Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,869
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I really do think Callum Turner looks like Hoagy Carmichael....Fleming's Description of What James Bond Should look like....Check out the Similarities in their Looks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond#/media/File:Hoagy_Carmichael_-_1947.jpg

https://flaunt.com/content/callum-turner
    I completely agree @GadgetMan, especially Hoagy in his younger days, but either way, Callum does have that classic Bond look, and should definitely be considered. Also found that some others have already thought the same haha : D

https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/g3h5wo/i_just_want_to_throw_another_possible_bond_actor/
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    mtm wrote: »
    I think the recent delays can be linked to EON now looking over their shoulders a lot....lately. And also the decision to serialize Craig's era, coz you have to be careful putting the script together, so it connects with the last film & that surely takes time. I think the reason Danny Boyle was set to direct so quickly was because, he wasn't going to follow SP's narrative.....Just a standalone Bond film, so he and John Hodge were able to put the story together in time. I don't know maybe EON don't know how unique James Bond is anymore.....they don't need to be scared or feel threatened by other franchises. A return to standalone films with Bond 7 & Bond 26 would be healthier for the franchise.

Just create an intricate plot & remind us Bond is a Naval Officer by adding the military to the plot, Get a complex & beautiful femme fatale, Get a Complex, Beautiful & Independent Love interest, Get an eccentric & unique Villian, surround him with an array of interesting & peculiar Henchmen who frequently stalk Bond, keep up with the standout & innovative action scenes, Take us to exotic & at the same time, ethereal locales, create fear & suspense, add a bit of technology & gadgetry that won't stray from the plot, get a good composer, a good artist, etc...all these can be done without the films being pastiche, it's just a matter of getting the balance right....after all, Older quality films like FRWL, GF, OHMSS, TSWLM, TLD, GE, etc. had all these elements.

If all these colourful elements aren't brought back to the franchise to match with the gritty style, it might begin to lose its escapism. It's only we the Avid Bond fans that love Craig's take on the franchise in movies like CR, QoS & SF, majority of casual fans don't, they want a return to CLASSIC Bond....and it's not difficult to do all these, the Bondian ingredients are already there....it shouldn't be that strenuous. I hope this is EON's plan for Bond 7 & Bond 26.

I really don’t want a slightly tired retread of the old formula: I think CR showed us it doesn’t have to the exact same big base, sacrificial lamb, femme fatale combination of elements. If they can come up with a clever and satisfying plot with a hint of twisted weirdness in there somewhere that’s all it needs I think. Folks have been quite excited by not knowing what happens in NTTD, and that’s down to it not being the old YOLT-style plot.

Sure, I don't want a Predictable or Pastiche plot, I think it's due time to return to classic Bond with a mix of realism & fantasy, but updating it in a modern Bondian way. If you experiment too much with the Bond Formula, it might start heading towards Murky Waters, like we saw with SP....that's why I mention some old classics above. The Balance needs to be gotten right. E.g when Bond's Briefcase & V8 were Arsenals & when Tenacious Henchmen were killing Bond's Contacts, it didn't affect the plot.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Spectre is a return to classic Bond in many ways though.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I really do think Callum Turner looks like Hoagy Carmichael....Fleming's Description of What James Bond Should look like....Check out the Similarities in their Looks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond#/media/File:Hoagy_Carmichael_-_1947.jpg

I completely agree @GadgetMan, especially Hoagy in his younger days, but either way, Callum does have that classic Bond look, and should definitely be considered. Also found that some others have already thought the same haha : D

https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/g3h5wo/i_just_want_to_throw_another_possible_bond_actor/

Wow! I never knew other Bond fans have already noticed as well, So the news is now Prevalent. I would imagine Barbara & Michael have already noticed :)
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Spectre is a return to classic Bond in many ways though.

Yeah, sure....but we all knew what ruined it, they wanted to repeat SF's trick, but went too far, because they felt audiences enjoyed them delving into Bond's past. They could have easily made Blofeld & Hinx more menacing with multiple & suspenseful attempts on Bond's life without connecting Bond with Blofeld.....but they chose something else. Maybe they would have even made Lucia an Evil woman, that uses Bond to her advantage, until he finds out...Wow! Such a missed opportunity, we could go on about SP forever.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    The worrying thing about Craig's era is that it has relied too much on character development and personal revelations, and these things become disastrous in a long-running series like the Bond films. If you can't make good standalone Bond films where he is pretty much the same man at the end of the film as he was at the beginning, then the franchise is in trouble, imo.
    The worrying thing about Craig's era is that it has relied too much on character development and personal revelations, and these things become disastrous in a long-running series like the Bond films. If you can't make good standalone Bond films where he is pretty much the same man at the end of the film as he was at the beginning, then the franchise is in trouble, imo.

Exactly....I Love Craig's Bond, Stellar James Bond....But it's the somewhat inadvertently serialized nature of his Era, that has gotten some of its Narratives into trouble & made his films lose their Standalone Credentials....that's why a lot....a whole lot is expected from NTTD, if his era wasn't serialized, NTTD won't be under this type of Pressure to deliver & We won't be too concern about how NTTD ends....I mean we have to hope NTTD is critically Successful (because financially, it's usually covered)to make Bond relevant for Bond 26.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

Amen.

The irony is that they did it perfectly with CR (ok, they had a blueprint), and then SF was a good standalone (and plenty think it to be one of the very best). It's the SP retconning that has caused many of these problems.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The irony is that they did it perfectly with CR (ok, they had a blueprint), and then SF was a good standalone (and plenty think it to be one of the very best). It's the SP retconning that has caused many of these problems.
    +1

Indeed....the retconning is so visibly contrived.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Wow! I never knew other Bond fans have already noticed as well, So the news is now Prevalent. I would imagine Barbara & Michael have already noticed :)
    Getting Moore vibes from this set photo I found @GadgetMan

Shailene-Woodley-and-Callum-Turner-Film-the-Last-Letter-From-Your-Lover.jpg

Wow! @Denbigh, True....Another great posturing by Callum,he really has that Classic Bond look. The man will rock goodness out of a suit, if chosen. This guy would be perfect casting.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Wow! @Denbigh, True....Another great posturing by Callum,he really has that Classic Bond look. The man will rock goodness out of a suit, if chosen. This guy would be perfect casting.

But the face...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    talos7 wrote: »

But the face...
    The makers of this film certainly saw something haha :D
    890d9a8816c25bc0fc595b5712c1ed4a.jpg
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 686
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Bond is sexy, dirty, and irresistible. He can get any high-value woman! All that's gotta come accross in his features and demeanor. The next guy's gonna have to surpass Craig, even having a fitter body physique. I don't even think the acting part is important as long as he's already the action hero type.

Craig certainly being the least handsome of all Bonds. His body in CR: Compensation Royale
    Bond is sexy, dirty, and irresistible. He can get any high-value woman! All that's gotta come accross in his features and demeanor. The next guy's gonna have to surpass Craig, even having a fitter body physique. I don't even think the acting part is important as long as he's already the action hero type.

Yeah, I don't think a Muscular Body is required to be Bond....Craig just happens to be muscular from the start, coupled with his acting prowess. Not sure Barbara chose Craig because of his muscles....but along the line, Craig's Physicality played a major part. Bond 7 can be fit without being physically Muscular....Just like Lazenby's Bond....Plus, I don't think Bond 7 would be following Craig's Path, it's likely going to be a return to Classic Bond.

Craig certainly being the least handsome of all Bonds. His body in CR: Compensation Royale

Haha quite right!

Yeah, I don't think a Muscular Body is required to be Bond....Craig just happens to be muscular from the start, coupled with his acting prowess. Not sure Barbara chose Craig because of his muscles....but along the line, Craig's Physicality played a major part. Bond 7 can be fit without being physically Muscular....Just like Lazenby's Bond....Plus, I don't think Bond 7 would be following Craig's Path, it's likely going to be a return to Classic Bond.
    Yeah not necessarily muscular but definitely an attractive body. The blue trunks scene is iconic and audiences would compare. I think this is one of the creative decisions they made that the next guy will have to outperform. It's the movie business after all.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Craig was and is a very masculine man; confident and filled with charisma. It’s not about superficial “handsomeness” and muscles, but it is about sex appeal, and Craig, whether you like him or not, has tons of it. It was duly noted his films bring in a swath of straight and gay men and women.
    His own love life outside of film has been an adventure unto itself...

Connery has it. Craig still has it. Lazenby (who I find the least handsome), had it (he walked around like the horse with the biggest d***).

Dalton, who I find to be the most handsome Bond, lacked sexual charisma in my eyes. He did have a terrible physique and looked like he had a little boy body with his shirt off, but more than that, for such a handsome man, he was way too uptight to be sexy.
    Brosnan, superficially pretty was cheese, not sex.
    Moore, charming as hell, but his lack of athleticism (flat-footed and knock-knees), was just a deal breaker for me; I can’t see him as having sex appeal (plus the way he kissed was always a yuck from me).

Long story short, @JeremyBondon , it’s not about handsomeness or “over compensating “ by being muscular; it’s an intangible of sexual charisma and appeal. In my eyes three of the actors clearly had it.
    Three fell short.
    @peter that's the factor I was trying to convey: sex appeal! Haven't seen it in any candidate yet. You know what women would be like if an average looking actor was cast: "Uh, he's too ugly to be James Bond." It's a visual medium after all.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,493
    @peter that's the factor I was trying to convey: sex appeal! Haven't seen it in any candidate yet. You know what women would be like if an average looking actor was cast: "Uh, he's too ugly to be James Bond." It's a visual medium after all.

I find that too @DewiWynBond ... some are pretty, some handsome, some are just plain eek. None has exhibited genuine sex appeal. They hide behind five o’clock shadows and the “intense” glares....

It’s a very special attribute and it may take a while to find the genuine article.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    peter wrote: »

I find that too @DewiWynBond ... some are pretty, some handsome, some are just plain eek. None has exhibited genuine sex appeal. They hide behind five o’clock shadows and the “intense” glares....

It's a shame some folks think their opinions are facts, but I would say it's hard to be so certain: Aiden Turner certainly seemed to get a few pulses racing as Poldark (and didn't seem to be off the tabloid front pages in the first couple of series!) so I wouldn't like to say he hasn't got any 'sexy' factor.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The problem is it's all subjective, so chances are there's gonna be a few Bonds that won't adhere to each person's own descriptions and ideas of 'sex-appeal', and that applies to all aspects of the character which doesn't make the job easy that's for sure. We have our choices but I don't envy EON for what they've got to go through to get the guy.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

It's a shame some folks think their opinions are facts, but I would say it's hard to be so certain: Aiden Turner certainly seemed to get a few pulses racing as Poldark (and didn't seem to be off the tabloid front pages in the first couple of series!) so I wouldn't like to say he hasn't got any 'sexy' factor.

This is true. I've yet to see a single frame of Poldark, but I have seen Turner on the cover of magazines both fully clothed and not. Women love him.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,493
    @mtm-- passive-aggressive remarks don't suit you.

This was my opinion.

I do think A.Turner is very handsome.

I was talking about the three Bonds I think have great sex appeal and the three that don't. My opinion.

I also haven't felt that intangible with any of the candidates mentioned so far. I didn't focus on A. Turner. He's just one of many handsome men, who I feel, doesn't exude sex appeal.

That's all.

You know?

Sure, and all of that... Move on.

Also as an EDIT @MTM: "sexy" and "sex appeal" can be defined as two separate things: A. Turner is appealing to the eye. DC just oozes sex... as Connery and Lazenby did.

Moore, Brosnan, Dalton, in my eyes, as I stated (and you conveniently left out), just don't.

And neither do any of the men we've listed so far (outside of Idris Elba).

• Anyone here watch the show Pennyworth? I'm kind of intrigued by Jack Bannon.

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

This was my opinion.

I was talking about the three Bonds I think have great sex appeal and the three that don't. My opinion.

I also haven't felt that intangible with any of the candidates mentioned so far. I didn't focus on A. Turner. He's just one of many handsome men, who I feel, doesn't exude sex appeal.

That's all.

You know?

Also as an EDIT @MTM: "sexy" and "sex appeal" can be defined as two separate things: A. Turner is appealing to the eye. DC just oozes sex... as Connery and Lazenby did.

Moore, Brosnan, Dalton, in my eyes, as I stated (and you conveniently left out), just don't.

I reckon what @mtm meant to say is it's handy to throw in a 'to me' or 'imo' into the mix once every few sentences, as your reply was heavily laden with strong opinions.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't know any male or female who finds Craig attractive, let alone that he "oozes sex appeal". Craig still looks like a Russian bouncer to me and not Bond, as to many others.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

This was my opinion.

That's all.

You know?

Sure.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,945

This is true. I've yet to see a single frame of Poldark, but I have seen Turner on the cover of magazines both fully clothed and not. Women love him.

Yeah, I don’t know if he has the presence to lead a movie, and maybe it’s hard to go too wrong with Poldark’s bad boy, Mills & Boon stylings, but he certainly made it work more than it usually does to give it sex appeal. For example Ioan Gruffudd (I’m sure mentioned for Bond as well occasionally) played another Poldark in the 90s but didn’t create any stir at all as far as I can remember.
    I’d still need to see him be an effective lead in a movie first though before I’d want him for Bond.

This was my opinion.

That's all.

You know?

I reckon what @mtm meant to say is it's handy to throw in a 'to me' or 'imo' into the mix once every few sentences, as your reply was heavily laden with strong opinions.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't know any male or female who finds Craig attractive, let alone that he "oozes sex appeal". Craig still looks like a Russian bouncer to me and not Bond, as to many others.

Well you just had to be around when CR came out to see how women reacted to him. They even made a lolly of him! :)
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 686