No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited April 2020 Posts: 2,436
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I was very surprised that Mendes wasn't that eager to return(Not that I wanted him to). But like Craig returning to Correct SP, Mendes Should have returned Strong & Possibly Top SF, Just to remind everyone he was the Man who Directed SF.....Even Thomas Newman might....just might have taken the Score to another Level. But am very happy we ended up with Fukunaga & Zimmer.

I wasn't, he nearly walked out on Spectre ... and then there's those rumours that may or may not be true that he fell out with Craig.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    There was an interview somewhere that stated mendes had another idea for Craig’s fifth film

Directors always have ideas to throw around... he spoke briefly about Bond being retired maybe he even brought up Logan as an inspiration if I recall correctly. But since he already put this theme in SF in a way I highly doubt that he would’ve been able to craft a strong film with a unique identity for a third time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

No. Robert F. Kennedy Jr has launced a petition for an investigation of the Gates foundation. Check it out for some sobering information.
    Apropos of the VOD debate: would NTTD need to have a cinematic release in order to be eligible for the Academy Awards?
    A generation ago that wouldn't have been a concern, of course, but Bond films are increasingly 'prestige' pictures, and I wonder if another crack at Oscar in some substantive categories (supporting actors, editing, sound, cinematography, music) would be an inducement for EON. . .
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I was very surprised that Mendes wasn't that eager to return(Not that I wanted him to). But like Craig returning to Correct SP, Mendes Should have returned Strong & Possibly Top SF, Just to remind everyone he was the Man who Directed SF.....Even Thomas Newman might....just might have taken the Score to another Level. But am very happy we ended up with Fukunaga & Zimmer.

As far as all of this goes, I realize that the past is behind us now and we can't change it. But - and I've said this before - it does sort of underline some of the hazards of the slower pace that EON is taking now with these films.

I'll be clear here that the outbreak is not EON's fault and they couldn't possibly foresee it. Still, I'm sure they're wishing that NTTD had been released last year, and they were using this shutdown time to chip away on a new screenplay, find a new actor, and count their billion-dollar box office.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    octofinger wrote: »
    Apropos of the VOD debate: would NTTD need to have a cinematic release in order to be eligible for the Academy Awards?
    A generation ago that wouldn't have been a concern, of course, but Bond films are increasingly 'prestige' pictures, and I wonder if another crack at Oscar in some substantive categories (supporting actors, editing, sound, cinematography, music) would be an inducement for EON. . .

Yes, the current requirements are at least one week, I think.

I have a feeling that is one thing that might change very soon, though.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,164

Yeah, the Academy I believe is meeting this week to discuss this very issue, especially as it's the awards type films that are most affected by this and are most likely to pivot to VOD

New interview with Fukunaga, in conversation with director Miranda July
    https://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/cary-fukunaga-miranda-july-spring-issue-2020
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    antovolk wrote: »

Yeah, the Academy I believe is meeting this week to discuss this very issue, especially as it's the awards type films that are most affected by this and are most likely to pivot to VOD

New interview with Fukunaga, in conversation with director Miranda July
    https://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/cary-fukunaga-miranda-july-spring-issue-2020

Awesome!

Just seen that CJF post about this! this man is so handsome....

CARY FUKUNAGA TELLS MIRANDA JULY HOW BOND NEARLY BROKE HIM

CARY-FUKUNAGA-2-1019x1536.jpg
    CARYCARY-1019x1536.jpg

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Warner Bros has delayed a big part of their 2021 and beyond slate.

The Batman has been delayed by 4 months, to October 2021. The Flash pushed to June 2022, Shazam 2 to November 2022, the Sopranos sequel has been pushed to March 2021.

• @antovolk Favourite bit from the interview: " I swear to god, I had an idea that this movie could all be taking place inside the villain’s lair from the last film. There’s this scene where a needle goes into James Bond’s head, which is supposed to make him forget everything, and then he miraculously escapes by a watch bomb. And then he and Léa blow up the place, and go on to save the day. I was like, “What if everything up until the end of act two is all inside his head?”"
    The_Return wrote: »
    @antovolk Favourite bit from the interview: " I swear to god, I had an idea that this movie could all be taking place inside the villain’s lair from the last film. There’s this scene where a needle goes into James Bond’s head, which is supposed to make him forget everything, and then he miraculously escapes by a watch bomb. And then he and Léa blow up the place, and go on to save the day. I was like, “What if everything up until the end of act two is all inside his head?”"

Cary probably read this theory that was floating around on Reddit back then.

Yeah, the Academy I believe is meeting this week to discuss this very issue, especially as it's the awards type films that are most affected by this and are most likely to pivot to VOD.

Thank you, @antovolk

Not unsurprising. I think it's good that they are having this conversation, even if it took a pandemic to make it happen.

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Cary seems really cool. I do hope he enjoyed himself at least a little bit. Seems like making a Bond film isn’t very enjoyable for most directors.
    Hate to be negative but eon shot themselves in the foot with the endless delays.

They should have never got involved with Boyle and really pushed for a December 2019 release with fukunaga.

It was said fukunaga was in talks with brocolli before Boyle anyway.

That’s some “hindsight is 20/20” logic at work. Creative differences happen. No one could have predicted Boyle leaving the project or the outbreak of a worldwide virus. Stop blaming EON for circumstances that are either out of their control or simply part of the creative process. It’s like blaming someone for getting furloughed during this pandemic by saying “you really shot yourself in foot by pursuing your dream job months before an unpredictable world-altering event occurred.” It sounds ridiculous because it is.

Burgess wrote: »
    Hate to be negative but eon shot themselves in the foot with the endless delays.

They should have never got involved with Boyle and really pushed for a December 2019 release with fukunaga.

It was said fukunaga was in talks with brocolli before Boyle anyway.

That’s some “hindsight is 20/20” logic at work. Creative differences happen. No one could have predicted Boyle leaving the project or the outbreak of a worldwide virus. Stop blaming EON for circumstances that are either out of their control or simply part of the creative process. It’s like blaming someone for getting furloughed during this pandemic by saying “you really shot yourself in foot by pursuing your dream job months before an unpredictable world-altering event occurred.” It sounds ridiculous because it is.

Yeah, but......"the truth hurts". ;)
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 1,693
    "All in his head"???....................... Perhaps the whole foster bros. scenario was all a delusion? One can dream.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Are we sure the whole Fukunaga piece isn’t satire? That whole quote about the last part of the movie being in Bond’s head is such a weird fan theory that I can’t fathom Fukunaga would actually say this seriously.
    And then at the end of the interview is this:

Sorry, I can’t take this seriously.
  • Are we sure the whole Fukunaga piece isn’t satire? That whole quote about the last part of the movie being in Bond’s head is such a weird fan theory that I can’t fathom Fukunaga would actually say this seriously.
    And then at the end of the interview is this:

Sorry, I can’t take this seriously.

I don't think it's satire, it reads more like two old friends goofing off with each other than an actual parody of an interview per se.
    Meh. Myself and others have my opinion and you have yours. Let’s respectfully leave it at that.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 1,261
    I think the VOD market would be very small, and it's hard to imagine a pricing structure that would make it worthwhile.

I'm thinking of the millions of people in, say, southeast Asia who are Bond fans and would gladly stump up a few bucks to see it in cinema, but who don't have a credit card, or access to home streaming.

$20 to rent for 48 hours is what Universal's been pioneering. And local platforms and solutions - along with global players like iTunes - exist in those territories too. All you need is a laptop or smartphone at least...

You're being ignorant towards piracy. You will loose a huge chunk of money once that occurs.

I think the pandemic has to get much worse before we get into a situation where VOD becomes realistic. If it's still a problem in August/September, they'll push NTTD to summer 2021.

I'm fed up of this 'I want it now!' mentality. People need to be patient and wait for theatres to re-open and this disaster to subside. There are far more pressing issues than whether we get our precious Bond film or not.

Fully agree on this. There are more urgent matters now, than watching the new Bond film asap. I would like to watch it even now, but things are the way they are, we have to accept these circumstances and do our best to cope with them. Even if that means, to have to wait longer for NTTD hitting the movie screens
    I think the VOD market would be very small, and it's hard to imagine a pricing structure that would make it worthwhile.

I'm thinking of the millions of people in, say, southeast Asia who are Bond fans and would gladly stump up a few bucks to see it in cinema, but who don't have a credit card, or access to home streaming.

$20 to rent for 48 hours is what Universal's been pioneering. And local platforms and solutions - along with global players like iTunes - exist in those territories too. All you need is a laptop or smartphone at least...

You're being ignorant towards piracy. You will loose a huge chunk of money once that occurs.

I think the pandemic has to get much worse before we get into a situation where VOD becomes realistic. If it's still a problem in August/September, they'll push NTTD to summer 2021.

I'm fed up of this 'I want it now!' mentality. People need to be patient and wait for theatres to re-open and this disaster to subside. There are far more pressing issues than whether we get our precious Bond film or not.

Fully agree on this. There are more urgent matters now, than watching the new Bond film asap. I would like to watch it even now, but things are the way they are, we have to accept these circumstances and do our best to cope with them. Even if that means, to have to wait longer for NTTD hitting the movie screens

True. I’ve accepted this myself as hard as it is.

I’m praying for people and everyone in our community here’s safety.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,247

Agreed.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,548
    That whole "happens in Bond's head" idea was floated right after the film came out. I quote Franich, in his article: "Here’s an answer: It’s all in Bond’s head. Because he is dying on Blofeld’s operating table."

Read the entire piece here: https://ew.com/article/2015/11/10/spectre-ending/

Wow. Calling this b******t (I refuse to call it “idea”) a “serious attempt” to explain something that doesn’t even need a word to be explained is hilarious at least.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    @antovolk Favourite bit from the interview: " I swear to god, I had an idea that this movie could all be taking place inside the villain’s lair from the last film. There’s this scene where a needle goes into James Bond’s head, which is supposed to make him forget everything, and then he miraculously escapes by a watch bomb. And then he and Léa blow up the place, and go on to save the day. I was like, “What if everything up until the end of act two is all inside his head?”"

I thought I read that on here too! An interesting theory but it sounds like he didn't go through with it.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    matt_u wrote: »

I thought I read that on here too! An interesting theory but it sounds like he didn't go through with it.

When I read the article, I interpreted the comments as tongue in cheek. Either way it sounds like Cary gave this his all which is a very good sign.
    Wow. Making a Bond movie broke him? Snowflake much? You don't hear this from other directors who made classic bond films.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Wow. Making a Bond movie broke him? Snowflake much? You don't hear this from other directors who made classic bond films.

More expectations today I suppose. I think Mendes said something similar.
    Its too bad the experience was so intense for Cary. Makes me doubt he'll be back for the next film.

Indeed. May they rest in peace.