No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I can understand him wanting to come back and get it right, but is this the only way to do it? It's just nuts. It's like they have no real clue why SP failed (creatively).

I honestly and simply do not want to watch this film. If anyone asked me if I wanted to watch a Bond film where he isn't 007, and containing all of the other plot threads revealed over the past few weeks, then I would have said 'no thanks'.

Anyway, the creative team at EON should follow their instincts. They shouldn't listen to what fans want. I agree with all that. If they have confidence in all of this then fine. I suppose I should keep an open mind until it comes out (believe me I have tried, I really have).
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    pattabra wrote: »
    99% chance the movie's final moment is a strong hint that Bond might still be alive after all followed by a cut to the "James Bond Will Return" card. Calling it now.
    as we ve already seen in previous movie?

i dont know , this time it might be something different, because it s last craig movie...

Fukunaga already confirmed that the film will end with the JB will return card.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,518
    I can understand him wanting to come back and get it right, but is this the only way to do it? It's just nuts. It's like they have no real clue why SP failed (creatively).

I honestly and simply do not want to watch this film. If anyone asked me if I wanted to watch a Bond film where he isn't 007, and containing all of the other plot threads revealed over the past few weeks, then I would have said 'no thanks'.

Anyway, the creative team at EON should follow their instincts. They shouldn't listen to what fans want. I agree with all that. If they have confidence in all of this then fine. I suppose I should keep an open mind until it comes out (believe me I have tried, I really have).

He isn't 007 in Licence to Kill, any more than he is in NTTD (allegedly). And Nomi isn't confirmed to be 007, despite what rumours might be out there. And all plot leaks, IMO, aren't confirmed until November (maybe) when the film comes out.

It's sad if you as a Bond fan aren't excited about a new Bond film, but for me nothing could keep me out of that theatre when it hits. Am I excited about every rumoured plot point? No. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and watch the film, and I'm excited to do so. To me that's what being a fan is.
    matt_u wrote: »
    pattabra wrote: »
    Fukunaga already confirmed that the film will end with the JB will return card.

That's the best news I've seen on this thread for ages!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Bond is not 007 in the YOLT novel too.
    I couldn’t be happier seeing they are taking lot of inspiration from the big ideas in that book. JB goin on a mission without his signature license, JB possibly “dying”, the idea of JB being a father...

Good point, agent 7777. And it's one of my favourite novels.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    We just hope this film thrills. It really needs to be a Global Behemoth like the other pace-setting Bond films, to guarantee this franchise more decades. I never envisaged myself being in a worrisome state for NTTD....especially at the somewhat 11th Hour.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Don't watch then, it's no skin off my nose.

Wait for the next era, I hated the last one but I'm willing to see what this one delivers, if you have given up with that much why are you even in the thread?
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Shardlake wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Had EON set out right from CR to serialize all of Craig's films, they wouldn't have written themselves into problems. Everything looks too Contrived to be honest. At least if we heard Silva, Madeleine or Blofeld's name in CR, it would have been more believable. Had another Director Directed SP, it would have had a different narrative entirely....and NTTD would have been another fresh Bond Entry.

I think it's fair to say SP is the instigator of the problems in Craig's Era, because it went back and made Le Chiffre, Greene & Silva SPECTRE agents out of nothing and made Mr. White Madeleine's father.....It's amazing how a single film can create problems for other quality films.

I have no problem with them going back to what was established in CR & QOS, though SF should have remained standalone.

It is the way they did it, hamfisted and contrived, there is plenty in those first 2 films to do something interesting and within the universe we are in believable but they slung together a piss poor idea of Bond and ESB being connected as far as Bond's childhood.

They could have done the connecting to the first 2 films and introduced ESB. I don't mind personal but SF should have been it.

Though and I know some of you think that Craig should have bailed and this should have been the beginning of new era but it is what it is and he didn't.

The idea that each film could now be separate was gone so yes they could have ended DC's era on a standalone but I don't think that would have lured him back. There was unfinished business and I think they wanted to make the last film more valid than it currently appears.

Just a thought.

Yeah, it's quite depressing to be honest. All we can do now is hope for the best for NTTD....and it's not too good to Hope, feels fortuitous at times. Few months back, I was feeling upbeat. Now in a span of few days, am beginning to feel like TENET might be a better Spy film than NTTD....which isn't too good, even if am a Nolan fan.
    I feel sorry for you guys honestly, if the forums have such a detrimental effect on your excitement for the next Bond film, then why come here? Or is it other places you're learning about all these "dire" NTTD revelations?
    I come here because it feeds my excitement / general love of Bond. :P
    I couldn’t be happier seeing they are taking lot of inspiration from the big ideas in that book. JB goin on a mission without his signature license, JB possibly “dying”, the idea of JB being a father...

Not to mentions those rumours of a Castle with a "garden of death", Bond choking Safin to death with his bare hands, and the general Japanese influence.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    Can we pump the brakes with this whole "Bond was already a father in YOLT" ? He impregnated a woman, he wasn't a father. He didn't even know that Kissy was pregnant and we don't even know if the child was born.

As to why this whole potential plot is unlikely to work is simple- that's just a incredibly lazy writing. Oh, you weren't sold on the relationship between two people ? Make them have a baby, now they will be forced to make it right ! Your character needs motivation to perform impossible task and you can't be bothered with thinking about something original ? Put his child in danger, he will have to go to action ! It is incredible how in short amount of time we may see two big franchises- Bond and Star Wars- take completely different approaches after their controversial films, Star Wars with trying to erase the movie and Bond embracing it and even going further, and to have both films be a failure. Honestly, having Bond be a father and rescue his kid is on par for me with bringing Palpatine back to life in Star Wars in terms of lazy and failed attemps at having the audience make an emotional connection to the story. Just have Bond have a dog in Jamaica that gets killed so we can tick all the boxes in Hollywood's cheesiest ways to make you sad during a movie
    RedNine wrote: »
    Can we pump the brakes with this whole "Bond was already a father in YOLT" ? He impregnated a woman, he wasn't a father. He didn't even know that Kissy was pregnant and we don't even know if the child was born.

As to why this whole potential plot is unlikely to work is simple- that's just a incredibly lazy writing. Oh, you weren't sold on the relationship between two people ? Make them have a baby, now they will be forced to make it right ! Your character needs motivation to perform impossible task and you can't be bothered with thinking about something original ? Put his child in danger, he will have to go to action ! It is incredible how in short amount of time we may see two big franchises- Bond and Star Wars- take completely different approaches after their controversial films, Star Wars with trying to erase the movie and Bond embracing it and even going further, and to have both films be a failure. Honestly, having Bond be a father and rescue his kid is on par for me with bringing Palpatine back to life in Star Wars in terms of lazy and failed attemps at having the audience make an emotional connection to the story. Just have Bond have a dog in Jamaica that gets killed so we can tick all the boxes in Hollywood's cheesiest ways to make you sad during a movie

Welcome. You're going to fit in great.
    "I've always accepted death as the likely end to my profession."
    "You have a daughter now, James. You have no time to die anymore."

I kinda love this dialogue...I hope something like this appears in the film.

CONS

Personally, I'm in two minds about Mathilde. On one side it feels a little soap-opera-esque. In fact it feels like a very Sam Mendes move. After all SF was about 'mothers', SP was about 'fathers', and it would make sense for that trilogy to end on the 'children.' You can make a strong argument this type of stuff doesn't belong in a traditional Bond film. But do we really want to see Bond save a child? I'm most fearful that this ending will just give way to platitudes and false emotion.

Also, what will the character of Mathilde be like? Precocious? Shy? I have zero idea what the personality of a 5 year-old is like. We aren't gonna have to watch some plucky kid save the day by pressing a button or something whilst her parents are in danger...

Essentially, there is a lot of room for such a storyline to go wrong.

PROS

But I'm not against it either. In fact, there are a lot of interesting dramatic possibilities. For one thing, it gives Lea Seydoux more to do. Another is that Daniel Craig will get to perform scenes as Bond we have never seen him in before. There is always a fear in Bond that the actors are essentially being forced to do the same scenes over again.

Plus, I think it's kinda funny and subversive having the Bond girl from a previous film turn up with child. It's not like Bond is a champion for monogamy. So this situation was bound to happen to him eventually...

Fukunaga also has a lot of experience working with child actors. All his projects deal with childhood trauma to some extent. So he is a very good pair of hands for this type of storyline, so I have faith he knows what he's doing.

Nonetheless, like I said this story gives both Seydoux and Craig more meat to chew on. Which is no bad thing....

lea-seydoux-and-daniel-craig-1445895098-view-0.jpg

Think it'll either work well or well be terrible - it'll all be in the execution - those lines have given me hope that it might just actually work. Just hope the 'secrets' in the PTS isn't just that Maddy is pregnant!

Thanks.

I don't think her 'secret' is that she is pregnant. Clearly her secret is connected to Safin....I also think there will be a thematic through-line with Madeleine as the film opens with her as a young girl. Hence why it could be emotionally resonate for it to end with her grown up with her daughter.....I think Madeleine is very much the lead of this story.

@GadgetMan - I actually think a few names on that list wouldn't care. However, a number of those actors will probably be desperately jealous of the material Craig gets. He get's to do a lot with the character. You don't associate Bond with as much range as they give Craig.

Also, it's kinda strange that so many years since CR that we now have the inclination that Mr White is actually the grandfather to Bond's child. We all knew he'd be important going forward. But not this significant a character.

Mr._White_during_the_meeting.png?ssl=1

I was joking about her secret being her pregancy!
    Shardlake wrote: »

Don't watch then, it's no skin off my nose.

Wait for the next era, I hated the last one but I'm willing to see what this one delivers, if you have given up with that much why are you even in the thread?

Just because of you, Shardlake, just because of you.
    He does have a point. But we can’t judge it as lazy writing from an almost confirmed rumour and statistics. We’ll have to wait and see how it pans out.
    I feel sorry for you guys honestly, if the forums have such a detrimental effect on your excitement for the next Bond film, then why come here? Or is it other places you're learning about all these "dire" NTTD revelations?

So do I, and to discuss the films with knowledgeable fans. That's fair, isn't it? I am discussing NTTD on the NTTD thread, and the relevant topics on the other threads. I though that was how it worked? It's not the threads that are having a detrimental effect on my excitement for the next one, either.

These are HYPE-forums. If you want to bad mouth something or express your concerns there’s the Corona Virus pseudo-political thread for that!!

lol, kidding :) Carry on.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

A big +1 to that. For one thing i enjoy my time here, there are lots of threads on such different topics to enjoy.
    "No time to have a child"...
    (called Matilde)
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited June 2020 Posts: 573
    Wow. This thread.

I'm glad others bring up the YOLT novel. I'm glad that others bring up that he didn't even know about James Suzuki. It seems that it's going to be similar in NTTD. A little nod and doff of the cap so to speak. I do wonder had Fleming lived longer whether he'd have broached the subject at all somehow. I'm unsure if he ever spoke about James Suzuki beyond what was written on the page.

I've absolutely no problem with the idea. I think Bond has that kind of duality about him. What is his life beyond his job? He wrestles with the idea and it never quite works out like he's eternally cursed depending on your perspective. Not only that but he doesn't know his life apart from the job. So he's always stuck with this internal war inside him. There's some great lines in the novels about this but I'm lazy. I've always regarded novel Bond as one giant hypocrite because of that and you know what... I'm OK with that because he's human.

And it's precisely because he's human and with the amount of bonking he does that he ends up with a girl pregnant. That's just what happens.

If we are going with the premise that Mathilde is Bond's daughter then it seems that Mathilde is a driving force for the plot and a potential motive for what Bond does. At the end of the day I don't think it would sit well with him at this mature age in the arc to completely disregard Mathilde. As you get older, you mature, you learn. Things you believed or did ten or twenty years ago are not quite the same - can he still be a womaniser? Yes. Why not? Womanisers have kids. Some womanisers might even care for their kids. Would Bond? It is up in the air and up for debate. I would say he does but how much? I don't know. I would think given his 'hero' status (though I always see him as some kind of begrudging hero, perhaps even an antihero) that it wouldn't sit right just for him to abandon the child. Does it mean he loves her in that completely overt way that some do? I don't think we'll be seeing that. It'll be Bondian just as his love for particular women is still Bondian.

I don't think Mathilde has a massive part in the film but I think it goes with the internal warring inside of Bond.

Anyway, I hope this makes sense. I really don't want to judge too much. I kind of just want to see the film now and then form a judgement of it afterwards. We're all talking a lot of ifs, buts and maybes and we could all be totally wrong. We all share different opinions and that's the beauty of life and also being human :).

That being said, I may go dark on this thread now and participate elsewhere in the forums. I don't want the ending to be spoilt as it seems like that is still the big thing that we don't know about - does Bond live? Does he die? Does he get a happy ending? Does he get a sad ending? If I was EON I would be absolutely gutted that this came out in June when the film was due for release in April. It would have been a perfect little surprise/twist for everyone to experience rather than reading it in a rag or on some fan boards.

Roll on November.

So do I, and to discuss the films with knowledgeable fans. That's fair, isn't it? I am discussing NTTD on the NTTD thread, and the relevant topics on the other threads. I though that was how it worked? It's not the threads that are having a detrimental effect on my excitement for the next one, either.

That's fair enough. It just feels sometimes that people get off on telling everyone how unexcited they are, how awful NTTD is going to be, etc. The self pity here sometimes reaches masturbatory levels.

The self pity here sometimes reaches masturbatory levels.
    Bond 25 - no time to fap

In fairness, I did consider if we should open up a new thread - the 'Moan about NTTD thread' or something, to give you guys a break haha.
    Oh and a final thing before I go for the night. I am really not being self pitying. Consider it like being a fan of a football team. I am a season ticket holder of a club, but doesn't mean I always like the current manager or the players. I still go to watch, though. Hopefully that makes sense.

Of course not @NickTwentyTwo...I don't intend to spread pessimism. Not saying others here aren't huge Bond fans, coz I know we all are....why else would we be here?. Am only airing out my concern. It's not as if NTTD is following SF, we all know the film it's following, so it's only natural to worry.

I think NTTD is now in the situation GE & CR were years back. GE & CR were critically successful, they're the reason we have NTTD today, so the slightest thought of NTTD failing isn't something one can stomach....not saying NTTD will fail, just saying there's need to feel a bit concerned, as NTTD will determine what happens to the future of the franchise....and the recent plot leaks further fueled my trepidation, but still am hoping the film turns out well.
    Wow. After all this I could really use a sequel to "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." to scratch my 60's type spy itch right about now.
    delfloria wrote: »
    Wow. After all this I could really use a sequel to "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." to scratch my 60's type spy itch right about now.

Really wish there would be a U.N.C.L.E. sequel. Love that film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Hey at least we're getting a direct sequel to Spectre! ;)
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    I think this is the last Bond film produced by EoN. I get the impression they wanted to throw everything at it. It seems huge in scope, brave, and a breed apart from the likes of Tomorrow Never Dies.
    I'm up for very progressive storytelling. SPECTRE suffered from a lack of passion and vision. No Time To Die seems full of energy, passion and inventiveness. Bring it on.