NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Any other film would get a solid release date, but I guess Nolan wanting to be the savior of cinema wants the soonest possible opening.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,343
    All the “Nolan wanting to be the savior of cinema” narrative is a bit ridiculous. It’s just business, and it’s not Nolan’s money.

“Sources at Warner Bros. stress that they will have to be flexible with its plans to release “Tenet,” which means it will not have a traditional theatrical rollout. Movie theaters overseas have already started to reopen, so there’s a chance it could launch internationally prior to a domestic release. That would be welcome news for exhibitors in Europe and Asia, two robust moviegoing markets that haven’t had a new Hollywood movie to entice audiences in months.“ from Variety.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    That would have to be done within reason though, i.e. once they are finally confident of having a US date within a reasonable time period of any international dates.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Variety also reported earlier today that One source in close contact with the studios tells Variety that if Warner Bros. and Disney were facing a scenario in which Europe and Asia open first with “Tenet” and “Mulan” followed by the U.S. a couple of weeks later, “they’d do it every day of the week.” “The problem is they don’t know when the U.S. market is going to open up, and they’re not comfortable going longer than two weeks due to piracy.”

https://variety.com/2020/film/global/tenet-global-box-office-international-exhibitors-forgotten-1234710870/
  • The British press pretty much put a curse on no time die. Methinks it's worked a bit too well
    The British press pretty much put a curse on no time die. Methinks it's worked a bit too well

If that's true, it seems to have extended to all of cinema.
    @DaltonCraig007 I’m replying here:
    “Unless what seemed impossible happens, and Tenet goes straight to VOD in the USA, which would pave the way for NTTD/Black Widow/Wonder Woman/Top Gun to do the same.“

As I see things NTTD won’t ever follow this path simply because MGM is no WB or other giant corporation. MGM needs to release the film in the best timeframe possible while WB with all the movies in their pipeline waiting to be released and being finished in a couple of months simply cannot wait too much. Plus we know NTTD, unlike a lot of other studio pictures, has no ticking clock on debts which is very important.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    @matt_u Thanks for the reply. I agree with you on the difference between MGM and WB. I was quickly throwing some ideas around in the other thread, but at this point I think it is still too early to have any evidence that any major films will/could be dumped on VOD. We still have no concrete information as to what Tenet's new release date will be. The tweet I used said early September, but WB could also put it on October 2nd (Wonder Woman's current release date).
    @matt_u Thanks for the reply. I agree with you on the difference between MGM and WB. I was quickly throwing some ideas around in the other thread, but at this point I think it is still too early to have any evidence that any major films will/could be dumped on VOD. We still have no concrete information as to what Tenet's new release date will be. The tweet I used said early September, but WB could also put it on October 2nd (Wonder Woman's current release date).

Yeah I agree, it is too early to have any evidence, even tho I believe that EoN/MGM's strategy at this point could be very different from the others. If WB or Disney will make certain choices doesn't mean NTTD will automatically follow, given the differences. MGM simply couldn't stand NTTD to heavily underperform.
    There's also this (from Variety's article on the TENET delay)...

"But Tenet faces a unique caveat in China, the world’s second-largest movie market. Currently, its exhibitors cannot screen movies that exceed two hours in length. Tenet runs at just over 2 hours and 30 minutes."

As I understand it, China's "2 hours or under" moratorium is an additional response to the pandemic, in order to limit the time people in an audience are exposed to one another.

NTTD runs 13 minutes longer than TENET.

So if China were to allow NTTD to open there, they'd likely have to split it into two parts...
    Chinese cinema are also currently limited to 30% capacity.
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    There's also this (from Variety's article on the TENET delay)...

"But Tenet faces a unique caveat in China, the world’s second-largest movie market. Currently, its exhibitors cannot screen movies that exceed two hours in length. Tenet runs at just over 2 hours and 30 minutes."

As I understand it, China's "2 hours or under" moratorium is an additional response to the pandemic, in order to limit the time people in an audience are exposed to one another.

NTTD runs 13 minutes longer than TENET.

So if China were to allow NTTD to open there, they'd likely have to split it into two parts...

worth noting apparently this won't be enforced for some films anyway - Titanic got approval to re-release there uncut, for instance

All cinemas world wide are limited to 30%.
    When you have 1.5 metres social distancing you cannot fit in more than 30% of the people.
    Jan1985 wrote: »

When you have 1.5 metres social distancing you cannot fit in more than 30% of the people.

In France we are at 50% capacity since cinemas reopened on June 22nd. Only 1 meter of social distancing required inside the auditorium.

In France we are at 50% capacity since cinemas reopened on June 22nd. Only 1 meter of social distancing required inside the auditorium.

In Germany it's 1,50 and most cinemasopened already in May. It will stay 1,50 in Germany until there is a vaccine.

In Germany it's 1,50 and most cinemasopened already in May. It will stay 1,50 in Germany until there is a vaccine.

I was only pointing out that all cinemas world-wide did not have the same % of limited capacity. So your explanation of what is happening in Germany wasn't needed.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Appreciated your post, @jan1985.
    UK cinema chains expected to delay re-openings if ‘Tenet’ shifts again.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/uk-exhibitors-expected-delay-reopenings-tenet-shifts-again-1202990751/
  • I agree with this comment on the article:

"Release the new films in the markets that are better off covid-wise than the US.

Moviegoers EVERYWHERE in the world should not be penalised because the US has an incompetent president who botched the coronavirus response in historic fashion."
    “Penalized” is a very over the top response. These are just entertainment films, let’s not get so heavily emotional over this stuff. If it takes until 2025, I don’t care. Just do it when it’s safe for people to go out.
    “Penalized” is a very over the top response. These are just entertainment films, let’s not get so heavily emotional over this stuff. If it takes until 2025, I don’t care. Just do it when it’s safe for people to go out.

Couldn't agree more.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Couldn't agree more.

I agree, too.
  • “Penalized” is a very over the top response. These are just entertainment films, let’s not get so heavily emotional over this stuff.
    It's not exactly inaccurate though, is it? "One person (or country in this case) can't have it so no one else can". Again, these are forms of entertainment in the end but they are important in their own way.
  • If it takes until 2025, I don’t care.
    It's easy to say things like that. Keep in mind that this could affect Bond too, the reason why you're on this forum.
    If it takes until 2025, I don’t care.
    It's easy to say things like that. Keep in mind that this could affect Bond too, the reason why you're on this forum.

I'm outraged that we don't already have 24 Bond films to talk about endlessly on this forum.
    I read an article that stated Oxford could have a viable vaccine ready for use by September. Based upon what some physician friends have told me, I think we'll see a vaccine by the end of year.
  • Burgess wrote: »
    I read an article that stated Oxford could have a viable vaccine ready for use by September. Based upon what some physician friends have told me, I think we'll see a vaccine by the end of year.

Maybe but the Oxford vaccine has yet to pass the phase 2 and 3 trials. 90% of new vaccines fall at these hurdles. Optimism should go hand in hand with caution.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I'm outraged that we don't already have 24 Bond films to talk about endlessly on this forum.

Let's be honest, we'll never get tired of "Arnold vs Newman" discussions ;)
    Walecs wrote: »

Let's be honest, we'll never get tired of "Arnold vs Newman" discussions ;)

We still haven’t reached a final verdict on whether Sylvia Trench should reappear in Goldfinger or not
  • I'm outraged that we don't already have 24 Bond films to talk about endlessly on this forum.
    Yes, but this is a brand new film that's coming out after a long gap, that's been pushed back several times already and we've all been looking forward to for a very long time now (and some people want to guess the whole plot on the main production thread as it is now). I feel like I'm constantly being made into a bad guy on this forum for actually wanting to see this film as soon as feasibly possible. I think this staggered release date idea could be the best chance of this happening (along with other films where possible).