Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

On a different note, I found these photos of Henry Cavill online. These were taken when he was very young and hadn't quite matured into the man he is today. He was a lot of twink energy. I think those suggesting slightly young cutesy actors have a point: These actors mature! Especially by the time they are eventually hired as Bond.

EYZK7AKWkAI6Bnl?format=jpg&name=medium
    EYZK7ALWAAEbIHS?format=jpg&name=medium
    EYZK7AMWsAMnt80?format=jpg&name=medium
    EYZK7ANX0AUR-X5?format=jpg&name=medium

If he was English, I'd say Timothée Chalamet should be Bond. he has the same boyish vibe of Cavill here and looks like in 10 years will mature into a wonderfully mature Bond. I'm convinced he's this generation's Daniel Day-Lewis. I'm telling you Chalamet is going to Batman by the time he's 34. He could be a great Bond.....maybe in a few years? He has Timothy Dalton or Christian Bale energy. He can do an English accent as evidenced in The King.

MCDLIWO_CO022.jpg

I think we need to think younger as outline in my post above. Actors in their 20's preferably who can mature into the role. Having said that I see real potential in @Univex suggestion of this Stuart bloke......however, he'll need to get some more exposure. I can't see Eon betting big on him, especially after the success of Daniel Craig in the role.

Stuart will need to work hard to get his name out there. Currently, he's a bit of a nobody. But that could change and his name would rocket up the list for me. Let's wait and see.

Baz has chime in regarding the race and has floated Sope Dirisu....anyone seen Gangs of London yet? This guy seems a serious actor with a career in the Royal Shakespeare Company and proper West End theatre. I think at 29, he looks mature enough to handle Bond. He certainly reminds me of a more grizzled Idris Elba.....someone to keep an eye on.

Sope+Dirisu+Day+Championships+Wimbledon+Stella+2eo-tLyGqRLl.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,834
    I agree that we should be considering younger, but not in their 20s; maybe for a future, future Bond, but I think around 30 is the youngest we should be looking at for Bond 26.

Actors like Sope Dirisu could well be considered, but actors like Timothee Chalamet - not for a long time.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Univex wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I’d be happy with a suitable unknown, or lower profile actor.

Like Stuart Martin or Aidan Turner ;)

Aidan Turner....yes.

I don’t know who Stuart Martin is! 🤣😂

KwXYksCh_400x400.jpg

mvou7a6kpgm3rxzeseqn.jpg

Stuart-Martin-2-scaled-624x692-c-center.jpg

He's Scottish, btw. Mind you, I'd rather have Aidan Turner in the role :)

Never seen or heard of him. But I’ll keep a look out.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,665
    Still say this is the best candidate for it. Just cut his hair and put him to work.

f678c015f4d10f5931a1f2b5177027ba.gif

b4a3d7e032ec7f76c22e32a559ae8171.gif
  • I certainly get the Hugh Jackman comparison with Martin, but I can see something of the other Bond actors in him as well. In this pic I can see Connery around the eyes (maybe it's the brows) and I can see a bit of Brosnan too. He's even got Craig's ears!

Stuart-Martin-6-scaled-1296x864-c-center.jpg
    A total mixture Bond, a Bond blend :)
  • Univex wrote: »

LOL Maybe the perfect Bond amalgamation. I'm still firmly in the Aidan camp but if Martin's profile increases in the next few years...

LOL Maybe the perfect Bond amalgamation. I'm still firmly in the Aidan camp but if Martin's profile increases in the next few years...

Me too.
    Yeah a bit of a dark horse this Martin fella, I watched some bts stuff of him earlier, seems cool. Though I think his casting screams Wolverine plays Connery Bond.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    It’s funny picturing Aiden Turner in Spectre with Monica Bellucci; some serious Oedipus vibes going on.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I understand people like Elba but saying he would solve all of James Bond's problems is a bit weak, and actually I've found personally that a lot of the hype is dying down around Elba. It's definitely not as strong as it used to be, and I personally don't even think he's that great of an actor and hasn't made great choices, plus the fact that he'd be on his way to mid-50s by the time Bond 26 is probably even on its way to be being made, makes him even less likely.

We've been with the same (great) actor for 14 years, plus another 5 probably if you include a break for casting and such. I think if they want Bond 26 to get people excited they need to make it feel fresh and new again. Carrying on the continuity or even rebooting with Elba wouldn't be doing this. I also don't think Elba would be Bond, he'd be Idris Elba sleeping with women and killing people. If that makes sense.

Completely agree.

Idris Elba billion dollar Bond what utter nonsense.

What is this hard on with Elba, he rarely has been on a par with his turn in The Wire as Stringer Bell.

Certainly not moping about in a grubby overcoat solving ludicrous crimes (with a granted great theme tune from Massive Attack) certainly isn't that.

Elba isn't really going anywhere fast.

The next Bond will be a relative nobody and certainly not some actor approaching 50 who has a a name mostly for the fact certain people think he should the first black Bond.

It certainly does keep me amused though hearing such nonsense from someone who thinks MI6 is his own entertainment blog.

I loved Idris Elba in The Wire, but can't help to think that his career afterwards never lived up to it. He's a star at being a star. Great actor, but he hasn't had a great role for nearly twenty years now. I guess that's why he's often mentioned for Bond, in spite of his age. But let's face it: his name does not bring people to the cinema.
    Still say this is the best candidate for it. Just cut his hair and put him to work.

One of the best, most viable and ‘sane’ suggestions on this thread.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,665

And the voting confirmed it, blatantly.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

If he's cast, I'll be on board and I do think he'd be good, but I can't help but feel that because he's been mentioned and had his name thrown around for so long, it wouldn't be that exciting if he is - but we'll see. Although I should again stress that other suggestions aren't void or not 'sane' because they aren't him :)
    I also think his casting could very much depend on timing, but again the only person I've seen be suggested that I would fully write-off is Idris Elba.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Not sure about Bond but Dirisu is a star in ascendance if his turn in Gangs of London is anything to go by.

He easily outshines the one note performance of Joe Cole, the only bum note in Evans series .

Loved GOL and didn't mind the last episode that seemed divisive, the ending definitely leaves things open for more interesting developments. If you take into account how Gareth developed the magnificent first Raid film into its outstanding sequel.

I think if GOL gets picked up for a 2nd season (and it looks likely) things could get very interesting.

If he's cast, I'll be on board and I do think he'd be good, but I can't help but feel that because he's been mentioned and had his name thrown around for so long, it wouldn't be that exciting if he is - but we'll see. Although I should again stress that other suggestions aren't void or not 'sane' because they aren't him :)
    I also think his casting could very much depend on timing, but again the only person I've seen be suggested that I would fully write-off is Idris Elba.

Agreed. There have been plenty of other reasonable suggestions (Fassbender, Hiddleston, Bale, Cavill) as well as some lunatic unsuitable random ones.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Agreed. There have been plenty of other reasonable suggestions (Fassbender, Hiddleston, Bale, Cavill) as well as some lunatic unsuitable random ones.
    Although I am intrigued by which ones you consider lunatic and unsuitable?

I also don't think Fassbender, Hiddleston, Bale, Cavill are suitable or reasonable - anymore anyway.

I don't think EON are going to cast anyone whose been apart of the DCEU or MCU, which could also mean Richard Madden is a possible write-off - although as his success in The Eternals is yet to be determined who knows?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    [removed]
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Aidan Turner....yes.

KwXYksCh_400x400.jpg

mvou7a6kpgm3rxzeseqn.jpg

These photos really illustrate my problem with Martin; without a beard he has a really weak lower face, particularly jawline. Bond cannot be beard dependent.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 14,799
    talos7 wrote: »

Aidan Turner....yes.

KwXYksCh_400x400.jpg

mvou7a6kpgm3rxzeseqn.jpg

These photos really illustrate my problem with Martin; without a beard he has a really weak lower face, particularly jawline. Bond cannot be beard dependent.

Alas nowadays it seems that for many actor to look manly they need to look like Captain Haddock. And even a beard is no guarantee that they won't come off as hipsters.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 108

Once again I just don't see it. Admittedly you have to go back about seven years to get a look at a shaven Martin, but when you do I see a solid lower face and the kind of granite chin you could break your fist on. Take a look at Martin's showreel on this page and the interview scene from Danny Boyle's Babylon from about 1:25.

https://www.independenttalent.com/actors/stuart-martin/
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Once again I just don't see it. Admittedly you have to go back about seven years to get a look at a shaven Martin, but when you do I see a solid lower face and the kind of granite chin you could break your fist on. Take a look at Martin's showreel on this page and the interview scene from Danny Boyle's Babylon from about 1:25.

I have, and see someone with a weak jaw who forgot to put in his dentures; he looks great with the beard 😏

Just change the headline to "James Bond on life in lockdown, while in Jamaica". ;)

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/fashion/article/luke-evans-lockdown
    Just change the headline to "James Bond on life in lockdown, while in Jamaica". ;)

Still the best man for the job, I reckon. But everyone wants baby Bond now.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Interesting suggestions, I haven't heard of or seen either Sope Dirisu or Stuart Martin in action before, but both certainly seem to have that mature, experienced look that Bond should have I think.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

I don't know. He kinda falls into the Idris Elba/Tom Hiddleston category for me, and I don't know if he'd actually be as good as people think. I do think actors who are about 30 (no younger) now should be considered (by us at least) for Bond 26, as who knows where EON are gonna want to go with it, and how long it's gonna take them to even get the film made.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,861

Checking them both out, I think Dirisu's makes him look a more convincing candidate because the roles in his showreel (from 2018) have a bit more Bond to them:

Looking at a couple of clips from Gangs of London, even more so. Handsome chap, too.

Doesn't mean Stuart Martin can't do it of course, it's just his showreel seems to be lighter, slightly weedier roles.

I don't know. He kinda falls into the Idris Elba/Tom Hiddleston category for me, and I don't know if he'd actually be as good as people think. I do think actors who are about 30 (no younger) now should be considered (by us at least) for Bond 26, as who knows where EON are gonna want to go with it, and how long it's gonna take them to even get the film made.

I agree with you. I definitely don't think he should replace Craig at this point, he'll be geriatric. I just think he'd have made a great Bond.

I'm not very interested in suggestions for Craig's replacement, to be honest. That film I still think will be the better part of a decade until release, and (with any luck) none of us will have any idea who the actor is that replaces Craig (a true unknown).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm not very interested in suggestions for Craig's replacement, to be honest. That film I still think will be the better part of a decade until release

Eek, fingers crossed not. But I couldn't be confident in saying you're wrong :(
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm not very interested in suggestions for Craig's replacement, to be honest. That film I still think will be the better part of a decade until release
    Eek, fingers crossed not. But I couldn't be confident in saying you're wrong :(
    Again it's another reason why I think all bets are off now, and no suggestions - no matter age particularly - are void because who knows how old or how successful the actor suggested will be or become by the time the film's being made?