Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Okay, it's pretty evident that The Living Daylights wins this round, so we will continue without further ado!

Next round starts now:

You Only Live Twice vs. Quantum of Solace
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    You Only Live Twice
    YOLT every time. Although Question of Sport is not as bad as the haters make out. Infact it's quite good!
    Quantum of Solace

A thrill ride that suits my 007 tastes much better than YOLT. It has better action, a better pace that flows quite smoothly, better and more exotic locations, and a 10x better Bond performance by Craig than Connery's lazy "wish I was somewhere else" attitude.
    Gonna give it to You Only Live Twice. Both have their faults, but to me, QOS has more.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Quantum of Solace for me.
    Haha, what an uneven match! YOLT wins in every department.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    You Only Live Twice

"I...love...you, repeat it please to make sure you get it"

"Don't worry..I get it"
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,497
    You Only Live Twice

These two couldn't be anymore polar opposites.
    I love all the Japanese elements of YOLT. QoS, like too many recent films, could really have been set anywhere without making a difference. The Japanese flavour of YOLT impacts the whole look, feel and sound of YOLT. One of my favourite location Bonds. Plus Sir Sean as a Japanese - excellent. If he was bored, IMO it doesn't really show.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,497
    00Beast wrote:
    Quantum of Solace

A thrill ride that suits my 007 tastes much better than YOLT. It has better action, a better pace that flows quite smoothly, better and more exotic locations, and a 10x better Bond performance by Craig than Connery's lazy "wish I was somewhere else" attitude.

Really? The slums of Haiti and the barren desert of Bolivia are really more exotic than panoramic oceanside volcanoes and the ancient castles in the countryside hills of Japan??? That is certainly a first.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    YOLT, easily.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Get ready for a shock folks: QoS

You are probably saying to yourself "WHAT? But Brady, YOLT has Connery, and you said Connery is always a big factor in your v.s. decisions". Yes, I know I said that, but with YOLT I don't get the same fervor from Sean as in say FRWL or DN. His desire to play Bond lessened more in DAF, when only a paycheck for charity drew him back. QoS is a much deeper film, and pulls no punches. The fights are intense, fast, and brutal, the drama is great, especially in the scene of Bond and Mathis on the plane, Mathis's death, the final scene with Greene, and the absolutely brilliant ending with Yusef. QoS beats YOLT in far more areas than it loses, and though Sean is amazing, I don't feel his heart in it. Dan is dedicated to the role first and foremost.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    QoS Simply because even though I like TSWLM, I don't exactly care for Lewis Gilbert.
  • Tough call. Polar opposites but both middle of the pack type entries. Great reasons listed here to vote for either, I enjoy both very much. Well, Mie Hama is a living goddess, my first "crush" and my favorite ever Bond girl, so for that shallow and superficial reason, I'll pick You Only Live Twice.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Good match-up. QOS wins in my book. YOLT suffers from Connery clearly not wanting to play the role anymore, parts of the film that are too over the top, and the ludicrous sight of Connery disguised as a Japenese fisherman. QOS on the other hand although too short still in my view provides a more satisfying film that YOLT.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited May 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Despite the silliness, YOLT gets my vote over QOS because the girls in YOLT gave Bond a better duck than the girls did in QOS.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    YOLT was the 3rd Bond film I saw on TV as a child and it transformed me from being a casual fan into the 007 fanatic I remain to this day. QOS on the other hand could make me give up all future Bond films if EON continues in that direction.

I solidly cast my vote for YOLT
    Dear me, it seems like QoS is taking a beating. I really actually would have thought it to be the other way around.
    Both are a real disappointment, but You Only Live Twice for me, as Nancy Sinatra does it a big favor with an outstanding title track, and it's a thousand times improvement on the god awful crap of Keys and White abysmal effort, plus the 1967 release does have some worthwhile sequences, I couldn't keep up (sometimes) with what was happening in QOS, too much camera shaking too often, If I wanted that I would of put on The Blair Witch Project or something, QOS is quite rightly in the bottom three, YOLT is not as bad as that, simples
    Close one but YOLT wins.

List of ratings.
    YOLT - 14.
    QOS - 15.
    I think that QOS is not as bad as some claim, yes it has the shaky cam, and it may have far too much action, but, apart from that, it's a good film. I mean, not Oscar worthy but, still good. Plus YOLT is in my opinion too overrated, it's all right, but, you can see that Connery was tired by then... So my vote goes to...
    19. You Only Live Twice
    18. Tomorrow Never Dies
    17. A View To A Kill
    16. Diamonds Are Forever
    15.The World Is Not Enough
    14. Goldfinger
    13. The Living Daylights
    12. Live And Let Die
    11. Thunderball
    10. Quantum Of Solace
    Quantum Of Solace
    I love YOLT its an iconic Bond with an iconic villain but its an action film. A fact you can see in Connerys bored performance. The characters are cardboard.

QoS has more meat on the bone. The characters have an emotional journey.

So, QoS it is...
    Get ready for a shock folks: QoS

You are probably saying to yourself "WHAT? But Brady, YOLT has Connery, and you said Connery is always a big factor in your v.s. decisions". Yes, I know I said that, but with YOLT I don't get the same fervor from Sean as in say FRWL or DN. His desire to play Bond lessened more in DAF, when only a paycheck for charity drew him back. QoS is a much deeper film, and pulls no punches. The fights are intense, fast, and brutal, the drama is great, especially in the scene of Bond and Mathis on the plane, Mathis's death, the final scene with Greene, and the absolutely brilliant ending with Yusef. QoS beats YOLT in far more areas than it loses, and though Sean is amazing, I don't feel his heart in it. Dan is dedicated to the role first and foremost.

Agree 100% QoS for me as well. Plus I love the opera scene. Very Bond.
    YOLT

Anything is better than QoB.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    You Only Live Twice.
    Epic on a scale now forgotten. QOS left me feeling let down.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Quantum of Solace, easily....

for me, You Only Live Twice is a bit of snoozefest... every time I try to sit down and watch YOLT, I start to lose interest, and find myself getting bored - i guess this how Connery felt as well by this point in time, and it shows on screen...

I'll give YOLT the edge in the exotic locations, villains, and musical score department - but beyond that, i can't personally put anything else above QOS, even Connery... while it is still Connery - it's a very lazy, yawn inducing Connery - who's zest for the character seemed to go away with the previous movie.... Craig, being his 2nd outing is much more commanding, and starts to really settle into the role....

Olga and Gemma easily are in a superior class of beauty than the Japanese girls in YOLT...

and while many complain about the nonstop action of QOS, that's part of why i like it over YOLT... it doesn't beat around the bush, it's starts off like a rocket, and never lets up... YOLT has some decent action moments, but the build up takes forever
    QoS is a much deeper film, and pulls no punches.

I couldn't give a s*** about depth in this case. I go on "emotional journeys" all the time. I went to the dentist the other day.

I'd rather have a fun, well made romp with little depth than one that tries but feels a bit lackluster.

I'm not really sure why but Ken Adam's set of the hollowed out volcano is more impressive than the shots of the bolivian desert or the inside of the exploading hotel.
    QOS is total poo, so YOLT wins by a big margain!
    QoS isn't all that bad I admit. I saw it again a couple of nights ago (had seen CR a few of days before so this helped). Its alrite but still very...meh in my book. The plot isn't as compelling as it should be and feels rather undercooked, the action is mediocre at best and the pacing is just reallly erratic. There are some pretty good moments like the TOSCA stuff and the scenes with Bond and Mathis but, as a whole, it's underwhelming - certainly not a patch on CR.

YOLT just feels a bit more satisfying IMO. You appreciate the scale of the filmaking more (in the 60s it must have all looked pretty spectacular). Plus I do like Connery's line: "we were rudely interrupted by a couple of gunmen".

The film has more charm.