No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I have been back to the cinema this weekend (UK) to watch The Dark Knight (and then Rises) in IMAX, and the experience has been by and large the same, although when the cinema is 95% empty, you're almost watching it on your own.

On a similar note I saw Dunkirk in IMAX last week, and out of a 300 seat screen, there were two people (myself included).

I think NTTD releasing in November is highly optimistic. I am an optimist and want it to release. They're really in a difficult spot, I wouldn't want to be in EoN's shoes at the moment. All available scenarios seem bad. I suppose which is the least worst. They will probably try and delay for a cinema release for as long as possible, but they can't do that forever.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,686
    US cinema chains unlikely to re-open until September ''at the earliest''.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/analyst-cuts-box-office-estimate-no-cinemas-before-september-1302969

----

Deadline is now also reporting that Tenet is unlikely to open in August.

Box office in 2020 is expected to decline by nearly 70% from the $11.4 billion taken in during 2019. That would be worse than the 55% to 60% plunge previously forecasted.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/tenet-release-unlikely-in-august-2020-movie-box-office-to-drop-70-percent-analyst-predicts-1202983984/amp/
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Mallory wrote: »
    I have been back to the cinema this weekend (UK) to watch The Dark Knight (and then Rises) in IMAX, and the experience has been by and large the same, although when the cinema is 95% empty, you're almost watching it on your own.

On a similar note I saw Dunkirk in IMAX last week, and out of a 300 seat screen, there were two people (myself included).

I think NTTD releasing in November is highly optimistic. I am an optimist and want it to release. They're really in a difficult spot, I wouldn't want to be in EoN's shoes at the moment. All available scenarios seem bad. I suppose which is the least worst. They will probably try and delay for a cinema release for as long as possible, but they can't do that forever.

Trump has washed his hands of Covid-19, so here in the US the earliest we could see any governmental support for attempting to quash the spread is mid-January...

With those dates in mind, NTTD will then be opening in mid- or late 2021, or on demand.

Congratulations on going back to the cinema! Every ticket sold helps keep them in business. I hope the place was COVID-safe.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland

They are going to build a new cinema to my town. How good The Dark Knight was in the cinema?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

Congratulations on going back to the cinema! Every ticket sold helps keep them in business. I hope the place was COVID-safe.

It seemed so. We were well spaced out and they made us sanitise our hands etc. The ushers were good at managing everything and all cinemagoers did their bit.
    MSL49 wrote: »

They are going to build a new cinema to my town. How good The Dark Knight was in the cinema?

As they had loads of sequences filmed in imax, it was incredible!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    All cinemas in California to close with immediate effect. No end date given.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/california-gavin-newsom-closes-restaurants-indoor-operations-in-state-1202984427
    Coronavirus can go take a long walk on a short pier.
    A complete shutdown in L.A is on the brink of being issued as hospitals are near full capacity, and new infections are surging.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/los-angeles-near-red-theat-level-coronavirus-hospitalizations-la-county-stats-1202984844/
    EON should release NTTD in Europe right now before a potential second wave starts here.
    The_Return wrote: »
    EON should release NTTD in Europe right now before a potential second wave starts here.

And have NTTD be a huge box office bomb? A Europe-centric release is not an option. EON cannot rely on a single continent to release a $200 million budget blockbuster.
    This film isn't coming out for a long time.

And have NTTD be a huge box office bomb? A Europe-centric release is not an option. EON cannot rely on a single continent to release a $200 million budget blockbuster.

At one point I was optimistic that NTTD would release in November. It now seems increasingly unlikely. Even if cinemas do open, it seems like many people won't feel confident enough to go out to cinemas.

It would have to take something pretty major to take place (I'm thinking vaccines and wide distribution, which again, seems like wishful thinking at this point) for things to change.

Also, thank you @DaltonCraig007 for keeping on top of the updates!
    I had a dream a few nights ago that NTTD got pushed back to November of 2021. It seemed absurd at the time, but given the way things seem to be going (especially in the United States, where I live), maybe it's not such a crazy notion. On the plus side, there is something comforting about the fact that a new Bond movie is completely done and in the can. Yes, the wait is excruciating, but a new 007 adventure is waiting for us, and we'll see it eventually!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

All of the Commonwealth! ;)

Nobody said release it in Europe only. I said release it in Europe now. Release it in North America later, when it's safe.

Nobody said release it in Europe only. I said release it in Europe now. Release it in North America later, when it's safe.

That is precisely what you said. A USA release is unlikely until Mid 2021 at the earliest. If you release it in Europe now, the film will be available on Blu Ray before an American release. Hence your solution does not work. EON needs the USA market to be available within a certain distance of the Europe releases (within 2/3 weeks at most).

I don't understand why it is so difficult to realize the pandemic has thrown any release scenarios out of the window for the foreseeable future.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

That is precisely what you said. A USA release is unlikely until Mid 2021 at the earliest. If you release it in Europe now, the film will be available on Blu Ray before an American release. Hence your solution does not work. EON needs the USA market to be available within a certain distance of the Europe releases (within 2/3 weeks at most).

I don't understand why it is so difficult to realize the pandemic has thrown any release scenarios out of the window for the foreseeable future.

EON got "ahead" of things in March and locked down a prime re-release date. I don't envy the position they're in, because if they are going to push it back again and get a prime release date, that decision needs to be made very soon. It must be agonizing knowing that they're still four months away from release.
    TripAces wrote: »

EON got "ahead" of things in March and locked down a prime re-release date. I don't envy the position they're in, because if they are going to push it back again and get a prime release date, that decision needs to be made very soon. It must be agonizing knowing that they're still four months away from release.

EON made the smartest decision possible at the time by being the first major release to delay its release date. Sadly no-one could have predicted at the time that a 7 months delay would most likely not be enough. We are basically at the half-way point between March 2020 and November 2020, and the immediate future still looks very grim.

The only other movie that was also smart from the get-go was Fast 9, which immediately moved to 2021 to secure the best release possible.

The one positive for EON at the moment is there are plenty of available spots in 2021 for a prime release date. As the pandemic keeps worsening in the USA, many planned 2021 movies that were currently filming or in pre-production will have to be delayed to 2022.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 97

First of all, saying that the "USA release is unlikely until Mid 2021 at the earliest" is a huge exaggeration and not true at all. Also, why would a Blu Ray release be inevitable before an American theatrical release in the scenario I was talking about? Is there a law that says a movie has to be released on Blu Ray X months after a theatrical release? Obviously if they released the movie in European cinemas much sooner than in American cinemas, they would hold the European Blu Ray release until the theatrical run of the movie is over everywhere.

In these times movie studios have to think creatively and they have to consider staggered releases. Btw, let's say that your impossible scenario is correct and NTTD cannot be released before summer 2021. In this scenario no big movie can be released before summer 2021, the vast majority of theater chains go bankrupt and NTTD will never be released in cinemas, so they might as well just go the VOD route today.
    First of all, saying that the "USA release is unlikely until Mid 2021 at the earliest" is a huge exaggeration and not true at all.

The pandemic is dramatically worsening in the USA. You are completely clueless if you think the situation will improve anytime soon. Florida is recording more cases every day than the whole of Europe.
    Also, why would a Blu Ray release be inevatibal before an American theatrical release in the scenario I was talking about? Is there a law that says a movie has to be released on Blu Ray X months after a theatrical release

Yes, there is. And why on earth would US theatrical windows apply to foreign states? This is why your solution is nonsensical. Every country has their own theatrical window, which is why for the US to get NTTD months after everyone else makes zero sense, as the Blu Ray would be available everywhere else already.
    @DaltonCraig007 Nobody said the situation will improve anytime soon. Guess what? November is not anytime soon, and summer 2021 is certainly not anytime soon. Literally no expert believes the situation won't be significantly better everywhere by the end of the year.

And who said US theatrical windows would apply to foreign countries? FYI, theatrical window means that film studios promise theaters that they won't release theatrically released movies on Blu-Ray/DVD/VOD for a certain period after the theatrical premiere. Theatrical windows have nothing to do with what I said.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    TripAces wrote: »

EON will know if situation is improving and that's when they will take decision to decide the final date.
    And who said US theatrical windows would apply to foreign countries? FYI, theatrical window means that film studios promise theaters that they won't release theatrically released movies on Blu-Ray/DVD/VOD for a certain period after the theatrical premiere. Theatrical windows have nothing to do with what I said.

This whole discussion is pointless since you won't understand that NTTD will not be released until the US box office is opened. You seem totally unaware there is a ongoing global pandemic.
    Nobody said the situation will improve anytime soon. Guess what? November is not anytime soon, and summer 2021 is certainly not anytime soon. Literally no expert believes the situation won't be significantly better everywhere by the end of the year.

Coronavirus crisis may get ‘worse and worse and worse’, warns the World's Health Organization.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-cases-deaths-who-infection-rate-global-latest-a9616366.html

WHO sounds alarm as coronavirus cases rise by one million in five days.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-global/who-sounds-alarm-as-coronavirus-cases-rise-by-one-million-in-five-days-idUSKCN24E1US?

'Too many countries are headed in the wrong direction' says WHO.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/13/who-says-us-and-brazil-accounted-for-half-of-new-daily-coronavirus-cases.html

There is little chance of a 100-percent effective coronavirus vaccine by 2021, a French expert warned.
    https://www.france24.com/en/20200712-full-coronavirus-vaccine-unlikely-by-next-year-expert

WHO: Pandemic accelerating, global peak still to come
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/pandemic-accelerating-global-peak-still-to-come-who-chief-1.5014246

Covid-19 antibodies may only last ‘weeks’, casting doubt on herd immunity
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-antibodies-last-weeks-herd-immunity-a4490671.html

'Heartbreaking,' say global experts, alarmed at signs US has 'given up' fight to stop Covid-19.
    https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/19/heartbreaking-say-global-experts-alarmed-signs-us-has-given-fight-stop-covid-19

The coronavirus may have mutated to become more infectious, Dr. Anthony Fauci says.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/02/the-coronavirus-may-have-mutated-to-become-more-infectious-dr-anthony-fauci-says.html

It is becoming very clear that @The_Return, @Mendes4Lyfe and @RogerJonMoorePertwee are either Covid-19 deniers or trolls (or both), as they keep derailing every discussion into a circle, no matter how many times other members explain that their arguments and solutions are totally pointless and/or false. It is insane that we have explained to both of you how the USA is the biggest box office market on the planet yet you keep arguing otherwise.
    @DaltonCraig007 I am perfectly aware that there is a ongoing global pandemic. On the other hand you seem totally unaware that the ongoing global pandemic will require creative thinking from movie studios, and that releasing NTTD in safe areas months before releasing it in the US cannot be off the table.

All the links you posted are saying basically one thing: that the situation is getting worse in the US and certain other parts of the word (something I am completely aware of and literally never denied). Guess what? The situation was getting worse and worse in the second half of March in Italy, and now, mere 3 and a half months later it's very much under control there.

It's funny that you call me a covid denier (which I am clearly not), yet you are the one who is thinking about box office and theatrical releases as if the pandemic never happened.
    Guess what? The situation was getting worse and worse in the second half of March in Italy, and now, mere 3 and a half months later it's very much under control there.

Let me fix your quote for you:
    Guess what? The situation was getting worse and worse in April in the USA, and now, mere 2 and a half months later it has gotten very much worse than it was in March.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    It would be better if people just ignore each other comments rather than constantly clashing against each other for having different opinions. To be honest it's getting tiresome.
    @DaltonCraig007 I am perfectly aware that there is a ongoing global pandemic. On the other hand you seem totally unaware that the ongoing global pandemic will require creative thinking from movie studios, and that releasing NTTD in safe areas months before releasing it in the US cannot be off the table.

All the links you posted are saying basically one thing: that the situation is getting worse in the US and certain other parts of the word (something I am completely aware of and literally never denied). Guess what? The situation was getting worse and worse in the second half of March in Italy, and now, mere 3 and a half months later it's very much under control there.

It's funny that you call me a covid denier (which I am clearly not), yet you are the one who is thinking about box office and theatrical releases as if the pandemic never happened.

Just curious are you American? I am. This thing is going nowhere anytime soon. The reason for that is that a significant portion of Americans still think this is just a cough and that masks are for weaklings to wear. There are massive cultural/political reasons why things are so bad here in the U.S. and why they will not be improving by November without some miracle cure.

There have been shootings caused by people asking others to wear masks. It is completely insane here.

Anyways back on topic, where you all think Blofeld ends up? PLEASE do not answer if this was revealed in the alleged plot leaks as I've been avoiding those. I think Waltz can really knock this thing out of the park if he has more to do but I also dont want him to steal any of Rami's thunder and for things to get muddled. I prefer when Bond is facing a singular force of nature of a villain, a la Silva.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,921

First of all, saying that the "USA release is unlikely until Mid 2021 at the earliest" is a huge exaggeration and not true at all. Also, why would a Blu Ray release be inevitable before an American theatrical release in the scenario I was talking about? Is there a law that says a movie has to be released on Blu Ray X months after a theatrical release? Obviously if they released the movie in European cinemas much sooner than in American cinemas, they would hold the European Blu Ray release until the theatrical run of the movie is over everywhere.

In these times movie studios have to think creatively and they have to consider staggered releases. Btw, let's say that your impossible scenario is correct and NTTD cannot be released before summer 2021. In this scenario no big movie can be released before summer 2021, the vast majority of theater chains go bankrupt and NTTD will never be released in cinemas, so they might as well just go the VOD route today.

Your scenario is asking Eon to devalue their IP...they'll never do it and I'd go banco on that.

I understand you want to see it ASAP. We all do. It's just not realistic.
    @echo I don't want to see it ASAP, I haven't particularly cared about NTTD since Boyle left the film. I am not American, but I am very much aware of how bad the situation is there right now. I just remember how bad the situation in for example Italy was a mere 3 and a half months ago.

Also, the state of New York. Man they got this thing under control! Bravo, Governor Cuomo!