• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Viggo would be a great villain though.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Nope. Viggo is a Burger as well.

A what?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,991
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Bond shouldn’t be a former SAS type as quoted in CR 2006. That is a miss step IMO.

He should always remain a gentleman Commander in the Army. Much more ‘upper crust’.

He was never in the army. At least read a bit of Fleming! :D
    I saw a post about Leiter above. For me, Robert Redford would have been an excellent Felix Leiter.

Not Texan, he also should be thin and tall. Instant rejection.

Unless of course you're suggesting not going by the exact letter of Fleming...?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    EDIT: I personally think the franchise will continue to interpret Fleming's work - as actually pretty much all the previous era's did - as opposed to following it to the letter. The Craig-era certainly honoured and felt more Fleming at certain points, but was definitely a reinterpretation of the character for that time.

Bond 26 should do the same; reinterpret the character for whatever time we're in. Will that mean losing certain smaller details of the character? Sure, but at the end of the day, I think we're able to trust EON enough to know that they'll make sure that whoever they cast, will be Bond for a new era - as well as honouring the ones that came before.

I just don't know if a James Bond who fully, top to bottom, reflects the character in the books is gonna come out of that - even with slight reinterpretations.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I personally think the franchise will continue to interpret Fleming's work - as Craig's era did - as opposed to following it to the letter. His era certainly honoured and felt more Fleming at certain points, but was definitely an re=interpretation of the character for that time.

Bond 26 should do the same reinterpret the character for whatever time we're in. Will that mean losing certain smaller details of the character? Sure, but at the end of the day, I think we're able to trust EON enough to make sure they whoever they cast. It'll be Bond for a new era as well as the ones that came before.

Yeah I certainly think you're right because I can't really see any another way of doing it.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,131
    mtm wrote: »
    Bond shouldn’t be a former SAS type as quoted in CR 2006. That is a miss step IMO.

He should always remain a gentleman Commander in the Army. Much more ‘upper crust’.

I saw a post about Leiter above. For me, Robert Redford would have been an excellent Felix Leiter.

That was a typo. I had SAS on my mind.

I’m sure an American actor could play a Texan. He has the blonde hair and was very slim in his 30’s. So not an auto rejection at all. I don’t recall Fleming mentioning Leiter was tall (boney yes, but not tall). A great suggestion IMO ( as is the point of ‘discussion’ forums).

Your agitated tone is very odd as usual. 🤣

He's a former Royal Navy commander. And SBS. (Vesper was mistaken or speaking more generally as SAS.)

Yes you’re right. Typo and my bad. 👍
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Vesper took a wild guess, and she was as right about that as she was about Bond having a Rolex. And Bond never broke a sweat. He never showed his hand. Except to defend his Omega honour ;)

Redford as Felix would've been a dreamlike casting. He has played a Texan before, btw.
    Paul Newman would've been an equally dreamlike choice, if Bond films had A-listers back then.

Mortensen and Strong are the two Craig's friends that I wished were involved in his era and sadly never were.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,991

Bond was never SAS so I don't know why. You said Commander: they don't even have those in the Army.
    I’m sure an American actor could play a Texan.

It's not so easy to get the accent right, no. You might not be able to spot it but the rest of us could.
    He has the blonde hair and was very slim in his 30’s. So not an auto rejection at all. I don’t recall Fleming mentioning Leiter was tall (boney yes, but not tall). A great suggestion IMO ( as is the point of ‘discussion’ forums).

He did, he was tall, so auto-rejection by your standards.

I think he clearly would have been amazing because he's Robert Redford, but either you live and die by the exact word of Fleming or you don't. Depends if you value great acting over precise physical descriptions. I'd take great acting any day of the week. If you think the point of discussion forums is to make great suggestions without them being shut down for trite reasons then maybe heal thyself, physician.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Typo and my bad. 👍
    It's an item that comes up from time to time, @suavejmf, good to highlight when the opportunity presents.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Bond was never SAS so I don't know why. You said Commander: they don't even have those in the Army.

I think SAS would have been on his mind thanks to Vesper's quote about Bond being an "SAS-type", which he mentioned in the same comment.
    The next bond should be in a football league.
    The next bond should be in a football league.

Tattoo Bond cool.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Make it Beckham, but dub him.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,131

I think SAS would have been on his mind thanks to Vesper's quote about Bond being an "SAS-type", which he mentioned in the same comment.

Exactly mate, thank you. I meant to write Navy.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    You're all gonna hate me again, but I found this deleted scene from Fantastic Beasts 2, whiqh shows Callum playing a bit more of the gentleman that I know others are looking for, although I should the video focuses more on Zoe Kravitz...

...and before you say I know he looks young - but keep in mind again probable timing of Bond 26. I'm not saying cast this guy tomorrow, but in a few years - yes please :)

Although to add, Kravitz would be a great Bond girl.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    You're all gonna hate me again, but I found this deleted scene from Fantastic Beasts 2, whiqh shows Callum playing a bit more of the gentleman that I know others are looking for, although I should the video focuses more on Zoe Kravitz...

...and before you say I know he looks young - but keep in mind again probable timing of Bond 26. I'm not saying cast this guy tomorrow, but in a few years - yes please :)

Sigh...🙄. 😉
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm not saying he couldn't at all, but there's nothing there that makes him seem particularly suitable to me. I didn't find him massively impressive in The Capture either; not bad at all but he didn't scream 'star' to me. I still get stronger Bond vibes from that guy from Gangs of London.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm not saying he couldn't at all, but there's nothing there that makes him seem particularly suitable to me. I didn't find him massively impressive in The Capture either; not bad at all but he didn't scream 'star' to me. I still get stronger Bond vibes from that guy from Gangs of London.
    I can understand that - my other two choices (in order) are Aaron Taylor-Johnson (his voice is his only problem but that can be changed), and Ben Aldridge (who might be "too television")

Really struck by how pedestrian David Yates' direction is.....very much in the Brosnan-era director league.

Callum Turner is sadly all wrong. He has that swarmy Etonian Tory vibe. The sort embodies by Toby Stephens, Sam Claflin, Max Irons, etc. Tyrner is cless handsome and more snively than all of them.

You need someone a bit more rugged and capable in the action. The worst 007's have always looked proxy in the fights. Both Connery and Craig work because you believe they as men of action.

I can see Jamie Dornan kicking ass. He looks like he's had a sweaty fight here:

27016986-8206053-image-m-50_1586462567357.jpg

b7ec1fe6002b0bb5b7484e5b16988f3e.gif

Plus, he has a certain Bruce Wayne/Batman vibe about him....if R-Patz didn;t get that role, he'd have been perfect.

anigif_sub-buzz-12044-1518742344-1.gif
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Callum Turner is sadly all wrong. He has that swarmy Etonian Tory vibe. The sort embodies by Toby Stephens, Sam Claflin, Max Irons, etc. Tyrner is cless handsome and more snively than all of them.
    It's interesting that you say that @Pierce2Daniel cause I've also been getting the opposite opinion from others, and saying he's too far the other way, and comes across as a low class London boy - which he does play into in The Capture

... so as an actor I think he's capable of finding a perfect balance - and given the right training and time (which we seem to have) to prepare, Turner could definitely be the guy you believe could kill someone and charm someone in the same breathe - in my opinion. I also think he has the potential to be bigger than the names you listed.

The problem I have with Dornan; is he's more good looking than he is a good actor. With Turner, for example, I think he's a good enough actor, and while I can understand why someone wouldn't, I do see the attraction to him - but overall it's just the acting talent that puts Turner above Dornan - for me.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,526
    I just feel like, with Dornan, you're only looking at his look, and his temperment. You're ignoring the fact that the man cannot act.
    I just feel like, with Dornan, you're only looking at his look, and his temperment. You're ignoring the fact that the man cannot act.

Watch My Dinner with Herve. He's terrific in it...

But, you're right he certainly has the look to be 007.....he's as pretty as Brosnan, but has that dangerous vibe of Dalton

tumblr_oz2gdqWE3X1sn9kiko2_500.gifv
    Personally I don't think he has the look either, I was just making a comment on what it seemed like you were focusing on. I'll concede I haven't seen Dornan in a lot of movies, but even after what I have seen, I'd be extremely disappointed if he were cast.
    I take solace in my thought that no one suggested in these threads will be cast as the next Bond.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    I wish Jack O'Connell wasn't such a shrimp. He's got the swagger and acting chops to own Bond.
    Let's say, nobody from any large film franchise, be it MCU, DCU, LOTR & The Hobbit, Fifty Shades, etc. ;)
    I know that also excludes my own favourite Luke Evans (who's already out due age). :(
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Let's say, nobody from any large film franchise, be it MCU, DCU, LOTR & The Hobbit, Fifty Shades, etc. ;)
    I know that also excludes my own favourite Luke Evans (who's already out due age).
    I agree but I do think it depends on how well known they are in that role. If they're quite obscure in those franchises, I think they should still be considered, but "big stars" from those franchise are out of bounds I think.

And amen to that @DrClatterhand The only reason he's not at the top of my list.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I don't think Turner seems too Eton, that seems a bit wrong to me. I think he can obviously do a range, I'm just yet to see him show that extra something as a lead. But I wouldn't like to say he can't do that: I just haven't seen it from him.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

Based on that clip, he needs to age another 10 years to (perhaps) look convincing.