"Just One More Thing..." - The COLUMBO Discussion Thread

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    The first one was called "Prescription Murder" and starring Gerry Berry. Ironically his character is doctor Flemming. LOL It's got a couple of great scenes and a wonderful gotcha. You can tell that Falk is still trying to find the character so not everything is as smooth as the 1971 pilot. Worth a look if you can find it.
    I need the pilots before moving to episode 2
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    patb wrote: »
    I need the pilots before moving to episode 2

Are you quite sure you don't have them there already? I have the cigar boxset and both of those episodes are included in the package. The episodes are called Presciption: Murder and Ransom for a Dead Man. That first episode was meant as a standalone whereas the second episode was the actual pilot for what was soon to become the Columbo series proper.
    Arh = label on the box says 35 DVDs only 33 in the box - my brother borrowed the set before I got to view any of them - will have to call him
    thedove wrote: »
    The first one was called "Prescription Murder" and starring Gerry Berry. Ironically his character is doctor Flemming. LOL It's got a couple of great scenes and a wonderful gotcha. You can tell that Falk is still trying to find the character so not everything is as smooth as the 1971 pilot. Worth a look if you can find it.
    I think Prescription: Murder is essential Columbo, because of the scene in which the murderer explains (in a roundabout way, without actually confessing) why he committed the crime, analyzing in certain detail the moral and practical considerations of his actions. In later episodes this aspect will not be frequently explored, and when explored, it won't be at great length. One could argue it would be repetitive to do so. But Flemming's chillingly amoral mentality can easily be understood to be shared by several other murderers on the show (not all, however, as some murders are committed in more complicated circumstances).
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 17,269
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I find Murder by the Book slightly overrated, myself. I tend to prefer its two predecessors, and its immediate successor. It's still a good episode for sure.

I can understand why you would prefer Prescription: Murder, Ransom for a Dead Man and Death Lends a Hand to Murder by the Book. For some reason it just stands out for me among the other episodes, and it's the episode I'm most likely to watch if I'm in the mood for some Columbo. Also, any episode featuring Jack Cassidy as the killer, is an entertaining watch!
    Arh = label on the box says 35 DVDs only 33 in the box - my brother borrowed the set before I got to view any of them - will have to call him

Yes, I thought it might have been something like that. Hopefully you can get those back again. If you are continuing with the series in the meantime the next episode Death Lends a Hand with Robert Culp is my personal favourite from the series.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,599
    If I get stopped by the police "visiting my brother to get the pilot episodes of Columbo" is hardly essential so "Death Lends a Hand" tonight.
    If I get stopped by the police "visiting my brother to get the pilot episodes of Columbo" is hardly essential so "Death Lends a Hand" tonight.

True. You can always catch them later. The series episodes are more representative of the show itself of course, so not to worry.

A fun little fact: Death Lends a Hand was the actual first episode of the Columbo series to be filmed but it was decided to open Season 1 with Murder by the Book which was filmed after it.
    I think Prescription: Murder is essential Columbo, because of the scene in which the murderer explains (in a roundabout way, without actually confessing) why he committed the crime, analyzing in certain detail the moral and practical considerations of his actions. In later episodes this aspect will not be frequently explored, and when explored, it won't be at great length. One could argue it would be repetitive to do so. But Flemming's chillingly amoral mentality can easily be understood to be shared by several other murderers on the show (not all, however, as some murders are committed in more complicated circumstances).

I may just have to give it a re-watch. Is this the scene with Falk and Berry talking over a glass of bourbon? I love that scene. Either way it's been a while since I have watched it and I think it will be in my Blu Ray player soon. :)

I may just have to give it a re-watch. Is this the scene with Falk and Berry talking over a glass of bourbon? I love that scene. Either way it's been a while since I have watched it and I think it will be in my Blu Ray player soon. :)

That's the scene. I love it too. For backup purposes I ripped my Columbo DVDs to my computer and I find myself watching that single scene every once in a while.
    Loved episode 2, a real classic IMHO. A couple of thoughts. Was that really him playing the golf shot? Culp was excellent. One thing that comes across from that era was the quality of the supporting actors. Not superstars but they really add to the series. Does not seem to be so true anymore. Episode three tomorrow.
    Yes you will be amazed in future episodes who turns up and in sometimes minor roles. I think this was at a time when many actors were looking for work. Some were no longer viable as film actors so they adjusted to TV. We also can't underestimate the power of Falk and the show as a draw. Other actors wanted to be on the show because they knew the quality was good. Plus they got to act with a highly respected actor in Falk.

I only hope if they re-boot the series. (great article on Columbo-phile on this) they get someone esteemed to play the role and they spend the money on the cast.
    I had read that Mark Ruffalo was interested?
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 646
    Loved episode 2, a real classic IMHO. A couple of thoughts. Was that really him playing the golf shot? Culp was excellent. One thing that comes across from that era was the quality of the supporting actors. Not superstars but they really add to the series. Does not seem to be so true anymore. Episode three tomorrow.
    Episode 2, “Death Lends a Hand” is definitely the best episode of season 1. Robert Culp was indeed great (he was great in all 3 of his appearances as the murderer) but Ross Martin (in “Suitable for Framing”) is probably my favorite murderer from season 1. He and Falk had great chemistry (Martin had actually been Falk’s acting teacher at one point) and the “gotcha” moment at the end of that episode is one of the best in the entire series. Martin is totally speechless!!

Speaking of season 1 favorites I would pick Billy Goldenberg’s score for “Lady in Waiting” as my favorite from season 1. It was actually the one Columbo score to be nominated for an Emmy that season. It’s sublime!!

So it's "Dead Weight" tonight
    edited April 2020 Posts: 17,780
    So it's "Dead Weight" tonight

That's a good one too, though not everyone likes it. It is quite a unique sort of case for Columbo to investigate. I really like the performance of the guest star Eddie Albert (I think the second oldest killer in the series after Ruth Gordon) and Suzanne Pleshette is brilliant too of course.
    Falk was in a contract dispute during the filming and was AWOL for some of the shoot. It didn't please Suzanne at all as she thought it was poor form. I rather liked Albert's turn as the killer. He brought a quiet menace to the role.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,599
    Enjoyed it but not as good as others. The age gap was too big between killer and the witness (Culp would have been good but he can't be in all of the them), and the pay off is a little weak but still entertaining and some great scenes. (Columbo never asked the killer how he found the womans address?)

Just watched "Suitable for Framing" - good one IMHO, never guessed the pay off, very clever.
    I imagine the regulars of this thread have seen this by now, but posting it just in case:

https://columbophile.com/2020/04/23/the-best-columbo-lookalikes/

=))
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    I had read that Mark Ruffalo was interested?

Mark Ruffalo would be perfect casting if they ever wanted to continue with the show.
    Very interesting scene right at the end of the Eddie Albert episide. Columbo is trying to comfort a witness with a story about his niece. In a nice way, she asks "Columbo, do you even have a niece?" This begs the question, how much of what we see is actually made up by himself as a strategy? His clothes, his car? and how much of what we see is genuine? Happy to be corrected but we never see him at home. Is Columbo some type of Batman character? The rain coated crusader? (In another episode, he pretends to have never played golf and then, to give the audience a clue as to the level of his deceipt, he hits a perfect golf stroke)
    That's part of what makes the character so great. His unseen wife, his crazy relatives that he mentions through-out the run of the series. Is he making it up or is there a kernel of truth is

You are correct @patb we never see Columbo's home. I think for sure the car and coat are part of an act to get his pray to underestimate him.
    Very interesting scene right at the end of the Eddie Albert episide. Columbo is trying to comfort a witness with a story about his niece. In a nice way, she asks "Columbo, do you even have a niece?" This begs the question, how much of what we see is actually made up by himself as a strategy? His clothes, his car? and how much of what we see is genuine? Happy to be corrected but we never see him at home. Is Columbo some type of Batman character? The rain coated crusader? (In another episode, he pretends to have never played golf and then, to give the audience a clue as to the level of his deceipt, he hits a perfect golf stroke)
    Hey patb, are you still continuing with your Columbo viewings or have you stopped for now?

I got distracted by other stuff (Virtual Nascar? but thanks for the nudge, "Short Fuse" tonight
    I got distracted by other stuff (Virtual Nascar? but thanks for the nudge, "Short Fuse" tonight

This one was rushed into the schedule because the first few episodes had performed so well. I rather enjoyed it but it does have some holes.

This one was rushed into the schedule because the first few episodes had performed so well. I rather enjoyed it but it does have some holes.
    For whatever reason I could never really get into Roddy’s childlike performance. Something about it just seemed off for me. And at the end he totally loses it on the cable car and becomes a laughing lunatic. Weird.

Just watched it. The final cable car scene could have been wonderfully tense but thee for the whole movie was relatively light in tone and Roddy's performance way off. Shame, could have been a classic, "Blurprint for Murder" next (no spoilers please :-)
    Just watched it. The final cable car scene could have been wonderfully tense but thee for the whole movie was relatively light in tone and Roddy's performance way off. Shame, could have been a classic, "Blurprint for Murder" next (no spoilers please :-)
    What happened to Lady in Waiting? I find it quite underrated.

Oh yes, sorry, watched that, one of the disadvantages of stuff from that era is you get destracted by the other roles of the actors, so here, we had the Six Million Dollar Man and Airplane (you forget LN was a serious actor), Airplane has become so iconic,
    anyway, yes, enjoyable but I got the "clue" as soon as it happened so the "reveal" was rather a letdown.