Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't know. I re-watched TLD last night, and just every little bit about it is great fun. I think I'm going to have to go with TLD. I probably should have re-watched both before voting. I hadn't seen TLD in two or three years, it feels like.
  • DB5DB5

1. Goldfinger should have won the last round, it's amazing how some of the younger bunch around here disrespect the film and the music that made the series iconic. How times have changed...

"Goldfinger" DID win the last round, albeit by only one vote. I agree, it seems a lot of the votes on this site are based on which Bond people first saw in the movie theater when they were children rather than which is truly the better film.

DB5 wrote:

1. Goldfinger should have won the last round, it's amazing how some of the younger bunch around here disrespect the film and the music that made the series iconic. How times have changed...

"Goldfinger" DID win the last round, albeit by only one vote. I agree, it seems a lot of the votes on this site are based on which Bond people first saw in the movie theater when they were children rather than which is truly the better film.

Or maybe some of us were born 21 years ago, and when we got into Bond, we saw the films at around the same time, and we just slightly enjoy one more than the other. Just because you - or a lot of people - love GF, or find it to be the best, doesn't mean all of us do, as the voting showed. I love FYEO, and I love GF, but I enjoy the former slightly more.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    DB5 wrote:

Or maybe some of us were born 21 years ago, and when we got into Bond, we saw the films at around the same time, and we just slightly enjoy one more than the other. Just because you - or a lot of people - love GF, or find it to be the best, doesn't mean all of us do, as the voting showed. I love FYEO, and I love GF, but I enjoy the former slightly more.

I agree with Creasy, there's simply that special time when Bond first hits you, and usually which ones you see first and have memorable watches with stick with you more. Now with me, when I became a Bond fan, QoS had already come out, so I didn't have a kick-off to start my Bonding with, so I had to go based on the DVDs at Blockbuster. For me, I usually go based on which ones give me that real Bond feel. Relevant to the last round, when I watched FYEO for the first time, it hit me with that epic Bond sensation that I'm sure many other fans are familiar with. As for Goldfinger, it never really hit me, I was just not impressed by anything except Fort Knox quite frankly. I don't particularly care which should be the better movie, simply because that phrase registers to me if I enjoy the movie or not. So anyway, when doing these versus rounds, I always go based on which one I would enjoy watching more and which one has that Bond sensation feel about it.
    @00Beast, exactly. The voting was nearly split down the middle, so of course some of us prefer one over the other. I loved both, but I enjoyed FYEO more. And yes, I think it's true in saying that you love where you start: I was a young boy when my Mom brought home GE on VHS for me, and, in all honesty, from that point to this day, I must have seen the movie close to 200 times. I've always loved it, I'll always love it, and it will always be my favorite.

But yes, it's all opinionated: do YOU, the Community member, prefer this or this? While some of it might seem like fact (DAD vs. ____), there will probably be some out there that love and respect DAD with such ferocity and joy.

If I recall correctly, didn't we have a user on here a little less than a year ago who was a big fan of DAD? Then again, I believe he had a lot of spammy, joke-like posts, so who knows.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    @Creasy47, very much agreed. I have a special place in my heart for GF, it was the first Bond movie I saw, GE, it was the first Bond movie I owned on VHS, and DAD, it was the first Bond movie I saw in theaters.
    A lot of Bond films grow on me over time, TLD has definitley got better with every watch, TWINE on the other hand, I really enjoyed it first time I watced it but it has got worse every time since, So TLD for me!

TWINE
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 172
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS!
    Second best Bond versus the 4th.
    Briliantly adapted Fleming's story vs. also good plot.

But, TLD is my second Bond film, and TWINE the fourth :D
    I prefer TWINE easily over TLD,a Bond film i have never really got on with.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @00Beast, exactly. The voting was nearly split down the middle, so of course some of us prefer one over the other. I loved both, but I enjoyed FYEO more. And yes, I think it's true in saying that you love where you start: I was a young boy when my Mom brought home GE on VHS for me, and, in all honesty, from that point to this day, I must have seen the movie close to 200 times. I've always loved it, I'll always love it, and it will always be my favorite.

But yes, it's all opinionated: do YOU, the Community member, prefer this or this? While some of it might seem like fact (DAD vs. ____), there will probably be some out there that love and respect DAD with such ferocity and joy.

If I recall correctly, didn't we have a user on here a little less than a year ago who was a big fan of DAD? Then again, I believe he had a lot of spammy, joke-like posts, so who knows.

Oh goodness, you must be talking about Jinx! Hahaha, now there was an MI6 classic for spam-posts! I think he or she got kicked out for something, especially considering they haven't been back in a good while.
    @00Beast, that's who! But, I've said it before, as much flak as DAD receives, I can still enjoy. The first half of the movie is great, some of the scenes in Iceland are enjoyable. If I can watch it and look forward to all of those bits, then it isn't too tough a time. I might have to re-watch it tonight. Started TB the other night, have to finish that first.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @00Beast, that's who! But, I've said it before, as much flak as DAD receives, I can still enjoy. The first half of the movie is great, some of the scenes in Iceland are enjoyable. If I can watch it and look forward to all of those bits, then it isn't too tough a time. I might have to re-watch it tonight. Started TB the other night, have to finish that first.

Yes, I agree. DAD receives too many negative comments when in reality, it's not that bad. Brosnan is superb, the locations make the movie pop with energy, the action is spread out and quite entertaining, and the soundtrack is decent as well. My only qualm would be the villains and the dialogue; this is where the majority of the complaints stem from I believe. Let it be said, I enjoy Die Another Day enough to rank it higher than On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Moonraker, You Only Live Twice, and Goldfinger.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Both of these are very, very close.

Dalton is superb, the plot is intricate, and it has a genuine romance, and some classic action scenes. But...

The World Is Not Enough

@00Beast, you're exactly right. It is the crappy dialogue, woeful villains, Jinx, and Playstation 1 CGI, that really hurts it.

@royale65: Couldn't have put it better myself! Take out Jinx, Zao, Gustav Graves (which will correct most of the dialogue), and the horrible CGI, and we've got no problem.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    @royale65: Couldn't have put it better myself! Take out Jinx, Zao, Gustav Graves (which will correct most of the dialogue), and the horrible CGI, and we've got no problem.

We would have a 20 minute Bond film. Now, there's a problem! =))
    00Beast wrote:

I came up with an idea that would involve Sean Bean surviving GE (it would've shown him escaping or it wouldn't have shown his death at the end of GE), and somehow filling the role of Graves, with the "for England James" line coming at the end of DAD, on the plane. It might not be a perfect idea but it gives Brosnan kind of an arch enemy and Trevalyn was much better than Graves.

I'd also make North Korea have a more lasting effect on Bond, and I'd tone down the CGI and gadgets. Change the plot from using a diamond powered satellite laser to using nuclear warheads (I know it's kind of a cliche but still I think it's better than a f*cking satellite laser).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I've never understood it when people claim that The World is Not Enough is boring. Why and how exactly? At the very least, it's a very entertaining 2 hours worth of your time, even with its faults.
    00Beast wrote:

Also take out

- Bond stopping his heart
    - the surfing
    - the cheap polysterene snow
    - Mr Kil
    - The laser scene especially "Yo mamma"
    - the inivisible car
    - the naff nods to previous Bond films.

and most of all

- the cringy sex scene

What have you got? Abour two minutes at best.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    There's also Madonna.
    Kerim wrote:
    There's also Madonna.

Indeed. Its a film so bad even bits which would stink out normal movies get lost in the flushing toilet that is DAD.

actonsteve wrote:
    Kerim wrote:
    There's also Madonna.

Indeed. Its a film so bad even bits which would stink out normal movies get lost in the flushing toilet that is DAD.

Its on ITV2 right now. What are you waiting for?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    Kerim wrote:
    There's also Madonna.

The OFF switch.

actonsteve wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Also take out

- Bond stopping his heart
    - the surfing
    - the cheap polysterene snow
    - Mr Kil
    - The laser scene especially "Yo mamma"
    - the inivisible car
    - the naff nods to previous Bond films.

and most of all

- the cringy sex scene

What have you got? Abour two minutes at best.

The first one? Really? That scene on the boat hospital room is incredible. It shows Bond's ability to think on his feet and make good use of what he's got even when he's down on his luck.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    Kerim wrote:
    There's also Madonna.

The OFF switch.

DAD was on BBC America last week and I shamefully admit to watching it.

There was a plus side though. BBC Amercia did have some good promos for upcomimng shows that may be worth a watch. I also played Scrabble on my cell phone while DAD was on. It wasn't a complete waste of three hours.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 14,886
    Getting way off topic here folks. Let's keep it on track, and not get distracted (how could you anyway) by DAD.
    Voting continues on the match of TLD vs TWINE.
    TLD wins easily.

List of ratings.
    TLD - 5.
    TWINE - 20.
    The Living Daylights without question.
    TWINE
    Pro- Elektra, Cigar Girl
    Con- Renaud, Denise Richards, Sh*tty dialogue at the end, John Cleese, weak action seqences

TLD
    Pro- Dalton, Kara, climatic battle at airbase, fight with Necros,
    Con- Koskov

My vote goes to
    TLD
    The Living Daylights.