates too old for my tastes, what’s at stake in the November 2020 presidential election is nothing less than the very future of the US as a democratic nation. And I’m not resorting to exaggeration.

On one hand, we have a candidate that (according to some) is past his “sell by date”, and on the other, we have a man that represents (for people across a wide spectrum of political views) a clear and present danger to the very country itself.

As if to remind us that he has a flare for the dramatic, on Thursday (7/30), he actually floated the notion that he would delay the election. And although he doesn’t have the constitutional authority to do that, many believe that there is a good chance that he may seek legal loopholes to remain in power. Even during the most divisive chapters in our nation’s history, the peaceful transfer of power has been one of the hallmarks of our history. And should that come to pass dear friends, the US will be plugged into the worst constitutional crisis in the nation’s history. Let me put it another way: if these rumors are true, the release date of NTTD will be the least of my concerns.

And about that “change in tone” many claimed was evident two weeks ago; said individual spent the last week either (re) complaining about “too much” COVID-19 testing, or prompting the medical advice of a quack doctor (one that ranks about alien DNA, the physical effects of having sex with witches and demons in your dreams, and of course, the benefits of hydroxychloroquine).

As for the larger age concern, given the youthful nature of the “up and comers”, I hope that in 2024 we will see a younger and more energic group vie for office. But for now, the “not perfect” is still better than the alternative.

Rant over!

Agreed completely. This primary, we didn't have a youthful contender who could go the distance like Obama or JFK--and I think a lot of that is down to the electoral college, which favors a moderate (and older) nominee, which gives us Biden.

And of course Biden is a hell of a lot better than Trump. For any person with a brain, there is no choice but Biden. Four more years of Trump could very well kill us off.
    July was the worst month of the pandemic in the USA. Health experts are expecting August to be even worse, with an estimated 44,000 US citizens fatalities from Covid-19 in the next 4 weeks (11,000 deaths each week on average). This would mean the USA will reach 200,000 total deaths before September.
    I thought this was interesting to share: apparently, right after the first lockdown, more people filed for divorce in my country. Is this in other countries too?
    I thought this was interesting to share: apparently, right after the first lockdown, more people filed for divorce in my country. Is this in other countries too?

The same happened in France too, the number of divorces increased to above-average levels once the lockdown was lifted. From what I can find online, this trend also occurred in Spain, Russia, the UK, Australia and China.
    Interesting... So married people develop more conflicts then. I mean, surely it can't be a case of adultery during a lockdown. :) A bit sad, really. "We want to be happy together..." except when we're ALWAYS together. :D
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
    70,000 deaths reached on April 6th (2 days later).
    80,000 deaths reached on April 7th (1 day later).
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (1 day later).
    110,000 deaths reached on April 12th (2 days later).
    120,000 deaths reached on April 14th (2 days later).
    130,000 deaths reached on April 15th (1 day later).
    140,000 deaths reached on April 16th (1 day later).
    150,000 deaths reached on April 17th (1 day later).
    160,000 deaths reached on April 18th (1 day later).
    170,000 deaths reached on April 20th (2 days later).
    180,000 deaths reached on April 21st (1 day later).
    190,000 deaths reached on April 23rd (2 days later).
    200,000 deaths reached on April 24th (1 day later).
    210,000 deaths reached on April 26th (2 days later).
    220,000 deaths reached on April 28th (2 days later).
    230,000 deaths reached on April 30th (2 days later).
    240,000 deaths reached on May 2nd (2 days later).
    250,000 deaths reached on May 4th (2 days later).
    260,000 deaths reached on May 6th (2 days later).
    270,000 deaths reached on May 7th (1 day later).
    280,000 deaths reached on May 9th (2 days later).
    290,000 deaths reached on May 13th (3 days later).
    300,000 deaths reached on May 14th (1 day later).
    310,000 deaths reached on May 16th (2 days later).
    320,000 deaths reached on May 19th (3 days later).
    330,000 deaths reached on May 21st (2 days later).
    340,000 deaths reached on May 23rd (2 days later).
    350,000 deaths reached on May 26th (3 days later).
    360,000 deaths reached on May 28th (2 days later).
    370,000 deaths reached on May 30th (2 days later).
    380,000 deaths reached on June 2nd (3 days later).
    390,000 deaths reached on June 4th (2 days later).
    400,000 deaths reached on June 6th (2 days later).
    410,000 deaths reached on June 9th (3 days later).
    420,000 deaths reached on June 11th (2 days later).
    430,000 deaths reached on June 13th (2 days later).
    440,000 deaths reached on June 16th (3 days later).
    450,000 deaths reached on June 17th (1 day later).
    460,000 deaths reached on June 19th (2 days later).
    470,000 deaths reached on June 21st (2 days later).
    480,000 deaths reached on June 23rd (2 days later).
    490,000 deaths reached on June 25th (2 days later).
    500,000 deaths reached on June 27th (2 days later).
    510,000 deaths reached on June 30th (3 days later).
    520,000 deaths reached on July 2nd (2 days later).
    530,000 deaths reached on July 4th (2 days later).
    540,000 deaths reached on July 6th (2 days later).
    550,000 deaths reached on July 8th (2 days later).
    560,000 deaths reached on July 10th (2 days later).
    570,000 deaths reached on July 12th (2 days later).
    580,000 deaths reached on July 14th (2 days later).
    590,000 deaths reached on July 15th (1 day later).
    600,000 deaths reached on July 17th (2 days later).
    610,000 deaths reached on July 19th (2 days later).
    620,000 deaths reached on July 21st (2 days later).
    630,000 deaths reached on July 22nd (1 day later).
    640,000 deaths reached on July 24th (2 days later).
    650,000 deaths reached on July 26th (2 days later).
    660,000 deaths reached on July 28th (2 days later).
    670,000 deaths reached on July 30th (2 days later).
    680,000 deaths reached on July 31st (1 day later).
    690,000 deaths reached on August 2nd (2 days later).
    700,000 deaths reached on August 4th (2 days later).

1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (92 days later).
    200,000 deaths reached on April 24th (14 days later).
    300,000 deaths reached on May 14th (20 days later).
    400,000 deaths reached on June 6th (23 days later).
    500,000 deaths reached on June 27th (21 days later).
    600,000 deaths reached on July 17th (20 days later).
    700,000 deaths reached on August 4th (18 days later).

• edited August 2020 Posts: 17,279
    Interesting... So married people develop more conflicts then. I mean, surely it can't be a case of adultery during a lockdown. :) A bit sad, really. "We want to be happy together..." except when we're ALWAYS together. :D

I can only speak for myself, but I definitely need a bit of personal space and alone time –at least now and then. I won't be surprised if many couples find that being "stuck together" they way they've been, to be very challenging. Maybe that's why I like being single!
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

I can only speak for myself, but I definitely need a bit of personal space and alone time –at least now and then. I won't be surprised if many couples find that being "stuck together" they way they've been, to be very challenging. Maybe that's why I like being single!

Amen brother - bachelorhood has its perks.
    I need some alone-time too, but filing for divorce after just a few weeks of this seems a bit... I don't know, like giving up quickly, no? :)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,394
    I'm still very happy with my wife after a lockdown and several months of homeoffice. But I would lie if I'd say we didn't have a few more (small) arguments. And we both like to work a bit more again.

Crazy thing is that we often spend (almost) more time with colleagues at work as with a partner...

It is often stated that people nowadays give up quicker (job or partnership) and it seems true. Maybe because it was a no-go thirty/fourty years ago. The more dramatic thing is that they say violence at home increased during the last months. :(

Amen brother - bachelorhood has its perks.

Indeed!
    I need some alone-time too, but filing for divorce after just a few weeks of this seems a bit... I don't know, like giving up quickly, no? :)

Perhaps, but maybe those relationships weren't meant to be anyway? :)

Perhaps, but maybe those relationships weren't meant to be anyway? :)

Fair enough. A lockdown can be a good endurance test then. ;-)