Pierce Brosnan attempted to make a rival Bond film

2»

Comments

Never say Never again Twice.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Dalton actually saved their arses because filming was fast approaching and they had no Bond. Dalton was able to finish Brenda Starr on a Friday and reported the very next week to fulfill playing Bond. Without Dalton I am not sure who they would have got. I recall Finlay Light (?) being considered.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    thedove wrote: »
    Dalton actually saved their arses because filming was fast approaching and they had no Bond. Dalton was able to finish Brenda Starr on a Friday and reported the very next week to fulfill playing Bond. Without Dalton I am not sure who they would have got. I recall Finlay Light (?) being considered.

That and they had already postponed production once. If they didn’t get Dalton they would have had to push it again.

I actually believed the Finlay Light rumor. Gullible me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes it was a matter of who was available over time.

For Timothy Dalton, his Brenda Starr role played into his deferred commitment. Then Brosnan was approached and was available, then not. By that time Dalton was. So Dalton was the bookend for who got the Bond contract. Timing is everything.

I think it was more his West End commitments that made him unavailable rather than Brenda Starr. By the time Brosnan had left the scene his plays were over and then he was on Starr but they could push production a little for him. I might be wrong but I don't think Starr was the problem.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Oh yeah they had a big old list (as you'd imagine) who they'd been testing names from right from early '86. The Making of TLD book goes through most of them, but I guess by summer '86 you're right to say they didn't really have anyone but Dalton.

Interesting names they were thinking of though, some of them were candidates, some rejected, some didn't want it. Sam Neill, Anthony Hamilton, Bryan Brown, Andrew Clarke (later the Saint), Mel Gibson, Christopher Lambert, Lambert Wilson, Mark Greenstreet, John James, Neil Dickson, Trevor Eve, Simon MacCorkindale.