No Time to Die production thread

Comments

It's me or it's a new picture ?

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I like the holster over the white shirt look.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

No this is new.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

It's from my screengrab collection, but mine has watermarks all over the place. Commander has erased all of them somehow
    He looks a little dehydrated. :P
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    edited June 2020 Posts: 469
    Contraband wrote: »

It's from my screengrab collection, but mine has watermarks all over the place. Commander has erased all of them somehow

They probably bought the rights or something. Though it can be done on Photoshop, which I have personally done with some of the Williams BTS shots.
    Contraband wrote: »

They probably bought the rights or something. Though it can be done on Photoshop, which I have personally done with some of the Williams BTS shots.

No he hasn't bought any rights. Erased in some program and then added all the text
    This is the original grab

y24GWzU.jpg
    That explains the dehydrated lips and weird colouring on his face.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    That explains the dehydrated lips and weird colouring on his face.

LOL
  • RedNineRedNine Poland

I'm sorry, but I sincerely believe fans have not been treated like dirt. Fans of Bond aren't entitled to anything. They make the films, we enjoy them. The only reason they'd delay the film is so that it is financially successful, and thusly we get more of them in the future. This attitude of entitlement has to go.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a franchise in XXI century to acknowledge their fans and not treat them like money printers with 1k backgammon sets and annoucing how happy and excited they are to secure best possible spot for the delay while you had people already spend money on the tickets (that was MGM to be fair but still). It says something that in the time when different companies realised how much their marketing matter for their product, EON is completely disregarding it and doing much less then they did in early 2000s. I do not expect them to do much, just some acknowledgement would be great

mathilde ..
    bond daughter?
    or simply a child? protected by bond?
    RedNine wrote: »

I'm sorry, but I sincerely believe fans have not been treated like dirt. Fans of Bond aren't entitled to anything. They make the films, we enjoy them. The only reason they'd delay the film is so that it is financially successful, and thusly we get more of them in the future. This attitude of entitlement has to go.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a franchise in XXI century to acknowledge their fans and not treat them like money printers with 1k backgammon sets and annoucing how happy and excited they are to secure best possible spot for the delay while you had people already spend money on the tickets (that was MGM to be fair but still). It says something that in the time when different companies realised how much their marketing matter for their product, EON is completely disregarding it and doing much less then they did in early 2000s. I do not expect them to do much, just some acknowledgement would be great

But an important point to bear in mind - and I hate to say it - is the size and influence of said fan base. the Bond one has always been far smaller, older-skewing, quieter and less social media based than say Marvel or Star Wars, where a whole load more of the 'casual' viewers which are super invested in it beyond just seeing the film once at the cinema. With Bond, most people are more 'casual', full stop. If a similar spoiler to the one we've seen came out for a film like Black Widow, it'd be broken down by a whole lot more YouTube channels and websites and would be spread a lot wider than it is (not to say UK national newspapers running these willy nilly isn't major but this isn't the likes of Collider, Slashfilm, IGN and so on)

But the 'lack of acknowledgement' on the official front is fairly common anyway because marketing exercises - even and especially trailers, posters and so on -by and large ultimately aren't aimed at the people already committed to seeing the film day 1 even if they didn't release anything. And as I mention above, the Bond fanbase isn't as influential and ultimately useful in bringing wider audiences on board than the other franchises...while for stuff like Marvel, fan-driven events like Comic Con work in generating wider coverage in itself from fan reactions, we don't get the same thing here unfortunately.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Can we pump the brakes with this whole "Bond was already a father in YOLT" ? He impregnated a woman, he wasn't a father. He didn't even know that Kissy was pregnant and we don't even know if the child was born.

Bond impregnated a woman in NTTD too and he didn’t even know Swann was pregnant in NTTD too.
    Plus, Bond finds out he has a daughter after 5 years and we genuinely have zero clues about how he will react to it. Then, in the books we don’t know if the child was born only because Fleming died at 56. Beside that, in NTTD he has a daughter with a woman he genuinely loves and since you’re bringing up Fleming, in the novels Bond is far more a real human being with emotions and problems than in the films. In OHMSS he wonders a lot of having a family and children with Tracy - a woman he loves, like Swann - and in YOLT at the beginning is a totally broken and lost man after Blofeld killed her.
    So the answer for your question is not really.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    antovolk wrote: »

But an important point to bear in mind - and I hate to say it - is the size and influence of said fan base. the Bond one has always been far smaller, older-skewing, quieter and less social media based than say Marvel or Star Wars, where a whole load more of the 'casual' viewers which are super invested in it beyond just seeing the film once at the cinema. With Bond, most people are more 'casual', full stop. If a similar spoiler to the one we've seen came out for a film like Black Widow, it'd be broken down by a whole lot more YouTube channels and websites and would be spread a lot wider than it is (not to say UK national newspapers running these willy nilly isn't major but this isn't the likes of Collider, Slashfilm, IGN and so on)

But the 'lack of acknowledgement' on the official front is fairly common anyway because marketing exercises - even and especially trailers, posters and so on -by and large ultimately aren't aimed at the people already committed to seeing the film day 1 even if they didn't release anything. And as I mention above, the Bond fanbase isn't as influential and ultimately useful in bringing wider audiences on board than the other franchises...while for stuff like Marvel, fan-driven events like Comic Con work in generating wider coverage in itself from fan reactions, we don't get the same thing here unfortunately.

This is always important to remember - we are a tiny fanbase in comparison with most major film series out there. We're more comparable with the Alien or Predator fanbase in many respects.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400

This is very true - but only really relevant to the 'internet community.'

Fundamentally, the same conversations tend to take place online for films that the 'internet community' are invested in. For example, there are hundreds of videos and thinkpieces about Birds of Prey, or Henry Cavill returning as Superman, or Marvel's Phase 4, etc.

However, these conversations are strictly limited to that echo-chamber. The same people having the same conversation on the internet. It's why folk like Grace Randolph, Jeff Snider, Midnight Edge, John Campea, Collider have a platform. These people are really just having the same conversation and speaking over each other.

Bond doesn't have as loud a voice in this community. That is true. However, Bond has a big voice in other forums, in particular British tabloids (who report on the franchise to no end), and more legitimate publications such as BBC and The Guardian. When they announce a new Bond film it's on the six-o-clock news. When they delayed due to coronavirus it had a whole segment on Sky.

Plus the box office numbers and the history of the franchise mean that it competes with the Marvel/DC/Star Wars films. In fact, the last 2 Bond films grossed more than any individual film in the DCEU.

The truth is the film gossip blogs don't really care about Bond...they just participate in the conversations they have amongst themselves - basically anything to do with Star Wars and comic-books.

But the audience is bigger and wider. For example, Birds of Prey was one of the most discussed films within the 'internet community', it didn't help that film one iota at the box office despite strong reviews from mainstream critics.

source.gif

But I do agree moving forward Bond does need to adapt and cater somewhat to the blog crowd. Hence why the tone and casting of the next Bond is so important and why they will likely go younger.

This is always important to remember - we are a tiny fanbase in comparison with most major film series out there. We're more comparable with the Alien or Predator fanbase in many respects.

This is very wrong.

Bond's fanbase is huge. It just doesn't excite the American bloggers. That's kinda it...for example, when Bond began filming in Jamaica for NTTD and set pictures leaked it made headlines! Billie Eilish was all over the Evening standard when she was announced! When Danny Boyle quit in made the front pages!

img.jpg
    DlJ5dBlW4AAe63c?format=jpg&name=small
    Daily_Express_26_4_2019.jpg
    Daily_Mail_26_4_2019.jpg
    The_Scotsman_26_4_2019.jpg
    s-l400.jpg

For some reason, the American YouTube film celebrities don't react to Bond. they just love Disney. Circulation in the national press has a bigger impact than the same old folk watching or tweeting the same sources to the same people.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    But I do agree moving forward Bond does need to adapt and cater somewhat to the blog crowd. Hence why the tone and casting of the next Bond is so important and why they will likely go younger.
    A great post there @antovolk

And yes, these are my exact thoughts @Pierce2Daniel Its also why I think EON are gonna be keeping their eye on the success of Reeves’/Pattinson’s The Batman next year.

edited June 2020 Posts: 8,026
    This is very wrong.

Bond's fanbase is huge. It just doesn't excite the American bloggers. That's kinda it...for example, when Bond began filming in Jamaica for NTTD and set pictures leaked it made headlines! Billie Eilish was all over the Evening standard when she was announced!

img.jpg

For some reason, the American YouTube film celebrities don't react to Bond. they just love Disney.

You seem to have misunderstood. I was talking about the hardcore fanbase here. The ones that seemingly feel they are owed something. You know, the thing that was mentioned above? ;)

Not the casual audience, not tabloids, and not Youtube channels that most sane people don't give a fiddlers about.

So no, it's not wrong.
    You're right @Pierce2Daniel in that Bond does generate these sorts of headlines, just look that spoiler spreading like wildfire amongst UK press this morning ...but the Bond community doesn't nearly have that sort of hyperactive drive the comic book/geek franchise fanbases do. And when it comes to the original point about EON 'treating' the fans, organising fan-led events, accessible merch etc, that latter aspect is what that comes down to.
    You're right @Pierce2Daniel in that Bond does generate these sorts of headlines, just look that spoiler spreading like wildfire amongst UK press this morning ...but the Bond community doesn't nearly have that sort of hyperactive drive the comic book/geek franchise fanbases do. And when it comes to the original point about EON 'treating' the fans, organising fan-led events, accessible merch etc, that latter aspect is what that comes down to.

Exactly.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Denbigh wrote: »
    A great post there @antovolk

And yes, these are my exact thoughts @Pierce2Daniel Its also why I think EON are gonna be keeping their eye on the success of Reeves’/Pattinson’s The Batman next year.

They're going to have their own bat problems.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400

I think it might have something to do with the 'Bond brand' - it isn't about big events and packing out Hall H, selling lunchboxs and having theme park rides.

The brand exists on the element of 'exclusivity.' It's not the sort of brand you can sell, it's an aspirational brand. It's about Tom Ford, Aston Martin, Bollinger, Omega, exotic travel etc.

auo030-sunseeker-sovereign-17-large.jpg?itok=Ze3Ww8Dq

It's not about Hall H, it's about the Albert Hall premiere with the Royal family. Not anyone can get a ticket.

In this respect, Bond knows it's brand well. It's because of the above that the franchise thrives and why each film feels like an 'event.'

3d9015004f4dcb0f765ab1cd4737a562.jpg
    This is very wrong.

Bond's fanbase is huge. It just doesn't excite the American bloggers. That's kinda it...for example, when Bond began filming in Jamaica for NTTD and set pictures leaked it made headlines! Billie Eilish was all over the Evening standard when she was announced!

img.jpg

For some reason, the American YouTube film celebrities don't react to Bond. they just love Disney.

You seem to have misunderstood. I was talking about the hardcore fanbase here. The ones that seemingly feel they are owed something. You know, the thing that was mentioned above? ;)

Not the casual audience, not tabloids, and not Youtube channels that most sane people don't give a fiddlers about.

So no, it's not wrong.

sorry, my bad.

Yes, the core fanbase is smaller than the big brands like Marvel, Star Wars etc. @antovolk is right that if Eon want the attention these franchises get it would have to change. But why would they? Their brand is so very strong.

Maybe they can do comic-con in a few years. But beyond that, I can't see the point of breaking their usual marketing practises. They just need to focus on making good films fundamentally.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,026

I think it might have something to do with the 'Bond brand' - it isn't about big events and packing out Hall H, selling lunchboxs and having theme park rides.

The brand exists on the element of 'exclusivity.' It's not the sort of brand you can sell, it's an aspirational brand. It's about Tom Ford, Aston Martin, Bollinger, Omega, exotic travel etc.

auo030-sunseeker-sovereign-17-large.jpg?itok=Ze3Ww8Dq

It's not about Hall H, it's about the Albert Hall premiere with the Royal family. Not anyone can get a ticket.

In this respect, Bond knows it's brand well. It's because of the above that the franchise thrives and why each film feels like an 'event.'

3d9015004f4dcb0f765ab1cd4737a562.jpg

Nice photos. Which premiere was the one with Charles? SP?
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited June 2020 Posts: 524

I wasn't a Bond fan yet in the Brosnan years (I wasn't even born when GE released) but it seemed that at that time, Bond was more accessible than now. There were games, books, merch...

But as @Pierce2Daniel mentioned, Bond is about exclusivity these days. Every man wants to be like him, but only few can. Only few can drive Astons, only few can wear what he wears, only few can gather for an exclusive event like Secret Cinema.

And when Bond (EON) has something to announce, they don't go for Comic Con, no. They do their own little broadcast, that doesn't get traction because Endgame opened in the States the next day. Talk about reading the room.

So Bond has a choice to make: either keep it exclusive, remain that strong brand. But know that the fan base gets older, and headlines need to be made outside the UK tabloids if you want to survive as a franchise. Or play to the US market, do the cons, grab the younger viewer, make that spin-off. But then you're stepping on the toes of the 'traditionalist' Bond fans who don't want change and get up on their hind legs when a black actress gets cast as a 00 agent, because she might've taken Bond's 007 number in his absence.

Either way, the choice is theirs to make. But at this time, they don't make that choice, they try to do both. Funko Pops and Backgammon sets. They revitalised their social media output, we got a new Bond clip every day. And now, silence. Did the new team get fired already?

There's no clear line in EON's own marketing, and it may harm the franchise in the long term.
    Promoting the brand when a new film is within reach is easy. It's the period that comes after, when they're looking for a new leading man, that's difficult.

I wasn't a Bond fan yet in the Brosnan years (I wasn't even born when GE released) but it seemed that at that time, Bond was more accessible than now. There were games, books, merch...

But as @Pierce2Daniel mentioned, Bond is about exclusivity these days. Every man wants to be like him, but only few can. Only few can drive Astons, only few can wear what he wears, only few can gather for an exclusive event like Secret Cinema.

And when Bond (EON) has something to announce, they don't go for Comic Con, no. They do their own little broadcast, that doesn't get traction because Endgame opened in the States the next day. Talk about reading the room.

So Bond has a choice to make: either keep it exclusive, remain that strong brand. But know that the fan base gets older, and headlines need to be made outside the UK tabloids if you want to survive as a franchise. Or play to the US market, do the cons, grab the younger viewer, make that spin-off. But then you're stepping on the toes of the 'traditionalist' Bond fans who don't want change and get up on their hind legs when a black actress gets cast as a 00 agent, because she might've taken Bond's 007 number in his absence.

Either way, the choice is theirs to make. But at this time, they don't make that choice, they try to do both. Funko Pops and Backgammon sets. They revitalised their social media output, we got a new Bond clip every day. And now, silence. Did the new team get fired already?

There's no clear line in EON's own marketing, and it may harm the franchise in the long term.
    Promoting the brand when a new film is within reach is easy. It's the period that comes after, when they're looking for a new leading man, that's difficult.

In the most part we are talking about marketing here. The real crux is the film itself.

If the franchise wants to appeal to a younger audience, then they need to make a product that appeals to that audience. Like, get the Safdie Brothers to direct. Then you have a film that will hopefully satisfy the purists but excite a new generation.

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think the recent somewhat obscurity surrounding Bond, is as a result of the franchise not using majority of its requisite escapist elements that casual Bond fans like about the franchise. So the casual Bond fans have sort of deserted the franchise but keeps a blurry eye on it, leaving only the Ardent Bond fans to fully follow the franchise....It's looking increasingly evident that Casual Bond fans are more than the Avid Bond fans.
    Bond should not be compared to the comic book/Disney brands and their fanbases. Firstly, Bond is less US-centric (no main American characters in the series other than Felix and the occasional girl or villain), a national icon in the UK, and with a broad and cross-generational global following. I think it should stay that way... the marketing should be more present in Cannes not Comic Con.
    Bond should not be compared to the comic book/Disney brands and their fanbases. Firstly, Bond is less US-centric (no main American characters in the series other than Felix and the occasional girl or villain), a national icon in the UK, and with a broad and cross-generational global following. I think it should stay that way... the marketing should be more present in Cannes not Comic Con.

Absolutely. Also, it would be disheartening if they felt they had to cater to younger audiences, because Bond was always meant for adults. That should always be its niche.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 3,164
    It may just be me and I've said this before but I always disliked how aloof the Bond 'brand' has been, and personally yes, would like to see the sort of things like Comic-Con happen. Do a fan event where the trailer premieres, hold a fan screening and/or Q&A with Craig and Cary etc before or at the same time as the press shows. So that all the stuff doesn't happen at arm's length from fans, but actually gets fans directly involved. Is there a way to achieve that while keeping the 'class' of the Bond brand?

David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a brilliant case study (of a bygone era too expensive to replicate even by today's studio standards) of a campaign that did just that...
    http://199.230.111.27/work/mouthtapedshut
  • RedNineRedNine Poland

It's true. However, the question remains whether the state of fanbase is purely because that's how it is or maybe there is potential for the franchise to grow but EON just wastes it. I can see how there might be a good number of people who would like to get more involved but the lack of new content just makes it harder for them to stay intrested. Frankly, they just seem to be content with what they get while putting minimum amount of effort.