And the Bondie for best actor as a Henchman...page 126

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,247
    One of my favourite Bond escapes (albeit, it's not that suspenseful or harrowing) is the way Brosnan's Bond walks around Carver's newspaper factory, after saying ''They'll print anything these days''. Brosnan's Bond walks around with unflinching gait...turning his head, left and right to David Arnold's rendition of the Bond theme.....I LOVE THAT!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    OHMSS for me!
  • Can I use my vote to vote AGAINST one of the candidates? I agree that the Wavekrest escape is the best of the series but it hasn't been nominated. And I know I'm in the minority, but I've always hated the alligators' backs escape. It looks like a Bugs Bunny move to me! The nasty gators all conveniently line up and that wascally wabbit -- er, our hero -- just scampers across their backs. Th-th-th-that's all, folks!
    Can I use my vote to vote AGAINST one of the candidates? I agree that the Wavekrest escape is the best of the series but it hasn't been nominated. And I know I'm in the minority, but I've always hated the alligators' backs escape. It looks like a Bugs Bunny move to me! The nasty gators all conveniently line up and that wascally wabbit -- er, our hero -- just scampers across their backs. Th-th-th-that's all, folks!

Have to say i love the scene myself but it wouldnt work with any other Bond except Moore!
    I also like the fact it was done for real, yes I know the gators were tied down, but it was still dangerous, as anyone who saw the outtakes would know, when one of the crafty buggers stuck their head up and nipped the shoe of Kananga (the guy who did the actual stunt!) in one of the takes!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 14,861
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    One of my favourite Bond escapes (albeit, it's not that suspenseful or harrowing) is the way Brosnan's Bond walks around Carver's newspaper factory, after saying ''They'll print anything these days''. Brosnan's Bond walks around with unflinching gait...turning his head, left and right to David Arnold's rendition of the Bond theme.....I LOVE THAT!

Ah yes: I always loved that little bit. I know Bond rolling along on a little trolley is maybe a bit small scale (and I'm sure wouldn't really work in real life), but it is fun.

Another lovely Brosnan escape (involving a trolley!) is the GoldenEye standoff in the chemical plant at the beginning where he's rolling his squeaky trolley along very slowly with the Russian army all aimed at him. That's something we hadn't seen in a Bond film before and it's nicely tense and funny at the same time, and really quite Bond-y too. That's a lovely little scene.
    mtm wrote: »

Ah yes: I always loved that little bit. I know Bond rolling along on a little trolley is maybe a bit small scale (and I'm sure wouldn't really work in real life), but it is fun.

Another lovely Brosnan escape (involving a trolley!) is the GoldenEye standoff in the chemical plant at the beginning where he's rolling his squeaky trolley along very slowly with the Russian army all aimed at him. That's something we hadn't seen in a Bond film before and it's nicely tense and funny at the same time, and really quite Bond-y too. That's a lovely little scene.
    Both great scenes!

Yeah, Great scenes. And I really love that GE scene as well. Brosnan's Bond always did have a stylish and distinctive way of escaping. All done to stunning Bond music....Slick escape is definitely a forte of Brosnan's Bond.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Yeah, Great scenes. And I really love that GE scene as well. Brosnan's Bond always did have a stylish and distinctive way of escaping. All done to stunning Bond music....Slick escape is definitely a forte of Brosnan's Bond.

What I find jarring is that there are no bullit holes etc Pity the nineties had that 'no blood shooting' thing going on. It makes it far less dangerous to my mind. Still, love the scene.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

What I find jarring is that there are no bullit holes etc Pity the nineties had that 'no blood shooting' thing going on. It makes it far less dangerous to my mind. Still, love the scene.

Yes, compare, say, OP where you see the bullets hit.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    LALD
    LALD is badassery at its finest.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    LALD. Superb setup, tease, payoff, and on with more action.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    LALD. Superb setup, tease, payoff, and on with more action.

This is one of the things I do love about that escape; while it is great on its own, it also serves as a precursor to a pretty great fifteen minutes of action.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'll vote for LALD as well.

Yeah, Great Scene. Talking about 'Blood Shooting' in the 90s, the late 80s and 90s had John Woo. But even the most Violent Bond films don't do that.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited July 2020 Posts: 7,946
    echo wrote: »

Yes, compare, say, OP where you see the bullets hit.

Try comparing it to a more gritty film, say, CR. It's the same director after all...

Yeah, Great Scene. Talking about 'Blood Shooting' in the 90s, the late 80s and 90s had John Woo. But even the most Violent Bond films don't do that.

Well they don't have to overdo it, but for me it seemed Bond was still too much going for an, what is it, R rating? Or PG? I'm not very good at those rating things.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I arrive on the stage in a straight jacket and as I prepare to escape I announce the Bondie for Best Escape goes to...LALD Bond uses a crocodile bridge to escape the farm it received 17 votes!

All our nominees received votes!

TLD Bond escapes an Afganistan prison received 1 vote
    FYEO Bond unties himself received 3 votes
    OHMSS Bond uses pockets to escape the cable car room receiving 4 votes
    GE Bond uses his head and a watch to escape the train received 1 vote

Okay lets swing back to the Klebbie side of things. We have many tropes in the Bond movies and one is the sacrificial lamb. In some movies this is a great moment for Bond to show some emotion at the death of an ally or person. Think of Vijay from OP or even Saunders from TLD. But in some cases the character seems shoe horned in and as a result their death just lacks emotional punch. We don't feel anything cause either the character is given nothing to do or just lacks any charisma or chemistry with Bond.

I present the worst sacrificial lamb role. You may consider any of the following: would the story be different without their death, the acting of the person in the role, or anything else you'd like to consider. So I present to you the worst sacrificial lamb of the series:
    • Luigi doesn't touch the buttons but is killed by Logue in FYEO
    • Chuck Lee rides off with Zorin's men in AVTAK and isn't seen again
    • Plenty O'Toole drowns in a pool while Bond flips through a magazine from DAF
    • Solange is left washed out at the beach from CR
    • Paula bites the capsule in TB

Which of these is the worst sacrificial lamb role of the series. Time for the academy to weigh in and see which of these should get a good kick to the shins.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Luigi
    Discount Italian Timothy Dalton
    edited July 2020 Posts: 6,757
    I think 4 out of these 5 are, contrary to what many would say, pretty ok. Felt rather bad for them when they went. Except for Plenty, another example of DAF's awfulness. Her disposal even represents one of the franchise's most famous plot holes. But that's a minor aspect. All the others were at least likeable, Plenty is an empty-headed golddigger.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Luigi is pretty bad, and it's all handled a bit weirdly when Bond seems to be taking revenge on Locque for killing him: somehow it's a bit of a crash of two tones when you have cold hearted revenge taking place for a comedy character.

Chuck Lee I rather like, and it's a nice little shock for Bond when he finds out he's dead. Don't mind that one.

Plenty is a very strange character, plus we have her corpse's appearance being just really confusing as we have no idea why she's there (due to a scene getting cut). Plus she's that rare thing of a totally innocent bystander who isn't part of the plot at all and isn't on anyone's side getting killed. Not ideal.

I don't see any issue with Solange at all. Good, main character, sad death. Not sure why she's on the list.

Paula is a weird character (in that the director doesn't seem interested in her at all, along with Pinder) but her disappearance does drive a whole set piece and drives the plot along a little bit. I don't mind her, but she did really need to actually have the camera pointed at her occasionally!

So of that lot I think I'll go for Luigi.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Chuck Lee-i don t even remember the scene.

As others have said: Fun thread.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I too like all of these, except for Luigi.
    I'll go with Chuck Lee.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    There are some tonal shifts in FYEO and you've hit on one @mtm we see Bond take revenge on Blofeld in the PTS. Then we see Bond tell Melina that revenge isn't the way to go, then we see him avenge Luigi's death. It leaves me wondering, is revenge only justified when Bond is performing it?

Thanks for your shout out @Thunderfinger I enjoy doing it and have had some great awards suggested by some of the academy!
    Yes, pretty hypocritical for Bond, especially after Melina saved his life.

Speaking of FYEO, why not a Klebbie for pettiest act of villainy ? I'm sure that Locque and his bodyguard stealing the money from the pool lady has to count here ? Or throwing Plenty O'Toole from the hotel room right in the swimming pool ?
  • thedove wrote: »
    There are some tonal shifts in FYEO and you've hit on one @mtm we see Bond take revenge on Blofeld in the PTS. Then we see Bond tell Melina that revenge isn't the way to go, then we see him avenge Luigi's death. It leaves me wondering, is revenge only justified when Bond is performing it?

It sort of surprises me that so many don't understand Bond's reasoning on this score. Bond knows all too well the damage that killing does to the psyche of the killer. He's already suffered that damage, and has since long before he took his revenge on "Blofeld." (Have we finally gotten around to admitting that the fellow offering Bond a delicatessen in stainless steeeeeeeel is indeed Blofeld? I can't keep track.) Remember (as noted in CR) the second one is "considerably" easier, as (one presumes) is the third, fourth, and so on. So the damage to Boind has already been done. He's trying to protect Melina be preventing her from suffering the same psychological damage that he long since came to terms with.
    Except that, by this point, she has already killed two men, including the murderer of her parents. The damage is already done by then.
  • On this count I'll have to vote for Plenty O'Toole because her sacrifice is so confusing to those who haven't seen the deleted scenes. How did Plenty get into Tiffany's pool? What the heck is she even doing back in the movie at this point??? Yes, she's a bimbo and a gold-digger but I kind of like her because of the crook that "didn't know there was a pool down there!"
    Plenty. Makes no sense, has no explanation. Illustrates perfectly how they simply didn't give a fuck about making DAF a coherent film.

Annoying girl as well...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Chuck Lee. He's just boring.